I want my hour back.

Started by GabrielsThoughts, September 18, 2007, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

President Bush has signed a bill that  pushed daylight savings to November. This is supposedly in an effort to save energy, but I think the whole idea is stupid. The original Idea behind daylight savings time was so that farmers would get up with the sun at the same time of day, but a farmer gets up with the sun anyway. If this is an effort to save energy then it makes  no  sense at all.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/daylight-saving-time/usa/dst-2007.htm

http://www.news.com/Daylight+saving+change+could+confuse+gadgets/2100-1041_3-5823792.html
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 18, 2007, 11:58:39 AMThe original Idea behind daylight savings time was so that farmers would get up with the sun at the same time of day

This is a common misconception.  Turns out that farmers actually hate DST because it gives them less time to get their crops to the market.

The real reason is that it gives you an extra hour of light in the long summer evenings and it allows you to wake up to more light in the darker winter months.

And the first guy to propose it was Ben Franklin, I do believe.  He wanted to save candles.  That way, you don't need those candles on the long summer evenings.

But don't get me started on the ``leap hour'' idea.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fuyudenki

Daylight Savings is an annoying, and generally stupid practice, agreed.

I thought Ben Franklin originally proposed Daylight Savings time to help the US save money on lamp oil, and in fact, we do save money on lighting because of it, but still...

I don't like having to adjust my clock twice a year.  In fact, I usually just leave it as it is, and mentally adjust.

Ryudo Lee

Everyone alwasy complains about DST and having to change their clocks.  I can't complain about it though.  The only clock of mine that I ever have to change is the one in my car.  All the others are my computers, cell phone, etc that change automatically for me.  Heck, even my alarm clock sets itself.  Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

rt

A few weeks after we changed early here the news reported the effort to save energy was a failure. All the people went out driving around in there newly aquired daytime hours, burining more gase than they would have.

The plan seems to not have worked  :<

Turnsky

you now can feel australia's pain.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

TheDXM

And unfortunately your only recourse, moving to Indiana, just lost it's purpose.

This whole thing ticked me off pretty good because not everyone was going to know about the change automatically and it could cause ALOT of people to end up late for a shift when normally they'd be fine. Granted, it would only happen for one day out the year, and maybe a few after that, but it's still a big fat bother when you consider the ramifacations of so many people having the potential to be late on the same day.

Another thing is that all the automated systems out there that function on the old DST system will have to be reset. Even your computer is going to need an update for it to be able to automatically adjust for DST. Unless you'd like to fix everything in your house manually twice a year.

Finally, DST is pretty much outdated as it is. I know this because I work a night shift. I don't care how much light there is when I wake up for when I have to get to work, that's what head lights and street lamps are for. It might surprise you, mister Bush, but this is the twenty first century and nobody uses oil lamps and drawn carriages anymore!

DarkAudit

I thought this was going to be an American Idol thread.

(or nearly any "America! You get to vote for your favorite!" show)
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Reese Tora

originally thought this would be a complaint about a TV show or movie...

Daylight savings time... meh

The enhancements to road safety are negligible, IMO.
The energy saving is a joke, as the largest energy consumers run thier lights in the day anyway!
The only remaining excuse, daylight for shool children, isn't even valid, as you still end up with a lot of children out after dark in the evenings (or while it's still dark in the mornings) becasue of various extracurricular activities.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

GabrielsThoughts

and speaking of hours that I won't get back... Borat, A.I., The Wickerman Re-make, The Shaggy Dog remake, Electra, Duplicate, Kite, the second Kill Bill movie, Charlie's Angels full throttle, the Pink panther remake, and epic movie.

EDIT: I'd put the spy kids series  on the list if I actually watched any.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I was honestly expecting it to be a movie or show myself, suprized to find out it was about daylight savings (which I hadn't even been aware he'd been doing) And because we share a continent, the Canadians just have to go along with it *sigh*
In the Spring it happened the weekend before my March Break, so I was late to something with my friends, thinking that I still had an hour to go. I was so disoriented.

superluser

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 19, 2007, 10:43:11 PMAnd because we share a continent, the Canadians just have to go along with it *sigh*

There are plenty of places in the US that don't observe Daylight Saving Time.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yes, while that may be true, you have to bare something in mind. Although it is the United States of America, each state is still kind of... seperate.
Where as here in Canada, if one Province were to follow, say... Ontario (because of Toronto) then all the rest would do the same.

GabrielsThoughts

she's got a point. Prostitution and gambling on sports events  is legal in Nevada, Mary Jane is legal in California, um...Although killing is illegal everywhere,  if you have enough money in California you can get away with anything.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: superluser on September 19, 2007, 11:22:39 PM
There are plenty of places in the US that don't observe Daylight Saving Time.

Makes it rather interesting while crossing the Hoover dam. :P

Honestly, I couldn't care less if we kept or did away with DST.

GabrielsThoughts

I wouldn't care either as long as they gave me the hour that they took, you know by relocating me to Hawaii or something.

Netrogo

Seeings how I don't work dst really doesn't effect me in the least. I go to bed when I'm tired, wake up when I feel like it, and spend 95% of my waking hours online with people in various countries that're on different time zones then me anyways.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Netrogo

You'd think so, but it's steadfastily getting really boring :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Pick a new set of friends to talk to?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 20, 2007, 01:05:29 PMI wouldn't care either as long as they gave me the hour that they took, you know by relocating me to Hawaii or something.

But they will give it back.  Next spring.  Unless you're in the Soviet Union or something. (Stalin decided to tell everybody to turn their clocks one hour forward for DST, but forgot to tell them to turn them back in the fall, and his subordinates were too afraid to ask him about it.  So from 1930 to 1991, Russia was on DST)

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yeah... superluser has a point... we're actually gaining an hour, because our clocks are "falling back" an hour. So, stop complaining. Just wonder about what your president is on.

Quote from: Netrogo on September 20, 2007, 05:48:29 PM
So basically you find us boring  :<

Eibborn

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 20, 2007, 12:19:03 AM
Yes, while that may be true, you have to bare something in mind. Although it is the United States of America, each state is still kind of... seperate.
Where as here in Canada, if one Province were to follow, say... Ontario (because of Toronto) then all the rest would do the same.

Hello from Saskatchewan! I'm pretty sure that we're the only province that doesn't go for daylight savings. Maybe Manitoba, too...

EDIT: There was a superfluous space. :< I fixed it. 
/kicks the internet over

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 20, 2007, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: Netrogo on September 20, 2007, 05:48:29 PM
So basically you find us boring  :<

As Amber explained with the Swedish Fish episode, even your favorite anything can get boring if you have too much of it.

That's why I maintain a healthy level of contagious ADD.  Nothing keeps a game interesting like having to re-learn the controls after a few months of playing other gam-HEY, LOOK OVER THERE!

Netrogo

Quote from: Raist on September 21, 2007, 12:54:02 AM
As Amber explained with the Swedish Fish episode, even your favorite anything can get boring if you have too much of it.

That's why I maintain a healthy level of contagious ADD.  Nothing keeps a game interesting like having to re-learn the controls after a few months of playing other gam-HEY, LOOK OVER THERE!

*Pushes Raist out of the way* LEMME SEE! LEMME SEE!