9/15/07 AS #98 Plan B always come out messy

Started by Zedd, September 15, 2007, 04:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on September 17, 2007, 09:21:12 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2007, 09:03:56 AMin the grand scheme of things, it doesn't look like Hennya was much more than a normal Being anyway.

I'm sure Hennya's family would disagree.
I daresay.  The authorities might not, though.  If they are going to prioritise by class, there's going to be something of a pecking order within 'Creatures', and I suspect that Being-like Creatures will be towards the bottom of the list.  'Course, we don't know what kind of a thing Ahnora is.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, eating a creature's soul, yes.  I thought you meant a being's soul.

Either is a greater crime than simply killing said Being or Creature.

The problem is, from the Creatures' point of view, killing a Being rates somewhere around parking fines in terms of evil, so eating a Beings' soul probably rates somewhere around, oh, I dunno. Maybe 3 unpaid parking tickets? Still more evil than just killing them.

Now, from a Creatures' point of view (ie, not mine, just in case anyone thinks I'm really thinking this) killing a Creature is bad. Eating a Creatures' soul, therefore is really bad - if only because there's a -lot- of Creatures that would be happy to wander over and make life difficult for Cubi, and are likely to hold a grudge for a -long- time - bear in mind that Mythos, for example, have varied lifespans, some of which are longer than Cubi. And Hennya is almost certainly a Mythos.

-And- note that Amber has stated that if Hennya wanted to, she could have taken out Aniz before he could react - she deliberately went for a non-fatal blow, to "scare him off". Take into account that Hennya is young, and less experienced than many of her kind (one would presume, although it -is- just an assumption) an all-out war between Hennya's sub-race of Mythos and Cubi would involve a lot of fatalities on -both- sides. And I'd put money (although not much) on the Mythos eventually losing such a war; but the win would be Pyrrhic, no matter which way it went.

... this is probably reading a bit much into the minor dribs and drabs, though. And bear in mind, this is all just as I see it, not as Amber sees it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 09:57:43 AM-And- note that Amber has stated that if Hennya wanted to, she could have taken out Aniz before he could react - she deliberately went for a non-fatal blow, to "scare him off". Take into account that Hennya is young, and less experienced than many of her kind (one would presume, although it -is- just an assumption) an all-out war between Hennya's sub-race of Mythos and Cubi would involve a lot of fatalities on -both- sides. And I'd put money (although not much) on the Mythos eventually losing such a war; but the win would be Pyrrhic, no matter which way it went.

That's what I was trying to say.  (All except the bit about Hennya being able to kill Aniz if she had gone for a fatal wound.  She just said that the fight would have been over immediately had she tried it, not that she would have succeeded.)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on September 17, 2007, 10:12:01 AM
All except the bit about Hennya being able to kill Aniz if she had gone for a fatal wound.  She just said that the fight would have been over immediately had she tried it, not that she would have succeeded.

Oooo. Mrs Tailsteak is sneaky. I missed that.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2007, 08:40:29 AM
Dammit, you can only give one point of karma at once.  That deserves at least ten...
Seconded. That was one of the funniest and dead-on accurate comments I've seen on any forum for a long time. And it's such a good fit to what we've seen so far of Fa'lina's personality — I can easily see and hear her doing exactly that, right down to the >snrk< ...   ;)

BTW, how do you do that karma thing, anyway? I thought I had a link to an explanation, but I can't find it now.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You click on the Karma tags, Applaud or Smite - currently they're labelled "In a fat suit?" and "Crossdressing?", under the "John Travolta:" header above each person's avatar over on the left.

I believe, from memory, that they might not work on some of the themes. The forum default is, sadly, one of those that hasn't been fixed yet. You could try the "SMF Default" or "DMFA" themes, in that case.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 01:58:48 PM
currently they're labelled "In a fat suit?" and "Crossdressing?", under the "John Travolta:" header above each person's avatar over on the left.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. The changing labels were what confused me, but the browser status bar when I mouseover clearly shows the real links. Are there any limits, like the number awardable each day/week/whatever?

Tapewolf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 17, 2007, 02:10:15 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. The changing labels were what confused me, but the browser status bar when I mouseover clearly shows the real links. Are there any limits, like the number awardable each day/week/whatever?

I think you can only give the same person karma every 15 minutes.  If you give them good karma and bad karma in quick succession, i.e. during the 15 minutes, it will add to the bad and take away from the good.  And vice-versa.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2007, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 17, 2007, 02:10:15 PM
I think you can only give the same person karma every 15 minutes.  If you give them good karma and bad karma in quick succession, i.e. during the 15 minutes, it will add to the bad and take away from the good.  And vice-versa.

Yeah. Something like that. Of course, us moderators aren't limited in that way. Although it's tempting to see if I can limit mods to one per 2 seconds or something, just to stop insane numbers... ;-]

Alondro

Well, eating a creature's soul, yes.  I thought you meant a being's soul.

*Charline sings!*  Souls, glorious souls!  *sung to the tune of "Food, Glorious Food"... with the same connotation*   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

SpottedKitty

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 02:31:43 PM
just to stop insane numbers... ;-]
Is that anything like irrational numbers, only they're even more difficult to multiply or divide without a calculator...?   

(Sorry, maths joke, it just sorta slipped out...)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 17, 2007, 06:23:13 PM
Is that anything like irrational numbers, only they're even more difficult to multiply or divide without a calculator...?   

Well, there's certainly nothing rational about Darkmoon's karma... ;-]

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 17, 2007, 08:30:32 AM
Quote from: superluser on September 17, 2007, 08:08:25 AM
If Fa'Lina wants to keep SAIA's autonomy, she would have to respond.  Failure to do so would result in rather serious consequences.

Thank you snickering pink misstress of pain...

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 06:30:47 PM
Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 17, 2007, 06:23:13 PM

Well, there's certainly nothing rational about Darkmoon's karma... ;-]
Well, if these are supposed to represent rational thought around here, I would say that they are imaginary numbers.

By the way, with regard to Fa'lina's response to inquiries from the outside, she might encourage it in order to get volunteers for the home economics class.  After all, Home Economics is where you would get your just desserts.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Psaakyrn

You know, he can still frame Cid since presumably no one except May and Abel knows his real identity at the current moment. Of cause that involves removing witnesses; Abel's no problem since he's slated for relocation, but May's a bigger issue. I'm still taking the odds that May is about to suffer deletion.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.