Just looking for opinions. (Quickie portrait, 9/11)

Started by TheDXM, September 10, 2007, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDXM

Hi.

If all goes well this thread will serve me to expand my artistic abilities. The idea, I hope, is that I can garner some constructive criticism from this community of obviously quite talented, creative, and broadly diverse people by getting some of my work reviewed.

Please, don't hold back. If I'm terrible at something, I have the right to know, and everyone has the right to tell me so.

Also, don't expect me to update this often. Unfortunately, I don't usually finish most drawings that I start, which doesn't leave me with a lot of material.

Bits and baubels:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Jacktehripper/trevorthefirst-3.jpg (PG-13)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Jacktehripper/trevorthesecondcrop.jpg (G)

llearch n'n'daCorna

As long as you're learning something from it, it's all good. No -matter- how it sucks.

As for this pic - the head isn't bad, but the body needs work - there's no elbows, the shoulders are vague, etc etc. I'll leave it at that, but if you want a full list, I'll sit down and generate one for you; I think there's enough to be going on with just there  ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rt

I really like the face, with a few simple strokes you've done a good nose, and ears, they have some depth and the poofies inside the ears add that nice little something.

Mabey some colarbone lines will help define the sholders / neck better, though they could hide in that dark fur.

The water you arleady said yourself is hard, I can't offer any water advice. So we'll get around the water problem .. bubble bath!  ;)

techmaster-glitch

Heh heh, a few of the things you said remind me of myself, and that I'm doing almost the exactly the same thing ;)

But to the picture. I think it's cool, but unfortunately, I can't offer any advice. I'm nothing more than an amature artist myself.

xHaZxMaTx

The lines where the limbs/chest intersect with the water should be rounded to show depth, like so.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: xTaMxZaHx on September 10, 2007, 08:39:44 PM
The lines where the limbs/chest intersect with the water should be rounded to show depth, like so.

Yes, that would look much better.

It really helps if you can actually visualize what you're trying to draw as if it were real.  Helps to map out shading and lighting.  Look around at dogs and cats and people, pay attention to the shapes of heads and limbs, how bones are attached, and things like that.  For example, cats have very loose skin, which makes them look like they're wearing sweatpants when seen from behind.

If you can do that, water won't be as hard, either.  It's basically a mirror and a prism combined into one, usually with a rippled surface.  Sometimes, it may be easier if you just draw the character, then add lines and shading for water.(this will make things less safe for work, sometimes...)

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay, I've got to be honest.
I honestly didn't understand what was going on in the picture, it wasn't until xHazxMaTx (xTaMxZaHx) illustrated the details of the water.

I'm sure it was just me though, although now I see that he's actually in the tub... which is actually pretty cool.

Well, best wishes in the future of your drawing career. I too enjoy the fur of the ears, as well as also being an amature artist and unable to assist in any way.

TheDXM

Alright. As I figured I'd be drawing a lot of him in the future I decided to get a true portrait of Trevor done before the night was up. I've failed ofcoure, because it's four thirty in the morning, but hey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Jacktehripper/trevorthesecondcrop.jpg

The jump to JPG seems to have reduced the quality a bit, along with the upload, but it's acceptable.

I think this image pretty well identifies why I need to stop being so lazy, get photoshop, and finally learn how to use it. The outline drawing at the beginning was very nice, but once I got to shading, the world lost a bit of it's dignity.

Sienna Maiu - M T

nice

I see you've incorperated some of the advice you were given when it came to the collar-bones and such. I rather like the expression, although you seem to have lost the same effect that the last fluffies had.

The moon's a nice touch.