@ amber's rant (online art frustration)

Started by Jack McSlay, August 25, 2007, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

Coz I felt like it deserved a discussion...

I think the point is pretty valid, but not quite simple, coz no matter how much you try to ignore, it's hard not to get frustrated after seeing someone who gets a lot of fans for drawing stick doodles if you don't get any.
And then is not all that satisfying to only show your art only to your friends and family who get hardly any contact with art other than yourself
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

GabrielsThoughts

I believe if you look at the abel thing we have that covered. but in the effort of saying something funny twice...

looks at rant.... Okay, Amber I think your a bit paranoid, the idea that anyone thinks your personal rant is about anybody but yourself is unlikely. and this concept of "wangst" baffles and confuses me...are you talking about rolling around in the severed parts of male phallus?

and of course there is the quote from naldru...
QuoteI looked at the rant again, and came to the same conclusion that I did before.  I don't want to put words in Amber's mouth, but the following is my understanding of the situation.  It is also similar to feelings that I have heard expressed by a number of other people.

Amber is annoyed by people contacting her, believing that she has the secret knowledge of cartooning successfully and finding happiness.  Doing anything well, whether producing a webcomic, being a chef, or being a manager, is hard work.  (There are some managers who believe that they are doing well while not working hard, but the truth is that they are usually very poor managers.)  If you're not getting satisfaction from the work, Amber's statement is that you should try something else.  Don't expect somebody to come up with a secret method for reducing the amount of effort and don't expect sympathy for the fact that it's hard work.

I believe that it was Michelangelo who made a statement that he was sick and tired of people saying how sculpture and painting was so easy for him, and that he wished that they could all spend a day in his studio so that they could see how hard he worked.

She also doesn't want to supply a shoulder for the correspondents to cry on.  She isn't a social worker, and she has enough headaches of her own.

I am adding this edit for a discussion of Abel's story rather than start another entry.

If Hennya survives through next week's strip without serious injury, I believe that she will be alive at the end of the day, as will all of the other people currently in the house.  If Aniz really wants to kill somebody, now would be the time to go all out.

It is my belief that Amber has one or two plot twists in the works.  If I told you what I think one of them will be, you'll claim I'm crazy.  (I may be crazy already, but I'm not stupid.)  There is also the possibility that Amber will read all of our proposed plot lines, and make sure that the final plot is "none of the above".
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sid

Quote from: Amber's Rant[...]and how angry they are that this artist gets so much attention for doing only a sliver of what they do and BLA BLA BLA BLA....why do people do this?! Why do people like to make themselves a big old pile of wangst and roll around in it for a few hours then complain about how miserable they are over it?

Hah! I once was so totally guilty of that one. (Not with this name, not with writing.) Years ago, there was this one guy who got so terribly much attention for comparably little effort, and I complained to the Heavens about how terribly unfair life was...

...and now, that guy's one of my best and most awesome friends. Life can be weird. xD
:boogie

Amber Williams

*snippy-moved to here for relevence*

Quote from: Naldru on August 25, 2007, 07:28:33 PM
I looked at the rant again, and came to the same conclusion that I did before.  I don't want to put words in Amber's mouth, but the following is my understanding of the situation.  It is also similar to feelings that I have heard expressed by a number of other people.

*snipp-u*

I confess it was mostly the latter of your conclusion.  I had just gotten out of a tri-hour conversation with someone who had literally spent the entire time complaining about how miserable they are and how angry they are at this and that group and how they felt this and that sucked.  And when I would confront them about possibly changing the situation on their side, they would roll and either change the subject(primarily them talking about another situation in which they were a victim), or throw up their arms and say it was impossible because it was everyone else's fault.

And it is freaking annoying to hear people time after time bitch and complain about an event that happened months ago and how things are so freaking unfair...yet will not actually step up to the plate and freaking do something about it.  I'm somewhat sick of people going "oh I tried" cause that is bull-poo.  People only think they tried when in fact they just continued to sit about expecting the entire world to cater to them and when it doesn't happen...they turn around and blame everything else for not doing what they want.

Which is only why it is ten BAJILLION times more frustrating when an artist is doing it because sometimes the hypocrisy of their statements make me want to smash my head into my desk. 

Just...ugh.  And I don't know why people come to me looking for emotional support. I am the worst person because I am a very "fix it" type of person and I can only take 2-3 sympathy sessions before I start to question the person's intents.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 25, 2007, 12:46:21 PM
looks at rant.... Okay, Amber I think your a bit paranoid, the idea that anyone thinks your personal rant is about anybody but yourself is unlikely. and this concept of "wangst" baffles and confuses me...are you talking about rolling around in the severed parts of male phallus?     

Gabriel. If you aren't trying (and failing) to make a joke in your last sentence, you are a dink.

And unfortunately no. I'm not paranoid. Because there are five people I can list dead off who would likely think I was targeting them in particular.  Thankfully the person I was referring to doesn't read my comic.

Alondro

Yep, I've encountered some of those too.  I like to tell them that they have no hope, their life is indeed over, and they should go right out and find something really tall to leap from.

Sadly, they never do.   They enjoy complaining too much.

I'm pretty much supporting my family on a teeny salary since my father's been out of work for two years and my brother can't get a full-time teaching position (he foolishly was a history major instead of math and sciences, where they're desperate for teachers).  I sleep on the floor of our lab twice a week (if I can spare the time in the lab to get sleep) to save money from transportation.  I come home smelling so horribly of mice and chemicals that I can't even stand myself.

If I'm not bitching about that every day, no one else has any right to complain about their little imaginary problems!  Spend 3 hours in the mouse room and you'll thank god you have the time to make up problems for yourself! 

*stress relief time*  Itsa bunny!   :bunny  Awwwwww!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kenji

The main thing I hate about the art thing is when you draw something that takes you a while for someone, or featuring someone, and they don't even comment on it. Or say thanks. Or make any kind of reaction to it.

Shadrok

I have to say after reading Amber's rant the song "Your so vain" by Carly Simon, popped into my head.

*Pictures Mab singing*
"Your so vain, you probably think this song rant is about you..."

Quote from: Alondro on August 25, 2007, 10:23:18 PM
*stress relief time*  Its a bunny!   :bunny  Awwwwww!

I half way expected a Charline chomp at the end there.  :mowdizzy

Caswin

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 25, 2007, 08:59:26 PMJust...ugh.  And I don't know why people come to me looking for emotional support. I am the worst person because I am a very "fix it" type of person and I can only take 2-3 sympathy sessions before I start to question the person's intents.
Been there.

Sympathy session! :O
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 25, 2007, 12:46:21 PMand this concept of "wangst" baffles and confuses me...are you talking about rolling around in the severed parts of male phallus?
Whether or not it was the intent, this was actually the mental image I got before I could stop myself.  Ew.

I still think it sounds like two different rants...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Kenji on August 25, 2007, 10:27:55 PM
The main thing I hate about the art thing is when you draw something that takes you a while for someone, or featuring someone, and they don't even comment on it. Or say thanks. Or make any kind of reaction to it.

I agree hours of work should be given the respect it deserves, unless it looks like it was slapped together hastily with a wacom pen, in which case I say "tell the artist what they did wrong, and how it looks" and prepare for the blowback of 300 forumites bitching at you ... Even a lazy artist has teeth.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 25, 2007, 08:59:26 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on August 25, 2007, 12:46:21 PM

Gabriel. If you aren't trying (and failing) to make a joke in your last sentence, you are a dink.

And unfortunately no. I'm not paranoid. Because there are five people I can list dead off who would likely think I was targeting them in particular.  Thankfully the person I was referring to doesn't read my comic.

I've never been so relieved to be ignored. :U

... Yeah, I was guilty of that kinda thing for a while too. Then I STFU'd, GTFO'd of DeviantArt, and started hanging out with you guys.

Changed. My. LIFE.  So much easier to try and be big when the community is small.

Still a little bit of a wank when I have an "emo artist moment", but at least they're fewer and further between. Plus I've gotten better at keeping them confined to parts of the internet that can't be googled later, if nothing else.  ;)

Turnsky

drawing giftart is an act of charity, do it 'cuz you want to, not do it because you want to be noticed and/or thanked.

i can see amber's point here, anywho.

with me, I draw foxfire for myself, i like drawing it, it's a method of me to vent, to relax, whatever, i just like to share, 'tis all.  Most webcomickers are like this, the ones that do it to sate their own egos don't last long, 'cuz they don't have a very thick skin to take sometimes helpful critique very well.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kenji

Quote from: Turnsky on August 27, 2007, 03:51:59 AM

drawing giftart is an act of charity, do it 'cuz you want to, not do it because you want to be noticed and/or thanked.

Why the hell do you think I keep drawing the people who still don't say anything?
I simply don't like getting shrugged off as if I owed them.

Turnsky

Quote from: Kenji on August 27, 2007, 10:55:17 PM

Why the hell do you think I keep drawing the people who still don't say anything?

you know that may not be the case, they may simply not notice it, for example.
Hell, i know how you feel, but i put it forward that largely, they just don't notice them, i've put a few bits of fanart for folks in the art thread once upon a time, with nary a comment from those it's directed at. I know they'd appreciate it, it's not like they're "shrugging me off" as it were. If you wanna give people 'gifts' that you want them to notice or at least give them half a chance of noticing, do what i do.. have a webcomic with a loooooong cameo list.  :mowwink

Kenji

Quote from: Turnsky on August 28, 2007, 12:48:30 AM

Hell, i know how you feel, but i put it forward that largely, they just don't notice them, i've put a few bits of fanart for folks in the art thread once upon a time, with nary a comment from those it's directed at. I know they'd appreciate it, it's not like they're "shrugging me off" as it were. If you wanna give people 'gifts' that you want them to notice or at least give them half a chance of noticing, do what i do.. have a webcomic with a loooooong cameo list.  :mowwink

I usually send it right to the person via IRC or instant messenger.
But blar. I have better things to do than whine. Like sleep and throw things at people. Choose one and go!

Turnsky

Quote from: Kenji on August 28, 2007, 12:51:38 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on August 28, 2007, 12:48:30 AM

I usually send it right to the person via IRC or instant messenger.
But blar. I have better things to do than whine. Like sleep and throw things at people. Choose one and go!

wow, okay, i get where you're coming from, now.