08/24/07 [#810] yo mamma

Started by AndersW, August 24, 2007, 12:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2007, 06:41:35 PM
A very elegant theory.  I'm impressed (and also going "why didn't I think of that?").

Because you mind has been insufficiently twisted by life.  Give it another twenty years of life, or a few more years of exposure to Amber's writing.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Aleolus

Abel is avoiding the question, but with good reason.  Most guys don't react well to "your mamma" insults or the like.  Though I think Dan is man enough to not care.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Naldru on August 24, 2007, 12:25:42 PM
By the way, I just noticed that Abel referred to Alexsi as being very scary.
Not only that, he said she was "the third scariest thing I've ever met". Is Destania standing beside her daughter on that podium?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Rithm Alfortele

The top three scariest things Abel has seen.

1. Naked Aaryanna
2. Destania in a bad mood.
3. Alexsi in a bad mood.

That's my hypothesis, at least.

Naldru

My understanding is that  Abel being chased out of Lost Lake for the day is now the fourth scariest thing and  Alexsi's reaction to Merlitz leaving is now the scariest thing.  And there was a comment in the latter scene that Alexsis could be even scarier.

It sounds like Destania gave Alexsis the post-graduate course in terror.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2007, 04:53:26 PM
QuoteI thought it was pretty simple.  For that to work, Aniz and Edward could never meet in Abel's story, and Aniz cannot have died more than 50 or so years ago.
That's self-evident.  I can't imagine anyone expecting Edward to turn up in Abel's story, because it was set 350 years before he was born.

Unless Abel's story jumps ahead some 300 years ;) It is possible.. hehe

Aurawyn

Quote from: Naldru on August 25, 2007, 09:35:39 AM
My understanding is that  Abel being chased out of Lost Lake for the day is now the fourth scariest thing and  Alexsi's reaction to Merlitz leaving is now the scariest thing.  And there was a comment in the latter scene that Alexsis could be even scarier.

It sounds like Destania gave Alexsis the post-graduate course in terror.

In 623 Abel says

"Your sister is the Third scariest thing I've ever Met"

This Implies that its a person or a "thing" not an event, because you can not "Meet" an event. I am guessing Aary and Dee are the first two.. but not in that order

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2007, 05:24:46 PM
Quote from: Raist on August 24, 2007, 04:09:18 PM
Additionally, Amber has not confirmed that Aniz was Devin's father.
That's why it's a theory and not fact :P

I think I remember reading that Amber confirmed that Aniz Was not Devin's father.. I could be making up memories tho  :mowdizzy

Naldru

Quote from: Aurawyn on August 25, 2007, 11:44:50 AM
In 623 Abel says

"Your sister is the Third scariest thing I've ever Met"

This Implies that its a person or a "thing" not an event, because you can not "Meet" an event. I am guessing Aary and Dee are the first two.. but not in that order

I'd go for Alexsis being the scariest, Destania being number two, and Fa'lina being number three.  (Her reaction to Merlitz leaving moved her to number one.)  I also feel that Fa'lina and Destania could outdo Alexsis if they wanted to.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2007, 04:53:26 PMDan started it.

Dan started a spat.  Talking trash about someone's mom, most especially if it's true, is an easy way to start up a Hatfield/McCoy feud that would last a lot longer than whatever this watermelon manhandling will.

Quote from: Naldru on August 24, 2007, 06:32:30 PMHowever, there is another possibility if Abel felt a strong obligation to Destania.  Since Edward saved Destania's life, he might feel indebted to Edward for that reason.

This leaves two holes.

One, Destania apparently didn't communicate with SAIA after she left.  If she had, she certainly would have mentioned having an incubus son--probably well before mentioning that Edward had saved her.
Two, if it were true that Abel feels obligation to Edward by extension of Destania, Ink would have mentioned that Dan was Dee's son, not Edward's.

Quote from: Aurawyn on August 25, 2007, 11:44:50 AMI think I remember reading that Amber confirmed that Aniz Was not Devin's father.. I could be making up memories tho  :mowdizzy

She might have said that Devin's father was not Cid, but I don't think she's said anything else about it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on August 25, 2007, 11:05:51 PM
This leaves two holes.

One, Destania apparently didn't communicate with SAIA after she left.  If she had, she certainly would have mentioned having an incubus son--probably well before mentioning that Edward had saved her.
I'm not so sure about that.  Dan's got a picture of his clan symbol, and Alexsi is sleeping in Dee's bed, which also has the clan symbol on it.  Now maybe she managed to convince some local artisan to carve the bed for her, and had a graphics design guy knock up a poster of her clan symbol, both without drawing attention to the fact that she's a succubus.
I'd be more inclined to believe that she went back to SAIA to formally resign and bring back a few heirlooms.  That would have gone directly to Fa'Lina who may not have chosen to share it with Abel or Aary.

Fa'Lina seemed to know what had happened when she was talking to Aary about losing Pain and Terror professors.  That might mean she knew.  Or it might simply be that Aary told her in the covering letter.  Difficult to say.

Dan's file is an interesting point.  It's not small.  If they had just Aary's letter to go on, it would have fit on the back of a postcard.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 06:28:29 AM
Dan's file is an interesting point.  It's not small.  If they had just Aary's letter to go on, it would have fit on the back of a postcard.

That is an interesting point.  Dan went and became an adventurer after Destania left to go find Edward, so how would they get that info.

Brunhidden

The file on Dan was probably mostly about his adventuring exploits taken from public media such as newspapers and, more specifically, the obituaries. i would assume that SAIA would keep close tabs on the public doings of known slayers.... who knows, some of the cubi may have even had a Dan fanclub and some posters of him in suggestive poses, somehow it seems fitting and i can think of little else that would freak him out more then finding out someone has an action figure or yaoi comicbook of him.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 26, 2007, 09:00:35 AM
The file on Dan was probably mostly about his adventuring exploits taken from public media such as newspapers and, more specifically, the obituaries. i would assume that SAIA would keep close tabs on the public doings of known slayers.... who knows, some of the cubi may have even had a Dan fanclub and some posters of him in suggestive poses, somehow it seems fitting and i can think of little else that would freak him out more then finding out someone has an action figure or yaoi comicbook of him.

You mean . . . fanfic exists in Furrae?!

Somehow I'd doubt that Dan would get anything ala 'The Boy Who Lived'. Now, there might be things of his father to such effect (perhaps to the point that Destainia sought him out in a crazed fangirl sort of way), but Dan would by and large still be seen as an infant.

Naldru

Fa'lina is head of SAIA, and probably has contacts with hundreds, if not thousands, of graduates.  She probably has friends among the other races as well.  In addition, she has the letter from Arrayanna.  (Applications frequently involve things such as job history and other personal details.)  This isn't even considering her own magical abiliities or those of those of the other teachers at SAIA.  Given all this, I don't think it would take much time to build a file on Dan.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Naldru on August 26, 2007, 11:35:10 AM
Fa'lina is head of SAIA, and probably has contacts with hundreds, if not thousands, of graduates.  She probably has friends among the other races as well.  In addition, she has the letter from Arrayanna.  (Applications frequently involve things such as job history and other personal details.)  This isn't even considering her own magical abiliities or those of those of the other teachers at SAIA.  Given all this, I don't think it would take much time to build a file on Dan.

It's entirely possible that some or all of the background extras are SAIA graduates keeping an eye on Dan for Fa'lina. The heck with "building a file", if she can keep tabs on him in real time.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Caswin

Quote from: Aleolus on August 24, 2007, 09:20:33 PM
Abel is avoiding the question, but with good reason.  Most guys don't react well to "your mamma" insults or the like.
How exactly does Dan being a guy factor into this, anyway?  I expect most girls would be just as offended by unkind comments about their mothers.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

techmaster-glitch

Girls aren't the ones who toss around "yo mamma" jokes. They are primarily used as guy-to-guy insults.

Caswin

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 26, 2007, 03:18:21 PM
Girls aren't the ones who toss around "yo mamma" jokes. They are primarily used as guy-to-guy insults.
To an extent, maybe, but Abel cites Dan being a guy as why he won't even say it to him.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

techmaster-glitch

Aridas

He's not even going to give a yo mama joke anyway, especially since any mention of it is not being said IN the comic. And that's ALL it is, a joke about a joke made OUTSIDE the comic. If you're going to get into debates about that over this comic...

Naldru

Maybe Abel feels that guys are more likely to take a statement as an insult and start swinging.  Whereas girls might give you five seconds to explain before bringing out the giant baku hammer.  It should be mentioned that Abel doesn't know how much Dan and Alexsis know about their mother's past.  It may be that after he says it all, Alexsis and Dan will simply say "Well, I knew all that."

I get the feeling that Destania's approach to teaching is not to take the gentle approach.  If she throws her own children into the wall, can you imagine what she does to the typical student.  I can picture Destania's method of teaching survival training to Abel, and it isn't a pretty picture.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 06:28:29 AMDan's file is an interesting point.  It's not small.  If they had just Aary's letter to go on, it would have fit on the back of a postcard.

The one from 426?  It probably includes his application letter, probably a little information on Dan gathered by a PI from public records or even a clipping service, possibly a brief write-up on Lost Lake, maybe a copy of his acceptance letter, and most certainly some information about his mother, about whom they would have enough to fill several filing cabinets.

Note that Fa'Lina didn't seem to need to let out the bottom of the folder.  In fact, we only see one paper in it (though I concede that there are probably more papers in there).

What about the other point?  That Ink would surely have mentioned Destania if Abel were indebted to her?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on August 27, 2007, 12:27:30 AM
What about the other point?  That Ink would surely have mentioned Destania if Abel were indebted to her?
Naldru already covered that.  Not convincingly, I'll admit.  I have nothing further to add in that regard.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 27, 2007, 05:57:32 AM
Quote from: superluser on August 27, 2007, 12:27:30 AM
Naldru already covered that.  Not convincingly, I'll admit.  I have nothing further to add in that regard.
I dont think the big fox has much to say. All he knows its fun push buttons of many of his students.