Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 02, 2007, 12:20:08 PM
Please note that I reworded my 'action' to better reflect that the move was an attempt...
Right.  I'll edit mine accordingly.

- - -

Dorcan winced.  He couldn't shake the idea that what Morgan had just done was murder.  It wasn't a fair fight, and for all they knew the guy had just joined the Brotherhood out of fear.  He could even have been one of the Rebel spies, like the cat who'd saved him, although that was rather unlikely - Jackson would surely have told them if they had contacts.

But it was too late for regrets.  Following the other's lead, Dorcan waved his stunner at the surviving zealot, who crumpled with a muted thump.  Working quickly, the doberman disarmed his victim, pocketing his weapons, ID and anything else that looked handy.

"How long do these stunners last?" he whispered over the comms.  "How long will he be out, I mean?  And is the guy inside going to be alerted to the fact that his colleagues' vitals signs have... dropped?"

He picked up the zealot, silently carrying his 'prisoner' into the shed with minimal effort.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 02, 2007, 12:23:04 PM
Dorcan winced.  He couldn't shake the idea that what Morgan had just done was murder.  It wasn't a fair fight...

Indeed this is true, it is quite very much murder... though it has the questionably higher (not much mind you) distinction of being the killing of an enemy in a time of 'war'. 

Morgan is just that, a trained and brutally efficient assassin like Bourne, the Jackal, James Bond, etc.  His only advantage being cybernetic enhancements that make him Matrix fast and strong.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 02, 2007, 12:32:47 PM
Indeed this is true, it is quite very much murder... though it has the questionably higher (not much mind you) distinction of being the killing of an enemy in a time of 'war'. 

Yep.  Unlike Jakob in Gareeku's RP, Dorcan is prepared to kill people.  But it doesn't mean he has to like it.

Note that in my revised version there is a direct question to Morgan, just in case you've missed the edit...

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 02, 2007, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 02, 2007, 11:04:55 AM
Ummm, the enforcers shout the orders, then lazy about while the zealots do all the work? :B

The enforcers seem to be somewhat less human in terms of their reactions?  Not surprising since I'd guess they're enforcers are more heavily augmented.  The enforcers don't speak much.

That's very close.  Now if the characters would take notice of it sometime down the road...

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 02, 2007, 12:54:16 PM
That's very close.  Now if the characters would take notice of it sometime down the road...

Of course not. That'd be thinking. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 02, 2007, 01:18:37 PM

I'm sure it will happen when the characters have enough interaction and observation of the Brotherhood to draw these conclusions.

Note: Morgan is not just standing there waiting to be discovered... if he and the zealot come face to face then the zealot will be swiftly dealt with.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 02, 2007, 01:18:37 PM

It would be thinking about things Dorcan doesn't know.  He's only seen zealots as far as I know, apart from a possible brief encounter during his arrest, in which case he wouldn't have known who or what they were anyway.

**EDIT**

Azlan, one point - I'm not sure Morgan knows that Dorcan wants to take him alive.
He wasn't there when he chose the weapon, they've only just met up, and Dorcan hasn't actually said anything about it...

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 02, 2007, 02:24:03 PM

Azlan, one point - I'm not sure Morgan knows that Dorcan wants to take him alive.
He wasn't there when he chose the weapon, they've only just met up, and Dorcan hasn't actually said anything about it...

Noted, he does not specifically understand your intentions... well actually he does, surface thought reading and all, plus he can identify every existing weapon known on this world from up to 2km with telescopic optics... but what I wrote does make it seem like it was based on metagame knowledge, so I just removed it as it is easier.

If we really must nitpick, your post for Dorcan's reaction to Morgan's 'order' seems to indicate that you knew his intent was murder... nothing in what I have displayed to him indicates that he is capable of that action.  I suppose you can get away with it by saying Dorcan would assume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 02, 2007, 05:28:02 PM
Noted, he does not specifically understand your intentions... well actually he does, surface thought reading and all, plus he can identify every existing weapon known on this world from up to 2km with telescopic optics... but what I wrote does make it seem like it was based on metagame knowledge, so I just removed it as it is easier.

Ok.  I was actually going to suggest you add something to clarify it, if he's using some kind of empathic ability.

QuoteIf we really must nitpick, your post for Dorcan's reaction to Morgan's 'order' seems to indicate that you knew his intent was murder... nothing in what I have displayed to him indicates that he is capable of that action.  I suppose you can get away with it by saying Dorcan would assume.
This is true, as it was based on your original post, which I read three times and still came away thinking you'd killed him straight off :P
I might reword it slightly.

Ryudo Lee

Sorry, I missed that you had shot him the first time, but I made up for it in my next post.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 09:22:09 AM
Sorry, I missed that you had shot him the first time, but I made up for it in my next post.
Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or not :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm impressed by Jexx's grasp of the concept "stealthy" ... ;-]

Ryudo Lee

Much like a half-giant rogue.  "I AM SNEAKING UP ON YOU!  YOU CANNOT SEE ME!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 11:34:45 AM
Much like a half-giant rogue.  "I AM SNEAKING UP ON YOU!  YOU CANNOT SEE ME!"
This really, honestly was the reason I sent Dorcan off with Jexx, to try and protect him from himself.  Not that he's done a great job of it so far  :3

Anyway, I'm gonna give it a rest for now, since Azlan's going to have a lot to digest :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ryudo Lee

Azlan

techmaster-glitch

Yeah, Jexx wasn't made to be the subtle character. He'll sneak well when he has to, but the moment combat arrives, any smidgen of "be quiet" is unceremoniously chucked out the window via a blast from his handcannons :giggle

EDIT: And BTW, Jexx doesn't really need anyone to 'look after' him. He's taken care of himself for the past two years, and contrary to what Exo says, I highly doubt Jexx could've lasted that long on luck. ;)

Catffeinated

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 03, 2007, 02:31:48 PM
And BTW, Jexx doesn't really need anyone to 'look after' him. He's taken care of himself for the past two years, and contrary to what Exo says, I highly doubt Jexx could've lasted that long on luck. ;)

Riiight :rolleyes

Quote from: Tapewolf"I give my life in sacrifice for the brotherhood of the machine," he said.
:wtf
(Never thought I'd get to use that..."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Catffeinated on August 03, 2007, 02:48:08 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf"I give my life in sacrifice for the brotherhood of the machine," he said.

:wtf

Hehehehe... let's just say he's testing a theory.

Azlan

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 03:30:53 PM
The helmet would not come off easy, and in fact pulled more than a few wires out of the poor guy's head.  Morgan's search would find a hardwired implant at the base of the brain, wrapped around and integrated with the spinal cord, and a similar device in the weapon and armor.  Upon closer inspection, it appears that it's activated by a verbal passcode, though touching the helmet seemed to expedite the process somehow, possibly creating a short circuit.  Once activated, the device almost literally fries the brain, and quite efficiently shuts down the entire body.  During the process, a signal is sent to the device in the weapon and armor which causes their components to fry and fuse, making them pretty much worthless to weapons scavengers.  Removing the device in any other way would obviously mean death.

Does this mean that the armor and weapon are still intact?  Do they require the input of a working system, such as the zealot's brain, to function?  Morgan uses touch-based/wireless smartlinking and his electrokinesis to tie a weapon into his CTC's systems... is the Brotherhood weapon capable of accepting this type of connection?

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 03:30:53 PM
The cables were conduits of electricity, and oddly enough, the electricity was seemingly pulsating through the cables at the same frequency that the electromagnetic field that seems to feed signals to the chips in the people's necks around the town was.

How much power is going through these wires and how much would I have to absorb before the flow is interupted significantly to cause a problem for them?  Can I conceviably 'eat' that much safely or is it beyond my capability currently?

Tapewolf

Looks like Dorcan's experiment with the self-destruct mechanism is moot if the armour-body integration is that tight.  Since he would have seen that during the disassembly, may I scrub that bit?

Ryudo Lee

The weapon and armor are still intact, but the working parts are fused and worthless.  They are scrap at this point.

When the zealot activates this "self destruct" mechanism, then his equipment gets a similar signal from the implant.  The link between the brotherhood member and his weapon is as yet unknown to you.  All you know is that somehow a signal goes from the implant to the equipment and that causes the whole thing to go bzzzzt *fizzle*!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 04:46:59 PM
The weapon and armor are still intact, but the working parts are fused and worthless.  They are scrap at this point.

Perhaps I've missed something again, but my understanding is that we have two sets of armour, one destroyed, the other intact, since since Morgan killed his zealot before he could set off the self-destruct.  That doesn't preclude the armour self-destructing if it detects his death, of course.

What I'm saying is that if dismantling Morgan's zealot reveals that the armour is hardwired into his nervous system, Dorcan is going to have one heck of a job getting the helmet and glove into a condition that he can carry them around, and if it will be trailing wires and stuff as your post seems to imply, it's not that reasonable for him to assume the self-destruct is still going to be in working condition.  (Dorcan's theory being that each bit of armour is independently-powered and contains its own voice recognition)

Ryudo Lee

Oh right, forgot about that other guy.  Um, the findings on the other guy will show that the weapon and armor are actually powered by the zealot, hence all the wires going into his body.

Catffeinated

Sudden idea! Plasma + Throat = Zealot - vocal chords!
Plasma would (in theory) fuse any material it came into contact with, so if someone shot a member of the Brotherhood in the neck, that would disarm the suicide mechanism! ... Wouldn't it?

Azlan

Quote from: Catffeinated on August 03, 2007, 05:47:40 PM
Sudden idea! Plasma + Throat = Zealot - vocal chords!
Plasma would (in theory) fuse any material it came into contact with, so if someone shot a member of the Brotherhood in the neck, that would disarm the suicide mechanism! ... Wouldn't it?

Yeah, but that also disables breathing...

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 03, 2007, 05:00:40 PM
Oh right, forgot about that other guy.  Um, the findings on the other guy will show that the weapon and armor are actually powered by the zealot, hence all the wires going into his body.

What powers them?  If I gots the ability to channel power, can I say... power them?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 03, 2007, 05:57:31 PM
Yeah, but that also disables breathing...

Tongue removal?  I was going to suggest that but it seems a bit harsh  :B

What powers them?  If I gots the ability to channel power, can I say... power them?

He seemed at one point to be saying that they draw induced current from the tower broadcast signals.

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2007, 06:05:00 PM

He seemed at one point to be saying that they draw induced current from the tower broadcast signals.

To produce plasma though?  Consider the Rayleigh Criterion, plus it would be rather uncomfortable around here if the tower dumped that much power into the surrounding environment for something like wireless energy transfer. 

Electromagnetic Induction is relatively short ranged.  Evanescent wave coupling is longer ranged but not very efficient.  It seems unrealistic that the tower puts out power that the zealots take in and power themselves with.  I can get away with it because I employ electrokinesis, but what do the rest of you use I wonder...

Tapewolf

If it is broadcast power, it's probably not going to be based on a technology we've discovered.

**EDIT**
Scratch that, he was talking about the cables in the tunnel, which suggests they're leading to some kind of relay.  Fibre might have been better though  >:3