05/16/07 Abel's Story [89] Something for the future

Started by AndersW, May 15, 2007, 11:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on May 16, 2007, 05:42:37 PMBut he's not a humanoid.  He's not even a being.
Isn't "humanoid" just the definition of the shape of a living being?

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2007, 03:03:56 PM'Cubi Edward?  Not sure what to make of that suggestion.  I'll consider it.  But to be honest I suspect Edward is a Being and that whatever happened to put Abel in his debt happened within the last 50 years.  Abel and Edward haven't met, but if Ed killed Aniz, it's likely Fa'Lina would learn of Abel's father's demise... somehow...
Who's to say it's not a family debt, rather than simply a debt to an individual? Like, a debt to Ed's grandfather or great grandfather or whoever.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 16, 2007, 06:44:45 PM
Who's to say it's not a family debt, rather than simply a debt to an individual? Like, a debt to Ed's grandfather or great grandfather or whoever.
Possible, but I doubt it because Ink says "because he happens to be Edward Ti'Fiona's son" not "because he happens to be a Ti'Fiona" or somesuch.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

As i see it Aniz will kill May and Kria will appear and kill Aniz and then take Abel to SAIA which she knows a friend which is Fa'Lina.

That's what is going to happen in this supposition but I could be wrong or Aniz will tell his grand scheme which that is coming to fruition on saturday.

Aridas

Unfortunately, Aniz didn't actually say anything about killing May, so we're going to have to put a hold on that bit of spec.

Psychogirl

Quote from: ShiningShadow on May 16, 2007, 06:51:05 PM
As i see it Aniz will kill May and Kria will appear and kill Aniz and then take Abel to SAIA which she knows a friend which is Fa'Lina.

That's what is going to happen in this supposition but I could be wrong or Aniz will tell his grand scheme which that is coming to fruition on saturday.

I'm guessing that Aniz is just gonna spill the beans and reveal his grand scheme, as that it is the almighty law of villains to tell their plans.

techmaster-glitch

Damnit, I'm really f***ing late... anyway, on an only slightly off-topic thing, this has been brought up in a few previous threads, but never got answered: How the HELL did Aniz hide HIS clan marking from May for all of these years?

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 16, 2007, 06:53:32 PM
Unfortunately, Aniz didn't actually say anything about killing May, so we're going to have to put a hold on that bit of spec.

I know your right on that one but the Grand Scheme that is coming for sure and what is Abel part in all this.

nikename2

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 16, 2007, 07:11:56 PM
Damnit, I'm really f***ing late... anyway, on an only slightly off-topic thing, this has been brought up in a few previous threads, but never got answered: How the HELL did Aniz hide HIS clan marking from May for all of these years?

Well he is a cubi, he probably influenced her to think nothing of it when they were getting it on, you know he was probably messing around in her dreams too, erasing memories she didn't need to know or something crazy like that.  :rolleyes

For that matter he could have been in Abel's dreams too subtly planting sleeper memories that would trigger when the awake mind recieves a certain "message".

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 16, 2007, 06:44:45 PMIsn't "humanoid" just the definition of the shape of a living being?

Botulism isn't humanoid.

Abel is anthropomorphic, and I guess that might look outwardly humanoid, but the issue is the psyche.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 16, 2007, 06:44:45 PMWho's to say it's not a family debt, rather than simply a debt to an individual? Like, a debt to Ed's grandfather or great grandfather or whoever.

He didn't have that reaction when he found out that Dan was a Ti'Fiona.

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:15:32 PMWell he is a cubi, he probably influenced her to think nothing of it when they were getting it on

I don't know about T-G, but I'm less concerned about when they're getting it on.  More concerned about when he showers/washes his hands/walks in the rain.  If he doesn't take it off, then that wrist and the fur surrounding it must smell like cheese soaked in gym socks.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Psychogirl

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:15:32 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 16, 2007, 07:11:56 PM

Well he is a cubi, he probably influenced her to think nothing of it when they were getting it on, you know he was probably messing around in her dreams too, erasing memories she didn't need to know or something crazy like that.  :rolleyes

For that matter he could have been in Abel's dreams too subtly planting sleeper memories that would trigger when the awake mind recieves a certain "message".

Isn't it dangerous to mess with the mind (especialy memories)? I remember from the Cubi tutorial mini arc that it is very dangerous to read minds as that it puts a major risk to both the cubi and the victim.

However, I do get the dream part.

nikename2

Quote from: superluser on May 16, 2007, 07:19:48 PM
I don't know about T-G, but I'm less concerned about when they're getting it on.  More concerned about when he showers/washes his hands/walks in the rain.  If he doesn't take it off, then that wrist and the fur surrounding it must smell like cheese soaked in gym socks.

Why wouldn't he take it off when he's taking a shower? It's not like everyone in the world is gonna suddenly assault his bathroom the minute he takes it off just to clean himself up.

Psychogirl

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:26:32 PM

Why wouldn't he take it off when he's taking a shower? It's not like everyone in the world is gonna suddenly assault his bathroom the minute he takes it off just to clean himself up.

That would just be freaky 0.0

superluser

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:26:32 PMWhy wouldn't he take it off when he's taking a shower? It's not like everyone in the world is gonna suddenly assault his bathroom the minute he takes it off just to clean himself up.

His wife might.  (s/assault/enter/ in that case)

He has to have it off while he's showering, but also while he's waiting for it to dry.  If you think that he's never going to be interrupted while washing, that's pretty silly.  You're in a rush because you've got to get to the appointment, and May runs in with your tie, and

``CLOSE THE DOOR!  CLOSE THE DO-O-OR!  What did I tell you about that?''

nikename2

Ok, so May rushes in, Aniz semi-freaks and covers up the insignia with his hand and makes a dash for his bracer, and puts it on while May is more concerned with you're tie/getting you out and about. Out of sight out of mind. Plus he's got towels in the bathroom too, theres no reason he couldn't just grab one quick as soon as May barges in.

These are extreme cases, I think in most circumstances the knock before entering rule, and locking the door would suffice.

superluser

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:43:32 PMThese are extreme cases, I think in most circumstances the knock before entering rule, and locking the door would suffice.

They're already extremely lucky to have a lock on the bedroom door.  I highly doubt that they have one on the bathroom door.  I think we might have had a lock on the bathroom door as a kid, but I don't think we ever had the key.

As for knock before entering, I'm having the most entertaining thought of May knocking and giving `Cid' a moment, and then opening the door and finding Cid there completely naked and sopping wet and bedraggled, except for a pair of bracers.

I find it hard to believe that she could have missed it there, and it's unlikely that May wouldn't have mentioned it when she saw Abel's tattoo.  (``Oh, right.  Someone knocked you out and gave it to you.  And it just *happens* to look like Cid's'')

nikename2

In that case "Cid" could probably initiate "man-law" or something. He could say that he's a member of some sort of adventuring guild and the tattoo is part of the initiation, and since Abel is his son, it wouldn't be right for his son to not be initiated as well since he's destined to grow up to be an adventurer like ol' pops.

Kind of like how there's initiation rites of passage for private organizations in our world. Aniz could come up with a number of responses, and he could influence May enough through dreamsurfing/emotion bombarding to the point where Aniz just HAD to be right and there was no point in deliberating the point any further.

superluser

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 08:17:15 PMIn that case "Cid" could probably initiate "man-law" or something. He could say that he's a member of some sort of adventuring guild and the tattoo is part of the initiation, and since Abel is his son, it wouldn't be right for his son to not be initiated as well since he's destined to grow up to be an adventurer like ol' pops.

I have a feeling that that would be a touch more difficult than you make it sound.  I've said before that Aniz could have convinced May to have more kids.  That's because he could read her mind and know what arguments she was going to make.  It's also a very complex argument, where you have to weigh what's best for Aniz with what's best for May with what's best for the marriage as a whole with what's best for Abel with what's best for the yet unconceived child, among other things.

If you start to lose an argument, you take a different tack.

``My son needed to be initiated and so I did it secretly without either him or you knowing,'' on the other hand, is a house of cards.  If you lose any one argument, they all fall.

May probably doesn't want her son to be forced into being an adventurer.  It's hard on her, and she wouldn't wish that life on Abel or his future wife.  May would probably ask Abel if he really wanted to be an adventurer, and it would come out that `Cid' had placed the marking on his back, and Abel would be confused, since he had no memory of it.

May would probably try to contact the other adventurers to find out what this guild is like.  That would be bad, since they would not know anything about this guild, or possibly even know that that marking was a clan marking.

Aniz might win the argument, but I don't think he could do it without having Abel and a few adventurers find out, and that would be a heck of a mess to clean up.

nikename2

Perhaps adventuring guild was the wrong choice of words to use. I meant it in the terms of something comparable to our world such as the Elk's club, or the Free Masons or something.

superluser

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 09:25:19 PMPerhaps adventuring guild was the wrong choice of words to use. I meant it in the terms of something comparable to our world such as the Elk's club, or the Free Masons or something.

I knew what you meant.  I don't think May would be any happier having her son forcibly enrolled as an Oddfellow, either.  Especially if the organization were in any way associated with adventuring.  Now, if membership came with a tiny car and fez, that might be a different story.  ;)

multani82

Quote from: superluser on May 16, 2007, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 09:25:19 PMPerhaps adventuring guild was the wrong choice of words to use. I meant it in the terms of something comparable to our world such as the Elk's club, or the Free Masons or something.

I knew what you meant.  I don't think May would be any happier having her son forcibly enrolled as an Oddfellow, either.  Especially if the organization were in any way associated with adventuring.  Now, if membership came with a tiny car and fez, that might be a different story.  ;)
hehe just give me the fez and I'll sign up for this guild  >:3

Zedd

kaskar

Seems that after Aniz took off his makeup to unveil his clan marking, ( not magic ), and he seems to just want to get some attention by acting like a real pain and hamming it up ... It seems that he is still role playing ( as do the fae ), and has switched from adventurer to evil jerk.

May would seem to live longer than all may think, because magic can be used to extend life, and May seems to have attended some of Kria's magic lessons. Instead of 20 years, now go to over 50 years more till dead, maybe much more,  with the power of magic.

Abel may have by then come to terms with Cubi life, set up a longer term "creature account" at the bank, and be ready to come to to terms with being a Cubi. Who knows ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 16, 2007, 03:03:56 PMWho's to say it's not a family debt, rather than simply a debt to an individual? Like, a debt to Ed's grandfather or great grandfather or whoever.
He didn't have that reaction when he found out that Dan was a Ti'Fiona.
I did not say that.  That was Aridas.

Quote from: Xeksue on May 16, 2007, 07:15:32 PMWell he is a cubi, he probably influenced her to think nothing of it when they were getting it on

More concerned about when he showers/washes his hands/walks in the rain.  If he doesn't take it off, then that wrist and the fur surrounding it must smell like cheese soaked in gym socks.
Interesting thought - he might conceivably be able to shapeshift the skin under the bracer so that it's reptilian rather than mammalian.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zedd on May 16, 2007, 10:44:22 PM
Why you think I wear leather pants boys ;)

Oh, it's just because they're so terribly comfortable. I think in the future everyone will be wearing them, don't you think? ;-]

Incidentally, on the subject of the mark on Aniz' forearm... It would be fairly easy to keep it on the side away from May, if she's skipping into the room while he's getting dressed. If he puts his arms around her, it's going to be behind her. If he's holding a towel, he could well grab his shirt in his right arm (with the mark on it) and hide it under that, etc.

Also, giving your spouse space in the shower/getting dressed is something that -can- become habit. If he's "grumpy" of a morning, either she will naturally give him space to "wake up", or he can mentally nudge her into it. Or, since he doesn't need much sleep, he can get up and get dressed early. There's lots of ways to fiddle things.

It's not really -that- much of a stretch to hide something from her for this long. Once you get into the habit - get dressed in the dark, soas not to wake her, that sort of thing - she's not even going to question it.

Sure, it'd be a bit of a bear to start with, but she's already lulled into a sense of complacency, because she -knows- this is the man she married, after all.

*shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Maybe I can see the issue wearing a bracer on the arm helps people too..I mean..Some cubi dont want to be known and mostly found if the mark appears on the arm

kaskar

I still keep on wondering if Aniz was also Devin's father, and since he did not show any of the Cubi standard wings, he was considered a 'dud', Since Devin's mother had tried before, and failed to produce a winged child, it seems he went elsewhere looking. With May, he seems to have succeded. Ah, all the what ifs, and whens, that we seem to have not found out about that shadowy figure ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

llearch n'n'daCorna

You've said that before, kaskar, and been slapped down, on grounds of Devin and Abel are more or less the same age.

Were. Whatever. Aniz wouldn't have had time to set up Cid and take over before May got pregnant with Abel. It's not like "hey, first time, every time" is a reasonable supposition.

If it were, the whole of Furrae would be hip-deep in Cubi offspring. And that's patently not true - sure, there's a few around, but they're a) fairly old, mostly, and b) not -that- common, generally speaking. At least according to Demo 101.

Could you try picking another broken record to start nattering on about? This one is getting boring.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 17, 2007, 04:01:55 AMI did not say that.  That was Aridas.

I knew that.  Copy/paste did not.  Sorry.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 17, 2007, 04:01:55 AMInteresting thought - he might conceivably be able to shapeshift the skin under the bracer so that it's reptilian rather than mammalian.

It would have to be something without oils in the skin; I suppose reptiles would fit that.  It still seems like it would stink.  Mildew and all that.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 17, 2007, 05:28:29 AMIt's not really -that- much of a stretch to hide something from her for this long. Once you get into the habit - get dressed in the dark, soas not to wake her, that sort of thing - she's not even going to question it.

I guess I have to defer to the married guy.  I might be able to buy showering in the morning before she gets up, but I don't think he could pull the same thing after coming back from gardening.  Or does the dishes.  Or washes the laundry.  Thinking back to when I was living with my parents, they were never very familiar with each other, but I guarantee that my dad couldn't wear a bracer and expect that my mom would never see what's underneath.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on May 17, 2007, 06:28:10 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 17, 2007, 04:01:55 AMI did not say that.  That was Aridas.
I knew that.  Copy/paste did not.  Sorry.
Fair enough :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 17, 2007, 04:01:55 AMInteresting thought - he might conceivably be able to shapeshift the skin under the bracer so that it's reptilian rather than mammalian.
It would have to be something without oils in the skin; I suppose reptiles would fit that.  It still seems like it would stink.  Mildew and all that.

I think it could be done but there is still the problem of why he's wearing the bracer all the time anyway.
Now, if he wore a watch...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on May 17, 2007, 06:28:10 AM
I guess I have to defer to the married guy.  I might be able to buy showering in the morning before she gets up, but I don't think he could pull the same thing after coming back from gardening.  Or does the dishes.  Or washes the laundry.  Thinking back to when I was living with my parents, they were never very familiar with each other, but I guarantee that my dad couldn't wear a bracer and expect that my mom would never see what's underneath.

Erm. You missed the other half of it - keeping the side with the mark away from view.

Remember, it's only on the outside of the arm. You don't have to cover -both- sides, just one. And you can cover that with the other side, with a little bit of forethought. Or a towel, or something - certainly long enough to distract the target with some innocent thought "oo, I'm gasping - you want a cuppa tea?" "Yes, dear - let me get it for you" type thing, perhaps.

After all, he can see what she's thinking, and distract her based on that, not just what she's saying.

The other point is that, well, we're all assuming that the bracers are set up as solid metal, nothing inside. Now, on a human, you'd have padding inside. Don't you think that perhaps, y'know, Furrae might have designed padding to work with fur? Since if someone hits your bracer with his sword, chances are they'll break your arm without padding of some sort... Now, it's unlikely they'll have as much dampness as you or I, since we sweat through our skin, and animals don't, usually - a feature of the hairless evolution - so there's not going to be, under heavy exercise, large volumes of sweat into the padding under the bracer.

I dunno about you, but I'll bet money that Amber has considered at least some of these details. :-)