Music - a blessing to the soul or maths you can hear?

Started by rabid_fox, May 10, 2007, 04:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabid_fox

Now, I enjoy music. I thoroughly and honestly do. I play a couple of instruments and I've written a bundle of songs of...dubious...quality. I'm constantly on the prowl for new tunes to listen to and go through headphones like nobody's business from the amount of listening I do. I tried, just as an experiment, to go off music one Lent and I didn't stand a chance - I'm a complete addict.

Yet I have a friend who dismisses music as "maths you can hear" and despairs of people who take an interest in it. I mean, yes, I can see his point, music is highly mathematical...

So, music. Generally. Not as in "I like such and such" - "OMG! How can you like such and such?" Such and such sucks." "Well that's your opinion but..." "BUT NOTHING! Such and such is SO GAAAAYYY". Generally. As an overarching idea. Your thoughts? Opinions? Answers on a postcard.

Oh dear.

Zedd

Music is good when it has plenty of catchy tune to it..So you make others listen to it and it will forever increpted into their heads!  :mwaha

Roureem Egas

That math comparison isn't something I hear of, so I'm kinda wondering about your friend. Must be a bland fogey. :B

Well anyways, yeah I believe music to be one of the most awesome things on this planet. Except opera, metal, and anything similar because those grate on my ears. It's fascinating to me how evocative it can be of just about any sort of feeling. One other thing I've thought about it is how much it speaks about its origins and people.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hmm. Have you guys heard Pi? The ultimate mathematical music... :-]

... my problem is, I was linked it at work, and I can't listen to stuff there. So...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Fuyudenki

if I tried to give up music for Lent, I'd fail spectacularly, because there's always a tune running through my head.  Sometimes, it leaks out, and I start singing... badly.(sometimes not so badly.  I'm in the choir at church, so I must not be too horrible at it.)

So about your friend who dismisses music as "maths you can hear."  Does he still listen to it, or does he shun music entirely?

I can't imagine trying to cut music out of life.  It's very mathematical, yes, but it's also very emotional.  There's a reason music is so prevalent in the world today, and it has nothing to do with linearization of point fields.

bill

bill

Actually, on retrospect, it isn't so much the music, as arguing about it.

nikename2

Well for me it can sometimes provide motivation. Most of the time though on the radio it just sucks. I can't stand the radio half the time they always play the same garbage......  :cuss

superluser

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 10, 2007, 04:15:46 PMYet I have a friend who dismisses music as "maths you can hear" and despairs of people who take an interest in it.

Yes, I can see that (well, not the despair).  Johann Sebastian Bach set out very precise mathematical rules for his music.  I think the number of notes in a work was always divisible by some number, or something.  I prefer PDQ Bach, myself.

There are also other very intricately crafted pieces, such as those by Penderecki or Ligeti, which are beautiful and rich, but which would be musical atrocities if they were not composed perfectly.  Listen to Lux Aeterna, for example.

The mathematical component is part of what draws me to music.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fuyudenki

I believe it was Bach who first set up the mathematical rules for music which allow one to transpose between musical keys, and to define "new" chords.  Before that, you couldn't really split music into parts the way you can now.  Is it any small wonder that a lot of Bach's music is as beautiful as it is?

My dad knows better than I do what I'm talking about.  He's the one who told me, and a lot may have been lost in translation.

Apparently, Bach was just recently discovered in Japan, and caught on like wildfire.

bill

Bach's music is ridiculously easy to play, but beautiful to listen to. Love his Cello suites.

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 10, 2007, 09:18:54 PMBach's music is ridiculously easy to play, but beautiful to listen to. Love his Cello suites.

Which Bach?  J.S. Bach might be easy, but I think J.C. Bach is probably even easier.  Of course, I can't play anything that requires two hands, so I'm pretty much excluded from ever doing Bach.

bill

J.S. Bach. As it's been said 500000 times, simple, but elegant.

Valynth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

He's very, very right.....  Where's my "I love the 1790's!?"

This proves that music is a math that can be applied to everything.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

RJ

I listen to J-rock/pop because I can't understand the music, thus treating the voice as another instrument instead of getting caught in the lyrics like what I do with western stuff.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on May 11, 2007, 01:00:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

He's very, very right.....  Where's my "I love the 1790's!?"

This proves that music is a math that can be applied to everything.

That, my friend, is hysterical. :-] Thank you -so- much. :-]

bill

Trust me, the cello parts to Symphony For the New World are worse.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 10, 2007, 09:18:54 PM
Bach's music is ridiculously easy to play, but beautiful to listen to. Love his Cello suites.
I dunno about simple - I certainly don't have the manual dexterity to play the little twirls on Adagio 564 in C Major - in fact I can't even sequence it convincingly :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 10, 2007, 09:26:22 PM
J.S. Bach. As it's been said 500000 times, simple, but elegant.

Personally, I prefer P D Q Bach, myself....

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 11, 2007, 07:46:44 AM
Quote from: BillBuckner on May 10, 2007, 09:26:22 PMJ.S. Bach. As it's been said 500000 times, simple, but elegant.
Personally, I prefer P D Q Bach, myself....

Needlessly complex, yet inelegant? And that's what makes it great.

P.S.  I think there's an echo in here.

Quote from: superluser on May 10, 2007, 07:14:09 PMI prefer PDQ Bach, myself.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Miaka

Quote from: RJ on May 11, 2007, 05:07:52 AM
I listen to J-rock/pop because I can't understand the music, thus treating the voice as another instrument instead of getting caught in the lyrics like what I do with western stuff.
Same here, though mainly when I have to get work done. >>
need backround music, don't want to understand the words so it won't distract me.

I listen mainly to hard rock and metal, though I have a lot of other stuff(possibly too much Beatles, for instance), I seriously cannot stand most hip hop, rap, or country. Opera, either, really, though I love broadway.
I have strange musical tastes.

bill

Quote from: superluser on May 11, 2007, 08:09:25 AM
Needlessly complex, yet inelegant? And that's what makes it great.
Oh, you're a Rachmaninoff fan, I take it.  :P

Knight

Even as an atheist, I can say reducing music to math you can hear is just demystifying life for everyone else because you don't enjoy it yourself.

Yes, I just put my shoe in my mouth.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 14, 2007, 03:36:35 AM
Even as an atheist, I can say reducing music to math you can hear is just demystifying life for everyone else because you don't enjoy it yourself.

This is one of the reasons I've tried to avoid music theory  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

I'm not getting a 3 GPA this year because of Music Theory/Comp!  :) (And despite the name, we did no actual composition in that class, save a few "write a blues scale based on G-Sharp" exercises."