[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 10, 2010, 09:44:19 AM
Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 09, 2010, 08:38:59 PM
I know I need a mike (used to have one until my sister broke it  :cry) What would the best kind? Also, any particular software that goes with it?

I think Tezkat has covered most of that.  Remember with Audacity that you need to EXPORT the file as WAV - sending me the .aup file it saves to by default will not work.

QuoteWhat lines would you like me to test?

Strips 424-426 if you could.  You might want to start with just 424.

QuoteIs there any particular tone you'd like her to have? Or can I do several samples and play with it?
Does file type matter? And where do I send it when done?

This was done about 4.5 years ago and listening to it now makes me cringe.  However:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_424e.wav.mp3

As for tone, Fa'Lina is something like 9200 years old so she needs to sound somewhat mature.  I would be interested in hearing it done with your regular voice rather than something which has been particularly put on, though.

For file formats I can handle most of them, but in order of preference:
.FLAC
.WAV (preferably in a .zip file)
.ogg
.mp3
.wma

Ideally it should be 22KHz or 44KHz at 16 bits.  We don't really need a stereo recording.

For making them available, some people stick them on rapidshare or something and post a link here.
If that's not possible, probably best to email it to me and send a PM so I remember to check my email :P

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask if you need something explained further.

All right, I'll get on this as soon as I can. I'll be getting the mike tonight as soon as I get out of classes (in-between classes right now). It's easier for me if I email it to you, of course I might be saying this because I have no idea what Rapidshare is......:animesweat

However, I'll have to see about doing it in my own voice though however; not that I hate my voice at all, it's just in the past when I have recorded it, it never sounded right. Of course that could be just me. I actually was practicing around with lines last night and this voice kinda popped out that was very mature and kinda sultry sounding............and well Fa'Lina is pretty hot after all!  >:3 And it didn't sound put on either to me, but yet again my opinion. But I'll try it in my own voice anyway and I might end up sending you both samples and maybe it could taken to a vote in the end.  :3 Heehee!

And again all info is helpful info!  :boogie Thanks!

Tapewolf

I received a couple of demos from Mrs. ZeTavia (hopefully one day I will not think "Mrs. Telvani").  I'm putting them here so other people can have a listen and critique them, hopefully better than I 'm doing.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/424DMFASample01-a.wav.mp3

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/424DMFASample02-a.wav.mp3

#1 is in her normal voice, #2 is put on for the part.  I prefer #2 myself, it fits Fa'Lina more closely.

Now, the main problem is that it sounds like it is being read, as opposed to acted.  It's been a while since I've done this kind of coaching so I can't really explain it easily, but it is something that we should be able to sort out, I think.
It really needs a bit more feeling behind it.  Imagine you're in Fa'Lina's position.  You're a 9200-year-old evil headmistress who is secretly plotting the future of some poor unsuspecting sod you're about to kidnap.  Then your troublesome adopted son comes in with news that he's driven another student crazy.  Think how you'd react in that situation, and try and bring it out in your voice...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 12, 2010, 06:00:50 PM
I received a couple of demos from Mrs. ZeTavia (hopefully one day I will not think "Mrs. Telvani").  I'm putting them here so other people can have a listen and critique them, hopefully better than I 'm doing.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/424DMFASample01-a.wav.mp3

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/424DMFASample02-a.wav.mp3

#1 is in her normal voice, #2 is put on for the part.  I prefer #2 myself, it fits Fa'Lina more closely.

Now, the main problem is that it sounds like it is being read, as opposed to acted.  It's been a while since I've done this kind of coaching so I can't really explain it easily, but it is something that we should be able to sort out, I think.
It really needs a bit more feeling behind it.  Imagine you're in Fa'Lina's position.  You're a 9200-year-old evil headmistress who is secretly plotting the future of some poor unsuspecting sod you're about to kidnap.  Then your troublesome adopted son comes in with news that he's driven another student crazy.  Think how you'd react in that situation, and try and bring it out in your voice...

I pretty much agree with you on the critique, except that that page is before Abel says he needs a new roommate.  Here he just appears out of nowhere, filing his claws, and says, "Plan B?  Isn't that the one where you waste time eating muffins?"

But yeah, the voice in #2 sounds good but a little too "acted" rather than "disappearing into the role."  I had that problem myself when I was doing Graz, although in that case I think my low-key manner of speech worked for the character.

Anyway, yes, it helps to imagine oneself actually in the role.  I found it useful to try to memorize what was being said so you're not actually reading off the comic, and that allows you to focus more on your performance.  Not to mention, of course, recording yourself and listening to it.

Sprocketsdance

I like Part 2 better as well :3   Very nice voice too ^^ One thing that I tried to do is speak more slowly.. of course it always depends on the part that's being said but I found when I spoke more slow it sounded less like it was being read.. and then I tried to go from there to add feeling to it ^^

(and yeah, not saying this like I'm all that great.. I"m definitely not, just trying to help :3)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

I appreciate all the critique and as soon as I'm able I'll to I'll give a shot and do it again and give it more. I actually did have it memorized actually and I think I might have been nervous. It's always kinda scary to see/hear what someone might think of something you've done.

And I'm glad that you liked the 2nd voice!  :) I like it, too!

As soon, as I have it done with the 2nd voice I'll email and PM you Tapewolf, to see if it's any better.

And again thanks for the input everyone!  :boogie

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 12, 2010, 09:18:54 PM
I appreciate all the critique and as soon as I'm able I'll to I'll give a shot and do it again and give it more. I actually did have it memorized actually and I think I might have been nervous. It's always kinda scary to see/hear what someone might think of something you've done.

And I'm glad that you liked the 2nd voice!  :) I like it, too!

As soon, as I have it done with the 2nd voice I'll email and PM you Tapewolf, to see if it's any better.

And again thanks for the input everyone!  :boogie

You're welcome!  :)  Yeah, being nervous can be a problem.  That's why you have to disappear into the role--Fa'Lina wouldn't be nervous.

I know how you feel about being anxious over what others might think of your work, but the more you do it, the more it's a good kind of anxious (I speak from experience).

Looking forward to your next attempt!  :D

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Tapewolf

Remind me again tomorrow, I was going to look at it this evening but my comic suddenly took priority and I wasn't able to get around to it.  Sorry.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 13, 2010, 07:46:57 PM
Remind me again tomorrow, I was going to look at it this evening but my comic suddenly took priority and I wasn't able to get around to it.  Sorry.

It's okay, no rush.  :) Sometimes things happen and you have take care of those things first. I'm a very patient person (you learn very quickly, when you have 4 sisters...........:animesweat), but yeah I'll PM you a reminder tomorrow if that's what you want.  It's no prob!  :mowwink

:reaper I'm sorry, but I saw this and totally loled! XD

Tapewolf

Okay, here's the redone version as provided by Mrs. ZeTavia.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/Redone424DMFASample.wav.mp3

The way I see it, you're on the right track but you've turned it up perhaps a bit too much.  Back off a little, try and find a happy medium.  In this performaance it sounds rather as if she's doing it for show, rather than actually thinking about it.

Another thing is that the levels are all over the place.  Parts of it are loud, parts of it are very quiet.  See if you can make the volume a little more consistent.  It doesn't have to be perfect, I will tend to adjust it anyway but it would be nice if it as a bit more even :P

Frankly, I'm not sure what other people do to get it like that without using additional equipment - I use a compressor/limiter on my recordings which evens things out for me.  Advice on this is probably more in Tezkat's area.

Any comments?  (And apologies for forgetting about it again)

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 14, 2010, 04:34:06 PM

Okay, here's the redone version as provided by Mrs. ZeTavia.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/audition/Redone424DMFASample.wav.mp3

The way I see it, you're on the right track but you've turned it up perhaps a bit too much.  Back off a little, try and find a happy medium.  In this performaance it sounds rather as if she's doing it for show, rather than actually thinking about it.

Another thing is that the levels are all over the place.  Parts of it are loud, parts of it are very quiet.  See if you can make the volume a little more consistent.  It doesn't have to be perfect, I will tend to adjust it anyway but it would be nice if it as a bit more even :P

Frankly, I'm not sure what other people do to get it like that without using additional equipment - I use a compressor/limiter on my recordings which evens things out for me.  Advice on this is probably more in Tezkat's area.

Any comments?  (And apologies for forgetting about it again)

I pretty much agree--just a little bit "ham"-ish in that one, and I also noticed the different volumes.  It seems like the loud parts need to be softer and more subtle, and the soft parts need to be a little louder (just so they can be heard).

I wonder if she's heard the original track of Fa'Lina doing that page--that was a good one, and it could give her an idea of how to do the lines.

Voice is good, though, as before!  :)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Thanks again for more advice!  :mowsmile I actually did hear the original first version and in my opinion it sounded a little monotone, like she wasn't really "there", does that explain it right.

I guess now it's a matter of me trying to find a nice balance. I guess I'm failing miserably.......:animesweat

I look into those limiters, although to be honest I don't have experience with those at all. Oh, well, guess I'll wing it like everything else I do! X3

As soon, as I can I'll give a couple more trys and see what works the best. Don't know if you'd want more than one sample, so we can see what works? Or if you'd like me send just one sample that I think is an improvement?

Still glad everyone likes the voice!  :mowhappy I have fun doing the voice! I love doing different voices! ^_^ Squeeee!

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 14, 2010, 07:57:38 PM
Thanks again for more advice!  :mowsmile I actually did hear the original first version and in my opinion it sounded a little monotone, like she wasn't really "there", does that explain it right.

I guess now it's a matter of me trying to find a nice balance. I guess I'm failing miserably.......:animesweat

I look into those limiters, although to be honest I don't have experience with those at all. Oh, well, guess I'll wing it like everything else I do! X3

As soon, as I can I'll give a couple more trys and see what works the best. Don't know if you'd want more than one sample, so we can see what works? Or if you'd like me send just one sample that I think is an improvement?

Still glad everyone likes the voice!  :mowhappy I have fun doing the voice! I love doing different voices! ^_^ Squeeee!

I personally thought it sounded "settled," like someone Fa'Lina's age would be, and with her personality--she doesn't seem the type to exaggerate when she's alone (or thinks she is).

Nah, don't sell yourself short--you've only tried a few times.  Just a matter of working your way through it.  :)  The VOICE is spot-on, you just need to work a little on your performance.

I don't know what Tapewolf wants but more is probably better than less, all else being equal.  Again, can't speak for him, but that's what I'd do.

Glad you're having fun!  :D  Me too (although I don't get a lot of opportunities for it)!

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 14, 2010, 08:31:20 PM
I personally thought it sounded "settled," like someone Fa'Lina's age would be, and with her personality--she doesn't seem the type to exaggerate when she's alone (or thinks she is).

Nah, don't sell yourself short--you've only tried a few times.  Just a matter of working your way through it.  :)  The VOICE is spot-on, you just need to work a little on your performance.

I don't know what Tapewolf wants but more is probably better than less, all else being equal.  Again, can't speak for him, but that's what I'd do.

Glad you're having fun!  :D  Me too (although I don't get a lot of opportunities for it)!

That's true (about the settled part), still thought that the person who originally did though could given it something a little more, so she didn't sound "blah". (When I first heard it, I was like "Did the person just wake up?")

And thanks for encouragement!  :mowhappy And I'll just have to wait what Tapewolf says on that matter (I just don't want to overwhelm him with too much, in case he's really busy; you know!  :))

Having fun is always good!  :3

Tapewolf

Yes, you may as well send a couple at once.  It's when I get more than about 6 minutes of audio to review that I really start to put it to one side  :3

Keep trying, I think you're closing in on it.

As for the limiters, they can be expensive.  The one I use wasn't exactly an impulse buy and it took me a long time to figure out how to use it correctly anyway.  If you're going to do voice acting or music a lot - i.e. as a serious hobby - it's definitely worth looking into, but if it's just something you do occasionally it would be hard to justify the expense.

I'm using one of these:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun00/articles/tlafat.htm

...but I can't really see a simple replacement that's cheap and in production.  Some of the little ART microphone preamplifiers have built-in limiters, although whether they'll really work for this is unclear.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 12:18:10 PM

Yes, you may as well send a couple at once.  It's when I get more than about 6 minutes of audio to review that I really start to put it to one side  :3

Keep trying, I think you're closing in on it.

As for the limiters, they can be expensive.  The one I use wasn't exactly an impulse buy and it took me a long time to figure out how to use it correctly anyway.  If you're going to do voice acting or music a lot - i.e. as a serious hobby - it's definitely worth looking into, but if it's just something you do occasionally it would be hard to justify the expense.

I'm using one of these:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun00/articles/tlafat.htm

...but I can't really see a simple replacement that's cheap and in production.  Some of the little ART microphone preamplifiers have built-in limiters, although whether they'll really work for this is unclear.

Alright, several samples it is and I'm glad I'm improving!  :boogie

Google Rocks! :D *pets Google* The cheapest limiter I found that is actually decent (a friend has almost the same one, last I talked to him) was $175 dollars!!  D: Definitely, can't afford that.......... :crying (I'm googling and surfing as I type this btw) However, I did see a USB computer compatible one for $79 and that's on sale. Regrettably, that's still a little high for me. If I had a second job still I could, yet I haven't had any luck yet and I need to make my student refund money last for transportation and emergency bill pays. And again still the uncertainty that it will work for this is still in the air..........  :/ *sigh* I'll make do with what I have for now, unless other suggestions/advice arise.

Well as always, appreciate the help!  :) And any further more that is given. And as soon as I'm able I'll get to it and send you those samples.  :mowwink

Tapewolf

Oh, oh, one thing I forgot to mention, we've standardised on a couple of pronunciations.  They may not necessarily be correct, but they're what we use.

Ti'Fiona
Either Tee-Fee-Owner or Tiff-Fee-Owner.  (They're close enough that it doesn't really matter which of these two you pick)

Warp-aci
Warp A.C.

SAIA
Sye-Ah (or Sye-Ar)

...those are some of the more common ones, there are probably others we'll come across in due course.
Hope that helps.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2010, 07:21:45 PM
Oh, oh, one thing I forgot to mention, we've standardised on a couple of pronunciations.  They may not necessarily be correct, but they're what we use.

Ti'Fiona
Either Tee-Fee-Owner or Tiff-Fee-Owner.  (They're close enough that it doesn't really matter which of these two you pick)

Warp-aci
Warp A.C.

SAIA
Sye-Ah (or Sye-Ar)

...those are some of the more common ones, there are probably others we'll come across in due course.
Hope that helps.

Ok thanks!  :)

Mystiqe

Rather late reply to Tez, but I use a headset mic, and all my recordings come out superb! :0

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 14, 2010, 08:31:20 PM

I quite agree, I think her voice works quite well as Fa'Lina.  Also, what's the point of a limiter?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 18, 2010, 07:40:22 PM
I quite agree, I think her voice works quite well as Fa'Lina.  Also, what's the point of a limiter?

A brick-wall limiter prevents the signal from overloading and distorting, which sounds a bit rough on tape and utterly vile on most digital systems (if you know binary arithmetic, think 'overflow').
The limiter prevents this but it does have side effects.
If you take a recording of some music with several instruments and you deliberately compress it hard with a limiter, you will either end up with all the instruments at exactly the same volume and the whole thing turns to mush (see the 'loudness wars'), or with a slower attack/decay setting, you'll find that the bass drum causes the volume of everything else to change (an effect known as "pumping" or "breathing").

For spoken word stuff, you can use them to ensure that the whole delivery is at a consistent volume.  What I do is deliberately crank up the gain and so the limiter to ensures that it's all more-or-less level.  I use a slightly soft setting as opposed to "hard" (or "brick-wall") limiting, so that if I do need to go loud I still have the headroom to do so.

I hope that made some sense, probably not as I should be in bed  :rolleyes

llearch n'n'daCorna

It made sense. I wondered idly if I'd run across any bands who use the pumping or breathing technique deliberately...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 19, 2010, 05:12:24 AM
It made sense. I wondered idly if I'd run across any bands who use the pumping or breathing technique deliberately...

It's been done quite a lot.  Around 2004/2005 there was a song which made me cringe because they did this.  IIRC it was the same song that sampled the chorus from "Somebody to Love" by Jefferson Airplane.  It sounded like they put part of the song through hard compression and then used the drum track as the control input which made everything pump quite horribly in time with the bass drum.  I do wonder how many engineers also cringed whenever they heard it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. I spose I was wondering if anyone did it successfully, rather than with Fail.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 19, 2010, 07:20:30 AM
Heh. I spose I was wondering if anyone did it successfully, rather than with Fail.
I can't think of any examples offhand, and in its target market (people off of their heads on E) that song probably did quite well.  It certainly got a lot of airplay and it was a unique sound.  I just thought it happened to be a horrible unique sound :P

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 18, 2010, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 18, 2010, 07:40:22 PM

A brick-wall limiter prevents the signal from overloading and distorting, which sounds a bit rough on tape and utterly vile on most digital systems (if you know binary arithmetic, think 'overflow').
The limiter prevents this but it does have side effects.
If you take a recording of some music with several instruments and you deliberately compress it hard with a limiter, you will either end up with all the instruments at exactly the same volume and the whole thing turns to mush (see the 'loudness wars'), or with a slower attack/decay setting, you'll find that the bass drum causes the volume of everything else to change (an effect known as "pumping" or "breathing").

For spoken word stuff, you can use them to ensure that the whole delivery is at a consistent volume.  What I do is deliberately crank up the gain and so the limiter to ensures that it's all more-or-less level.  I use a slightly soft setting as opposed to "hard" (or "brick-wall") limiting, so that if I do need to go loud I still have the headroom to do so.

I hope that made some sense, probably not as I should be in bed  :rolleyes

Makes perfect sense.  Its basically the same as, or similar to, the "Dynamic Compression" setting on DVD and BluRay players and surround sound systems.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on February 18, 2010, 02:09:37 AM
Rather late reply to Tez, but I use a headset mic, and all my recordings come out superb! :0

Oh yeah, one thing I really would avoid is Bluetooth headsets since they invariably use lossy bit compression and it comes out sounding like a bad cellphone.  (This is more like MP3 compression, and is different to dynamics compression which we were also discussing).

...and on that note:

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on February 20, 2010, 11:51:01 PM
Makes perfect sense.  Its basically the same as, or similar to, the "Dynamic Compression" setting on DVD and BluRay players and surround sound systems.
It is the same kind of thing, only a professional compressor/limiter will give you much more control over what it's doing.

Atharyn

I just tried hitting the Radio Project site.  Several of the download links weren't working.  After a half dozen I stopped.  Is the site experiencing technical difficulties?

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Atharyn on February 26, 2010, 12:50:54 AM
I just tried hitting the Radio Project site.  Several of the download links weren't working.  After a half dozen I stopped.  Is the site experiencing technical difficulties?

I checked the site and noticed that too--the site itself is fine but the download links don't work.  I don't know what's going on....

Tapewolf

The sound files themselves are hosted on another site as they are big and I needed the space.  That site seems to be having problems, I'll ask Robbie about it.