[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 02, 2009, 08:11:29 PM
But anyway. Bought a new mic, and I like it. But I'm having A bit of trouble in audacity. I'll record the lines right away, and Send them your way, to see if you can hear the problem and fix it.
That'll depend on what the problem is, but yeah, if you can.  I have this week off work, so if it is possible to get those lines finished I should be in a position to finally get this episode sorted.
I do still need Dan to finish the whole set, but I think I can probably get the first episode done with what I have.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mystiqe

Alright then.

Oh uh.. by the by, you wouldn't happen to have any tips for the grunts and stuff, would you?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 02, 2009, 08:25:26 PM
Oh uh.. by the by, you wouldn't happen to have any tips for the grunts and stuff, would you?

Actually, something like this might work, at least for the bit where Anna and Shanna are squabbling:

"Aah!"
"Gnnr..."
"Come here!"
"Rrrrr...."
"Hey!"
"Stop that!"

Mystiqe

Alrighty =3

Also, the problem with my mic is apparently it's... really loud xD; So, I should be able to fix that.

The only real difficult thing i can see is the scream D:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 02, 2009, 08:51:25 PM
The only real difficult thing i can see is the scream D:

For the bit where they're attacked by Graz, one option would be to go something like "Hurk..!" like she's just gone down instantly.

Mystiqe

Alrighty. I'll try to get em done tomorrow C:

Sprocketsdance

Ooooo!! Go Mystique go!  :boogie You can do it!! You... are awesome! *enthusiastic thumbs-up* :D

Mystiqe

Thankyou Wuff!

Anyway! Internet was stupidly slow last evening, so here ya are.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1yzj52lmzmo

That'll be 14 overdue recordings, would you like fries with that? ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 05, 2009, 12:20:11 AM
That'll be 14 overdue recordings, would you like fries with that? ;)

Good, thanks.  The recordings are a little on the noisy side, but it seems to respond well to noise-reduction.  I'll start assembling the thing today and we'll see how far I get.

I'm thinking of ending the first part at 907.  We'll be waiting on James to do much more than that anyway.

Mystiqe

Yeah, for some reason the mic is making things louder then they should be. Sorry tape :C

And if I see James on MSN, I'll holler at him for you.

Tapewolf

We do have another problem in that strip 887 is missing Shanna.  I have given Toast a quick prod about that, but no answer yet.

Mystiqe

Did you note her on dA?

and I've got her on msn, I can nag if you'd like me to.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 07, 2009, 01:52:04 AM
Did you note her on dA?
Yes.

Quoteand I've got her on msn, I can nag if you'd like me to.
I wouldn't go as far as 'nag', but if you could find out when she's likely to be able to do it, that would be very helpful.

In the meantime, I'll probably record what I've assembled over the next few days.  If I don't have the lines by then I'll leave a gap and fix it later.

Mystiqe

She says hopefully soon, but she doesn't know exactly when as she needs to rent out the studio again.

All she has on the mic status is the one in her laptop, so, she can't do recordings like that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 07, 2009, 04:02:27 PM
She says hopefully soon, but she doesn't know exactly when as she needs to rent out the studio again.
All she has on the mic status is the one in her laptop, so, she can't do recordings like that.

Ah, gotcha.  I'll leave a gap then and redo it when she's able to provide the lines.  Everything else she's done is great  :3

Mystiqe

She'll get a hold of you when she has the key to the studio, or I'll get that from her and let you know.

I haven't seen James online for a bit, so :C I can't help you there. But as soon as I spot him, I'll send him your way.

Mystiqe

Also. In case anyone cares, I just got word from the status of my computer that I took into the shop. The diagnosis is hard drive failure :C So, I'll have to get a new one. But after that, I'll be back on my beast, and will probably crank out better recordings XD;

Anyways. I think this is the most I've been on this forum in one day xD; Ahaha. I need to learn how to browse forums better :U

Mystiqe

Hey, Tape, are you in need of any random male roles? My boyfriend is kinda interested in voice acting, and could probably be of service if you need it C:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 08, 2009, 12:15:23 AM
Hey, Tape, are you in need of any random male roles? My boyfriend is kinda interested in voice acting, and could probably be of service if you need it C:

In strip 881, someone says "Hurry! Dump 'em in quick!".  I do not currently have a voice for that.  It's probably supposed to be the mythos guy, but at this point I'm not fussed.

Mystiqe

I kinda think it'd be the female. I mean, could you see her dumping three amazons into a box? xD

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 08, 2009, 06:02:17 PM
I kinda think it'd be the female. I mean, could you see her dumping three amazons into a box? xD
Point.  I was tempted to go for a new, hypothetical character as the wagon driver.  Hence a new voice isn't a problem.  I was going to do it myself, but if someone else wants to, that's fine.

Mystiqe

Alright. I'll try to get a recording out of the BF for you C:

Mystiqe

So, he bailed. I'm not to impressed with him but oh well >.<

Sorry, Tape :C

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mystiqe, have you run across the "edit" button?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mystiqe

Yes, but it's more fun to make a new post :D

-j/k-

I completely spaced. Been that way lately.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

I think I'm (finally) ready to lay down the next part of this after setting up the fight and various background noises.  I'll try and do that tomorrow.  It should take us up to strip 889.

**EDIT**

Done.  I still need to overdub the wagon sounds, but that's easy enough to do.  Next block, which I might do over the weekend is 890-894.  I'm looking to finish this episode at strip 907.  After that we'll need more Dan recordings.

Sprocketsdance

:boogie Awesome! I can't wait to listen to it!

Baal Hadad

Quote from: wuffnpuff on August 14, 2009, 09:27:37 AM
:boogie Awesome! I can't wait to listen to it!

Me neither!  :D  Thanks for the updates, Tapewolf!

Tapewolf

Okay.  This takes us from strip 880-893.

http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/audio/radioproject/rodp_demo2.mp3

(Part 1 is here:  http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/audio/radioproject/rodp_demo1.mp3 )

You will notice that there is a certain amount of RF noise and popping.  This is because the audio card I'm using to do the transfers to and from tape is dying.  This happened in the middle of the Disasters project too, and the fact that the replacement unit has lasted such a short time pisses me off.  I was hoping not to spend too much money this month, looks like I'll have to get some kind of replacement, or see if it's possible to fix it (may be a recapping job.  Ugh).

I'll probably have to rerecord one or two lines where the RF noise has been printed to tape as well, but I think I got off fairly lightly this time.  In the meantime I've rigged up something where I use the Transit as a USB->Optical stage and then the Edirol as an Optical->Analog converter, with the USB unplugged so it doesn't get the input noise.

Any (sensible) suggestions would be welcome, with the proviso that it must obviously work under linux.  An external rackmounted AD/DA pair is a possibility, but I am only going to pay £2000 for an AD/DA pair if I get at least 80% of that in donations.

I am kind-of contemplating the Asus Xonar (which although an internal card, has a built-in RF shield).  However it looks like it won't be properly supported until 2.6.31 of the kernel ships, which is a bit of a problem.
I will not get another Roland/Edirol converter because they seem to die with appalling frequency.