[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

Oh, I wasn't intending my line in there to be used in there. I was far away from the mic, spotting for my wife. I'll do that line again when I make the fighting sounds.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 25, 2009, 08:22:45 PM
Oh, I wasn't intending my line in there to be used in there. I was far away from the mic, spotting for my wife. I'll do that line again when I make the fighting sounds.
Oh.  I thought it worked quite well.  Still, if you're planning to redo it, note the cough - that's the only thing I hesitated over.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mystiqe

I'm totally inlove with Kira's cackle. It's amazing. Props to her VA~

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on March 26, 2009, 01:52:04 AM
I'm totally inlove with Kira's cackle. It's amazing. Props to her VA~

Yes, Lena really did a good job there.  She actually sent me two takes of that... the other one was a little too maniacal and less natural-sounding.

Chakat Blackspots

The two full parts on http://dmfa.it-he.org/ are the latest, and more will be added later?  (also, I'm new here on the forum of course, been reading the comics for a while)

This is interesting.  The radio show (the second one on that page - Recipe for Disasters), skips from vol. 284 to vol. 288.  Any reason for that?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 30, 2009, 02:02:29 PM
The two full parts on http://dmfa.it-he.org/ are the latest, and more will be added later?  (also, I'm new here on the forum of course, been reading the comics for a while)

Welcome aboard.  Don't forget to read the rules.

For one reason or another we managed to miss doing a full-scale production last year.  I'm hoping to start taping the current arc next month, though we're still a few (mostly female) voices short.

QuoteThis is interesting.  The radio show (the second one on that page - Recipe for Disasters), skips from vol. 284 to vol. 288.  Any reason for that?
A combination of pacing and missing voices, really.

Chakat Blackspots

Thank you.  I hope to make a valuable member of this community.  Also, I had the idea of making a video with the comics and the audio so that you play it like you would any other video.

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2009, 05:56:14 PM
Thank you.  I hope to make a valuable member of this community.  Also, I had the idea of making a video with the comics and the audio so that you play it like you would any other video.
Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRncqdvjBiQ

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 31, 2009, 06:10:58 PM
Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2009, 05:56:14 PM
Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRncqdvjBiQ

Heh, yeah.  I see someone has already beat me to it.  (that being you)

Tapewolf

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2009, 06:21:17 PM

Catherine (who voices Mab) did the first one, actually.  She was too busy for the Disasters project so I took it on myself.  Removing the speech bubbles was the hardest part.

Anyway -  Rambon has kindly provided an example recording on her take on Regina... I'd be interested to know what people think of it:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Regina%20strip%20972.wma

Frankly, she comes across a little on the young side for that character, though it might fit her.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 31, 2009, 06:41:33 PM

Catherine (who voices Mab) did the first one, actually.  She was too busy for the Disasters project so I took it on myself.  Removing the speech bubbles was the hardest part.

Anyway -  Rambon has kindly provided an example recording on her take on Regina... I'd be interested to know what people think of it:

Frankly, she comes across a little on the young side for that character, though it might fit her.

Hmm, I think it might work (especially the last part with her being kind of valley girlish).  Just listened to the version on YouTube with whoever's male voice it was voicing Regina.

Jairus

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 31, 2009, 06:41:33 PM

Hmm, I think it might work (especially the last part with her being kind of valley girlish).  Just listened to the version on YouTube with whoever's male voice it was voicing Regina.
That would be me. And I think her voice works fine. Much better than mine.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rambon

Quote from: Jairus on March 31, 2009, 06:55:45 PM

Oh god... I sound like a... 5 year old?!

Jairus

Quote from: Rambon on March 31, 2009, 07:07:43 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of listening to a recording of yourself. Now you all know why I can't watch my parent's collection of movies of plays I've been in. *shudders* But, while it does sound a little high-pitched, you're a much better voice for Regina than I.

Rambon

Quote from: Jairus on March 31, 2009, 07:20:37 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of listening to a recording of yourself. Now you all know why I can't watch my parent's collection of movies of plays I've been in. *shudders* But, while it does sound a little high-pitched, you're a much better voice for Regina than I.

Not my normal voice... not at all... i was going for high-pitched but not THAT high...

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Rambon on March 31, 2009, 07:41:51 PM

Not my normal voice... not at all... i was going for high-pitched but not THAT high...

It also depends on what compression was used.  The human voice (and hearing) ranges from 20Hz to 20KHz.  The preferable compression would be at least 24KHz to keep the entire range of the human voice.  Anytime the compression goes below 20KHz, things get wonky (think AM Radio and its 10KHz bandwidth and compare it to FM with its 100KHz bandwidth [or 50KHz in Europe])

Rambon

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on March 31, 2009, 08:12:20 PM
Quote from: Rambon on March 31, 2009, 07:41:51 PM

It also depends on what compression was used.  The human voice (and hearing) ranges from 20Hz to 20KHz.  The preferable compression would be at least 24KHz to keep the entire range of the human voice.  Anytime the compression goes below 20KHz, things get wonky (think AM Radio and its 10KHz bandwidth and compare it to FM with its 100KHz bandwidth [or 50KHz in Europe])

THAT must be the reason the original files sound better!  ... *double checks*  :erk wait no... sounds around the same...  :<    And how exactly do you pronounce Aliph's name?

Chakat Blackspots

Jairus

Rambon

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Rambon on March 31, 2009, 09:07:11 PM
Quote from: Jairus on March 31, 2009, 09:00:38 PM
Well, it could be "Al-if" or "Al-eef."

And the one we're sticking to is?

I would think Al-if makes the most sense.

Tapewolf

On the subject of compression, I'd prefer to have either high-quality MP3 or raw WAV files if possible.  WMA was a bitch to even play at all and as is pointed out, it didn't really sound particularly hi-fi.

As for Aliph, I suppose I'll have to ask Amber or something.  What Lena has been doing is recording several takes of each line, one of which has 'Aleef' and one of which has 'Aliff'.  Of course you could try and pronounce it mid-way between the two  >:3

Rambon

I'll try Tape, but how do you save mp3 files?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rambon on April 01, 2009, 03:17:58 PM
I'll try Tape, but how do you save mp3 files?

What software are you recording with?

Rambon

Umm... the mic that is built into my mom's laptop.  I have no freaking idea what it's called and I can't check due to my mom taking the laptop to work with her.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rambon on April 01, 2009, 04:15:34 PM
Umm... the mic that is built into my mom's laptop.  I have no freaking idea what it's called and I can't check due to my mom taking the laptop to work with her.

Unfortunately that's not really enough to go on.  I guess it's either Sound Recorder - which is a nasty piece of work at the best of times - or something that was bundled with the machine.

You might consider downloading Audacity, since it's free and fairly well-understood.

It can be found here:  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

With Audacity, when you've got the recording, you go to File -> Export as WAV ...and that's basically it.

Rambon

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 01, 2009, 04:20:00 PM
Quote from: Rambon on April 01, 2009, 04:15:34 PM

Unfortunately that's not really enough to go on.  I guess it's either Sound Recorder - which is a nasty piece of work at the best of times - or something that was bundled with the machine.

You might consider downloading Audacity, since it's free and fairly well-understood.

It can be found here:  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

With Audacity, when you've got the recording, you go to File -> Export as WAV ...and that's basically it.

I think it was sound recorder... and i agree about it being a nasty piece of work part... i needed to repeat myself 20 times before i got the one that everyone listened too ... semi-decent. and when i said 20... I am NOT exaggerating.

I do have another sound recording device on another computer, but I'd rather die than use that old piece of scrap metal ever again.   And i lost the install disk, so i can't bring it to my normal computer.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rambon on April 01, 2009, 04:31:38 PM
I do have another sound recording device on another computer, but I'd rather die than use that old piece of scrap metal ever again.   And i lost the install disk, so i can't bring it to my normal computer.

Audacity...

Anyway - here we have 986,987 and 989.  It didn't seem worth doing the Kria & Lorenda bit without Lorenda, but I gave Regina a shot anyway.  It was fun to do, and it gives me some idea how to assemble it when I have the final voice.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_986.wav.mp3

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 01, 2009, 07:06:53 PM
Quote from: Rambon on April 01, 2009, 04:31:38 PM

Audacity...

Anyway - here we have 986,987 and 989.  It didn't seem worth doing the Kria & Lorenda bit without Lorenda, but I gave Regina a shot anyway.  It was fun to do, and it gives me some idea how to assemble it when I have the final voice.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_986.wav.mp3

The one little beef I have with that is that the sound effects severely drown out Kria's "Yeah, well, you're a buttface" and therefore it takes away from the humor of it.  That and maybe I would have expected Aliph to be talking more severely at the beginning, although maybe he's tired from talking to much....

Other than that (and the missing page), though, I like it--especially Kria's "What was that you said, dear brother?"  :giggle

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on April 02, 2009, 06:43:53 PM
The one little beef I have with that is that the sound effects severely drown out Kria's "Yeah, well, you're a buttface" and therefore it takes away from the humor of it.

That is one of the bits which I was hoping for critique on.  I wasn't quite sure whether to have him beam out during or after Kria calling him a buttface.

QuoteThat and maybe I would have expected Aliph to be talking more severely at the beginning, although maybe he's tired from talking to much...
I'm probably going to redo that bit.  When I assembled it I noticed that there was a distinct difference between him ranting about Dan and him talking to Lorenda, but I was very busy last night and didn't have time to re-take it.