[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 15, 2009, 03:31:02 PM
Uploading it to your site now.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_965-jsr2.wav.mp3

...note that the shouting is actually quieter than the rest of the dialogue.  Rather than crush the sample to oblivion I've decided I'm going to set the level in the mix when it's all tracked to tape.
I'm hoping to start work on that next month so I'll soon have to start checking the sample catalogue to see what's missing and what needs to be re-done.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on March 15, 2009, 03:31:02 PM
Uploading it to your site now.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_965-jsr2.wav.mp3

...note that the shouting is actually quieter than the rest of the dialogue.  Rather than crush the sample to oblivion I've decided I'm going to set the level in the mix when it's all tracked to tape.
I'm hoping to start work on that next month so I'll soon have to start checking the sample catalogue to see what's missing and what needs to be re-done.

Wow....

When I heard Tapewolf's rendition I didn't think the emotion could get better even if the voice were the right one.

I was wrong.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 05:34:28 PM
When I heard Tapewolf's rendition I didn't think the emotion could get better even if the voice were the right one.  I was wrong.

He did about five takes.  Most of them were taken from the last take, where his voice was starting to get hoarse from the shouting.  If you want good results, hurt the artist  >:3

EDIT:

Also, I'm hoping to have a proper update Wednesday, with DP and all.  Where it ends depends on what happens strip-wise monday, I think.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2009, 05:37:55 PM
When I heard Tapewolf's rendition I didn't think the emotion could get better even if the voice were the right one.  I was wrong.

He did about five takes.  Most of them were taken from the last take, where his voice was starting to get hoarse from the shouting.  If you want good results, hurt the artist  >:3

EDIT:

Also, I'm hoping to have a proper update Wednesday, with DP and all.  Where it ends depends on what happens strip-wise monday, I think.

Looking forward to it!  :)

(And yeah, Stanley Kubrick knew that little secret well....  ;))

James StarRunner

Wow....

When I heard Tapewolf's rendition I didn't think the emotion could get better even if the voice were the right one.

I was wrong.
Well, that's good. I killed my voice trying to do it. XD

Baal Hadad

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 16, 2009, 04:39:35 PM
Wow....

I was wrong.
Well, that's good. I killed my voice trying to do it. XD

Heh, sorry to hear that, but at least it paid off!  ;)

I think I was mostly (not entirely, but mostly) listening for the "Do you hear me!?" line both times.  In Tapewolf's rendition I liked the way his voice rose in pitch at the end, it REALLY made Dan sound dangerous there.  I hadn't heard anything like it before in the Radio Project that I recall, and with the music it sounded awesome (so much so that I felt Kria's line in the last panel killed the mood).

However, in yours it seemed to better fit Dan's expression in that panel--you didn't make your voice rise in pitch as Tapewolf's did, but I felt (more so than in his rendition) like I was hearing what Dan was saying EXACTLY how he was saying it there (and not just because you're the main voice for him).  In particular, yours seemed to acknowledge Dan's tears in that panel--the fact that he was crying even while yelling in anger, and I really think you nailed it.

Arroyo Milori

Hmm~ I liked Dan's screaming part. I felt like the person who played as Regina could have been a bit better at the part. Kria lacked in the end, but hey I'm sure you got a page worth of people saying that. : P

You did a good job, I thought it can be better though.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on March 16, 2009, 11:15:19 PM
Hmm~ I liked Dan's screaming part. I felt like the person who played as Regina could have been a bit better at the part. Kria lacked in the end, but hey I'm sure you got a page worth of people saying that. : P

Note that Regina is currently being played by a man.  That will be changed, though we've hit a snag - Aurawyn has had to bow out owing to RL pressures.  I've asked Rambon if she's interested, but I haven't had a reply yet.  There are a couple of other people I might ask.

QuoteYou did a good job, I thought it can be better though.
In this version the score and the dialogue weren't as precisely aligned as when I did Dan.  And I'm not sure what to do about Kria.  If I ditch her we might be able to get the score to end where Dan smacks the door.

Hmm, I'll need to hunt down Mystiqe and bug her about more Fi voices, I think.  And we definitely need Lorenda's voice.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 17, 2009, 05:08:10 AM
Quote from: Arroyo Milori on March 16, 2009, 11:15:19 PM

Note that Regina is currently being played by a man.  That will be changed, though we've hit a snag - Aurawyn has had to bow out owing to RL pressures.  I've asked Rambon if she's interested, but I haven't had a reply yet.  There are a couple of other people I might ask.
Do note that I also recorded my bits way before James did. I had no idea how he was going to sound, so I couldn't record in reference to him.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

James StarRunner

And that you're a man and will obviously be replaced. :P

I do have several Lorenda lines, but not the recent ones yet. Will work on that.

I also know a voice actress outside DMFA who may be able to help with Regina.

Jairus

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 17, 2009, 01:08:57 PM
And that you're a man and will obviously be replaced. :P

I also know a voice actress outside DMFA who may be able to help with Regina.
Well, that much is obvious. :rolleyes

Oh? Good. That would be lovely.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

James StarRunner

Ya, but no guarantee yet if she's interested, I only just gave her a message.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 17, 2009, 01:25:55 PM
Ya, but no guarantee yet if she's interested, I only just gave her a message.
Remember, Regina speaks with a valley-girl accent...

James StarRunner

Wait... like a Japanese valley girl? I never heard of any other 'valley' accent.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 17, 2009, 01:31:23 PM
Wait... like a Japanese valley girl? I never heard of any other 'valley' accent.

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, y'know, like, for sure, like, and stuff.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 17, 2009, 01:31:23 PM

It seems to be mostly an American term.  I've got a few examples and links I can dig out.  Randomly inserting the word 'like' into the word-stream seems to be a common symptom, e.g. strip 972.

EDIT:  Kind of like what llearch just did.

James StarRunner

Oh, so like most teenage girls here, gotcha. :P

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 17, 2009, 01:36:42 PM
It seems to be mostly an American term.  I've got a few examples and links I can dig out.  Randomly inserting the word 'like' into the word-stream seems to be a common symptom, e.g. strip 972.

EDIT:  Kind of like what llearch just did.

Valspeak  Caution: somewhat toxic to non-Califorians, use with discretion.

Baal Hadad

Out of curiosity, who's doing the voice for Aniz in the Radio Project?  I haven't heard of a "definitive" file for him.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 18, 2009, 02:42:39 AM
Out of curiosity, who's doing the voice for Aniz in the Radio Project?  I haven't heard of a "definitive" file for him.

Work on Abel's Story has been somewhat stalled for some time now.  I can't remember who did him at the time, and I don't know if they're still interested.  It's something we can revisit if Aniz turns up in the mainline.  I might look at doing a production of Abel's Story after the current arc is done, but I do still want to get the SAIA arc taped out at some stage

Tapewolf

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_976.wav.mp3

This feels a little rushed, IMHO - and at the end of the day it probably was.  Lorenda is badly recorded - I didn't take much care because she'll be replaced by Yakanaj eventually.
I'm not entirely happy with the timing of the DP voicings and I might replace the score.

Still, see what yous thinks.

JackTheCubiWolf

The links won't work for me
is there another way to find the radio series
I'm back, and tired.

Tapewolf

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on March 19, 2009, 06:20:29 PM
The links won't work for me
is there another way to find the radio series

Not at present, no.  There are a couple of finished productions on Youtube and one test video of Dan vs Regina, but the bulk of it is on it-he.  What are the links doing for you?  Can you get to the main site at http://dmfa.it-he.org ?

JackTheCubiWolf

yea that link works thanks oh and i've seen one on youtube
I'm back, and tired.

Caswin

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 18, 2009, 05:15:36 AM
Work on Abel's Story has been somewhat stalled for some time now.  I can't remember who did him at the time, and I don't know if they're still interested.
You may be thinking of me.  I'd be willing to give it another try in the near future - I think I have a better handle on Aniz's character now, not to mention it just entered my head that "Hm, maybe I should ask the author what he sounds like" this time.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Mystiqe

Holy cow! So sorry for my long bought of silence! School is argh D: That, and I recently got a job, the money is fantastic, but I get so tired :C

Anyway, I have Aliyka lines...           http://www.mediafire.com/?tzteq0tnjtz

896-899
901-902
929-930
907-908

What else was needed?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on March 25, 2009, 02:18:39 PM
Holy cow! So sorry for my long bought of silence! School is argh D: That, and I recently got a job, the money is fantastic, but I get so tired :C

Yes, it's that awkward choice...

QuoteAnyway, I have Aliyka lines...           http://www.mediafire.com/?tzteq0tnjtz
What else was needed?

Excellent, thanks!  I'll check those over shortly.  As for more stuff, we need a few more Fi lines.  See strips 959 (some kind of bored sound), 967 and 975.

Mystiqe

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 25, 2009, 03:12:46 PM
Quote from: Mystiqe on March 25, 2009, 02:18:39 PM

Yes, it's that awkward choice...

QuoteAnyway, I have Aliyka lines...           http://www.mediafire.com/?tzteq0tnjtz
What else was needed?

Excellent, thanks!  I'll check those over shortly.  As for more stuff, we need a few more Fi lines.  See strips 959 (some kind of bored sound), 967 and 975.

Alright, thankyou Tapewolf. I'll do those later today :3

Tapewolf

This was also rushed - I've been tracking vocals on a 12-minute song, evaluating mastered songs, evaluating voice acting and goodness knows what else!

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_984-985.wav.mp3

...suggestions for better ways to merge Dan/Lorenda and Kria/DP would be welcome.
I must also note that for the first time in ages we've had a full cast recording with no substitutions.  Thanks go out to all the cast :P