[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2009, 06:00:49 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 19, 2009, 05:58:38 PM
What, if I may ask, is an aircon? I'm not familiar with the term.

Air Conditioning.
Ah. I'm more familiar with the term "AC."
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

James StarRunner

Air conditioner is what I assume he means. I still record close to my laptop since it has next to no sound and the mic cord isn't long to allow me to go to another room anyways.

...And so it is that Tape really did mean air conditioner. I don't even have one, I just have to worry about the furnace. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2009, 06:02:44 PM
Air conditioner is what I assume he means. I still record close to my laptop since it has next to no sound and the mic cord isn't long to allow me to go to another room anyways.
That also works.  However, you can get headphone extenders and unless you're using an expensive XLR mic or some USB thing, those will work.  For the other kinds you can still get extenders but they'll take a bit more finding.

Quote...And so it is that Tape really did mean air conditioner. I don't even have one, I just have to worry about the furnace. :P
I will often switch off the central heating.  Sometimes I forget to switch it on again and have a luke warm shower in the morning  :U

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

rabid_fox

That all sounds like an awful lot of effort. I was hoping for magic pixie dust.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 19, 2009, 06:17:56 PM
That all sounds like an awful lot of effort. I was hoping for magic pixie dust.

That is also an option, but I figured you'd want a cheap'n'cheerful solution rather than spending hundreds of pounds/euros etc.

**EDIT**

Specifically, the following would count as Pixie Dust:
* A solid-state WAV recorder, such as the Korg MR-1 or the m-Audio Microtrack.  You won't get much change from £450 for the Korg or Fostex, the Microtrack 2 is about half that.

* I think you can get studio time for as little as £40/hour...

...or you can buy a headphone extender for about £3 and record in a different room to the computer  >:3

Baal Hadad

My apologies if this has been asked (and please redirect me if it has), but I've been curious about something for a long time:

Where did Merlitz come from in the "Warrior for Hire" recording?  He's not in the comic version, and he's not even acting in character there.

Could someone please inform me as to how/why that came about?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I believe it was the result of Lore not allowing us (by dint of failing to respond when asked, I thought) to use his likeness.

Since we didn't have approval (and hence, by default, played it safe) Tapewolf put in a workaround. Personally, I think it works well...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Pagan

Not to mention Merl's lines in that one are hilarious.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2009, 05:31:24 PM
I believe it was the result of Lore not allowing us (by dint of failing to respond when asked, I thought) to use his likeness.

Since we didn't have approval (and hence, by default, played it safe) Tapewolf put in a workaround. Personally, I think it works well...

Ah, yes, I keep forgetting that much of the cast (especially in the earlier comics) is made up of borrowed characters....  That makes sense (although it was an...interesting choice to substitute MERLITZ....)   :giggle

Quote from: Pagan on February 20, 2009, 05:32:42 PM
Not to mention Merl's lines in that one are hilarious.

Well, I agree--it is out of context, but it does sound funny:

"Nothing at all!  Don't worry about it!"
"You didn't have to TELL him!"
"No, no, it's nothing to do with me at all!  Don't try to pin that on me!"
"Oh, s***!  Lore's escaped!  RUN!!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 20, 2009, 05:38:52 PM
Ah, yes, I keep forgetting that much of the cast (especially in the earlier comics) is made up of borrowed characters....  That makes sense (although it was an...interesting choice to substitute MERLITZ....)   :giggle

Completely logical, since I do the editing and Merlitz is the character I voice.  I had sufficient archival material for Dan to string it together in amusing ways...

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2009, 05:52:48 PM

Completely logical, since I do the editing and Merlitz is the character I voice.  I had sufficient archival material for Dan to string it together in amusing ways...

I did wonder if that was the reason.

Anyway, it still works, because it's funny.   :giggle

rabid_fox

Are we still hunting for a female voice for Regina? Because my sister's going to record her lines today.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 21, 2009, 04:14:26 AM
Are we still hunting for a female voice for Regina? Because my sister's going to record her lines today.

Officially, Aurawyn's voicing her.  By the way, the link you sent me was stuffed...

As for the current pages, I'm not quite sure what to do.  If we get the new lines for Dan, I'll merge the whole lot in.  Otherwise, I might record Dan myself again since it will sound weird cutting from James to me.

rabid_fox

Stuffed as in not working, or stuffed as in "Re-record that, it's awful"?

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 21, 2009, 06:40:39 AM
Stuffed as in not working, or stuffed as in "Re-record that, it's awful"?

Stuffed as in

Error
No file choosen.
Please choose a file you want to upload to RapidShare. You can get further information in our FAQ section.

Tapewolf

rabid_fox

Ooo, good shouting. Good shouting is hard to do, but that was good shouting.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 21, 2009, 11:53:11 AM

Part of the secret is to use an outboard compressor, though in this case I had it turned down low enough that it didn't make so much difference.  I also added echo for emphasis, though I suspect most people noticed that...

Here's a newer version, with a more even sound mix and Kria.
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_973b2.wav.mp3

Baal Hadad

I don't care if it is blasphemy, I like the original version of that better, without Kria.  I can just FEEL the emotion oozing out of that one, especially with the music....

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 21, 2009, 02:37:25 PM
I don't care if it is blasphemy, I like the original version of that better, without Kria.  I can just FEEL the emotion oozing out of that one, especially with the music....

That's not blasphemy, it's valuable critique  :P

I turned it down in the remix because Dan was actually distorting.  However, if a little distortion gives it more punch, I might revert it.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2009, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 21, 2009, 02:37:25 PM

That's not blasphemy, it's valuable critique  :P

I turned it down in the remix because Dan was actually distorting.  However, if a little distortion gives it more punch, I might revert it.

Um...actually I was only referring to the fact that Kria's funny dialogue kind of took away from the emotion of it....

However, now that you mention it, based on what I remember, I DO think that the emotion of the first one was better, Kria or no Kria....

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 21, 2009, 03:20:39 PM
Um...actually I was only referring to the fact that Kria's funny dialogue kind of took away from the emotion of it....

However, now that you mention it, based on what I remember, I DO think that the emotion of the first one was better, Kria  or no Kria....

Okay, I'll be honest - I was considering dropping Kria's line for that reason.  I might still do that.

Baal Hadad

"Oh, s***!  Lore's escaped!  RUN!!"

Sorry to bring this up again, but I intend to make it my final question on this particular recording....

I just watched the youtube video again and saw Lore at the end--if you were playing it safe by not putting him into the recording, how were you able to put him in the video?  Did his owner finally get back to you, or what?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 21, 2009, 08:18:02 PM
I just watched the youtube video again and saw Lore at the end--if you were playing it safe by not putting him into the recording, how were you able to put him in the video?  Did his owner finally get back to you, or what?

I honestly have no idea.  Ask Catherine.

Rambon

Hey Tapewolf,  I finally got a mic. If you need any voices for any Female characters I'm in line.:mowmeep

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rambon on February 22, 2009, 12:00:11 AM
Hey Tapewolf,  I finally got a mic. If you need any voices for any Female characters I'm in line.:mowmeep

I'll have to check, but I don't think we've got voices for all of Anna, Hannah and Shanna.
Rather we do, but Jairus is playing one of them and Lena is playing both the others.  Also, her Hannah and Kria sound a little too close, so if we can replace that it would probably be for the best.

**EDIT**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq5LIb9TUws&fmt=18

The original .mov file can be had here:
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/video/Regina.mov

James StarRunner

Bah... I hate moving... There's still things we haven't found since unpacking mostly everything, but I do have my mic again.

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 21, 2009, 11:53:11 AM

Apparently I was told I do good shouting too. It completely threw me off at first since I'm really not a person to yell/shout in life, even when upset.

Rambon

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2009, 06:43:44 AM

I'll have to check, but I don't think we've got voices for all of Anna, Hannah and Shanna.
Rather we do, but Jairus is playing one of them and Lena is playing both the others.  Also, her Hannah and Kria sound a little too close, so if we can replace that it would probably be for the best.

Would you like me to make a sample of something?

Tapewolf

Somehow I seem to have lost James' "Dan vs Regina" recording.  It might be at work, if not I've somehow lost it completely.  Does anyone have a copy of it, since his site is down?

Quote from: Rambon on March 15, 2009, 11:08:51 AM
Would you like me to make a sample of something?

Yes please.  Do you want to give Anna a go?
She's the plant-mythos.  Turns up in the following strips:
882-884 (possibly growling or something in 885)
909-911, 913, 914, 923(yell at bottom?), and 924

If Mystiqe doesn't return we may need a replacement voice for Aliyka too...