[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf: I can do the big red guy, if you like. *grin* Just for that surreal touch...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2009, 12:19:54 PM
I'm not sure we've got a voice for the red guy in 878-879.
The Red Guy? Here? Away from Cow and Chicken and Weasel and Baboon? How?!

Oh, different Red Guy. My bad. Actually, I thought that was a girl...

... if you can wait a little bit, I could try to record him/her when I get home and back to my mic. I mean, it could work as a placeholder, I suppose.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tyranastrasz

Alright, I've recorded Glev. Can I get the user/pass for your FTP site?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on January 19, 2009, 01:41:51 PM
Alright, I've recorded Glev. Can I get the user/pass for your FTP site?

If anyone's curious, here's Ty's rendition:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Glev.mp3

Suggestions for improving it would be welcome.  To my ears it sounds a little lifeless, but I'm a little more concerned about the digital artifacts I'm hearing.  Does anyone have suggestions for what might be causing it?  It doesn't sound like noise reduction to me.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tyranastrasz

I can fix the lifeless thing; I was kinda going for a more bored tone, since it is a cemetery and all. However, I'd rather not put the time into producing a better recording until I can improve the sound quality.

Edit: Alright, I tried a couple different things here to try to improve the sound quality. I uploaded them as glev2 and glev3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on January 19, 2009, 03:24:41 PM
Edit: Alright, I tried a couple different things here to try to improve the sound quality. I uploaded them as glev2 and glev3
Glev2 is a bit better.  Glev3 doesn't have the same problem, but it sounds like you used the noise reduction which has caused its own problems :B

Tyranastrasz

Can you edit out the noise reduction yourself without causing those problems, by any chance?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on January 20, 2009, 08:52:00 AM
Can you edit out the noise reduction yourself without causing those problems, by any chance?
About the same way I can turn toast back into fresh bread  :<

I generally ask for the files in raw, unedited, unprocessed form.  If I think they need noise reduction or filtering, I can add that here, but I can't remove it.

If the only difference is that you used noise reduction, I might try that here and see if I can take away the weirdness without damaging it too much.  I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

**EDIT**
I don't suppose you know what the audio chip in your computer is, by any chance?

Tyranastrasz

Something from Realtek =/

EDIT: Sorry I haven't re-recorded all the lines yet, yesterday I started getting a rather nasty case of food poisoning or something. I probably won't be able to get it done for the next day or two. =/

Tapewolf

Here's strips 951-959.  We don't currently have a voice for the girl Jyrras was trying to hit on.
I haven't been able to get voices for Alexsi (Teekay, sick), Abel (Brun), Pyroduck (Jack McSlay) or the tentacle-girl (Keaton), but Alexsi aside, I think it hangs together reasonably well.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp951.wav.mp3

Jairus plays Abel, I'm playing Alexsi (unfortunately) and Pyroduck.  I wasted a lot of time because the audio unit was set to the wrong sample rate which caused it to bug out and drop packets.  This is why Alexsi's voice comes out a bit rushed and garbled on occasion.   

Baal Hadad

Heh...I thought it was fine, and I actually laughed out loud when I heard Alexsi's lines--specifically the "Bambi eyes" lines.  It is true that you're going to need Teekay or someone else to redo those, but your delivery was cute.

Zibani

Voices is what I do. If there is ever a need for someone to play a part, I'd love to, Just PM me about it.
(Like perhaps Devin, when you get there...)

Tapewolf

Dammit, I hit "Modify" instead of 'Quote'.  Sorry about that.

Quote from: Zibani on January 22, 2009, 02:43:58 PM
Voices is what I do. If there is ever a need for someone to play a part, I'd love to, Just PM me about it.
(Like perhaps Devin, when you get there...)

I can't think of any offhand.  Rabidfox is currently the actor pencilled-in for Devin, and the role has been promised to Jairus if he's vanished.  If there's another male character turns up soon, then I guess you're in the running  :P

Having said that:

* We might need to voice Graz if Stiletto can't (must chase him up again)
* We'll need sounds for the guy Alexsi tortures at the start of the arc.
* And someone needs to voice the red cobra-type person

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 22, 2009, 03:09:09 PM
I'd volunteer, but A) I think Zibani should get a chance to do a few, and B) I've done a bunch of voices already.

Zibani

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 22, 2009, 03:09:09 PM

I can't think of any offhand.  Rabidfox is currently the actor penciled-in for Devin, and the role has been promised to Jairus if he's vanished.  If there's another male character turns up soon, then I guess you're in the running  :P

Having said that:

A couple of things... First, do you have a preference in terms of the actors saying just their lines vs. reading the whole strip? Just wanna make sure in case it's easier one way... also, If the character is minor, I'm sure that I could do a convincing female voice...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zibani on January 22, 2009, 08:16:43 PM
A couple of things... First, do you have a preference in terms of the actors saying just their lines vs. reading the whole strip? Just wanna make sure in case it's easier one way... also, If the character is minor, I'm sure that I could do a convincing female voice...

Generally I prefer it if people do just the lines for their character, though if you get better results from doing both, I can strip out the bits I don't need. 

As for minor female characters, the two-headed mythos (whose name I think Amber mentioned, but I've forgotten) at the start is also lacking voices.  897 probably requires double-tracking for the lines where both heads are speaking, though I should be able to ADT it if that's going to be a problem.  If you do double-track it, it would be nice to have both tracks separately, or possibly as a stereo pair.

Tapewolf

Aurawyn informs me that she's recovered, so hopefully we should have some Regina lines soon.  In time for Wednesday, with any luck.

**EDIT**
Crap, another week gone and no progress.  If I still haven't got them by Wednesday, I'll record them myself.  Right now, I don't feel up to it.

rabid_fox

If I recorded Reginas lines, the end product would be weird.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Okay, there will be a recording very soon, but not tonight - I've just discovered that the critical lines from strip 970 are missing from the Kria recordings.  Also I'm going to need a bit more time to deal with the special effects.  Depending on how prompt Lena is (and she's usually pretty good), we may, with luck have one tomorrow.  Failing that, the weekend.

Tapewolf

Okay, thanks to the stellar efforts of Lena, I now have a full recording!  (Technically it is tomorrow, well, here anyway).  Probably best, since in a few hours Dan may have had his glorious moment taken from him by Amber fate.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dp_965-v2.wav.mp3

This runs up to 973.  I'm playing Dan and Fi.  Regina is being played by Jairus.  Everyone else (Kria, Devin) is being played by the correct personnel.

Enjoy!

rabid_fox

Rolls together pretty well, actually. I like the poke-poke-poke-poke after the door shutting, heh. Smooth, smooth.

Oh dear.

Baal Hadad

:giggle

"But I'm on brea-a-a-a-a-a-ak!"

I hope the real Regina lines are that good....

Somehow she's less irritating with a voice....

Anyway, good to finally hear Devin's lines in DMFA!  That's been something to look forward to ever since he appeared.  Now if only he'll interact with the established cast (other than Fi)....

James StarRunner

Baal Hadad

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 18, 2009, 11:09:52 PM
http://www.crystaltopia.com/sound%20files/DanvsRegina.wav

>.>
<.<

*starts packing*

Okay....

1st "I learned to hear thoughts": Oh.  My.  God.  Even creepier than the image....   :erk

2nd: "Axe murderer, axe murderer, kill, kill, kill...."

But yeah, looking forward to when this can be added to the original!  :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 18, 2009, 09:25:35 PM
Anyway, good to finally hear Devin's lines in DMFA!  That's been something to look forward to ever since he appeared.  Now if only he'll interact with the established cast (other than Fi)....

Devin's lines came out quite well, all things considered.  I don't know how I missed it before (I probably previewed it on my mac's awful sound system) but they sound like they were recorded in a power station.  I had to do two passes of noise reduction and also use a notch filter to get rid of a strange whine around 1250hz.

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 18, 2009, 11:31:12 PM
1st "I learned to hear thoughts": Oh.  My.  God.  Even creepier than the image....   :erk
2nd: "Axe murderer, axe murderer, kill, kill, kill...."

But yeah, looking forward to when this can be added to the original!  :)

I think he overdid it on the second one.  Still, it's great to get some proper Dan recordings again - getting voices from the VAs has been a frustrating experience of late.  I'm hoping we'll be in a position to start assembling the arc in a few months, but I guess time will tell.

I'll try and merge James in tonight, but I have other projects on the go - colouring PF, tracking a new song, running a diagnostic on the Studer, doing the backup mirror, buying food, fixing the bike and so forth, so I can't guarantee it'll be done tonight.

**EDIT**

I forget to mention.  The 'poke poke poke' sound.  I didn't have anything resembling ice-cream except for margarine, and I wasn't going to poke that.  I ended up poking a cheese, and then overdubbing the squashed melon sound I often use for squelchy noises.

rabid_fox

Also, how in the hell you guys keep your recordings so clean is beyond me. I try so hard and I still sound fuzzy and awkward by comparison.

Oh dear.

James StarRunner

For me, it's a decent microphone + quiet cooling fans + mic sensitivity down/speaking up.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on February 19, 2009, 05:06:45 PM
Also, how in the hell you guys keep your recordings so clean is beyond me. I try so hard and I still sound fuzzy and awkward by comparison.

I think your big problem is that you record in the same room as the computer.  If possible, run a long lead into another room, and record there.  I have all the machinery in the 'control room' (Tape machines, tape echo, computers, everything that's noisy) and the mic is in the most accoustically-dead part of my bedroom.

If you're already doing this, there's something else in the room that's noisy.  People in the US often send me recordings with the aircon in the background because they're used to hearing it.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2009, 05:54:31 PM
Quote from: rabid_fox on February 19, 2009, 05:06:45 PM

I think your big problem is that you record in the same room as the computer.  If possible, run a long lead into another room, and record there.  I have all the machinery in the 'control room' (Tape machines, tape echo, computers, everything that's noisy) and the mic is in the most accoustically-dead part of my bedroom.

If you're already doing this, there's something else in the room that's noisy.  People in the US often send me recordings with the aircon in the background because they're used to hearing it.
Well, that option doesn't work quite as well for me, since I have a laptop. But I basically turn off every electronic item in the house (and the heater, should it be that cold) while I'm recording, to try and keep it as clean as possible. The headset's mic is also right next to my mouth, so it doesn't necessarily pick up sounds from too far away.

What, if I may ask, is an aircon? I'm not familiar with the term.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 19, 2009, 05:58:38 PM
What, if I may ask, is an aircon? I'm not familiar with the term.

Air Conditioning.