Previous topic - Next topic

Mystiqe

i fixed the problem guys =3 ill start recording asap

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 27, 2008, 04:29:18 AM
I'm not sure I can listen to any section I'm actively playing in, though, because I -really- can't stand to hear myself talk. Odd, really, given the amount I type...

Ya know... used to be that I couldn't stand my own voice, either. One of the reasons I liked to lose myself in goofy character voices was that they sounded nothing like me. (That was actually one of my criteria for character voices when I started voice acting: If I could still tell it was my voice, I'd have to change it until there wasn't any of me left in it.) But over time, I did grow a lot more comfortable with my normal voice. All that VA work has given it a weight and presence that wasn't there before. People noticed. I'm a much better public speaker, too.

So maybe voicing a few female extras for us is just a stepping stone to a new and better you. :mowcookie

(If anyone remembers... one of the first characters I submitted a voice for when this thing started was Matilda. Gawd. What was I thinking? :animesweat)
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

James StarRunner

Heh... I wasn't comfortable with my voice either, even after some acting experience. When I was given Dan's role, we had the first few lines lowered in pitch so it didn't sound as much like me. But we used my normal voice soon after. I'm sure now that all the compliments I received since then have helped me be more confident in my voice and as a result, I think I got even better.

And yes, I remember that Matilda voice, I don't know what you were thinking either. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on January 28, 2008, 05:28:05 PM
Heh... I wasn't comfortable with my voice either, even after some acting experience. When I was given Dan's role, we had the first few lines lowered in pitch so it didn't sound as much like me.

That was actually an accident.  Some of the lines were at 22khz and some of them were 24, and I managed to screw up the conversion  :P

QuoteAnd yes, I remember that Matilda voice, I don't know what you were thinking either. :P

I don't, but I've probably got it somewhere...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

Oh? I thought I told you to make my voice deeper. XD

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on January 28, 2008, 06:23:12 PM
Oh? I thought I told you to make my voice deeper. XD

IIRC you did say it sounded better like that, but of course after a few recordings I forgot to do it...

**EDIT**

http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum1967.htm#ref38

http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum1967.htm#ref51

>:3

James StarRunner

Oh, I didn't know all of that was saved. Neat!

*looks back at all the times he hinted at not wanting to do Dan*
Hehehe... I certainly fell in love with the role later. Oh this is funny and scary reading these again.

Brunhidden

Now that my house full of 6 is back down to a house of 3 i may be able to finish the last of the abel.... now, what lines were i missing?

QuoteAm i my brothers keeper?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Mystiqe

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 28, 2008, 04:41:21 AM
Out of interest, how?

truthfully, i have no idea <<;;

--

anyway, guys, do you know of any free musicmaking software? i wanna try a go at singing, even tho i fail... like... superly

Tapewolf

Brun, there are a couple of bits of Abel which I'd like rerecorded, but I'd have to check back home to get you an exact list.

Off the top of my head, much of the ones in the 'Church pt 4' recording could do with alternate takes - the beginning in particular was too loud and distorted, and later on the delivery is a little murky, e.g. when he says "Just sit here and wait?" or whatever, I can't really understand it.  It might be an idea to try and redo that one a bit more slowly?

Also, do you think you could do a bit more of the Dune quotation?
"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration..."

Quote from: Mystiqe on January 29, 2008, 03:57:56 AM
truthfully, i have no idea <<;;

Pity - it would have made a handy future reference.

Quoteanyway, guys, do you know of any free musicmaking software? i wanna try a go at singing, even tho i fail... like... superly

Depends what you're trying to do.  If you can play your own instruments and you just need a multitrack recorder, Audacity can be used for that.  For something more advanced, you might want to check out Reaper, which is shareware (runs on Windows, MacOS, WINE).  A freeware alternative is Kristal which AFAIK only runs on Windows.

If you can't play, I think Reaper can do the sort of piano-roll thing which I do in SONAR:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/xss.jpg

If you just want to try singing, I do have an instrumental mix of 'Princes of the Dreams' from way back which is still around.  You could load it into Audacity and record the vocals over it.

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/xssjpm2i.mp3 - instrumental version

http://dougtheeagle.com/ferret/ferret4.mp3  - album version

Tapewolf

If anyone's offering, it would be nice to have a different voice for the gazelle.  I might be able to use the vocoder to combine them or something equally weird :P

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church_p5.wav.mp3

We do need to sort out Biggs, or at least have someone provide all the lines from 713-718.  Frag has done 713-714, so unless anyone else wants to challenge him, I guess he gets it.  Any chance of getting 715-718 done for next week?

**EDIT**
Leave out the finger-snap by the way, I'll overdub that myself

Poofyspikes

I've got a tad of free time tonight, so I'll give Biggs 713-718 a shot and have it before I go to bed.

Tezkat

Uh... if you need someone to fill in for him, I posted 713-718 for Biggs back in October yet. :animesweat Here it is again.

I also fiddled around with some mild pitch shifting to try to take the heavier edge off my voice. Still undecided as to whether I like the result.

I recorded the rest of his lines for the church arc before Christmas. I basically went through all of the Biggs's and Jyrras's lines for 720-750 in a single session (maybe half a dozen takes each--a little over 40 minutes of recordings in total). They'll be up sometime soon now... whenever I have a few hours free to sort through all of it.

I probably won't make any new Biggs recordings until we sort out who's playing him, though, so hopefully that will tide us over until then.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 30, 2008, 05:44:55 PM
Uh... if you need someone to fill in for him, I posted 713-718 for Biggs back in October yet.

I must have missed that.  The stuff is categorized by the actor, not the character.
I could really do with the Jyrras stuff though, since I've got the Jyrras & Dan bit to do as well.

I don't suppose anyone has access to a CEDAR workstation to help tidy up Destania?  :3

Fragmaster01

Poofyspikes

And here's my take on the same lines. 713-715 and 716-718. I think there's more background noise than before - sorry about that, as I had to record in a different room.

pyrohamster

Im super excited about: Get Me To The Church.  Super excited face D:

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2008, 05:07:46 PM
We do need to sort out Biggs, or at least have someone provide all the lines from 713-718.  Frag has done 713-714, so unless anyone else wants to challenge him, I guess he gets it.

I might challenge.  I've managed to get a Biggs voice that doesn't make me wince like my Abel voice did, and I'm less likely to go, as Teekay said, "Bad monkey" now.  Also, I have a new microphone with 70% less suckfulness.

One reading of Destania-as-Biggs's first line from 873, and then an introspective of me trying to remember what I did for that voice :help

[edit]Biggs lines, starting at page 713 and going... about halfway through 714, I think.  I'll scrunch it all back together once I've got the whole thing done.[/edit]

[edit again] Poofy sounds bishie.[/edit]

llearch n'n'daCorna

heh. While I had my mic out and everything, I thought I'd give Biggs a try. Why? Why not?

And here they are. Do let me know if anyone thinks they might be useful. ;-]

Poofyspikes

Quote from: Volfram on February 02, 2008, 03:19:11 PM
[edit again] Poofy sounds bishie.[/edit]
Heh, yeah. I felt my normal speaking voice was too low for how I conceived Biggs sounded, so I made my voice a bit higher.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 02, 2008, 07:09:08 PM
heh. While I had my mic out and everything, I thought I'd give Biggs a try. Why? Why not?

And here they are. Do let me know if anyone thinks they might be useful. ;-]
Only if someone goes after his lucky charms.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Poofyspikes on February 02, 2008, 07:51:59 PM
Only if someone goes after his lucky charms.

Aye. On the other hand, tapewolf had me re-record in more or less my normal voice, and seemed a lot happier with that (I've -no- idea why)...

Fuyudenki

Wow, Bocks.  Your voice is about three octaves higher than what you sound like in my head when I read your posts/chats.

You've ruined my dreams!  D:

Good as that sounds(apparently, I like the sound of Scott/Irish accents), I don't think it'd fit unless Wildy has a matching accent.  I think that would require a new voice actress for her.

Poofy has a much smoother voice than I could ever pull off.  I seem to have a bit of a... grainier voice.

Fragmaster01

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 02, 2008, 08:01:00 PM
Aye. On the other hand, tapewolf had me re-record in more or less my normal voice, and seemed a lot happier with that (I've -no- idea why)...

Dunno about him, but to me, the first one seemed rather forced on the accent. Liked the second one better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Volfram on February 03, 2008, 02:23:04 AM
Wow, Bocks.  Your voice is about three octaves higher than what you sound like in my head when I read your posts/chats.

Hah. I'm sorry I wasn't born to be 6'7" and have about 6 testicles. :-P

Tapewolf

For people doing Biggs, I have a very definite idea of how the "Dispose of this ingrate" line should be read.  Sort of casually, as though it happens all the time, yet with the air of authority.  As though he's ordering a sandwich or something.

Here's a quick clip of my own:  http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/ingrate.wav.mp3

Fuyudenki

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 03, 2008, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: Volfram on February 03, 2008, 02:23:04 AM
Hah. I'm sorry I wasn't born to be 6'7" and have about 6 testicles. :-P
Mostly it's just because I associate authority with deep voices, and as you have(technically speaking) the most authority on the board, I naturally imagine you with the deepest voice around.  :spidey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Volfram on February 03, 2008, 03:06:38 PM
Mostly it's just because I associate authority with deep voices, and as you have(technically speaking) the most authority on the board, I naturally imagine you with the deepest voice around.  :spidey

Bwahahahahaha!

I don't have the most authority. That's Damaris. I just have access, because I get to poke around in the internals and fix broken things. However, "technically" is right - we roll two d10 each time anyone posts, and if it  comes up with snake eyes, we have a democratic vote as to what we do to that person that time.

Most times we get a null vote, because none of us can be bothered voting.

Tapewolf

Okay, as promised, there are two recordings of Church 6, one with Poofy and one with Fragmaster.  I haven't yet made one for Tezkat, but my impression was he did them as a standin rather than a serious attempt.  There was also another set of lines which I filed under Poofy by mistake, but I've lost track of who it is.  There was too much background noise to make it usable :(

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church_p6-fr.wav.mp3 - Fragmaster

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church_p6-po.wav.mp3 - Poofyspikes

I have an idea for scoring this, but I haven't done it yet.  There are one or two Alexsi parts which could be better played (e.g. she should really be screaming when Biggs calls her a bimbo) but I'm pretty pleased with it on the whole.

pyrohamster

why are there two bigs talking in poofyspikes recording? Am i taking acids again? :erk :mowdizzy