[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiettei

Yo. I'm a new guy!

You got a good Biggs San yet? I'm an egotistical idiot who didn't check his sources.
Please tell me!

...Or kill me. Either way is good.

Tapewolf

Biggs is undefined.  I seem to recall several people have been offered the role because I am incompetent at keeping track of people who haven't actually been recorded into an episode yet.
I hate to say this but I'm not entirely sure I trust people who just turn up - we have to had a high churn rate among those in the past, where people get bored with the forum and vanish etc :(

What I need to do is put together a spreadsheet.  The problems are I'm too lazy, and I don't know which format to use since I do not have Excel and probably won't until it's ported to Linux.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2007, 03:36:39 PM
Biggs is undefined.  I seem to recall several people have been offered the role because I am incompetent at keeping track of people who haven't actually been recorded into an episode yet.
I hate to say this but I'm not entirely sure I trust people who just turn up - we have to had a high churn rate among those in the past, where people get bored with the forum and vanish etc :(

What I need to do is put together a spreadsheet.  The problems are I'm too lazy, and I don't know which format to use since I do not have Excel and probably won't until it's ported to Linux.

Do you have some kind of word processor that will accept Rich-Text Files? it might just be easier to do a table.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 13, 2007, 03:47:10 PM
Do you have some kind of word processor that will accept Rich-Text Files? it might just be easier to do a table.

Yes, but it's not something I've tried.  What might be best is to do an HTML table - I could take James' as a starting point, which would save a lot of effort.  Of course I'll have to keep it up to date, unlike the character-strip table which is probably 2 years out of date by now  >:3

Tezkat

Quote from: Raiettei on December 13, 2007, 01:49:29 PM
Yo. I'm a new guy!

You got a good Biggs San yet? I'm an egotistical idiot who didn't check his sources.
Please tell me!

...Or kill me. Either way is good.

Egotistical idiot is good for Biggs. :mowtongue

We don't have an official Biggs yet. His original temporary VA (Mar Sera) disappeared. I provided a bit of church arc filler for him a while back, though I'm not sure if JP will use it since I was speaking a tad too quickly. :animesweat It was a fun voice to do, but I'm not sure my timbre works for Biggs. (Maybe shift it up a semitone to take off the deeper edge? Dunno. I usually hate pitch shifting. :B)

You're certainly welcome to try out. :mowcookie

I was actually planning to make time to record some Jyrras and maybe more Biggs for the church arc this weekend. (I'll probably only get around to recording 720-726. I'm not sure I'll have time to pull off the the emotional rollercoaster in 743-750.)

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on December 13, 2007, 03:50:59 PM
I was actually planning to make time to record some Jyrras and maybe more Biggs for the church arc this weekend. (I'll probably only get around to recording 720-726. I'm not sure I'll have time to pull off the the emotional rollercoaster in 743-750.)

Any chance you could squeeze in 666 as well?  Both the official one, and Taross' 'backwards' version?
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/gornski/Vol666-Backwards.jpg

Dannysaysnoo

I have two things to bring up.

1. I am still gonna be doing Xander, right?

2. I've noticed that sound programs seem to record whats going out of your speakers as well, so if you get a lot of backround noise, turn down the volume in the Windows Audio toolbar.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 14, 2007, 04:31:30 PM
1. I am still gonna be doing Xander, right?

If your voice is OK, yeah.  And if we can record it, but I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow.

QuoteI've noticed that sound programs seem to record whats going out of your speakers as well, so if you get a lot of backround noise, turn down the volume in the Windows Audio toolbar.

That's soundcard specific, and AFAIK gone from Vista since it might allow you to record sound from games or something :U  Sacrificed on the altar of DRM... but I digress.
The trick is to choose the right input.  IIRC each one has a tickbox below it or something and you should only be able to pick one.  Generally, one of these inputs is a virtual one containing the contents of the digital mixer bus - I think Creative did this first, it was called 'What U Hear'.  The Realtek onboard sound module does this too, which is how I did the sound on the Morrowind videos.

rabid_fox

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 13, 2007, 12:27:47 PM
E, I'll try and find that if I can.

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 13, 2007, 11:14:54 AM
Devin's mother. Recorded by my sister, so that the accents would match up.
That's good.  It goes into distortion at the end, but you'll need a limiter of some kind to sort that out which is asking a bit much :P

If you do get the chance is there any possibility of recording just that yell with the mic further away or the gain turned down or something?

Aye, I'm heading back to Ireland for the Christmas holidays (it's great being a teacher - you get holidays at all the right times). I'm sure I can tie her to a chair for a half-hour or so to get it down right.

Oh dear.

Fuyudenki

Teekay just got the lines to me.

673-674

She also sent 692-694 and 700-704, but my FTP site is holding them hostage, and I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'll get back to you.

Note: I have not listened to these yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on December 20, 2007, 03:18:16 PM
Teekay just got the lines to me.

She also sent 692-694 and 700-704, but my FTP site is holding them hostage, and I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'll get back to you.

Cool.   I might be able to grab some time tonight or tomorrow night to incorporate these, but if not it's going to have to wait for a week until I get back   :3

Tezkat

Just a quick note... I recorded Jyrras's lines for 663-666, 720-723, and 743-751 earlier this week. And yes, I did the joke 666 as well--complete with further funny outtakes. >:] I also did Biggs for 724-726 and 736-738. However, snow storms, unexpected car repairs :dface, and last minute Christmas shopping killed all my free time, so I haven't been able to go over it yet (to clean them up and submit the best takes--got nearly a gig of raw recordings to sort through). I don't plan to bring it with me to work on over the Christmas holidays, so... expect them shortly after New Year's.

:mowcookie

Mystiqe

Hey guys~

im sorry tapewolf D: but my computer has gotten the plague... so i dont think doing recordings right now would be wise untill i can reformat... and i need to save my things... <<

but anyway, if you have questions, contact me at mysticlights@hotmail.com k <3?

Poofyspikes

Since narration is more or less dead, I'm opening myself to odd jobs (No, not Oddjob. Are you saying all of us Koreans look alike?). Perhaps I can get to work on that spreadsheet that would make Tapewolf's life easier?

Tapewolf

I am home again, and ready to resume battle with my lovely Terratec soundcard that does not work.

Mystiqe, if you can let us know when you're ready again that would be cool.  And Poofy, the spreadsheet would be really, really useful.

Poofyspikes

M'kay. Before I get started, could you lay out the details? Is it just going to be a straight list of characters and people voicing them, or do you want additional bells and whistles?

Also, I recommend downloading OpenOffice.org if you're adamantly free-source, as the OpenOffice.org suite is compatible with Office 2003 documents (Office 2007 compatibility is still in the works, I think). I say this because I'll probably be making the spreadsheet in Excel.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Poofyspikes on December 30, 2007, 05:29:04 PM
M'kay. Before I get started, could you lay out the details? Is it just going to be a straight list of characters and people voicing them, or do you want additional bells and whistles?

What I had in mind was something like this:

Character           Actor                    Status

Daniel Ti'Fiona     James Starrunner         Current
Merlitz Meshiako    J P Morris/Tapewolf      Current
Aaryanna            -                        -
Aaryanna            Tigermoon                Retired
Aaryanna            Aaryanna                 Retired
Aaryanna            Qeniheru                 MIA
Albanion            -                        -

Here we have a few stock cases like Dan and Merlitz, but also the edge cases.
Albanion has no currently assigned actor (although we had a few hopefuls IIRC).  Unassigned characters should be marked with a dash, or 'N/A' or something.  I chose '-' because it's less typing.
Aary has no current actor, but has had several actors in the past, ideally there should be one for each entry.

If you can use James' page as a beginning, I'll sync it up later.
http://www.crystaltopia.com/DMFA%20Stuff.htm

QuoteAlso, I recommend downloading OpenOffice.org if you're adamantly free-source, as the OpenOffice.org suite is compatible with Office 2003 documents (Office 2007 compatibility is still in the works, I think). I say this because I'll probably be making the spreadsheet in Excel.

Yeah, I've got that on most of my machines.  I simply don't have Excel at all, and I dislike piracy.  If OO does throw a wobbly I can probably do a format conversion at work.

Poofyspikes

Looking at both James' and your sites as well as running through the archives, I've come up with a complete-as-I-can-get-it table that I've emailed to you. However, I highly suggest checking it yourself, as I haven't been here in over a year and don't know who's gone or not.

Tapewolf

Okay, I have made a couple of amendments, I'll try and go through it more fully later on.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/radiocast.ods
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/radiocast.xls

Dannysaysnoo

I call dibs on either one of the graveyard workers!

Though, how do we say Glev?

sabs

I'm not sure if you have an open Jyrras position, but - if I can - I'd like to try out for him. If I can.

If he's taken, of course, I'll just consent to listening to all of your fabulous recordings. :33

EDIT: Bahahahah, nevermind. I tried out a few Jy lines, and my quiet and still too feminine voice didn't fit him at all. I think I ruptured my spleen from laughing too hard. xD

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 31, 2007, 05:13:18 PM

I have no idea.  We may have to record that one a couple of times with different pronunciations.

Quote from: sabs on December 31, 2007, 11:06:37 PM
I'm not sure if you have an open Jyrras position, but - if I can - I'd like to try out for him. If I can.
If he's taken, of course, I'll just consent to listening to all of your fabulous recordings. :33

Tezkat's interpretation of Jyrras remains controversial, but I do intend to keep him.
Evidently we need to have the spreadsheet in a more immediate format...  >:3

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 01, 2008, 10:29:27 AM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 31, 2007, 05:13:18 PM

I have no idea.  We may have to record that one a couple of times with different pronunciations.

I seriously doubt it matters. He looks like a throwaway character rather than a cameo or mabslander, so whoever records it first gets to determine the pronunciation. :3

superluser

Quote from: Tezkat on January 02, 2008, 02:39:13 AMI seriously doubt it matters. He looks like a throwaway character rather than a cameo or mabslander, so whoever records it first gets to determine the pronunciation. :3

Since `sod' never took off in the States (at least as verb), I'm guessing working-class British Isles.  Cockney would be the cliché (Lewisham or Southwark, especially), but any working class British Isles accent would seem to fit.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Teekay Aria

Well, since Raist is apparently a bad monkey, I have gone forum.  I warn all ahead of time that I lack memory and thus will be horrible at keeping up.  But I'm always free to do voice acting on weekends, so just let me know what you want Tapewolf.  He was horrible at letting me know anyway.

Regards,

Teekay

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Poofyspikes

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 01, 2008, 10:29:27 AM
Evidently we need to have the spreadsheet in a more immediate format...  >:3
Glued to people's faces?

EDIT: Also, because I'm bored as hell, tossing my hat into the Biggs ring, and I'm doing the Nitemyste lines from Church. However, I'm redoing the accent because I listened to my old recordings and shuddered, so I'll resubmit the Nitemyste lines from Merlitz and the Human as well.

Before I do that, though, have we settled on a standard/preferred file uploading method yet?

llearch n'n'daCorna

for showing to folks: mp3 @ 128
for providing to tapewolf: wav

Find a webserver somewhere and upload. That's about it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

I'll also accept email at a pinch if uploading the recording is utterly impossible, but don't expect a timely response.  It also stands a good chance of being lost in the noise unless I'm expecting it.

Poofyspikes

My shot at Biggs.
Just an mp3 right now, because it's just a tryout. If it turns out that I get the part, I'll get a wav.

Redone Nightmyste lines - 52 and 60

New Nightmyste lines - 705-711

Actually, upon re-hearing most of my old stuff, I cringed. Anything you want me to re-record, Tapewolf?