[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabid_fox

I'd like to say that the lines for Devin's mother got recorded today. I'll get them uploaded later, for I'm on holiday right now.

Oh dear.

Dannysaysnoo

Hey, do we need any keyboard music? cause if i get my new mic, i should be able to get mp3's of music.

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 02, 2007, 04:34:25 PM
Hey, do we need any keyboard music? cause if i get my new mic, i should be able to get mp3's of music.

Unlikely.  Not impossible, but unlikely.  Apart from the Bach and the odd bits of Triton preset such as the DDR music and the computer game, I've been scoring the whole thing myself.  Besides, MP3s don't cut it for the score - at a minimum I'll use 16/44 but I prefer to run the score in from tape.

People may now recognise this one:  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0aWdHV8VtHM

Quote from: rabid_fox on November 01, 2007, 08:42:28 PM
I'd like to say that the lines for Devin's mother got recorded today. I'll get them uploaded later, for I'm on holiday right now.
Good to here.  If you can put it up when you can, that's all I can ask...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

How would you get it from tape, unless you already have it on tape? Do you mean cassette tape, or with-a-razor tape?

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 02, 2007, 04:54:47 PM
How would you get it from tape, unless you already have it on tape? Do you mean cassette tape, or with-a-razor tape?

Depends what I'm doing.  If it's something really complex that had to be recorded multitrack (like Destania vs Edward or 'Cubi Fight) or a piece I'm extremely fond of, I'll mix it to 2-track first and then bounce it back to the multitrack.
Even if it's relatively simple I'll do this if I need to use tape effects like suddenly interrupting the music (e.g. Warrior for Hire where the music is actually being re-cued, or when Dan says 'just silly stuff' in Disasters).
The intro in Disasters was done on one 8-track and mixed down onto the other.

Other times I'll sequence it live to a stereo pair on the multitrack, which I did for the orchestral version of What did Daniel think he was? heard when Dan and Alexsi have 'that talk'.  In Warrior for Hire, a good deal of the music came from the Songs for the Wild-at-Heart album.

Anyway, you're quite welcome to submit music, both here and in the art section.  No guarantees I'll use it, of course.

Dannysaysnoo

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 02, 2007, 06:12:18 PM
ok' ill still submit, but what are you doing next?

SAIA is the next full project, but I'm currently working on Church, and probably bits of Abel's story as well.  SAIA is pretty much already scored, but Church has nothing at all.  The first few versions of that are likely to have no music anyway unless it's a particularly dramatic moment anyway.

Dannysaysnoo

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 02, 2007, 06:45:19 PM
well, ok then, do you have the wardrobe montage?
Frankly, I had no intention of including the wardrobe montage.  It's too visual and to be perfectly honest, I didn't like it anyway...

Dannysaysnoo

ah, thanks for the clarity there, what about their journey through the tunnels to SAIA?

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 02, 2007, 06:48:34 PM
ah, thanks for the clarity there, what about their journey through the tunnels to SAIA?

Doesn't look like it's been done yet.   I'm not in linux on that machine right now so I can't check fully.  I think we had some voices missing from that segment so it may not have been completed.  Anyway, whatever happens scorewise it's got to dovetail on from the organ theme I use when in the Academy:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia4c.wav.mp3

That reminds me, I must try and wrangle the Fa'Lina voice out of Blade again.  Or choose someone else - which I don't really want to do if I can avoid it.

Fuyudenki

yeah, we seem to go through voices here like Hogwarts goes through Defense Against the Dark Arts proffs.

I sent the message to Teekay.  She seems kinda busy right now, so she'll get the lines back to me when she's got time.

Mystiqe

yar~

so i havent been able to get online for a while, because my router has been acting up and ive been without internet. anywho. what are some recordings i need to do tapewolf?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on November 03, 2007, 02:29:49 AM
so i havent been able to get online for a while, because my router has been acting up and ive been without internet. anywho. what are some recordings i need to do tapewolf?

420-423 would be nice, but I really need 697 and 698.

For SAIA we'll also need Nutmeg (the Warp-aci) saying "I miss yoo abew..."

**EDIT**

Someone is really eating up the bandwidth.  If it doesn't let up I'm going to have to shut the site down for a few weeks.

Dannysaysnoo

I'm listening to The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy radio series again. Great homework.

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 07, 2007, 03:49:08 PM
I'm listening to The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy radio series again. Great homework.

I wish I knew how they made the door sounds and stuff.  Probably on a CS-80 or something  :<

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 07, 2007, 03:59:42 PM
Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 07, 2007, 03:49:08 PM

I wish I knew how they made the door sounds and stuff.  Probably on a CS-80 or something  :<

have you tried asking the guy who did the audio things? i think his name is Paddy Kingsland.

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 07, 2007, 05:07:53 PM
have you tried asking the guy who did the audio things? i think his name is Paddy Kingsland.

I think that would require rather more courage than I possess.  It's probably just a lack of experience with analogue synthesis, anyway.

Dannysaysnoo

Sorry, i don't know anything about synthesis, i need to get one... also a decent computer.

Tapewolf

Does anyone want to sub Miaka for the Church arc while she's looking for her mic?  I'd rather not have to play Wildy,  Pyroduck AND Merbel...

Mystiqe

i could? but like, id need a place to upload my recordings, and again, what lines? xD

could i get them in a message?

thankyou~

-mysti

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2007, 01:59:51 PM
Does anyone want to sub Miaka for the Church arc while she's looking for her mic?  I'd rather not have to play Wildy,  Pyroduck AND Merbel...
* insanekaosx pokes his head in.

I'll be heading home from college this week for Thanksgiving such. Miaka will be seen, a microphone will be lent.

Like to point out I like how things are going, even if you did choose to not use me ;P Good job, folks, and keep it up!

If you need any random male lines, you know my voice, and how to find me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on November 19, 2007, 02:21:14 AM
i could? but like, id need a place to upload my recordings, and again, what lines? xD

I could really do with the first set, which is 677-683.  Other strips which I will need eventually but are less critical at the moment are 694, 700, 736 and 738.

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 19, 2007, 04:13:26 AM
I'll be heading home from college this week for Thanksgiving such. Miaka will be seen, a microphone will be lent.
Indeed.  Thanks for the help.

Mystiqe

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2007, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: Mystiqe on November 19, 2007, 02:21:14 AM

I could really do with the first set, which is 677-683.  Other strips which I will need eventually but are less critical at the moment are 694, 700, 736 and 738.

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 19, 2007, 04:13:26 AM
Indeed.  Thanks for the help.

thanks tapewolf <3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on November 21, 2007, 10:07:30 AM
thanks tapewolf <3

No problem.  I don't remember getting the Fi lines, either, so is there any chance you could look at that too?  Or remind me if you sent them and I lost/forgot...

insanekaosx

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on November 22, 2007, 01:46:31 AM
here are a few lines Miaka got done this evening-  http://www.box.net/shared/6pgtlgoa1o

I haven't played them back on my main system yet, but on the Mac they sounded good, if recorded at a rather low level.  Miaka is in fine form :P

bizun

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 07, 2007, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 07, 2007, 05:07:53 PM

I think that would require rather more courage than I possess.  It's probably just a lack of experience with analogue synthesis, anyway.

As for the synth sound, for starters, try something like SimSynth (http://www.sonicspot.com/simsynth2/simsynth2.html) -- quite decent thing. Or VST plugin emulating EMS VCS. (gets under window$ versions of Audacity)

By the way, some time ago i used to have "gunshow sound shop" archive, prepared for my friends' game... Never used... Most sampled sound are 8bit/16kHz, but one mght find something ineresting. Will share -- just when I recover from mainframe crash...

And here is always ol' gud Soundtracker and echo machine, for cascading arpeggios. I'll try to put something online (see above).

Great deal of a good job, with the DMFA radio show, by the way:)
Praise to the master, his wisdom and his glory
------------------------------------------------
The life of rose
is short
and has only painful things

HAYASHI Fumiko

Tapewolf

Quote from: bizun on November 23, 2007, 02:46:48 PM
As for the synth sound, for starters, try something like SimSynth (http://www.sonicspot.com/simsynth2/simsynth2.html) -- quite decent thing. Or VST plugin emulating EMS VCS. (gets under window$ versions of Audacity)

It might be interesting to look at the presets and see how they work, but I've pretty much got that in hardware.  The teleportation sound for instance is very much in the style of the VCS/3.
Pity it runs in Windows.

QuoteGreat deal of a good job, with the DMFA radio show, by the way:)Praise to the master, his wisdom and his glory

Thanks.

Now, here's a quick test clip from the Church arc.  My attempts to imitate Jack McSlay ended up sounding like Pete Postlethwaite in The Usual Suspects hence the thing at the end.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/church-t1.wav.mp3

insanekaosx

heheh, sounds good. Especially the bit at the end :P