[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

Quote from: Naldru on October 15, 2007, 09:16:29 PM
I don't know if you've seen Songs for the Wild-At-Heart.  I came across this by accident and thought the people here might find side 2 interesting.
Ya, can't say I'm really all that stunned since my name wound up in the credits for either drawings, voices, or just listening to the betas for every album so far. Good to know you enjoy his stuff though.

Naldru

I was googling for Tifiona to see if I could find any information on origins for the name in hopes that it would give me a clue as to what Amber was planning.  Search to see if there were any great mythic heroes by that name, that kind of thing.  I knew it was a long shot, but sometimes googling surprises you.  It surprised me this time.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on October 16, 2007, 06:18:40 AM
I was googling for Tifiona to see if I could find any information on origins for the name in hopes that it would give me a clue as to what Amber was planning.

Ah.  Well, remember that Dan isn't actually Amber's character - he was a player in Furcadia whom she was friendly with.  Apparently Ti'Fiona is an honorific meaning 'The Noble House of Fiona' or something like that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 16, 2007, 06:24:33 AM
Quote from: Naldru on October 16, 2007, 06:18:40 AM
I was googling for Tifiona to see if I could find any information on origins for the name in hopes that it would give me a clue as to what Amber was planning.

Ah.  Well, remember that Dan isn't actually Amber's character - he was a player in Furcadia whom she was friendly with.  Apparently Ti'Fiona is an honorific meaning 'The Noble House of Fiona' or something like that.

Something like that... Ti'Fiona = "of the House (of) Fiona"  :mowdan

(All you ever wanted to know about Furcadian Longmames...)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that John's character on Furcadia wasn't actually named Daniel Ti'Fiona. It was originally Dan Hikari, or something like that, and the surname Ti'Fiona was DMFA-specific. My search-fu has failed me on that one, so it's possible that I'm just imagining things. One of the old Furcadia regulars might be able to clear that up...

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Mystiqe

man i wanna do more recording! i kinda wish i got my rear in gear for those alexsi recordings D:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on October 22, 2007, 09:44:36 PM
man i wanna do more recording! i kinda wish i got my rear in gear for those alexsi recordings D:

To be honest I wasn't too taken with our other candidate for Fi.  We'll need to sort her out since Marin seems to have vanished into the mists and we don't have a full set of recordings for the SAIA arc.  Want to try the conversation with Merbel in 697?

Sunblink

Speaking of recordings...

MOAR NUTMEG

This thread needs moar Nutmeg.

Anyhoo, I did her sad line from #823 because the :< face was too cute to resist, and it's about time I did more recordings. Hope you guys like it. It's a small one so I can retake it if it's unsatisfactory.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Zedd

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 23, 2007, 04:34:03 PM
Speaking of recordings...

MOAR NUTMEG

Anyhoo, I did her sad line from #823 because the :< face was too cute to resist, and it's about time I did more recordings. Hope you guys like it. It's a small one so I can retake it if it's unsatisfactory.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
Awww...That was so cute

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 23, 2007, 04:34:03 PM

I like the performance.  The recording itself could be better though. 
It seems to be recorded at 16khz, but there is a bigger problem which I can't quite place, like it's been digitally compressed or something.  It didn't quite survive de-noising :(

What did you use to make it?  (what kind of microphone and which software...)

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 23, 2007, 05:31:20 PMI like the performance.  The recording itself could be better though. 
It seems to be recorded at 16khz, but there is a bigger problem which I can't quite place, like it's been digitally compressed or something.  It didn't quite survive de-noising :(

What did you use to make it?  (what kind of microphone and which software...)

Aww, poo. :< That's a shame.

About the microphone... I used my Logitech webcamera, which can double as a mic. The recording software was Audacity, but I STILL haven't gotten the use of, wtf. xD

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

QuoteAbout the microphone... I used my Logitech webcamera, which can double as a mic. The recording software was Audacity, but I STILL haven't gotten the use of, wtf. xD

Hmm.  I would strongly suspect that the webcam is crushing the audio itself before turning it over to the computer.  It is after all designed for chatting rather than audio quality.  Do you have access to another one?  A real mic, rather than a webcam?

Anyhow, to increase the sample rate for the recordings, go to Audacity's preferences menu and choose 'QUALITY' in the list.  You should be able to set the default sample rate which it uses for recordings.  44KHz is best since I usually use that rate for the audio work.

Fragmaster01

Btw, Tapewolf, I'm currently in the process of getting a real microphone(not the silly Microsoft USB Headset I was using), so I should be able to fix a lot of the records that were messed up from the silly bad quality/damping at high pitch.

Naldru

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on October 23, 2007, 08:26:43 PM
Btw, Tapewolf, I'm currently in the process of getting a real microphone(not the silly Microsoft USB Headset I was using), so I should be able to fix a lot of the records that were messed up from the silly bad quality/damping at high pitch.
A lot of the various sound programs have provisions for filters.  I've found that a low-pass filter with a cut-off frequency of around twelve to fifteen kilohertz does a real good job of getting rid of the squeal and doesn't impact voices too much.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Fragmaster01

Hmm, I'll try that, though I wasn't going to pass up the microphone offer: Sweetwater had a 100 dollar mic on clearance for 20 bucks + free shipping.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay guys, I've just gotten some news/update on the voice front.
My voice has been acting up recently, especially when I reach my higher range (F# to be specific...) and as of last night, my voice teacher doesn't want me singing until I get appropriately checked-out by a doctor.
"Why am I bringing this up here?" some may ask. Well, it's because until I get checked out and find out what's wrong, I'm thinking that doing the voice acting could be stupid as well, and on top of that, for all I know I might have a strange quality of voice at the moment which I'ld not normally have.

So, until then my friends.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on October 23, 2007, 09:27:52 PM
Hmm, I'll try that, though I wasn't going to pass up the microphone offer: Sweetwater had a 100 dollar mic on clearance for 20 bucks + free shipping.

Cool.  Which one was it?  Don't forget that if it's a condenser mic you'll need a 48v power supply to drive it.  You can probably get some cheap Behringer unit for the same kind of money, though.

I really, really prefer it if I get the raw recordings.  If I need to perform frequency correction I can do it myself, but undoing it is practically impossible.

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on October 24, 2007, 01:13:39 AM
until I get checked out and find out what's wrong, I'm thinking that doing the voice acting could be stupid as well, and on top of that, for all I know I might have a strange quality of voice at the moment which I'ld not normally have.
Yeah, that's for the best.  Keep us posted...

Naldru

How about this as a potential note to contributors.

If the squeal is completely removed with a low-pass filter with a cut-off of fifteen kilohertz, don't worry about the squeal and send it in raw to Tapewolf along with a note.

Fragmaster01

Naldru

For anyone using Audacity on Macintosh, I just wanted to give you a warning.  One of the versions of Audacity somehow reset the audio frequency (Look at the Audio MIDI Setup program in the Utilities folder to see where you can adjust it.)  to something like 96000 hertz.  This caused some applications to lose sound.  (I forget whether it was Quicktime or some other audio/video format.)  If a lot of web video clips suddenly have no sound, use the Audio MIDI Setup program to reset the frequency to 44.1 kHz.   The problem never repeated itself, but it took me a while to trace it and I just thought that I would give a warning.

Mystiqe

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 23, 2007, 04:31:07 AM
To be honest I wasn't too taken with our other candidate for Fi.  We'll need to sort her out since Marin seems to have vanished into the mists and we don't have a full set of recordings for the SAIA arc.  Want to try the conversation with Merbel in 697?

ooh! id love to!

Tezkat

Oooh, sticky. :kittycool

Quote from: Fragmaster01 on October 24, 2007, 12:54:20 PM
The fury: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST90mkII/
Yeh, I did need to grab the power supply, but it was cheap too.

Uh... that's a dynamic mic. It doesn't need phantom power. :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fragmaster01

o rly? Awesome. I just bought an interface that came with phantom power, so I'm still getting goodness from it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on October 26, 2007, 09:37:08 PM
ooh! id love to!

Great.  If possible, could you also look at doing the lines from 420-423?

Now, I've got a short batch of Abel lines from the Church arc, and the first set of Dan lines too.  I could probably put something together now, but it would be nice if we had the Wildy and Alexsi lines to match.  Otherwise I might have to do them myself  :U

Brunhidden

Glad to know im not the one holding the project up, but ill get right to that the next time its actually quiet.... would have had another recording session except some kids decided outside my front door is a good place to have 11:30 PM basketball tournaments
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 31, 2007, 01:54:34 AM
Glad to know im not the one holding the project up, but ill get right to that the next time its actually quiet.... would have had another recording session except some kids decided outside my front door is a good place to have 11:30 PM basketball tournaments

What's holding the thing up at the moment is that Audacity has gone and died on me.  I think I've managed to fix it - AFAIK it should now work as long as you don't click on Help->About (at which point it blows up).  Assuming none of the other functions are similarly impaired, I should be able to actually work on this again tonight.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 28, 2007, 04:59:59 PM
Quote from: Mystiqe on October 26, 2007, 09:37:08 PM
ooh! id love to!

Great.  If possible, could you also look at doing the lines from 420-423?

Now, I've got a short batch of Abel lines from the Church arc, and the first set of Dan lines too.  I could probably put something together now, but it would be nice if we had the Wildy and Alexsi lines to match.  Otherwise I might have to do them myself  :U

which 'Lexsi lines do you need?  I'll get the message to Teekay.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on October 31, 2007, 12:26:42 PM
which 'Lexsi lines do you need?  I'll get the message to Teekay.

676 to begin with, but 692-694 and 696 would also be very handy.

Dannysaysnoo

Are there any Extras lines needed? cause i want to do some voice acting without ruining others chances at being web-famous.

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 01, 2007, 07:15:00 PM
Are there any Extras lines needed? cause i want to do some voice acting without ruining others chances at being web-famous.
I'm not sure we have a Xander at the moment.  Unfortunately with things like that where there isn't enough material to construct an episode, I tend to lose track of who has the part, so we may already have a replacement for Oleg who played him before.

**EDIT**
I think we may need a replacement for Aary, but that's probably not what you had in mind  >:3

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2007, 07:23:11 PM
Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 01, 2007, 07:15:00 PM
I'm not sure we have a Xander at the moment.  Unfortunately with things like that where there isn't enough material to construct an episode, I tend to lose track of who has the part, so we may already have a replacement for Oleg who played him before.

**EDIT**
I think we may need a replacement for Aary, but that's probably not what you had in mind  >:3

oh HELL no! Xander would be alright, if i could remember who he was, my memory for character names is limited so far :3.
I actually meant people like that guy who wants to buy the paint covered clothes in the Mall section, but Xander would be bitching!

<<<EDIT>>>
My, in theory, better mic has gone walkies. RAAAGE! But i also remembered who Zander was so, JOOOOY!