[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on July 23, 2007, 07:59:14 AM
Hmm... that might be problematic. I'm pretty sure the timings on my new Edward stuff were rather different from the original; among other things, I adapted the delivery to play off an angry mob of Destania hunters (including several dozen background tracks of me yelling in various character voices, similar to what I did with the guard chorus). Do you have sample mix with BGM I could use to adjust/redo timings if needed?

I can provide one tonight, yeah.  If there's any way you can make the new version available in its current form, that would be much appreciated - I'm expecting to have to do some editing and possibly digital timestretching to get it to match.

QuoteI don't foresee getting around to that until August, though. How soon do you need them?

I'm hoping to go for the 2nd of August, which will be one month late.  I'm not sure I'm going to make that either, since I'm going to lose most of this weekend for a family thing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Blah, sorry for the inactivity, guys. I've been having a bit of difficulty with Nutmeg's evil laugh in page 792. Ultimately, I decided to tape it separately from the dialogue so that way I wouldn't screw it up.

http://rapidshare.com/files/44592866/Nutmeg_Recording_Page_3_-_1.mp3.html Page 792...

http://rapidshare.com/files/44592989/Nutmeg_Recording_Page_4_-_1.mp3.html And page 797.

I'll attempt the evil laugh later, and try the brown phoenix oracle in the future as well.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Okay.  The first one is going into clipping near the start.  The rest of it is okay, although the bit where she's making the announcement could do with her being more flustered, perhaps a bit more like the beginning where she sounds like she's panicking.

The page 3 one is awesome.  There's a few clicks and mouth noises but I should be able to remove those.

Tapewolf

Any joy with the phoenix, Keaton?

Looks like we've lost our Photophie  :<  Are there any budding actresses out there to fill the gap?  I need her lines for 309 and 310.

Mystiqe

okay, im SO sorry for not being around lately D: do i still have the part?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on July 27, 2007, 04:29:08 AM
okay, im SO sorry for not being around lately D: do i still have the part?

I'm sorry - I needed the recordings ASAP, and I thought you'd bailed after you didn't reply to the PMs...  An initial burst of activity followed by dropping out is something that has been known to happen fairly often with new recruits...  :<

Anyway, we do need someone to do Photophie, since Marin didn't record all the lines I need now and she does appear to have dropped out.  If you're up for it, I need 309 and 310.  I'll also need all her lines for the SAIA arc, but 309 and 310 are the top priority, i.e. they're holding up the current project until I can get them...

**EDIT*

I put the episodic version of the WFH videos up on YouTube:

Part 1:  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwl7gZV8I5Q
Part 2:  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPfiO_aAM0
Part 3:  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCtzYYGHdM

For some reason they aren't showing up in the search so far.
Anyway, back Monday...

Hellcat

Could I do Reginia? Or is someone already voice acting her?

Tapewolf

To be honest, I don't know and I'm just about to upgrade my main machine, which is likely to stall things further  :rolleyes

I have a feeling that we do have a candidate for Regina.  However, I am in desperate need for a Photophie, ASAP.  And Fi/other Warp-Acis, much as I'm gutted to have to replace Marin.
Previously, Marin did both Fi and Photophie - if Mystiqe is up for it, I might offer her the Fi role, since that is further along in the future.  I need the rat now  :B

Fuyudenki

shouldn't we find out what kind of character Regina is, before we try to apply a voice to her?  Unless my memory is off(which is quite possible), Regina has only had one appearance in the comic, and one spoken line to go with it.  Darth-Vader-esque lines with blood-stained hoof-hands aren't really much to go on.

Admittedly, based on her expression, I'd imagine a happy, enthusiastic voice tainted by just a pinch of madness.

Hellcat

Tapewolf

Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on July 31, 2007, 02:30:28 AM
I can do warp-aci Chi'ya
Good, 'cause Mystiqe has just provided the Photophie lines :P

Would you mind doing a test recording?
Here's Marin's best:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/warp_aci.wav.mp3

I can probably arrange a version with just her lines and before I added the echo, but that might take a while owing to computer issues.

techmaster-glitch

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 31, 2007, 10:21:39 PM
I've always assumed that Fi was male... :B
Well, it is an IT, so its up to debate.
On the official char page, it says nothing about sex, so its up to Tapewolf in this case.
Voice wise, it could sound better with a female voice, or maby a male voice, but we don't have any real proof as to the chars gender(though, does it even *have* one? - I don't think it does).

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on August 01, 2007, 12:34:41 AM
On the official char page, it says nothing about sex, so its up to Tapewolf in this case.
Voice wise, it could sound better with a female voice, or maby a male voice, but we don't have any real proof as to the chars gender(though, does it even *have* one? - I don't think it does).

They don't reproduce on this plane, so they are going to be genderless unless the owner specifically decides otherwise.  Personally I think Marin matched Fi perfectly, so from that point of view I'd prefer to have another female player for them.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 01, 2007, 04:15:23 AM

They don't reproduce on this plane, so they are going to be genderless unless the owner specifically decides otherwise.  Personally I think Marin matched Fi perfectly, so from that point of view I'd prefer to have another female player for them.
Which makes perfect sense. Also, you could even say that as Fa'lina summoned Fi, it could have gotten the female voice pattern from mimicking her - Or something like that.

However, your post brought up an interesting thought: Do we actually know *anything* about Warp-Aci reproduction, or is it all just speculation(i.e. we know people summon them, and they still around, so they must be reproducing somehow)?
I note that neither the Warp-Aci page nor Fi's page say nothing either way.
Off topic I know, but well, now I'm curious, and you are one of the most knowledgeable people about DMFA lore.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

However, your post brought up an interesting thought: Do we actually know *anything* about Warp-Aci reproduction, or is it all just speculation(i.e. we know people summon them, and they still around, so they must be reproducing somehow)?
No, we don't.  Well at least, I don't.  All we do know is that they are summoned from a plane which is completely different to Furrae (or ours).  They aren't even corporeal, so however they reproduce it's not going to be anything like mammals.
They might fission, or indeed they might not even reproduce at all, like how there is a static number of Fae in existence.

**EDIT**
Here's Hellcat's take on Fi:

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/fi1_hellcat.mp3

Frankly, it could do with a bit of work.
The first issue is that there seems to be a lot of room echo.  You might want to try the trick of recording the lines under a bedsheet or something like that - it should go a long way to making it sound less tinny.

The other problem is the voice itself, it comes across as rather penetrating.  That would work nicely for someone like Alexsi who is telling Dan off, but I had in mind something a bit softer-sounding for Fi.  Do you think you could try that?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It occurred to me, the TeamSpeak server I set up for the slackers on IRC might work ok for trial setups on voice acting.

Well... as a possibility, anyway - getting immediate feedback, sort of thing. Of course, that depends on who's around and who isn't at the times that people can get on there.

Either that or skype, you know how these things go...

Erm. Yeah. If Tapewolf is interested in giving it a go - or, indeed, anyone else, for that matter - drop me a line, and I'll post the info.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

TS (or Skype, or Vent, or even the new voice-enabled SL...) is excellent for coaching voice actors. Given that we don't really have a critical mass to keep a chat server going 24/7, though, that sort of thing might work better if we arranged a time in advance.

We do have a few time zones to cross though. What times are good for you all?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fuyudenki

I can foresee in the future a bunch of DMFA Radio voices hanging out on TeamSpeak yammering away as our respective characters.

I would be easily recongizable, at least, but completely incomprehensible.:D

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on August 01, 2007, 03:25:26 PM
TS (or Skype, or Vent, or even the new voice-enabled SL...) is excellent for coaching voice actors. Given that we don't really have a critical mass to keep a chat server going 24/7, though, that sort of thing might work better if we arranged a time in advance.
We do have a few time zones to cross though. What times are good for you all?
That would be practical for me around 7pm-11pm GMT.

Would you believe I don't have a microphone though?  The one I used before is kind of knackered, and the main one is in a different room.  I should be able to sort that out if this becomes necessary.
I'm hoping to have the PC booting Linux again as it was before by the end of the day, fingers crossed.  The Windows installation is a writeoff though, as I've lost the registry. I'll have to reinstall everything which used shared libraries or stuff in the registry, like SONAR.  Morrowind works though.
The Linux partition is far more important for the radio project though - my attempts to carry on using the laptop have so far been unsuccessful, and besides I'm more concerned about getting the other machine to boot again...

Quote from: Raist on August 01, 2007, 10:26:58 PM
I can foresee in the future a bunch of DMFA Radio voices hanging out on TeamSpeak yammering away as our respective characters.
I would be easily recongizable, at least, but completely incomprehensible.:D
We tried it last year, I think - mostly it was not Radio Project people using it.  It was fun, although I only had the courage to try it once :(

Mystiqe

for the radiocast talking on like Vent or something, ive got vent? and i could possibly get teamspeak.

i'd be super interested :)

Tapewolf

Teamspeak worked.  I have a vague feeling there's a limit on the number of connections, but it did work.  Whatever we spring for if we do this, it must be able to run on unix or I won't be on it.  Linux by preference, or failing that, MacOS.

When you say 'vent', do you mean 'ventrilo' or somerthing else?

**EDIT**
I got the main system online last night and should be able to resume work on the Recipe for Disasters Project this evening.  I'll still need to set up SONAR on windows for any additional scoring, but everything else seems to be good to go.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2007, 07:04:57 AM
Teamspeak worked.  I have a vague feeling there's a limit on the number of connections, but it did work.  Whatever we spring for if we do this, it must be able to run on unix or I won't be on it.  Linux by preference, or failing that, MacOS.

The limit is based on bandwidth - they say "a DSL link should be able to support 5-10 connections"

Given they don't say how -big- a DSL connection, that's like saying "how long is a piece of string" :-] However, in the use that the IRC chatters have put it to, it seems to use slightly less than 5Kb/s per connection. This means we can probably run somewhere between 40 and 75 people talking at once, without too much trouble, on my uplink. Assuming nobody else is using the link, which is, of course, erroneous to start with.

Granted there's a few assumptions in there, but I'd guess we can probably deal with 20-30 people before there starts being any serious issues. I -think- that should be enough. ;-]

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 03, 2007, 07:04:57 AM
When you say 'vent', do you mean 'ventrilo' or somerthing else?

If it's ventrilo, I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline to run that. I already have the IRC server, the TeamSpeak server, the webserver, the proxy server, the mailserver, and sundry other processes running on there - and it's only a little baby desktop. Adding another service isn't likely to push it over the edge, but it's not a debian-packaged app, so I'd have to monitor it myself for patches and security holes and the like. I -really- don't have the time for that, sadly.

Tezkat

Heh... I don't even have my mic set up for recording, yet, either. (Actually, I'm not even home yet, but I think I can probably steal a headset or something to run it off my laptop before then.)

Tapewolf's suggested times are early in the afternoon for a lot of North America, so we'd probably have to schedule a chat across the pond for a weekend.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 03, 2007, 08:18:02 AM
The limit is based on bandwidth - they say "a DSL link should be able to support 5-10 connections"

Given they don't say how -big- a DSL connection, that's like saying "how long is a piece of string" :-] However, in the use that the IRC chatters have put it to, it seems to use slightly less than 5Kb/s per connection. This means we can probably run somewhere between 40 and 75 people talking at once, without too much trouble, on my uplink. Assuming nobody else is using the link, which is, of course, erroneous to start with.

Granted there's a few assumptions in there, but I'd guess we can probably deal with 20-30 people before there starts being any serious issues. I -think- that should be enough. ;-]

Well, we can fiddle with bandwidth load by playing with the quality settings. For Radio Project work, we'd probably want a slightly higher quality encoding, but I don't think there will be enough of us on to saturate your pipe regardless. And it's something that the TS admin(s) can change with as we go anyway.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on August 03, 2007, 04:38:40 PM
And it's something that the TS admin(s) can change with as we go anyway.

Actually, anyone can set up a new channel. And once you've set up a channel, you can change the settings on it yourself.

So no need to require the presence of the illustrious server admin. ;-]

Although the default channel is set to about 4 from the top in terms of quality anyway...

Cogidubnus

This is the place to put such things, no? If not, it can be deleted.

Trying out for Aniz, pages 84-94. I tried to keep the pops and whatnot to a minimum. Really just auditioning, so I expect many many changes would need to follow anyway.

The mockery shall commence thusly: http://rapidshare.com/files/46997015/Cogidubnus3.rar.html

*Edit: Just for CameronCM: Cogidubnus3.rar

Edit 2: This one is rather better than the others. anizbestsofar.mp3

CameronCN

Dangit, people, stop using that horrible RapidShare for your file hosting! Go to www.hotlinkfiles.com and spare my sanity. They host anything for free, and they don't intrude their own website or advertising in at all. Oh, and they're actually fast. And they actually work on my browser. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 04, 2007, 05:34:13 PM
This is the place to put such things, no? If not, it can be deleted.

Trying out for Aniz, pages 84-94. I tried to keep the pops and whatnot to a minimum. Really just auditioning, so I expect many many changes would need to follow anyway.

You've got potential.  The recording comes over a little tinny, like there's too much high end and not enough bass, but that can probably be sorted out.

As I said, I'd like to use one of the Abel runners-up for Aniz, but we are going to need someone to do Xander, as Oleg's scots version was rather... improvised.

In other news, I've just discovered that the soundcard I've been using has been spewing high-frequency data all over the tracks I've recorded in Recipe For Disaster, so I'm going to have to re-transfer at least 6 minutes of dialogue from Alexsi and Mab, and check the other 14-odd minutes worth of recording.
Most of it was masked by the background music, but when you turn it off you hear just how bad it gets.
On top of all that, I've run out of tape and I can't repair Jack's new Pyroduck recording.  I'll have to split the episode across two reels which is annoying as there's only about 5 minutes left to go...

All in all, things could be better  :P

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2007, 04:58:31 AM

You've got potential.  The recording comes over a little tinny, like there's too much high end and not enough bass, but that can probably be sorted out.

As I said, I'd like to use one of the Abel runners-up for Aniz, but we are going to need someone to do Xander, as Oleg's scots version was rather... improvised.

Ah, well. If someone else has already got the spot, than alas.

Xander, though. Every time I see Xander I think 'Robin of Locksley', but I'm afraid to try a British accent, for fear that Tape will cross the Atlantic ocean and beat me senseless with a mixing machine. :3

Sunblink

Aha, I finally got the Phoenix down after days of procrastination and inopportunity (is that a real word? It isn't? Okay). It sucks, but regardless it's here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/48339209/Phoenix.mp3.html

I can redo this, if this clip doesn't suffice. I never really imagined a certain voice for the Phoenix Oracle but I ended up channeling too much Nutmeg, I think. :< I should've used my normal voice, like the one used for Cindy.

~Keaton the Black Jackal