[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insanekaosx

Quote from: RushFox on June 27, 2007, 02:41:18 PM

4. Why did InsaneKaos come back? Last I heard from him, he was just doing these on a whim. Actually I should be asking HIM that question. Is he positive he wants to do this and stick with it? I really don't know what he thinks of all this...

First, for your fingers sake, just Kaos works. second, yeah, I do want to do this. I really enjoyed voicing Abel, saying thigns I'd normally never utter *We've since discovered I do not in, in fact, look good in skirts*, and just being a part of somethign is always great. I won't be crushed if I'm not accepted and taken back in, it is a project for fun, and the other candidates aren't all that bad.

The problem was I got really busy at random intervals, and then disctracted, and then didn't have time. But I've got ways to work around that sorta thing now.

Tapewolf

Okay, today is exactly two years since Miaka came up with the idea of the DMFA Radio Project on this thread here.

Last year we celebrated it by releasing the first full-length episode.  Unfortunately, with the panic over AC and a couple of missing voices, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it.

But despair not.  For here is a video of 'Warrior for Hire'

Until I can get some mirrors or something sorted out, it can be found here.  This will likely have to change in future as I'm critically low on webspace.

The video is a 35MB rar file containing a single WMV file of the whole episode, with the artwork refurbished, all the speech bubbles painstakingly removed and synchronised with our soundtrack:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_wfh.rar

If you have mplayer it will play on Linux as well.

A bit of a cop-out I guess, but I'll get back to the Disasters arc as soon as I get back from AC.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 02, 2007, 05:12:50 PM
Okay, today is exactly two years since Miaka make up with the idea of the DMFA Radio Project on this thread here.

Last year we celebrated it by releasing the first full-length episode.  Unfortunately, with the panic over AC and a couple of missing voices, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it.

But despair not.  For here is a video of 'Warrior for Hire'

Until I can get some mirrors or something sorted out, it can be found here.  This will likely have to change in future as I'm critically low on webspace.

The video is a 35MB rar file containing a single WMV file of the whole episode, with the artwork refurbished, all the speech bubbles painstakingly removed and synchronised with our soundtrack:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_wfh.rar

If you have mplayer it will play on Linux as well.

A bit of a cop-out I guess, but I'll get back to the Disasters arc as soon as I get back from AC.

Nice! Very nice!

If you want, I can host a copy for you - I have plenty of space, and no hard bandwidth limits(Just server connection speed limits, which, I have never seen maxed out)

Just say the word!

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on July 03, 2007, 03:26:20 AM
Nice! Very nice!

If you want, I can host a copy for you - I have plenty of space, and no hard bandwidth limits(Just server connection speed limits, which, I have never seen maxed out)

Thanks.  If you wouldn't mind - in the meantime, llearch has kindly provided space for it too, along with the episodic versions.

http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire.wmv

http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_1.wmv
http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_2.wmv
http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_3.wmv

I seem to have missed in my original posting that this is mostly the work of Catherine Willington (who plays Mab) - it's kind of obvious from the credits, though.

I'll try and update the main page when I can, but I'm gonna have to disappear soon and I'm not sure when I'll next have 'net access, let alone of the kind required to edit the site.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 03, 2007, 11:28:55 AM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on July 03, 2007, 03:26:20 AM
Nice! Very nice!

Thanks.  If you wouldn't mind - in the meantime, llearch has kindly provided space for it too, along with the episodic versions.

http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire.wmv

http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_1.wmv
http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_2.wmv
http://llearch.net/dmfa/Warrior_For_Hire_Part_3.wmv

I seem to have missed in my original posting that this is mostly the work of Catherine Willington (who plays Mab) - it's kind of obvious from the credits, though.

I'll try and update the main page when I can, but I'm gonna have to disappear soon and I'm not sure when I'll next have 'net access, let alone of the kind required to edit the site.
In that case, http://robbiethe1st.ktserv.com/downloads/dmfa_wfh.rar

I am glad to be of help :D

Also, just to ease any concerns, you may direct link as much as you want. No worries there.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

May Rewanz

C'mon Tapewolf, give yourself some credit too.  You WERE the one that made all the images nice and clean afterall.  Now they look like pictures instead of just colored pixels.   :mowhappy

llearch n'n'daCorna

I spose I should probably actually watch the thing, now. Rather than just hosting it :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aisha deCabre

I just got finished watching the video, and I must agree that it's been very well-put together.  I laughed a few times during the whole thing (especially at the Lore part), as having the pics to go with it really gives the performance more depth.

Also kudos once again to all the talents who lended their voices to it, and who are lending their voices now. :3  Awesome work and happy anniversary to the Radio Project.

Also this is a good time to post a check-in that yeah, I'm still following this thing.  :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tezkat

Woooo... shineeeey video! :mowcookie

It's a nice format for presenting the Radio Project. The images looked like they could use a bit of sharpening, but maybe that's just the video compression blurring them. The whole thing makes me wonder if we couldn't take the next step and hack the images slightly to create minor animations in something like Flash. :B

P.S. AC peoples... don't forget to bug Amber for official pronunciations! :mowninja
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

rabid_fox

Holy crap. He finally got around to recording some Pyroduck. Lets see what you think. I quite like the voice...though it was recorded a 4.30am and as such, rather quietly because I didn't want to wake the housemate up.

http://rapidshare.com/files/41284225/itspyroduck.mp3.html

So it's rough, it's a draft, it's a thought, lets hear yours.

Oh dear.

rabid_fox

Har. Just watched the video. I was amused. It's also unexpectedly Hollywood.

Oh dear.

Tezkat

Quote from: rabid_fox on July 05, 2007, 11:49:39 PM

Holy crap. He finally got around to recording some Pyroduck. Lets see what you think. I quite like the voice...though it was recorded a 4.30am and as such, rather quietly because I didn't want to wake the housemate up.

http://rapidshare.com/files/41284225/itspyroduck.mp3.html

So it's rough, it's a draft, it's a thought, lets hear yours.

Hmm... I liked the delivery. The main problem is that your normal voice and accent are very distinctive. The changes you made for Pyroduck sound more like a different stylistic take on Devin than a whole new character.

In other news... the PC that I was using for recording took a trip to that big circuit board in the sky last night (looks like a dead motherboard, which--given its age--means I'll probably be gutting the box for parts rather than fixing it). It might be a while before I'm up set up again with a new recording system. Bummer...
:kittydepressed

rabid_fox

Mmm, true that. I am very rooted in my accent, alas. I may try it in a consciously different voice.

Oh dear.

rabid_fox

Just by and by, what do you think I could aim for to make it more...Duckie?

Oh dear.

Goatmon

I would suggest trying just about anything in your range.  I don't really know what to reccomend, though, given that I'm not familiar with what works and doesn't work with that sort of accent.  I will say this; the various clips you've submitted all kind of sound the same.  That isn't to say you have a bad voice, far from it, but your Pyroduck and Devin seem identicle to me.  Of course, I'm not terrible experienced in this sort of thing yet.

How's that poll going, btw?  I haven't seen it in a while.  Is it still a 3-4 way tie? 

llearch n'n'daCorna

we're waiting for everyone to get back from AC, I think. Then TW will sort it out.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on July 12, 2007, 07:27:00 AM
How's that poll going, btw?  I haven't seen it in a while.  Is it still a 3-4 way tie? 

Brunhidden seems to have got it.  I'm not honestly sure if the poll is still open or not - it doesn't seem to say - but I'm going to go for it on Saturday.

As for Pyroduck, Jack asked for a couple of weeks to decide whether he was still up for it.  Again, I'm going to look into it again on Saturday.  Reluctantly I must agree about Rabid's version - it sounds a bit too much like Devin.

Tapewolf

Raist, do you think you can ask Teekay to redo the Alexsi lines for 294?  They are well-read, but about 1/3 too fast.  I've spent an evening of frustration trying to compensate, but unfortunately I need them to fit within a certain time spot, preferably without too many gaps.

This is the file I'm working from...
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/disasters2_1.wav.mp3

I also have a scratch of the segment so far without Alexsi if that's any help:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/alexsilead.wav.mp3

They don't have to be dead-on, but the ones I have are far too short to slot in over the Cheyenne versions :(

Oh yeah, for anyone who's interested, I also need the lines for the dark-brown Oracle in 301.  And I'm going to have to check that I've got some up-to-date Edward lines, or else I might have to use ones from Tezkat that he'd prefer to see burned  >:3

Fuyudenki

I'll tell her next time I see her.  Shouldn't be longer than this coming Saturday.

I think she was asking me whether you wanted more lines from her, come to think of it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on July 16, 2007, 10:43:30 PM
I'll tell her next time I see her.  Shouldn't be longer than this coming Saturday.
Fine.  I'll work on the next segment.  That doesn't have such strict timing so I should be able to use the existing ones without modification.  Congratulations on the clarity of the recordings, by the way - I didn't have to use any noise reduction whatsoever.

QuoteI think she was asking me whether you wanted more lines from her, come to think of it.

Oh yes, absolutely.  I'll have to put together a list of lines.
At the moment I'm concentrating almost exclusively on 'Disasters', mind.  The ones from the SAIA arc would be handy though, and there's always 'Get Me To The Church' if she's bored :P

Fuyudenki

Oh, I think she'll enjoy dubbing "Get me to the church."  Part of the reason I recommended Teekay is that, as she says, "I can take 10 on intimidate checks."(Yes, we're DnD nerds.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on July 17, 2007, 11:07:11 AM
Oh, I think she'll enjoy dubbing "Get me to the church."  Part of the reason I recommended Teekay is that, as she says, "I can take 10 on intimidate checks."(Yes, we're DnD nerds.)

One point to note is that she also does Dan's lines when he's disguised as Alexsi.  James does his thoughts.

Fuyudenki

I'm talking to Teekay at this moment.  I think she's a bit busy right now, but this means I may be able to get the recordings back on Saturday, instead of dropping off the request.

Listening to the old recording, it occurs to me that part of the timing difference is that Teekay's rendition is snapping at Dan like a mother who just caught her son doing something wrong, while the original sounds more like she's whining to an older brother.

...it just occurs to me you might not have the original files...

Anyway, she said she can try adding some huffs to help add delay.  I'll get back to her with whatever you decide on.

[addendum]Teekay also wanted to know if she should give "Dan as Alexsi" a slightly different tone to his voice.[/addendum]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on July 18, 2007, 05:38:05 PM
I'm talking to Teekay at this moment.  I think she's a bit busy right now, but this means I may be able to get the recordings back on Saturday, instead of dropping off the request.

Listening to the old recording, it occurs to me that part of the timing difference is that Teekay's rendition is snapping at Dan like a mother who just caught her son doing something wrong, while the original sounds more like she's whining to an older brother.

...it just occurs to me you might not have the original files...

No, I've got them.  If you want them, they're actually still on James' site:
http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/Extras/Alexi.mp3

For the multitrack, I've still got that too - I duplicated the project so I could compare them.
It's a bit too big to put up for download though.

Yes, there's definitely a sense in the new lines that she's snapping at Dan.
It would be nice if the lines around 305 were more warm and sympathetic-sounding, although Alexsi seems to treat Dan like dirt for most of the strip anyway, so why change the  habit of a lifetime? :rolleyes

If Teekay is up to it, it might be nice to have a slower, more sympathetic take of 305-308 (I do prefer the timing of the old version) but if that's too much trouble I'll keep the ones I've got.

QuoteAnyway, she said she can try adding some huffs to help add delay.  I'll get back to her with whatever you decide on.

[addendum]Teekay also wanted to know if she should give "Dan as Alexsi" a slightly different tone to his voice.[/addendum]
I'd say not.  I'm assuming that Abel changed his vocal apparatus as well, since it totally fooled Jyrras, which Dan shouldn't have been able to do by himself.

Fuyudenki

Teekay asked me to go ahead and give you her E-mail address, so you don't have to wait for me to play middleman.  I'll send it to you in a PM after I post here.  Alternately, she's one of the people with access to the "admin" E-mail on my website.  You can find the address at the bottom of pretty much every page.

Anyway.

If you've still got the old source files, then I think a comprimise would do well.  If you can tell Teekay which lines you think are good, and which ones you think need to be a bit delayed, then she can record those, for, ideally, less work on both parts.  She's held off on recording lines for now, to see if you could do that, so pretty much any alterations you want should be fine.

As for how Alexsi acts towards Dan, she strikes me as taking on a surrogate mother role in Destania's absence, especially in 379, where she's actually holding a crying Dan in her lap.  Basically, the reason Alexsi is short with Dan so much of the comic is that he's doing what she doesn't want him to do for so much of the comic.  When he's hurt or in trouble, though, she puts on the "Mommy's here, it's all right" attitude.

I once commented to Teekay that she seems to have a "mother bear" personality, which is another, very large reason I recommended her for the part.  That's two of three, the last is unimportant right now.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 18, 2007, 06:43:41 PMI'd say not.  I'm assuming that Abel changed his vocal apparatus as well, since it totally fooled Jyrras, which Dan shouldn't have been able to do by himself.

How about using Dan's pattern of enunciation?  Not po-tay-to/po-tah-to, but POtato/poTAto?  In English dialects, the differences are few and slight enough that Jyrras probably *wouldn't* notice, or at least think that Alexsi is just having an off day.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jack McSlay

putting up the clips Tapewolf asked a while ago

http://jackmcslay.4shared.com/

hope ye likes
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on July 20, 2007, 03:01:28 PM
putting up the clips Tapewolf asked a while ago
http://jackmcslay.4shared.com/
hope ye likes

Thanks Jack, sorry for the delay in getting back on this.  There are some digital artifacts like it's been put through noise reduction or badly-compressed.  It's a bit lacking in treble as well which doesn't make it very legible.  I don't know what you did different this time... the earlier recordings were a lot better in this regard, but I can probably sort it out my end.  I'll keep you posted.

Status report  (Recipe for Disasters)

Session timecode: 15:22 (i.e. about 15 minutes of total recording, including gaps between segments)
Last completed strip: 304  (some minor voices still need overdubbing, Wildy in 292, sound effects for the battle)
Remaining strips: 15 approx (also need prologue, epilogue and credits)
Estimated time left: 5 minutes

Voices still outstanding

• Wildy's remark in 292
  • I still need the brown phoenix for 301.  Any takers?
  • I'd like to have Tezkat's updated version of Edward, if he doesn't return before the thing is finished, someone else might have to do it.  The Edward-Destania dialogue is now locked against a score so either way I'll need something with roughly the same durations as his original distorted version.
  • Aaryanna - 258, 259, which I'm going to edit into some kind of foreshadowing for the prologue

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 23, 2007, 06:09:29 AM
Voices still outstanding

• I'd like to have Tezkat's updated version of Edward, if he doesn't return before the thing is finished, someone else might have to do it.  The Edward-Destania dialogue is now locked against a score so either way I'll need something with roughly the same durations as his original distorted version.

Hmm... that might be problematic. I'm pretty sure the timings on my new Edward stuff were rather different from the original; among other things, I adapted the delivery to play off an angry mob of Destania hunters (including several dozen background tracks of me yelling in various character voices, similar to what I did with the guard chorus). Do you have sample mix with BGM I could use to adjust/redo timings if needed?

I haven't actually done anything with that PC since it turned into a paperweight a few weeks back. I've been out of town a lot, and I haven't made it a priority since the construction workers tearing up my street have been creating... uh... less than ideal conditions for recording/editing. :animesweat The data should be intact, but I haven't been making DVD backups of those works in progress, so I'll have to move the hard drives to a functioning machine (rebuilding a RAID array--fun! :B) and hunt down my Audition installation CD in order to access them. I don't foresee getting around to that until August, though. How soon do you need them?