[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insanekaosx

*pokes head in* is it too late? My microphone fell out from the helf it had been stashed on, and i just got the urge... I couldn't rememebr if i had done any Abel's Story, so I started that. the first 10 or so with older-abel plus a headdesk for that whump in there at that start a family part.

But if you've happily found another Abel, its cool, go with them by all means!

If you want them give a poke though <<

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on June 11, 2007, 02:18:45 PM
But if you've happily found another Abel, its cool, go with them by all means!

We're still looking.   I'd be happy to add your version to the vote if you're still up for it, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

insanekaosx

http://www.box.net/shared/s5zrixfbtd

take a looksee, i'll need to get aroudn to poking at the other possibilities later on

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on June 11, 2007, 02:27:37 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/s5zrixfbtd

take a looksee, i'll need to get aroudn to poking at the other possibilities later on

Yeah, you did the 'Goodbye Cindy' part although it had some popping problems, and most of the Devin conversations although again, it had a few recording glitches.  What would really be interesting would be your take on the Abel 70-80 series where he's having a breakdown.

I'll check your recording in a moment.  When I've got hold of RAR for the Mac :P

Kamunt

A-HAH! Revelation!! :mwaha If my microphone ends up being too damn bad to be usable, I can just record myself using my videocamera, then upload it all to my computer and just cut the video part. I don't have to have my computer running to record myself then, so there would be much less potential background noise... Mmmmm....*strokes his non-existant beard* this just might work. I'll hopefully have at least something uploaded by the end of the night, though, mic or cam or otherwise. :mowmeep

superluser

Quote from: Kamunt on June 11, 2007, 05:11:24 PMA-HAH! Revelation!! :mwaha If my microphone ends up being too damn bad to be usable, I can just record myself using my videocamera, then upload it all to my computer and just cut the video part.

Well, I'm not sure how good your videocamera mic is, but a standard VHS tape is effectively half-inch audiotape.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Caswin

Quote from: Caswin on June 04, 2007, 02:58:58 PM
*Took time to do "motive" monologue for the heck of it*
Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AM
Jack Nicholson indeed... :3 That voice actually sounds a little too dark for Aniz's character. I'd like to hear you try it for the shadow guy, though.
Yay, twisted compliments! (Where's the shadow guy first appear, again?)
Question: *Stands*
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on June 11, 2007, 05:13:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure how good your videocamera mic is, but a standard VHS tape is effectively half-inch audiotape.
Running at half the speed of cassette tape and about the same track width.  Frankly, it will probably suck.  But give it a go anyway and see what happens...

Sigh.  I was going to do another part of the Disasters arc tonight and use the new Alexsi voices, but I got sidetracked again.  James gave me the bits I needed to finish off a song I started writing two years ago, so blame him :P

Quote from: Caswin link=topic=2757.msg123684#msg1236Question: *Stands*
Uhhh...?

The shadow guy?  He appears in 68-70 (by file number, not page)

Kamunt

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2007, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: superluser on June 11, 2007, 05:13:53 PMWell, I'm not sure how good your videocamera mic is, but a standard VHS tape is effectively half-inch audiotape.
Running at half the speed of cassette tape and about the same track width.  Frankly, it will probably suck.  But give it a go anyway and see what happens...

No, not VHS, it's a Mini-DV video camera, i believe. Which is better, last time I checked, right?

Fuyudenki

bleh.  I was going to try to do all of Abel's lines for Life is Wonderful, and that started out OK9including a puking sound effect I'm actually quite proud of.  How often do you hear THAT?), but started to go downhill fast, and pretty soon, it wasn't even an accurate representation of what I can do.

Lesson learned: don't try more than about 5 strips at a time.

I'm gonna take another shot, this time in parts.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 11, 2007, 07:01:03 PMRunning at half the speed of cassette tape and about the same track width.  Frankly, it will probably suck.  But give it a go anyway and see what happens...

I thought the audio track on HiFi VHS spanned the width of the tape?  And if you set it to NTSC, it will record at 3/4 the speed of an audiocassette.

Anyways, Wikipedia says that MiniDV records at 48KHz in 16-bit stereo.  If the frequency response of your mic is good, forget about anything else.  Use that.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kamunt

Well, I've already failed uploading for tonight. Guess I'll just try again tomorrow or...something. I'll try the camera and see how crappily it do--if it really is that bad, then I will just settle on my current mic for now. Either way, I REALLY want to get a sample of myself up tomorrow. I'm getting annoyed with myself; I always do this kind of thing. :(

Tapewolf

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/disasters6.wav.mp3
I seem to be missing some Photophie lines.  I hope Marin is still okay for that role...

**EDIT**
The file appears to be glitched.  Back in a bit...

**EDIT EDIT**
Should be okay now.

Kamunt

Wow, I'm excited now. :boogie I've actually found a different microphone in our household, and it's pretty much infinitely better that my regular one, no question. I don't know if maybe it's because it's a USB microphone, or could it be because it actually looks and is built like (or at least looks to be built like) a real microphone?...or maybe both? I don't know, but I just did a little test with it now, and it literally blows the bejesus out of my old one. I've all but scrapped my old samples now since they're too awful of quality after comparing to this mic. No pops, no clicks, no clips, no problems.
:battleroyale *
We have a new winner and champieen at The Baka Center tonight, folks--The Konami/Logitech Microphooooo~oone! :eager :eager :mwaha :boogie        *ahem*       ....Anyways. (Virtual Insanity, whut?!) My little test run proved really successful, and there was no background noise hearable (English?) when I played it back. It sounded kind of bassed-up, but that could've probably would've been because I had it all up in mah grill when performing the test. Can't wake the other tenants in my suburban living adobe, especially when one is a very light sleeper who sleeps with a toddler in her bed in the room right next to mine, you know. I'm sure you'll understand. You all will get your fixes of my hawt voice** by the end of tomorrow night, and that's a promise from my heart and soul. All 3 of them.
Personal facts aside, though, I'm dead-serious this time. I'll have the humble adobe to myself for several hours during which I'll have a hopefully usable recording completed. Hopefully, with this new(?) mic of mine I've discovered, that won't take very long at all. If you end up not liking the way I read them or something, or just kind of how I personified Abel's character, ask me to do it again and I'll do it happily. Not only am I a "trained" actor,*** but I'm also just good at morphing my voice. :3 From hi-pitched gleams to death-metal screams, especially the latter.  People like my death metal scream.
/OFF-TOPIC

[however_you_make_text_smaller]
* I've always wanted an excuse to use an emoticon like this. Next up is the One-way ticket on the Handbasket Express to Hell. >)[/however_you_make_text_smaller]
[liltext]
** Subjective to the listener's ears and "preferences" and definitions of "hawt".[/liltext]
[mowsized_text]
*** Brigadoon, The Sound of Music,  and a one-act play.[/mowsized_text]

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's no way of making text smaller, Kamunt. The admins removed it, because we got tired of people writing in 1pt font, and asking nicely didn't stop it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

James StarRunner

Sigh.  I was going to do another part of the Disasters arc tonight and use the new Alexsi voices, but I got sidetracked again.  James gave me the bits I needed to finish off a song I started writing two years ago, so blame him :P
Heh heh... Well the Disasters part worked out well. Give me a heads up on the song too.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on June 13, 2007, 11:59:19 AM
Heh heh... Well the Disasters part worked out well. Give me a heads up on the song too.
Naturally.  I haven't had time to record any vocals yet and I'm not happy with the way the demo turned out in terms of mixing... instruments getting buried and stuff like that.  But in terms of writing I'm happy with it and I'll give you first dibs :P

Tezkat

Well... you get top marks for salesmanship, Kamunt. :mowcookie

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 12, 2007, 07:01:09 PM
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/disasters6.wav.mp3
I seem to be missing some Photophie lines.  I hope Marin is still okay for that role...

Heh... Chibi-Dan returns! :mowdan

Could just be me, but I think that Aary struck the wrong tone in 312. Based on her expressions in that strip, one would expect her to sound a lot more worried. With "Little wingies, where are you?" in particular, she looks like she's franticly searching for a lost pet or something, but she makes it sound more like a playful game of hide and seek.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on June 13, 2007, 01:44:22 PM
Heh... Chibi-Dan returns! :mowdan

Could just be me, but I think that Aary struck the wrong tone in 312. Based on her expressions in that strip, one would expect her to sound a lot more worried. With "Little wingies, where are you?" in particular, she looks like she's franticly searching for a lost pet or something, but she makes it sound more like a playful game of hide and seek.

I'm thinking of pitchshifting Dan slightly, but unfortunately Audacity goes down in flames if I try to do that.  And yes, perhaps she should be a bit more urgent about that.  Qeniheru isn't so good with anger to be honest, but spite she can do to a tee  :3
I'll ask her about it - I also want her lines from the conversation with Merlitz where she says she's gonna kill Dan.  They aren't strictly part of this arc but they'd make a great intro so we know what's going on.

Kamunt

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 13, 2007, 04:08:27 AMThere's no way of making text smaller, Kamunt. The admins removed it, because we got tired of people writing in 1pt font, and asking nicely didn't stop it.

Aw. :(

Quote from: Tezkat on June 13, 2007, 01:44:22 PMWell... you get top marks for salesmanship, Kamunt. :mowcookie

Heh.... You know, looking back at what I typed, I sounded really full of myself, didn't I? :mowsad I feel lame about that, that's totally not me. I'm sure I won't disappoint you all too much, but still, I was really marketing myself there. :rolleyes And that's definitely not what I am, a pompous fleabag. Though I am a fleabag. :mowhappy I desperately need to stop writing things so lately at night, LOL... The Satanic screaming/growling is pure truth, though, can't lie about that. /embarrassed EDIT 2: Not that I told outright lies in that post there, quite the contrary. I don't even really want to say that I exaggerated as much as I just kind of...spoke of myself with gloat(?). :mowdizzy Bweehee.
Recording in progress.? 'finished'.

EDIT sort of: How long do you want it the MP3? And one take, or more? Just wanna know real quick before I upload an overload of myself. (A whole lotta human, a whole lotta furre, a whole lotta Baka~...)
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2007, 01:49:37 PMI'm thinking of pitchshifting Dan slightly, but unfortunately Audacity goes down in flames if I try to do that.
Really, Audacity doesn't like it when you do that? :disbelief I did not know that, thank you for that information...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kamunt on June 13, 2007, 03:18:20 PM
EDIT sort of: How long do you want it the MP3? And one take, or more?
One take for now, since we don't know what you sound like.  Don't make it too long - just record one of the lines and we'll check it out.

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2007, 01:49:37 PMI'm thinking of pitchshifting Dan slightly, but unfortunately Audacity goes down in flames if I try to do that.
Really, Audacity doesn't like it when you do that? :disbelief I did not know that, thank you for that information...
It certainly doesn't for me, anyway.  It failed with an invalid opcode though, which might be a problem with the way I've compiled it.  I'll have to run it through GDB at some stage.
The problem started with the 1.3 series, 1.2 was okay.  I might install both alongside each other since I need 1.3 for it's multisegment support.

Kamunt

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2007, 06:09:37 PM
Quote from: Kamunt on June 13, 2007, 03:18:20 PMEDIT sort of: How long do you want it the MP3? And one take, or more?
One take for now, since we don't know what you sound like.  Don't make it too long - just record one of the lines and we'll check it out.

OopsOops.  Shortening it up now. EDIT:  Take 1, Take 2.  Because I'm never satisfied with anything I do. Ever. Ah! the joys of OCD. I should create a Webcomic about it. :rolleyes Though technically, I think Perfectionism and OCD are not directly correlated and thus should not be grouped together like how I did. Though regardless, I am both. >:3

rabid_fox

Tizzwozz, as the headmistress of my school has been known to say. I've really slipped off on what I was intending to do with this - be it listening and giving feedback or actually recording some jazz to put up. Wait. Not jazz. Too many augmented ninths...Ducky's not an augmented ninth sort of dragon. More...7/8 time.

Seriously though, having an awful time at work right now (put it this way. I've had 11 different timetables in 3 days and it's going to change again) so I just ain't got the hours in the day to spare. So I'm ducking out for a few weeks (no pun intended) but mark my words. I'll be back.

Oh dear.

insanekaosx

apologies for not getting more lines up, was busy yesterday then got wisdom teeth out today

should be up with the mental breakdown by end of the week

Goatmon

Howdy all.  Just letting you know I'm not dead.  My PC literally went up in smoke a few days ago when my power supply decided to die.  I have no idea what the full damage is, but I know I won't have reulary internet access for another week or more.  I'm currently typing this up from my therapist's computer room, and my next session here won't be for another two weeks.

When I do get back i'll see about recording more lines to give you guys something new to gnaw on. 

Fuyudenki

Hey Tapewolf, just out of curiousity, when are you planning on closing the Abel auditions, and putting up the poll?

Kamunt

Quote from: Raist on June 13, 2007, 10:51:21 PMHey Tapewolf, just out of curiousity, when are you planning on closing the Abel auditions, and putting up the poll?

Hehee. I really don't know how surprised I'll be if my audition is accepted or rejected. I wouldn't be overly surprised if I was rejected, since I know there's some good talent here. If anything, I hope it'll at least be a close battle in the poll, if and when it gets held. :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on June 13, 2007, 10:51:21 PMHey Tapewolf, just out of curiousity, when are you planning on closing the Abel auditions, and putting up the poll?

Yeah, I'd better stop floundering and do that soon.  If I leave it much longer it will close during AC, which will delay things yet further...

Quote from: Kamunt on June 14, 2007, 12:53:29 AM
Hehee. I really don't know how surprised I'll be if my audition is accepted or rejected. I wouldn't be overly surprised if I was rejected, since I know there's some good talent here. If anything, I hope it'll at least be a close battle in the poll, if and when it gets held. :)

I haven't heard it yet, because it's on some horrible streaming thing which kills WMP, and I'm not visiting FurAffinity at work   :U

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2007, 01:49:37 PM
I'm thinking of pitchshifting Dan slightly, but unfortunately Audacity goes down in flames if I try to do that.

Pitch shifting = teh evil! :dface

I was a big fan of pitch shifting when I started out. I think that was largely because I hated my normal voice and wanted to do anything to make my characters not sound like me. As I matured as a voice actor, however, I've come to the conclusion that there aren't many natural sounding pitch-shifted voices that don't sound significantly better if you just have the actors pitch their voices slightly higher or lower. But I think we've had this discussion before... :animesweat

For the Chibi-Dan voice in this strip specifically, I don't think pitch shifting will improve it any. The point (portraying Dan as a petulant child) was already made by James's acting.

Quote from: Kamunt on June 13, 2007, 06:53:18 PM
OopsOops.  Shortening it up now. EDIT:  Take 1, Take 2.  Because I'm never satisfied with anything I do. Ever. Ah! the joys of OCD. I should create a Webcomic about it. :rolleyes Though technically, I think Perfectionism and OCD are not directly correlated and thus should not be grouped together like how I did. Though regardless, I am both. >:3

I liked the voice. It has a light, youthful quality that I prefer for Abel.

The recording quality was pretty good. The noise was low and regular--easily removed. There was some light popping (mostly on H's), but nothing serious. In the future, it might also be a good idea to normalize files before posting them so that people don't have to fiddle with the volume before playback.

The delivery, however, was flat and overpronounced, which gave many parts an almost robotic feel (most obvious in the roommate line). Relax. Try to visualize a conversation partner instead of focusing on the mic or the lines.

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2007, 05:57:16 AM
Yeah, I'd better stop floundering and do that soon.  If I leave it much longer it will close during AC, which will delay things yet further...

Have we settled on an poll/audition format yet? :animesweat

Quote from: Tapewolf
I haven't heard it yet, because it's on some horrible streaming thing which kills WMP, and I'm not visiting FurAffinity at work   :U

Mirrored. That's his original multi-take version (renamed but unprocessed). There wasn't all that much difference between takes.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fuyudenki

yeah... once again, just to make sure you know, I'd like my final take of the DMFA strips to be the audition one, not the initial take.  That one sucked.  Ultimately, what I've been aiming for is something like the English voice for Edward Elric, from Fullmetal Alchemist.  I just didn't realize that until I watched the movie last night.(not bad, though it could have been better.)

I was kinda going on the assumption that the poll would be an actual forum poll.  Was this an incorrect assumption?