[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

*Took time to do "motive" monologue for the heck of it*
Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AM
Jack Nicholson indeed... :3 That voice actually sounds a little too dark for Aniz's character. I'd like to hear you try it for the shadow guy, though.
Yay, twisted compliments! (Where's the shadow guy first appear, again?)
Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AMI mentioned this last time, but that level of gravel really sounds like you're vocalizing without proper support. Your voice would have a much richer, more interesting sound if it wasn't constantly running out of air. Breathe deeply!
...huh.  Seems like I wasn't breathing a lot in general.  Thanks.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Fuyudenki

*evil laughter*  Haha!  Even now, I've got Teekay recording the 'Lexsi lines for 296-299.  I'll edit this post with the link once she gets them to me.

questions, comments, demands, whatever, I'll relay back to her.  She wasn't too keen on actually joining the forums.

Alexsi, lines for page 296.

First take, actually.  I had Audacity increase the volume a lot in post, but other than that, and clipping a long segment of silence off the tail end, that's as she recorded it.

rabid_fox

Ok. I've read all of Devin's lines. I want a new challenge. Any roles need filling?

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on June 04, 2007, 05:38:36 PM

Ok. I've read all of Devin's lines. I want a new challenge. Any roles need filling?
How about Rancid in 316?
Jack McSlay seems to have disappeared for a bit, so I'm going to have to ask him if he's still up for Pyroduck.  You might want to do his lines in 311, at least as a placeholder, or for the actual role if he's gone for good.

Tezkat, do you think you could run off Jyrras' lines for 316 and 311?

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 04, 2007, 05:34:17 PM
*evil laughter*  Haha!  Even now, I've got Teekay recording the 'Lexsi lines for 296-299.  I'll edit this post with the link once she gets them to me.

First take, actually.  I had Audacity increase the volume a lot in post, but other than that, and clipping a long segment of silence off the tail end, that's as she recorded it.

Ooh, nice.  I'll run it through the PC later to check for background noise etc, but so far I rather like what I hear.    Can we have 305-308, by any chance? :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fuyudenki

Ask, and you shall receive.

Comments and critiques will be relayed to the performer.  Even she commented "Do I always sound that boring?"

rabid_fox

Rancid - http://rapidshare.com/files/35369498/rancid.wav.html

Rapidly done without much quality control to get the lines delivered cause....I could see it going about four different ways.

Pyroduck. Now that would be fun. He's so...definitively reasonable.

Oh dear.

Fuyudenki

oh, that's Rancid.

I always imagine him with a "surfer dude" Bill-and-Ted voice.(yes, I'm aware these are not the same kind of voice.)

I think I would categorize try number 3 as the "gay zombie" style.(it's how the gay people around here talk, and he's a zombie.)

(DISCLAMIER!  No offense towards gay people, or people who are offended by gay people was intended.  If you are offended by my saying try #3 sounds like a gay zombie, then kindly go buy yourself a spine.)

I think #1, the "I've been dead for a long time" voice had the best voice, but a combination between 2 and 4 is how I'd imagine his inflections.  I especially liked the "woo, wiggly!" from #4.

Goatmon

Quote from: rabid_fox on June 05, 2007, 09:17:43 AM

Rancid - http://rapidshare.com/files/35369498/rancid.wav.html

Rapidly done without much quality control to get the lines delivered cause....I could see it going about four different ways.

Pyroduck. Now that would be fun. He's so...definitively reasonable.

Number 4 made me laugh out loud.  xD

rabid_fox

Heh, cheers. Gay zombie? Takes a lot more to offend me - I teach 19 year olds English, remember?

I may redo some of them and try out some Pyroduck lines tomorrow...if I don't get distracted by the ukelele, that is.

For the record, #4's probably my favourite. I was only going to do three and it just came to me so I tried it out and liked it.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

For Rancid, I prefer no2 (where is the hash key on the Mac???) for the voicing, but no.4 has the best 'woo! wiggly!' line, IMHO.

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 04, 2007, 07:44:50 PM
Comments and critiques will be relayed to the performer.  Even she commented "Do I always sound that boring?"

Good stuff again, although she should sound rather more vicious in the 'timing, Mab' line.  It looks like she's going to kill her, after all...

While we're on a roll here, may I request 289 and 297-299?  I think that covers most of them for the Disaster arc although I've probably forgotten some.

rabid_fox

Well, #2 and #4 can be spliced together, they're delivered fairly similarly. Yeah, I'm going to try Pyroduck tomorrow, did you get in touch with Wozzname Dunitbefore McNotaroundrightnow?

Oh dear.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: rabid_fox on June 05, 2007, 05:39:18 PM
Heh, cheers. Gay zombie? Takes a lot more to offend me - I teach 19 year olds English, remember?

I wasn't worried about offending you, I was worried about the random gay people who might be offended.  Here in America, you can offend some people by just breathing.(which is why I usually try to do that as much as possible.)

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 05, 2007, 06:40:05 PM
Good stuff again, although she should sound rather more vicious in the 'timing, Mab' line.  It looks like she's going to kill her, after all...

[image]

While we're on a roll here, may I request 289 and 297-299?  I think that covers most of them for the Disaster arc although I've probably forgotten some.

That's what I thought!  I didn't mention anything because Teekay doesn't really do the whole "I'm yelling at you because I'm angry" thing.  One of those cases where a calm voice can be far more frightening than a shouting one.  I'll relay it, though.

I'll see if I can catch her today.  If not, I'll send off an E-mail, but we probably won't see anything until this coming Sunday or Monday.

llearch n'n'daCorna

(where is the hash key on the Mac???)

On a US keyboard, shift-3. On a UK keyboard, alt-3. And vice versa for the pound...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 05, 2007, 07:07:13 PMThat's what I thought!  I didn't mention anything because Teekay doesn't really do the whole "I'm yelling at you because I'm angry" thing.  One of those cases where a calm voice can be far more frightening than a shouting one.

Alexsi doesn't strike me as that type.  Primarily because she runs a bar, and not all of the meathead patrons would understand that sort of subtlety.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fex

HOLY the voice off Xander is hawt I can just pounce him for that o.o *pounces* I just love the irish accent

Goatmon

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 04, 2007, 07:44:50 PM

The voice fits, for sure.  But it sounds more like she's reading the lines rather than saying them of her own accord.   All I can really reccomend is using a bit more emotion,and paying attention to how Alexi's lines should sound, based on her expression and the situation with each line.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 05, 2007, 10:33:19 PM
(where is the hash key on the Mac???)

On a US keyboard, shift-3. On a UK keyboard, alt-3. And vice versa for the pound...
Thanks.  The pound is marked on it, the hash is not for some esoteric reason.

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 05, 2007, 07:07:13 PM

That's what I thought!  I didn't mention anything because Teekay doesn't really do the whole "I'm yelling at you because I'm angry" thing.  One of those cases where a calm voice can be far more frightening than a shouting one.  I'll relay it, though.

It's not really shouting that she's doing by the looks, more seething rage.  Gritted teeth should work quite well.

rabid_fox

Quote from: Fex on June 06, 2007, 01:40:23 AM
HOLY the voice off Xander is hawt I can just pounce him for that o.o *pounces* I just love the irish accent

(Psst...Xander's read as Scottish)

Oh dear.

Kamunt

OK, I hate to ask, and I'm bound to get Sucker-punch'd! for asking anyways...but how exactly would I go about getting involved in this project? I checked the first page of the topic and this last one, as well as all 3(+?) of the Radio Project websites and couldn't really find much. I think I've got how to record my voice down and all (have ACID, will travel), but I just want to know in what ways I can lend my "talents" to this community effort. I'm already on summer break, so I've got plenty of time to do nothing and even more time to be productive with my life. :mowsmile God forbid. I have acting experience, a microphone, and I'm physically able to speak, at least, so I think I have the basic grounds covered. :3 No need for a quick response, I've got *yawn* all the time in Furrae...

Fuyudenki

well not all of us have all the time in Furrae to wait for you to get help, so I'll just jump in with the tip of the iceberg and wait for Tapewolf to give you more info.

As you can no-doubt tell, it's currently audition time for the part of Abel Rewanz.  How do you audition?  Easy: record some lines(the test lines are...somewhere back in the thread), and upload them.  We'll all listen to them, and pick apart your voice, tone, inflection, and overall performance.  If some of us don't think you sound "Abel"(totally not a pun!), we'll suggest alternate parts.

Though to be fair, at this point, I think almost anything's open for Abel, since I seem to still be in the running, and my rendition is almost a 180 from the original.

Fex

Quote from: rabid_fox on June 06, 2007, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Fex on June 06, 2007, 01:40:23 AM

(Psst...Xander's read as Scottish)

doesn't matter to me irish or scottish I love the accents

Tezkat

Bleh. Tezkat. Busy. :mowdizzy

I'll work on that stuff you need next week.

Quote from: Kamunt on June 08, 2007, 05:12:14 AM
OK, I hate to ask, and I'm bound to get Sucker-punch'd! for asking anyways...but how exactly would I go about getting involved in this project? I checked the first page of the topic and this last one, as well as all 3(+?) of the Radio Project websites and couldn't really find much. I think I've got how to record my voice down and all (have ACID, will travel), but I just want to know in what ways I can lend my "talents" to this community effort. I'm already on summer break, so I've got plenty of time to do nothing and even more time to be productive with my life. :mowsmile God forbid. I have acting experience, a microphone, and I'm physically able to speak, at least, so I think I have the basic grounds covered. :3 No need for a quick response, I've got *yawn* all the time in Furrae...

What's the third site? I know mine isn't up yet... :mowdizzy I'll probably get around to posting an updated cast and audition list eventually, but the one on James's site should give you a rough idea of which roles have been spoken for.

Off the top of my head, as far as male roles go, we're missing Abel, Aniz, and Kria's teacher for Abel's Story. We might need a new Xander as well. Other than Abel, we've only got bit parts available in the main DMFA.

Audition Lines (Abel):

The main audition lines for Abel are from strips 424-426. (And, before you ask, we've changed the line in 424 to read: "Plan B? Isn't that the one where you waste time eating muffins?") Everyone else in the running has posted those, so we'll be able to compare.

Depending on how you read 425, it might also be a good idea to to record another of the strips in which Abel gets pissed off (such as 509 or 648). Not only will they showcase your acting skills, but they're also technically demanding lines that will demonstrate how well you work with your mic's dynamic range and avoid clipping (i.e. overloading the system with too loud an input). Clipping is bad.

We also want to hear how well you handle emotional breakdown--Abel has a lot of those in his backstory. The sections where Devin dies or when Abel arrives back home are both excellent scenes to try.

By the way, even if you do have the free time to record dozens of strips in one go, the rest of us may not have the time to listen to them. We can usually identify problem areas with only a few strips worth of lines. Also, when you're running through lines and just reading off a page instead of acting, we can tell. :animesweat Thus, it's best to work on a handful of strips and practice the lines until you can wow us with your talent. If you're not sure how to read a given line, feel free to post more than one take.

Audition Lines (Others):

Most of the other roles only have a handful of strips worth of lines anyway. If you're interested, just read a few of them. :3

Technical Details:

Record in 44.1KHz mono. Keep an uncompressed copy around in case we need it, but please encode to MP3 (128kbps or higher) for posting auditions.

If you have a website, use that. Otherwise, use one of the free file sharing services or get in touch with one of us to host it for you. Box.net seems to be popular right now.

We will evaluate you on recording quality as well as acting. Popping, clipping, and/or noise can unfortunately render an otherwise excellent take unusable. However, these are usually things that we can teach you to work around. Don't try to remove noise yourself unless you really know what you're doing. There are some tips on recording techniques in the HOWTO posted on the first page.

Aside from that, good luck and have fun! :kittycool
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 08, 2007, 10:00:30 AM
well not all of us have all the time in Furrae to wait for you to get help, so I'll just jump in with the tip of the iceberg and wait for Tapewolf to give you more info.

Tezkat has done an admirable job.  But yeah, the basic idea is: record a short clip of yourself acting the lines for a strip or two (say 424-426 as Tezkat said) and post a link to them here.  Then we'll review it :P

Kamunt

OK, I've got that down...I've got some rough recordings done, but I'm having trouble being consistent in keeping down the pops on 'P's and 'T's, specifically the "Ti'Fiona?" line in #426, and I'm also not sure at dB level you want my voice to balance out at. Obviously, it sounds better when the mic picks up less of my voice, but then background fuzz becomes more of an issue because you have to turn up your speakers more to hear me better...but when the mic picks up more of my voice, I have a lot more pops and clicks and blech with my voice, but I'm easier to hear and the background noise is much less noticeable.

I guess...what I'm asking is, A) Should I upload a few rough samples of myself so you all can see what I'm talking about and if I'm making too big a deal of it or if I'm making not enough a deal?, B) Does my microphone just really suck, picking up 36~50 dB of nothing when just sitting there?, and C) ....Actually, that's about it; I guess there was only two. Huh.

But I ramble. A lot. If I didn't make sense somewhere, feel free to inform me in whatever manner you please.
:noobrape

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kamunt on June 09, 2007, 03:09:46 AM
OK, I've got that down...I've got some rough recordings done, but I'm having trouble being consistent in keeping down the pops on 'P's and 'T's, specifically the "Ti'Fiona?" line in #426, and I'm also not sure at dB level you want my voice to balance out at.

Are you talking directly into the mic?  Talking across it helps cut down the pops, otherwise you might need to build/buy a pop filter.

QuoteI guess...what I'm asking is, A) Should I upload a few rough samples of myself so you all can see what I'm talking about and if I'm making too big a deal of it or if I'm making not enough a deal?
Yeah, go ahead.

Kamunt

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 09, 2007, 05:46:58 AMAre you talking directly into the mic?  Talking across it helps cut down the pops, otherwise you might need to build/buy a pop filter.

Mmm...I know I've read somewhere around here how to build a pop filter, but I can't for the life of me seem to find where I read it.... :-\ Hate to make you hunt around more just for me... EDIT: Although, now that I think about, I actually think I have a friend with a better mic which he said he could let me borrow.... :U :eager EDIT +1: Not that I don't still want to know how to kill the pops. :3

Quote from: ME.I guess...what I'm asking is, A) Should I upload a few rough samples of myself so you all can see what I'm talking about and if I'm making too big a deal of it or if I'm making not enough a deal?

Yeah, go ahead.

Aw, damn it, now I'm all nervous and self-concious... :rolleyes Why didn't I just upload last night/really early this morning like I wanted to?. :<

Fuyudenki

Teekay got back to me and recorded the new takes before heading off to work.

Should be strips 289, 297-299 and here's the timing retake

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay people, just two more weeks of school (one week learning then one week exams) and then after prom and grad it will be summer, meaning that after those two weeks I'll be (practically) freee~!!! Ere-go, the recordings will finally have a chance to be done.
So, huzzah for that I guess.
See you all in two weeks! ^.^

rabid_fox

Expect Ducky sometime this week. Also, Devin's mother should be arriving in the post soon. That sounds like such an odd thing to say, but you know what I mean.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fuyudenki on June 10, 2007, 04:09:59 PM
Teekay got back to me and recorded the new takes before heading off to work.

Nice.  I'll see if I can integrate them tomorrow evening.