[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

Quote from: Tezkat on May 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PMObviously, you don't. By your logic, the more commonly accepted American pronunciation would shorten to "kya-bai", which sounds ridiculous. Don't assume that everyone in the world talks like you do. That's what's causing our pronunciation issues in the first place. :B
You're not even reading it like I said. I'm talking about how it's supposed to be pronounced, not lazy american pronunciation of everything.

Goatmon

hey now.  I may be lazy but I'm anything but poorly spoken. =P 

superluser

Quote from: Tezkat on May 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PMObviously, you don't. By your logic, the more commonly accepted American pronunciation would shorten to "kya-bai", which sounds ridiculous.

Well, speaking as an American, I think I can challenge the prevalence of that pronunciation.  You'll hear it (often but not always) for succubus, but not for incubus.

It may have something to do with the fact that the term was all over the news a few years back after Reebok decided to release a new Women's running shoe called...the Incubus.  I'm trying to find a clip, but I'll bet it was pronounced ``in-kyoo-bus,'' either because the news would have originated in England or because the word sounds scarier that way.

But perhaps we're belaboring the point.

Quote from: Tezkat on May 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PMThe key to reading that line well, in my opinion, is to come off as sheepish but not apologetic. Personally, I favour doing the opposite of what superluser suggested here: drawing out the first part ("Anyways Fa'Lina... there's some bad news coming... so don't get mad...") and then rushing the second half slightly so that you almost blurt it out in one go ("I'm going to need a new roommate. There. I said it. You're gonna get mad, aren't you? This is soooo not my fault!").

Personally, I prefer the reading that Goatmon and I (well, a slower version of mine) give to that line.  That's the way that I would say the line if I were called into the headmistress's office, but I'm a very different person from Abel, so there's that.

Quote from: Tezkat on May 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PMA lot of the delivery and intonation issues were fixed on RushFox's fourth try, but for some reason the recording quality on that take was much worse.

There's a fourth try?  Where?  I picked up the latest version from box.net, and that was the third try.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

RushFox

Okay, I guess I'm on the spot now, huh?

Heh.

Abel Recordings (Mostly Experiments and Stuff, includes Albanion and Nutmeg (!) takes as well...) http://www.box.net/shared/zl36nzt1am

Abel Recordings (Most of the material resides here, including the elusive 4th take  ;)) http://www.box.net/shared/afdgq42aee

Abel's Story Recordings (I did the WHOLE thing here, in one take. I have no life.  :))
http://www.box.net/shared/bkcshiih1l

I'm currently attempting to take a break, but I may once again redo 424-426 for better quality. I know I got it mostly right, so that's what counts...

And yes, I have a nasally voice, however being as I idolize Kao's version of the character, that may be the reason. However, I've been trying to stay within my natural range for recent takes, which seem to be working better for me.

Have at it!  :3

Tezkat- You must be talking about the noise again... Gob frabbit, I'm really starting to hate that. Is there ANYTHING I can do to reduce that? Anything?

superluser

Quote from: RushFox on May 27, 2007, 02:27:10 AMAnd yes, I have a nasally voice, however being as I idolize Kao's version of the character, that may be the reason. However, I've been trying to stay within my natural range for recent takes, which seem to be working better for me.

It's not just that it's nasal, but that it sounds almost like you're using head resonance (what you use for singing) instead of chest resonance (what you use for speaking).

For an explanation, check the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_registration
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5292163
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5043994

Again, it might be the mic.  If it is head resonance, I suspect that you might be trying too hard to get to that particular tone, and you're cutting off the lower part of your voice.  You should probably keep it somewhere around your normal voice (not in terms of pitch, but in terms of harmonics).

Moving on, the ``I'm going to need a new roommate'' was good in #4.  I still say it sounds like Abel is flirting with Fa'Lina (or at least getting off) on the ``cuter in skirts'' line.

The noise is a major issue.  Sometimes it's even louder than your voice.  What does your audio chain look like? (headset mic->???->box.net)

Edit: As to the speed of the ``I'm going to need a new roommate'' line, I appear to have John Huston and Michael Caine on my side:

Quote from: Michael CaineI'd been shooting for about two days and Huston said, "Cut! Michael," he said, "speak faster; he's an honest man." Because I was speaking slowly, it seemed as though I was trying to figure out what effect I was making. Huston's observation was spot on. Honest men speak fast because they don't need time to calculate.

Abel is clearly trying to figure out what effect he should be giving, so I've been reading it more slowly, calculatingly.  Also, you might want to check out the other excerpts from Caine's book on that site.  Particularly the anecdote about having one line.

Miaka

Miaka has found herself a new shiny microphone and will be able to get you the first Wildy recordings we've had in about a year.

Once I get my voice to stop failing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RushFox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 27, 2007, 05:14:17 PM
Quote from: Caswin
You can find my latest work at http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Caswin_Speech_Full.mp3

That is all. ;-]

Channeling Jack Nicholson a little bit there, Caswin?  ;)

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 27, 2007, 05:14:17 PM
Quote from: CaswinYou can find my latest work at http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Caswin_Speech_Full.mp3

Do you mean http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Caswin_Speech_full.mp3 ? (full, not Full)

As to the speech, it sort of sounds sort of like Aniz is on Valium, or maybe it's on 33 1/3 when it should be on 45.  Actually, the uhm, uh stuff sounds like something from the final track of Music for the Odd Occasion by Antediluvian Rocking Horse.

Fuyudenki

Ran a take on Unwilling and Abel at the Cubi Academy, pages 506-519.  One take, straight on through, not my best, but it's more material to get picked apart.

Plenty of crackles, pops, and puffs.  More care would be taken for an actual recording.

In other news, I have a friend with a fairly nice voice, and was wondering which female parts are still needed.  Personally, I'm thinking she'd make a good 'Lexsi, but I also realize someone else is holding that spot at the moment.

Also, Tapewolf, have you had a chance to look at the .wav version of my second AS70 attempt?  I think Audacity version 1.3.x might have been part of the problem, as I had an earlier run of DMFA pages 506+ turn out...funny..., and didn't have these problems before, so I went back to version 1.2.3.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on May 27, 2007, 06:44:47 PM
Do you mean http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Caswin_Speech_full.mp3 ? (full, not Full)

One of these days, I'm going to provide a link correctly. :-/

Sorry about that.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: RushFox on May 27, 2007, 02:27:10 AM
Tezkat- You must be talking about the noise again... Gob frabbit, I'm really starting to hate that. Is there ANYTHING I can do to reduce that? Anything?

Well, there are a few things you can look into...

You'll get an AC interference hum from something called a "ground loop" when there's more than one path to the electrical ground through a network of devices. To reduce the problem, take everything you need to record your lines (computer, monitor, speakers, etc.) and plug it into a single outlet strip which will then connect to a single grounded wall socket. Unplug all other electronic devices.

Make sure that your cables (audio cables, power cables, etc.) never cross each other and keep them away from other power sources. If they must cross, see that they cross at 90-degree angles to minimize crosstalk.

Beyond that, we're talking about spending money to upgrade your equipment, rewire your house, etc. :dface

Quote from: superluser on May 27, 2007, 04:07:15 AM
Edit: As to the speed of the ``I'm going to need a new roommate'' line, I appear to have John Huston and Michael Caine on my side:

Quote from: Michael CaineI'd been shooting for about two days and Huston said, "Cut! Michael," he said, "speak faster; he's an honest man." Because I was speaking slowly, it seemed as though I was trying to figure out what effect I was making. Huston's observation was spot on. Honest men speak fast because they don't need time to calculate.

Abel is clearly trying to figure out what effect he should be giving, so I've been reading it more slowly, calculatingly.  Also, you might want to check out the other excerpts from Caine's book on that site.  Particularly the anecdote about having one line.

For anyone interested, some nasty person with no respect for intellectual property laws posted the entire hour-long workshop version of that book on YouTube. It's even better straight from the man himself.
:mowcookie

Quote from: Caswin
You can find my latest work at http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Caswin_Speech_Full.mp3

Jack Nicholson indeed... :3 That voice actually sounds a little too dark for Aniz's character. I'd like to hear you try it for the shadow guy, though.

I mentioned this last time, but that level of gravel really sounds like you're vocalizing without proper support. Your voice would have a much richer, more interesting sound if it wasn't constantly running out of air. Breathe deeply!

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 27, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
Ran a take on Unwilling and Abel at the Cubi Academy, pages 506-519.  One take, straight on through, not my best, but it's more material to get picked apart.

Have you been sneaking into superluser's stash? :animesweat Speed issues aside, the acting on this take was quite entertaining.

In other news, I have a friend with a fairly nice voice, and was wondering which female parts are still needed.  Personally, I'm thinking she'd make a good 'Lexsi, but I also realize someone else is holding that spot at the moment.

Actually, we are sorta kinda looking for a new Alexsi. James's sister already recorded most of Alexsi's lines, but she's no longer available to voice the role.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AM
Have you been sneaking into superluser's stash? :animesweat Speed issues aside, the acting on this take was quite entertaining.

Listening to it again, I did read that a little too fast, didn't I?  I also have to remember to use my "shouting voice," which is a bit higher-pitched than my normal voice, and closer to how Abel sounds in my head.

Actually, we are sorta kinda looking for a new Alexsi. James's sister already recorded most of Alexsi's lines, but she's no longer available to voice the role.

Oh goody!  I'll mention that tomorrow, when I drop off the microphones I was going to give her.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on May 27, 2007, 06:44:47 PM
As to the speech, it sort of sounds sort of like Aniz is on Valium
I must confess, I agree with that 100%.  It sounds exactly like my dad's description of a colleague he knew at work years ago who took the stuff.

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 28, 2007, 11:58:21 AM
Listening to it again, I did read that a little too fast, didn't I?  I also have to remember to use my "shouting voice," which is a bit higher-pitched than my normal voice, and closer to how Abel sounds in my head.

It wasn't incredibly fast, although now that Tezkat mentions it there are the odd bits which sound a little rushed.  Overall, I really liked it.  The slightly-deranged Abel came across well.

Oh goody!  I'll mention that tomorrow, when I drop off the microphones I was going to give her.
Mystiqe has the same kind of voice as James' sister, which was nice.  Ideally Dan and Alexsi should have similar accents, after all.  She seems to have drifted off as well, though.  By all means try it.

As for AS70, I can't find it on the mac or the linux box.  Attempting to locate it on one of my USB sticks just now blew up the kernel and took the first version of this reply with it.  I'll see if I can re-download it.  It might be at work of course.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AMIt's even better straight from the man himself.
:mowcookie

I actually saw the Michael Caine bit before, and that's why I was googling for crumming.

Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AMJack Nicholson indeed... :3 That voice actually sounds a little too dark for Aniz's character. I'd like to hear you try it for the shadow guy, though.

Do try, Caswin!

Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AMHave you been sneaking into superluser's stash? :animesweat Speed issues aside, the acting on this take was quite entertaining.

HAY!  I RESEMBLE TH--Eh, no I don't.  It *was* fun, especially the ``Oh, this should be fun'' bit.

I'm going to try to get a new take either today or tomorrow.  I'm actually going to look into buying a stopwatch to practice lengthening.

(``use your indoor voice'' joke goes here)

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 28, 2007, 12:18:12 PM
As for AS70, I can't find it on the mac or the linux box.  Attempting to locate it on one of my USB sticks just now blew up the kernel and took the first version of this reply with it.  I'll see if I can re-download it.  It might be at work of course.

My mistake, I was talking about the .wav version of DMFA424.  I was tired last night.

If you don't remember where that is, I grabbed the link while I was off looking for it, here(strictly for insertion into the test file, since you've now got another sample of my "Abel voice")
[editx3]I type faster than I think today, it seems.

RushFox

Quote from: Tezkat on May 28, 2007, 11:15:17 AM
Quote from: RushFox on May 27, 2007, 02:27:10 AM

Well, there are a few things you can look into...

You'll get an AC interference hum from something called a "ground loop" when there's more than one path to the electrical ground through a network of devices. To reduce the problem, take everything you need to record your lines (computer, monitor, speakers, etc.) and plug it into a single outlet strip which will then connect to a single grounded wall socket. Unplug all other electronic devices.

Make sure that your cables (audio cables, power cables, etc.) never cross each other and keep them away from other power sources. If they must cross, see that they cross at 90-degree angles to minimize crosstalk.

Beyond that, we're talking about spending money to upgrade your equipment, rewire your house, etc. :dface

Hmm, it's bit difficult given the size of my room, at least terms of getting the cables away from power sources and not crossing them. But I'll try! I'm keeping the input at as low as it can go, since it cuts on the noise.

Anyways, I have a new recording of 424-426. It's been done to death, but I decided to approach it a little different. I think I've got most of the intonations right this time... I've also done a clip from the SAIA arc (Pg. 584-587 and 595-596) as well. This is all filed under Abel Recordings, which can be linked to from my post at the top of this page. Enjoy!

Edit: Geez, when did this topic go to sleep? Oh well, it gave me time to complete two new sets of fun with...
Abel #597-608 (in three small parts found in Abel Recordings (the first one)
Bigg's lines for "Get Me To The Church" arc. I had fun with this one.  ;)

Fuyudenki

OK, I got the microphone to my friend.  Any recommendations as to what strips would be good for her to read for a 'Lexsi audition?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 31, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
OK, I got the microphone to my friend.  Any recommendations as to what strips would be good for her to read for a 'Lexsi audition?

While the SAIA thing is still in a mess I'd like to do the Disasters arc.  So these would make a good test:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_296.php
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_289.php

Rushfox, the 424-426#4 recording.  I think the noise is RF noise from inside the computer, probably the hard disk although I'm not certain.  I recognise it though and it isn't your normal AC hum.
What you do about it... I don't know.  An external A/D converter like the USB Transit might help.  If you're using a long mic cable try to get one that's shielded.  Alternatively try recording them to minidisk or something and use an optical S/PDIF connector to transfer them to the computer.

It might be that you've got the gain turned way up and it's amplifying the induced noise inside the case.  If your card supports multiple recording sources, turn them all down one by one.  Try the CDROM audio level for one.

Quote from: Fuyudenki on May 28, 2007, 12:34:00 PM
My mistake, I was talking about the .wav version of DMFA424.  I was tired last night.

The voicing is nice but there are some very nasty digital artifacts in it.  Was this a direct .WAV recording or is it converted back from a low-band MP3?

RushFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 01, 2007, 07:51:07 AM
Rushfox, the 424-426#4 recording.  I think the noise is RF noise from inside the computer, probably the hard disk although I'm not certain.  I recognise it though and it isn't your normal AC hum.
What you do about it... I don't know.  An external A/D converter like the USB Transit might help.  If you're using a long mic cable try to get one that's shielded.  Alternatively try recording them to minidisk or something and use an optical S/PDIF connector to transfer them to the computer.

It might be that you've got the gain turned way up and it's amplifying the induced noise inside the case.  If your card supports multiple recording sources, turn them all down one by one.  Try the CDROM audio level for one.

Hmm, I think I know what you're getting at. I'm going to check if it is indeed my computer that's making the noise. If so, I could possibly find another one to work from. I do have an external hard-drive, with about 140 Gigs of space, that plugs in through a USB cable to any computer. I could possibly do the voice-work on another computer, I just hope said hard-drive will be compatible with it.

Buuut, you are going to have to explain what RF noise is. And what a A/D converter is...
This stuff is kinda new to me.  :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on June 01, 2007, 08:08:52 AM
Hmm, I think I know what you're getting at. I'm going to check if it is indeed my computer that's making the noise. If so, I could possibly find another one to work from. I do have an external hard-drive, with about 140 Gigs of space, that plugs in through a USB cable to any computer. I could possibly do the voice-work on another computer, I just hope said hard-drive will be compatible with it.
Buuut, you are going to have to explain what RF noise is. And what a A/D converter is...
This stuff is kinda new to me.  :B

If you've got a portable AM radio, bring it into the room with the computer and try adjusting the tuning with one hand while you're using the computer.  At some point you should find a frequency where you can hear the sounds changing as you move the mouse around or access files on the disk.  Basically, the computer emits radio waves as a normal part of its operation.  In an ideal world it would all be shielded, and having a metal case helps a lot but it isn't perfect.

Where it becomes a problem is that the microphone cable or even the audio circuits within the computer will tend to act as a receiver unless they are fully shielded.  Basically everything up to the point where the signal is converted from analogue into digital (the A/D converter) is susceptible.  Usually it comes in at a very low level, but if  you have one of the audio channels cranked up to maximum (say the CDROM, Aux or possibly some other input you're not using), it will tend to boost the interference noise up to audible levels.

One approach to work around this is to move the soundcard - and thence the converters - out of the computer.  The Transit is about the cheapest USB soundcard you can have:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

If you have access to another machine it would be well worth doing a test recording on that to see if we get the same problem.

RushFox

Yeah, I'll try that. I'll probably edit this post when I do have the recording, so watch this space!

Also, if this does work, I might be a little peeved. How salvagable would some of my previous recordings be? The files I have in "Abel Recordings" (except for the wardrobe montage and old 424-426 takes (up to Try #5) and "Abel's Story Recordings" on box.net are the most important to me right now. There is an easy link to my Public Box in my sig if you want to check.

Sorry again for the large quantity of recordings on my part. I really do have alot of time on my hands and I realize I'm making an unnecessary large workload for you by doing that. I still will be putting new recordings out, because this is fun as hell, but I realize you won't look at them all right away and I don't expect you to. Jeez, I'm starting to wonder how much space my files are actually taking up!

Edit: And done! It actually sounds pretty decent, but you tell me if there is any noise on your end. This can be found in Abel Recordings, which is where I'm putting all my new files in. I have to delete some junk from there, though...  ;)

Sunblink

Ah, got another Nutmeg recording ready. Not all that great, but I'm still happy with it in my own lil' way. XD

http://rapidshare.com/files/34659507/Nutmeg_Recording_-_4.mp3.html

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Goatmon

Eh it was okay.   The page itself wasn't all that funny to start with so that's just how it goes. 

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 01, 2007, 08:26:58 AM
One approach to work around this is to move the soundcard - and thence the converters - out of the computer.  The Transit is about the cheapest USB soundcard you can have:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

If you have access to another machine it would be well worth doing a test recording on that to see if we get the same problem.

You know... for that price, he could just buy a new mic with a built-in ADC. :animesweat Samson's cheap USB condensers, for instance, are becoming popular among AVAs.

Quote from: RushFox on June 01, 2007, 09:20:15 AM
Edit: And done! It actually sounds pretty decent, but you tell me if there is any noise on your end. This can be found in Abel Recordings, which is where I'm putting all my new files in. I have to delete some junk from there, though...  ;)

Whatever you did in "Rushfox Test Recording", do it again. That RF noise problem was gone, and there was only a little machine noise. The volume level was pretty good, too (although it did clip once or twice).

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on June 02, 2007, 09:21:28 AM
You know... for that price, he could just buy a new mic with a built-in ADC. :animesweat Samson's cheap USB condensers, for instance, are becoming popular among AVAs.

The last USB condenser mic I saw was more than 300 earth monies so it didn't occur to me to suggest that.  Also I dislike the idea on principle since USB will one day go the same way as ISA and the peripheral bus on the back of the ZX Spectrum.  A Microphone that can plug into something other than a present-day computer is a much better investment in the longer term, IMHO...

Now, I've been a little busy with a related project, but I've finally checked out Rushfox's latest, and yes, it's got none of the RF noise.  There is background hiss, but that should be trivial to filter out with Audacity.  The clipping is a problem though.

Here's Shadrok's take on Aniz, by the way:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/aniztake1.mp3

Keaton, I like the petulant voicing in your nutmeg-4 recording.  That's class.  Two problems with the recording itself - it's still got the overloading issue, and there's a microphone pop on 'Queen' and a smaller one on 'pulling'.  Remember, try to talk across the mic instead of directly into it.  Or try to obtain a pop filter.
As for the overloading, I don't know what your setup is, but it is possible to listen to the take via headphones while you're recording?  You can probably hear it go into overload as it's happening with a setup like that, which might help.  Just a thought.

Fuyudenki, did anything come of our potential Alexsi so far?  I'm looking to finish off the Disasters arc for next month and that is going to need various lines for her which we don't have.  If we're going with Mystiqe and she's still up for it, I might even be able to pass her off as Cheyene who was doing it before, but if we're going with someone who sounds completely different we're going to have to record the whole set.  (For reference that's 289, 296-299 and  303-308)

RushFox

Yes, it worked!!!

As for the clipping, the mic volume was WAY up, and I didn't check. Simply turn that down a few notches and I'm all set. I just want to know if my other recordings (mainly the ones in Abel Recordings and Abel's Story Recordings) can be salvaged in any way.

Also, have you checked out my Biggs recordings yet? Those are in DMFA General Recordings, where I'm putting any other voices I may do (can't be Abel all the time  ;) ). There are a few gaffs here and there on my part, but I just did those for fun. Check them out if you want!

Oh, and I'll try to do more recordings on the same computer the Test Recording was done on.
Anything new from me, in terms of Abel, I will add to Abel Recordings in my public box, so keep an eye on that. Cheers!  :)

P.S.: When I do the parts where there's screaming involved (the "CUBI ARE SHAPESHIFTERS, YOU MORON!" line, for example), there's clipping no matter how low I get the volume. Why?  :<

Edit: I have a new file uploaded at Box.net. This one's for 617-618. The volume is lower, for which I apologize, but you'll see why...

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on June 02, 2007, 11:07:36 AM
Also, have you checked out my Biggs recordings yet? Those are in DMFA General Recordings, where I'm putting any other voices I may do (can't be Abel all the time  ;) ). There are a few gaffs here and there on my part, but I just did those for fun. Check them out if you want!

The first Biggs recording was a little odd-sounding, like he had a blocked nose.d the RF noise.  It made a good test for the noise reduction system, and unhappily it didn't really work.  Tezkat seems to have access to better algorithms so I'd be interested to see if he can do a better job of removing it.

QuoteOh, and I'll try to do more recordings on the same computer the Test Recording was done on.  Anything new from me, in terms of Abel, I will add to Abel Recordings in my public box, so keep an eye on that. Cheers!  :)
It might help to repost the link every so often... it was a bit of a pain to find the right one.  In the end it was only because I managed to figure out how to get to an index of all your recording areas that I found the Biggs stuff...

QuoteP.S.: When I do the parts where there's screaming involved (the "CUBI ARE SHAPESHIFTERS, YOU MORON!" line, for example), there's clipping no matter how low I get the volume. Why?  :<

Well presumably there's still too much signal.  A compressor is handy for that kind of thing, but unless you can borrow one it's more expense  :B

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2007, 10:26:33 AM
Fuyudenki, did anything come of our potential Alexsi so far?  I'm looking to finish off the Disasters arc for next month and that is going to need various lines for her which we don't have.  If we're going with Mystiqe and she's still up for it, I might even be able to pass her off as Cheyene who was doing it before, but if we're going with someone who sounds completely different we're going to have to record the whole set.  (For reference that's 289, 296-299 and  303-308)

I went to the store she works at last night, and stayed until midnight playing Magic: The Gathering and Zombies 1-6(sans 4 and 6, because we didn't want to deal with zombie dogs, and forgot to put the university entrance into the city deck).

Anyway, here's the breakdown.

Teekay(my friend, and the potential Alexsi) has relatively limited access to her computer and use of the internet, since she's currently holding down two jobs trying to move out of her parents' house, and dating her boyfriend at the same time.  In short, I can contact her either in-person during the week at the game shop where we played Zombies, or on Sundays only over AIM, where I will be able to talk her through recordings of lines.  I dropped off the microphone a couple of days ago, and I think she's got it installed and ready by now if she's had time, but I can always go ask again today.

Tomorrow(Sunday), I'll try to catch her on AIM and talk her through the quick basics of recording, and then have her read the line for those strips.

The mic I use is, as I've mentioned before, a discarded Logitech USB headset that my mom gave up on when the headphones stopped working.  Actually, it's not that it doesn't work, just that it's perpetually on minimum volume.  As you can tell, the microphone part still works.  I think the headset itself was originally $30 or $50.

If I could get the money, I'd really like to get the Blue Ant X5 stereo Bluetooth headset, which includes a removable microphone piece.  My mom got one for Christmas last year, and apparently uses it only just enough that I can't legitimately beg it off of her, but not enough to really justify the $120 price tag.

RushFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2007, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: RushFox on June 02, 2007, 11:07:36 AM

The first Biggs recording was a little odd-sounding, like he had a blocked nose.d the RF noise.  It made a good test for the noise reduction system, and unhappily it didn't really work.  Tezkat seems to have access to better algorithms so I'd be interested to see if he can do a better job of removing it.

QuoteOh, and I'll try to do more recordings on the same computer the Test Recording was done on.  Anything new from me, in terms of Abel, I will add to Abel Recordings in my public box, so keep an eye on that. Cheers!  :)
It might help to repost the link every so often... it was a bit of a pain to find the right one.  In the end it was only because I managed to figure out how to get to an index of all your recording areas that I found the Biggs stuff...

QuoteP.S.: When I do the parts where there's screaming involved (the "CUBI ARE SHAPESHIFTERS, YOU MORON!" line, for example), there's clipping no matter how low I get the volume. Why?  :<

Well presumably there's still too much signal.  A compressor is handy for that kind of thing, but unless you can borrow one it's more expense  :B

Ah, the compressor complicates things, so I'll stick to other lines I guess. Anyways, did you like the performance? I think switching to a more natural voicing was a good idea on my part, because it's sounds less forced, to me at least.

As for Biggs, I do have problems with a stuffed up noise in the mornings, but it is usually remedied before I begin recording. I thought I'd give him a nasally voice, since Wildy's was similar. They are siblings after all...  ;)

Um, the link to my recordings is in my sig, man.  :giggle