[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 20, 2007, 08:45:26 AM
No, it's missing because Audacity included it as an external reference instead of merging it into the project which 1.3 is NOT supposed to do.  I've added a FLAC version of the soundtrack here:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/095d.flac

Audacity should be able to read that directly although you'll have to import it as an extra track.  If you decompress it to .wav format and put it in /mnt/spare/ you should be able to load it back in without editing the project.  You might be SOL if you're using Windows.

Heh... I use Audition for mixing anyways. :3 So here's #424-426 with Tezkat and BGM. (Minor changes made to the mix: slight compression to louden Fa'Lina's lines, bit of reverb on the door slam, pan centered dialog when the two aren't actually talking to each other, and a 50% cut in BGM volume during the conversations.)

QuoteYeah, it's better than anything else I've come across, though.  And as you say, background music hides the recording problems quite nicely  >:3
If you've got access to CEDAR, you may find a gig of WAV files suddenly heading your way  >:3

Heh... nope, sorry. I only have access to the DNR in Audition and Audacity. If I had to describe the differences between the two, I'd say that Audacity's was harsher but more aggressive. The algorithm tries to take out take out noise at the expense of keeping the signal pretty, so it gets rid of more noise but introduces those ugly artifacts. The new DNR in the 1.3 beta is significantly better than the old one, though. Sometimes it even does a slightly better job of electronics buzz than Audition's does.

Audition's DNR, on the other hand, tends to be gentler and preserves a lot more of the original signal. I put all my recordings through that as a first step even though there isn't all that much noise in my recording environment; I personally can't hear any resulting distortions. It does a good job of fan noise. In a very noisy clip, especially one with an input buzz that modulates slightly with the signal, it will tend to take out all of the noise during "silent" parts but merely reduce the level of noise over the signal (which makes it sound a bit like a noise-gated recording). When you're adding background tracks, however, I think that's the way to go, since the remaining noise is easier to drown out than weird DNR artifacts.

Quote from: RushFox on May 20, 2007, 08:52:02 AM
Quote from: Tezkat on May 20, 2007, 05:27:10 AM
The new takes are much better, but I'm afraid there are still a lot of popping and breath noises. Maybe try placing a finger or a pen between your mouth and the mic when you record. I don't know how well that trick will work with a headset, but it should still dissipate some of the air before hitting the mic.

It works, but my voice comes out really quiet, because of the blockage. I remember some of Kao's lines being real quiet (especially for Abel's Story), so it may not be a problem.

Here's an example...

http://rapidshare.com/files/32353203/Abel-_The_Wardrobe_Montage.wav

Well... that did take care of the popping. I think we were better off the other way, however. Most of the noise in your recordings is electronics buzz which isn't reduced by covering the mic, so these new recordings have a very low signal to noise ratio.

Do you maybe have a bandanna or something that you could wear over your mouth while using the headset?
:mowninja

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 20, 2007, 09:10:52 AM
Okay, so I tried out Cindy's voice today. I'm pretty much willing to redo this as many times as you guys like, so if it isn't the best I'll try at it again.

http://rapidshare.com/files/32356037/CindyRecording2.mp3

Oh, that's a very nice voice for Cindy. :mowcookie

Interestingly... none of the recording is actually clipping. Those overload-like distortions show up above -12dB or so. I'm not sure what the problem might be...

Noise reduction did a surprisingly good job on the fish tank, but it would still be a lot better if you found a way to reduce it at the source (recording under a blanket, moving the fish away, etc.).

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

RushFox

Quote from: Tezkat on May 20, 2007, 10:03:48 PM

Quote from: RushFox on May 20, 2007, 08:52:02 AM
Quote from: Tezkat on May 20, 2007, 05:27:10 AM
The new takes are much better, but I'm afraid there are still a lot of popping and breath noises. Maybe try placing a finger or a pen between your mouth and the mic when you record. I don't know how well that trick will work with a headset, but it should still dissipate some of the air before hitting the mic.

It works, but my voice comes out really quiet, because of the blockage. I remember some of Kao's lines being real quiet (especially for Abel's Story), so it may not be a problem.

Here's an example...

http://rapidshare.com/files/32353203/Abel-_The_Wardrobe_Montage.wav

Well... that did take care of the popping. I think we were better off the other way, however. Most of the noise in your recordings is electronics buzz which isn't reduced by covering the mic, so these new recordings have a very low signal to noise ratio.

Do you maybe have a bandanna or something that you could wear over your mouth while using the headset?
:mowninja

Eh? Electronics buzz? I wonder where it's coming from...

As for bandanas or face coverings, I suppose I could use a napkin, or something. All's I got for face coverings are heavy scarves and that will definitely block my voice.

I'm more worried about that buzz though.  :<

James StarRunner

I've found I had to turn the recording volume waaaaay down and speak quite loud and close to the mic to eliminate most of the background noise.

Tezkat

Quote from: RushFox on May 20, 2007, 10:57:03 PM
Eh? Electronics buzz? I wonder where it's coming from...

As for bandanas or face coverings, I suppose I could use a napkin, or something. All's I got for face coverings are heavy scarves and that will definitely block my voice.

I'm more worried about that buzz though.  :<

The buzz is probably your sound card's fault. It's a common problem, especially for motherboards using integrated sound. It could be caused by improperly grounded power supplies or crosstalk from other devices on the circuit. Beyond looking into that, however, there probably isn't a whole lot that you can do about it short of getting a new audio interface.

Fortunately, that kind of regular electronics noise is the sort of thing that DNR is optimized to remove. So... you worry about the popping, and we'll worry about the buzz. :3

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 20, 2007, 11:11:03 PM
I've found I had to turn the recording volume waaaaay down and speak quite loud and close to the mic to eliminate most of the background noise.

Yup. That can work, especially in cases where you can't otherwise remove the source of the noise. However, getting too close to the mic can introduce new problems (like popping and other breath sounds, as our headset users have discovered). Somewhere in there, there's usually a happy medium.

AnizInDisguise

Hey do you still need someone to play Abel?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on May 21, 2007, 08:06:34 AM
We're going to put it to a vote, so demo recordings are still welcome.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I knew there was something I was going to do over the weekend. Nuts.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 21, 2007, 08:23:13 AM
Quote from: AnizInDisguise on May 21, 2007, 08:06:34 AM
We're going to put it to a vote, so demo recordings are still welcome.

Okay, but what kind of voice do you want for him? I'd like to know beforehand just to know what kind of voice I should use.

RushFox

Since I'm getting the feeling I'm overdoing the whole voicing thing (I've already sent in about 5 or 6 files...), I decided to do one final big one and send it in to you guys. This covers the SAIA arc from the "placement testing" up to Mab's group in the tunnels.

This is probably the best I can do in terms of voicing, but I'm definitely getting more confident. See, since I'm such a shy little geek, I have a hard time projecting my voice sometimes. I've been doing WAY better at it since I've started, so that's a good thing in case I want to try out for other positions, if they are available.

I want alot of comments on this one, since this is what I've been going for in terms of my Abel voice. Anything else was just glorified practice. It's a little quiet for the first half, but it gets louder later on. Enjoy!  :3

http://rapidshare.com/files/32629168/Abel__518-519__523__At_End___524-542__BIG_.wav

Oh, and that thing at the end was the end of #523, since the cut and paste was acting weird when I tried to put it in the right area. And there is some blowing here, notably at the "Bwee-hee-hee-hee" part and Abel chasing the runaway Dan cart.  ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on May 21, 2007, 04:31:00 PM
Okay, but what kind of voice do you want for him? I'd like to know beforehand just to know what kind of voice I should use.

Well personally I like Khazan, Kaos and Goatmon - they sound fairly similar.  It doesn't really matter though - give it your own spin and we'll see what people think.

Quote from: RushFox on May 21, 2007, 05:55:22 PM
Since I'm getting the feeling I'm overdoing the whole voicing thing (I've already sent in about 5 or 6 files...), I decided to do one final big one and send it in to you guys. This covers the SAIA arc from the "placement testing" up to Mab's group in the tunnels.

I want alot of comments on this one, since this is what I've been going for in terms of my Abel voice. Anything else was just glorified practice. It's a little quiet for the first half, but it gets louder later on. Enjoy!  :3

I will listen to this tomorrow.  I might add that RapidShare is a problem when everyone is using it for dozens of files in a short burst.  Indeed, it is probably one of the main reasons I have lost or missed things since it will only allow one download an hour or something pathetic like that.

Sunblink

http://rapidshare.com/files/32648777/Cindy_Recording_3.mp3.html

I tried out Cindy again today. Just for fun, I did some of Regina's lines from the Wallpaper War as well. If you're interested I'll link.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Goatmon

Not bad at all! 

You sound good as Cindy. ^^

Edit/Update:

I just finished recording Abel from pages 506 through 517.  I started off doing it in a more casual voice, and again in a little higher voice, and I kinda liked how the higher version came out, so I went with that one.

http://www.box.net/shared/cgmvcomqsm

RushFox

Hey, nice job Goatmon! I see you also got the idea to do some of the SAIA arc. I do agree that the higher voice worked, at least for me... I'm still kinda jealous at how good you are with the mic, considering your work with Abel and the JACK project on their forums.

Keaton, that was an excellent Cindy, even though she doesn't have many lines!

As for me, um, well I can't possibly rate myself so I'll shut up now...  >:3

P.S. What's a good alternative to Rapidshare in terms of storing files? I've been hearing alot of complaints of limited downloading, which I really don't want to happen. Goatmon, how is that box.net thing you're using? Is there a limit on sizes of files or how many you can put in?

Goatmon

Thanks for the kind words, I try to have fun while I do it, as that usually yields the best results for me.  ^^

And I really don't know what the limits are for box.net.  So far it's been working just fine, though.  And I really do love the interface of it. ^^

llearch n'n'daCorna

llearch.net works fine for me.

Of course, owning the box might have something to do with that :-]

James StarRunner

I wish I had time to listen to all the files, but I listened to the 'Goodbye Cindy' file and I must say, you did a fine job there goatmon!

RushFox

Quote from: Goatmon on May 22, 2007, 10:14:07 AM
Thanks for the kind words, I try to have fun while I do it, as that usually yields the best results for me.  ^^

And I really don't know what the limits are for box.net.  So far it's been working just fine, though.  And I really do love the interface of it. ^^

Well, I've checked and they allow a 10MB file MAX (per upload) for uploading on their free account. My files can't go higher than that, which means I have to do alot of splitting up of my files, which may take awhile. For now, I'm just going to post my 2nd Try at 424-426 and the Wardrobe Montage. I'll try to get those bigger files sectioned so I can upload them as well.

I bet it'll work better once it's done, though...  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

You could always try compressing the wav files...

Sunblink

Heheh. To Goatmon and RushFox, thanks a lot for your input. :) Playing with this microphone is just so much fun. >:3 I wish Cindy had more lines, though, specifically ones which involve more emotion. D: I'll probably contribute to the Radio Project more, if you guys need a Regina. You guys have done a great job on your recordings as well--especially, respectively, Goatmon on his Goodbye Cindy monologue, and RushFox with the devastated Abel.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

RushFox

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 22, 2007, 11:04:24 AM
Heheh. To Goatmon and RushFox, thanks a lot for your input. :) Playing with this microphone is just so much fun. >:3 I wish Cindy had more lines, though, specifically ones which involve more emotion. D: I'll probably contribute to the Radio Project more, if you guys need a Regina. You guys have done a great job on your recordings as well--especially, respectively, Goatmon on his Goodbye Cindy monologue, and RushFox with the devastated Abel.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Hehe, you're welcome!  :3

As for Abel's Story, I kinda did the whole thing over as per Tapewolf's request. I think I nailed it this time! Uhhh, the file is super huge though, since I did everything for Pg. 25 to now. I've got WAYYYY too much time on my hands...

Oh, and I did the rest of the SAIA arc as well... Yeah, I have no life.   :)

These are BIG files, but they are worth it, I promise!

Here's the first one... http://rapidshare.com/files/32792207/Abel__545-608__BIGGER_.wav

Aaaand the other one...
http://rapidshare.com/files/32802501/Abel-_Abel_s_Story__WHOLE_.wav

Edit: I also re-did 424-426 again- http://public.box.net/xbustermetroid61291
This is also an easier place to get files from my other ventures, such as the first half of SAIA and the Wardrobe Montage, if you're interested. There's no Abel's Story or the second half of SAIA here though... Enjoy!

AnizInDisguise

Okay, just one more thing I want to know. Exactely how long do you want this recording to be? I'm making a fairly short one right now (only from when Dan first meets him to the end of the wardrobe montage), but I'm not sure its long enough.

Tapewolf

Downloading some of Rushfox' stuff has completely stuffed Rapidshare so that I have to wait 100 minutes to download any more.
Not to be callous, but you've still got a lot of popping and bumping problems as well as some weird interference-like sounds.  I may be able to correct some of these, but it would be nice if I didn't have to  >:3

Goatmon's stuff is good again, although it's got the odd bumping and mechanical noise in the background.  What are you using for a microphone, out of interest?
One criticism on the reading itself - apart from the odd slip we generally say "Kyoobye" not "Koobye".
What I was going to do with the history lesson was cross-fade them into each other as was done in the earlier mixes:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/trapped_in_saia.wav.mp3
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/trapped_in_saia2.mp3

Keaton, again that's a good voicing but it's still going into distortion.  Do you want to try turning the level down and see if it stops doing that?  By the way, I don't think we've got us a Nutmeg yet  >:3

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on May 22, 2007, 04:56:44 PM
Okay, just one more thing I want to know. Exactely how long do you want this recording to be? I'm making a fairly short one right now (only from when Dan first meets him to the end of the wardrobe montage), but I'm not sure its long enough.

Yeah, that would be fine.  A short recording is okay to begin with as it is enough to give us some idea of what you sound like.

AnizInDisguise

Okay, I'll upload it in just a bit. And just so you know there's a little bit of background noise, but not too much. I just kinda had to rush this. Exams for me this week, and I have to study, and then go somewhere with my family. Busy day, but I wanted to just get this done and out of the way.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2007, 05:23:59 PM
Keaton, again that's a good voicing but it's still going into distortion.  Do you want to try turning the level down and see if it stops doing that?  By the way, I don't think we've got us a Nutmeg yet  >:3

Still? Ah, dang. Cursed inexperience! D: Still, I'll fool around with the leveling and see what comes up. I tried lowering the output level, maybe I need to drop it down a bit more? Once more, sorry if I'm being irritating. I'm a newbie at this.

And Nutmeg would be AWESOME to voice! I'll get a clip ready and edit this post once I'm finished with it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

EDIT: I have three clips ready, of varying tones and distances from me between the microphone.

http://rapidshare.com/files/32825784/Nutmeg_Recording_-_3.mp3.html First one

http://rapidshare.com/files/32826057/Nutmeg_Recording_-_1.mp3.html Second one

http://rapidshare.com/files/32826242/Nutmeg_Recording_-_2.mp3.html Third and final.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 22, 2007, 06:53:42 PM
Are you sure about those sequences, Keaton?

Tape, they can all be found here:

Thanks - it actually let me download them all in one go.  Talk about temperamental.  My guess it it's the volume of data rather than the number of files which it's limited on - that would also explain why sometimes it's "you must wait 5 minutes" but it was "you must wait 96 minutes" after downloading one of Rushfox' really big files.

Anyway, with the limited equipment to hand, I'd say '3' is the cleanest.  '1' isn't bad either, but all of them distort when she says "hello!" at the end.  '2' distorts when she says "how did you know?" but is otherwise pretty clean.

Do you think you could make her sound a bit more spaced out?  She seems a little bit too sensible.
By the way, we're stuck for Nirfy as well.  No-one has managed to do a convincing excited scream of 'Bishonen!' - it's like Dan is the most beautiful thing she's ever seen in her life and she has to have him at any cost.  This seems to be extremely difficult for people to do...

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2007, 07:48:43 PM
Thanks - it actually let me download them all in one go.  Talk about temperamental.  My guess it it's the volume of data rather than the number of files which it's limited on - that would also explain why sometimes it's "you must wait 5 minutes" but it was "you must wait 96 minutes" after downloading one of Rushfox' really big files.

Anyway, with the limited equipment to hand, I'd say '3' is the cleanest.  '1' isn't bad either, but all of them distort when she says "hello!" at the end.  '2' distorts when she says "how did you know?" but is otherwise pretty clean.

Do you think you could make her sound a bit more spaced out?  She seems a little bit too sensible.
By the way, we're stuck for Nirfy as well.  No-one has managed to do a convincing excited scream of 'Bishonen!' - it's like Dan is the most beautiful thing she's ever seen in her life and she has to have him at any cost.  This seems to be extremely difficult for people to do...

Hm. As an explanation for the distortion around the "hello!" it's because of the microphone once more. It cracks whenever I drastically change the pitch of my voice. As for 'spaced-out,' do you mean in sort of a cloud-gazing, entranced, distant state? I had been imagining her as a young, spoiled child for some reason, mostly because of her diminutive stature.

I'll see if I can go through Nirfy's few lines tonight. Prepare to be bombarded with "Bishonen!"s.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tezkat

Oooh, lots of new clips to listen to... :mowdizzy

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on May 22, 2007, 04:56:44 PM

We don't have any official audition protocols yet, but the following guidelines should serve...

1. Read the HOWTO for some basic recording guidelines.

2. Record yourself reading Abel's lines for DMFA #424 through 426. Presumably, that's the clip that will show up in final poll, since everyone is doing it, and it includes a fair range of emotions.

We also recommend Abel's Story Page 72 through 78, since much of Abel's Story requires his VA to convey a believable emotional breakdown. Feel free to add any other strips to the audition if you feel they will showcase your talents. Strips from "Unwilling and Abel" feature a lot of the tough, sarcastic Abel. Strips from "Life is Wonderful" display his goofy, sensitive side. Strips from "Abel's Story" portray him at his most vulnerable.

3. Upload the files to your website or one of the free media sharing servers.

4. ???

5. Profit! :mowcookie

Your audition will be evaluated in this thread based on your voice, acting skills, and recording quality. In the end, the best of the bunch will be trotted before the great throngs of fans, we'll get Simon Cowell to criticize your performance, and then everyone will call in to vote for their favourites. Or something like that... >:]

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 22, 2007, 05:23:59 PM
Goatmon's stuff is good again, although it's got the odd bumping and mechanical noise in the background.  What are you using for a microphone, out of interest?

A headset for now.  I really need to get a regular microphone; most of the noise that occurs from recording is from the headset itself making tiny creaking noises that result for me moving my head while I talk.  When I'm careful the noise isn't too much of a problem, but it still pops up more than I'd like.  Bleh.