I feel like breaking super metroid right now...

Started by Kitsune Ascendant, April 09, 2007, 02:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune Ascendant

It's times like these I almost wish I had brought my snes up to college with me. but man does that game have some interesting bugs. Misingno's got nothing on it.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Aridas

shouldn't you be telling us where you found them?

Kitsune Ascendant

for some reason, I thought they were common knowledge. glitch faq on gamefaqs lists most of them. It's been long enough that I can't remember the other sites.

I think my personal favorite is a glitch that makes the game think you're speed boosting all the time. delicate to keep, but fun as hell.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.

Ryudo Lee

I never did try any of those glitches.  I have a particular method I use to get through the game in 1:30 flat.  I know there's a way to get it under an hour though, and you have to use a couple of those glitches, if I remember correctly.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Aridas

Well, if you're just talking about those, it's not really anything special. Tons of games have bugs.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

xHaZxMaTx

In Super Mario Bros., you can hit the ax that cuts the bridge Bowser is standing on when the timer hits 0 seconds and you get points for all the time in that level. :P

Ryudo Lee

And lets not forget the infamous "World -1" bug (the never ending underwater level) from SMB.

Vidar

Quote from: RyudoLee on April 10, 2007, 09:38:22 AM
And lets not forget the infamous "World -1" bug (the never ending underwater level) from SMB.

Or the jump-over-the-flag bug, also in SMB.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Kitsune Ascendant

I still think super metroid is unique in just how much you can break the game with these glitches. for example, it is possible to reset all items and bosses but keep your entire inventory (well, except super missles). it is possible to get a majority of the items without ever having to beat a boss beyond the bomb guardian. sequence breaks abound.

I don't remember the circumstances exactly, but one time I went through a great deal of upper norfair without the varia suit. let me tell you, there are some tight spots doing that. I barely made it to the first save station.

also, I believe the current record for completing the game lies just over thirty minutes.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Kitsune Ascendant on April 10, 2007, 07:09:24 PM
also, I believe the current record for completing the game lies just over thirty minutes.

If there's documentation of that, I'd like to see it.

I remember bringing my SNES to the back room and asking my mom if I could have the TV for an hour and a half.  I then sat down and played the game start to finish and got 1:30.  I know the timing isn't exactly normal time, but I couldn't have called it better.  :3

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: RyudoLee on April 11, 2007, 10:36:09 AM
Quote from: Kitsune Ascendant on April 10, 2007, 07:09:24 PM

If there's documentation of that, I'd like to see it.

I remember bringing my SNES to the back room and asking my mom if I could have the TV for an hour and a half.  I then sat down and played the game start to finish and got 1:30.  I know the timing isn't exactly normal time, but I couldn't have called it better.  :3
http://www.archive.org/details/SuperMetroid_SS_032
here's a link to the speed run video. I don't count emulated runs (which have ones as low as 27 minutes).

Ryudo Lee

:eek That guy must have seriously twitchy fingers.

Kitsune Ascendant

yeah, that about sums up my reaction. a no boss/miniboss run also requires twitchy fingers and no small amount of patience. in fact, I think that's why I was running through upper norfair with not varia suit.

what cracks me up about that run, though, is that he actually counted his mistakes.