04/22/07 Abel's Story [83] What to say

Started by AndersW, April 21, 2007, 11:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

It occurs to me, much confusion has been flying about recently. Nothing to do with the old man's coronary, but Abel's favorite food nonetheless.

This sure has turned out to be a very, bad day for Mr. Sunshine. If Cid does die from a heart attack, however, I think we can rule out the Cid incubus idea. Unless he's an incubus that's been eating a breakfast, lunch and dinner diet of triple bacon cheeseburgers for the last hundred years, it's more likely that he is merely an old being, suffering from a stress-induced heart attack.

Quote from: Azraelle on April 22, 2007, 01:09:30 AM
I predict more of the thought reading that Abel experienced as Devin was dying.  Which of course will send him over the edge.  Again.

You, my dear, are evil. I mean that in the best sense possible. >:3

Damaris

kaskar, while some off topic fun is expected on this forum, your posts are habitually illegible and completely off the topic (to the point that it is such an annoyance to others that we have been recieving complaints.)

Shape up, or I'm banning you for a week.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Azraelle

Quote from: Cogidubnus on April 22, 2007, 01:18:33 AM
I predict more of the thought reading that Abel experienced as Devin was dying.  Which of course will send him over the edge.  Again.

You, my dear, are evil. I mean that in the best sense possible. >:3

It's not me.  It's the shovel.  It whispers in my ear at night.  Then again, would it be my fault that I still insist on keeping it next to the bed?  *shrug* evil begets evil, I suppose.

Nino

By the laws of energy, it should take energy to transform AND to transform back. So staying in being form probably doesn't TAKE energy, just to get there. Even if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Cid to change back after dying because that would definitely require energy.

Then again, when you add in magic entropy and thermodynamics go out the window.

Zedd

Yes its good for aniversitys! But gonna be almighty bad for Abel if his old man croaks...Had to my dad before but luckly he's still arounds for jebus sake

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kattuccino on April 22, 2007, 01:49:43 AM
By the laws of energy, it should take energy to transform AND to transform back. So staying in being form probably doesn't TAKE energy, just to get there. Even if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Cid to change back after dying because that would definitely require energy.

Then again, when you add in magic entropy and thermodynamics go out the window.

That would depend on the machanism by which they transform.  It's not unreasonable that a transformation that depends on a 'cubi's concentration and conciousness to remain in effect would require a certain constant flow of energy to maintain.  If thier transformation is a sort of metaphysical twist and hold, the magical equivalent to the color change abilities of an octopus(where lots of little muscles manipulate skin color by contracting or relaxing) then it would take no energy to return to the natural state when they release the 'hold' on the form (or are caused tor elease it).  On the other hand, if the transformation is a state that must be shifted from or to, similar to the shifting of gears in a car, then you're right.

Jyrras's patches would be the first, for example, since thier removal reverts the subject.  If a cubi reverts when unconcious or dead, thier transformation would be the first as well.  If a cubi retains its form, even when slain, then it would be as you say...
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

thegayhare

I hate to admit i but this one  was a tough one to rea... For personal reasons. 

It's odd how something like this comic can linger in the brain making you think about things...

hell I probably shouldn't post right now

I can't sleep and probably not makeing to much sense

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Azraelle on April 22, 2007, 01:43:52 AM
It's not me.  It's the shovel.  It whispers in my ear at night.  Then again, would it be my fault that I still insist on keeping it next to the bed?  *shrug* evil begets evil, I suppose.

... I feel that this particular situation is one where your sig does -not- apply, Azraelle. Of course, I could be wrong, but... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azraelle

Quote from: thegayhare on April 22, 2007, 02:29:25 AM
I hate to admit i but this one  was a tough one to rea... For personal reasons. 

It's odd how something like this comic can linger in the brain making you think about things...

hell I probably shouldn't post right now

I can't sleep and probably not makeing to much sense

I know the feeling.  I didn't start reading until a few months ago, just when Abel was getting home from the funeral.  So reading the entire story up to that point in a single sitting was quite ... distressing.  But in a good way, because now I MUST know how it ends!

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 22, 2007, 03:24:36 AM

... I feel that this particular situation is one where your sig does -not- apply, Azraelle. Of course, I could be wrong, but... :-]

Well, I never said having it whisper to me while asleep was a problem, and therefore, a solution is not necessary.

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 22, 2007, 03:24:36 AM

She has a talking shovel...So it might be best not to argue with it or her Master Llearch  :shifty

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Azraelle on April 22, 2007, 03:26:24 AM
Well, I never said having it whisper to me while asleep was a problem, and therefore, a solution is not necessary.

Ah, you misunderstand me. I meant the comic, not the whispering. The whispering is just fine, no problem there at all.

Quote from: Zedd on April 22, 2007, 03:26:48 AM
She has a talking shovel...So it might be best not to argue with it or her Master Llearch  :shifty

Argue? I'm not arguing. I'm seeking elucidation and education. That seems to be the shovel's stock in trade, as it were, so requesting it is merely advancing the day...

... of course, that may -well- mean I'm just asking to get a shovel wrapped around my brain stem, in which case I'm going to regret asking....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reaver225

Well, at least Cid said "Our son" meaning that he still thought of Abel as his.

It's probably going to be overlooked, but if it IS his last few words, it's a lot better than something on the lines of "THAT THING IS AN ABOMINATION!!" *coughs, dies*

Tapewolf

I almost missed this update completely.

Quote from: Kattuccino on April 22, 2007, 01:49:43 AM
By the laws of energy, it should take energy to transform AND to transform back.

I have the impression (as Reese says) that the transformation is like bending something flexible out of shape and keeping it there.  When you let go it reverts to equilibrium.  Personally I suspect that a dead (or possibly unconscious) 'Cubi will revert to their base form, although only Amber can really answer that.

Good one.  I'd go with that.

As others have said, this is quite heavy reading.  While I've never seen anyone collapse before my eyes, I have lost a lot of family so I can't honestly say this is one of my favourite strips.

**EDIT**
Damn, if he pegs it we're never going to find out what "May, I'll be right back..." meant when he saw Abel's headwings.  Or what the good news was.

Also, it would be just typical for Kria to pop in and give some kind of "Shame about your Dad, but he was only a Being anyway" speech.

["Shame about yer Dad, on the other hand, it is the way he said he always wanted to go: horribly."  -- Mrs Yellowbeard]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

King Of Hearts

*gets May's ring and puts it on an open fire*

lesee if we can get some elvish outta this.

Faerie Alex

Good things never seem to happen when a parent insults you then dies. Remember the last time? Perhaps they're more alike than Devin will ever be alive to see.

Much as I'd like to see Cid not croak, it isn't looking good for him.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Shadowcatcher

I can't help but wonder if Abel has the chance to save his father, but blows it like he blew the chance to save Devin.  He must know some healing magics iin order to even have an opportunity to blow.

No wonder Abel was quoted saying "Fear is the mind killer".

Regal

Quote from: Reaver225 on April 22, 2007, 06:03:17 AM

It's probably going to be overlooked, but if it IS his last few words, it's a lot better than something on the lines of "THAT THING IS AN ABOMINATION!!" *coughs, dies*

Except "Our son" is followed by "is a damn incubus!". And Abel is clearly overhearing it.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on April 22, 2007, 04:30:24 AM
$50 says he dies.

If Cid is a being he will.

IF Cid is the incubus, He maybe having some king of Magic attrack and transforms inot a incubus in front of poor May.  And she has a heart attrack...

ARGGGG, Cliffhanger like these are too open to spectulation...

PBH

Aurawyn

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 22, 2007, 06:34:30 AMPersonally I suspect that a dead (or possibly unconscious) 'Cubi will revert to their base form, although only Amber can really answer that.

I'm thinking blackouts, probably passing out, but not necessarily everything that makes you unconscious.

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 22, 2007, 06:34:30 AMDamn, if he pegs it we're never going to find out what "May, I'll be right back..." meant when he saw Abel's headwings.  Or what the good news was.

I still think that the good news is that he bumped into Kria, who is waiting outside.  That will probably settle those questions.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on April 22, 2007, 09:28:50 AMI can't help but wonder if Abel has the chance to save his father, but blows it like he blew the chance to save Devin.

Or Abel saves his dad, and in Abel's eyes redeems himself.
Or Abel saves his dad, and Abel beats himself up for the rest of his life for saving someone he loved, but not the guy who he had traditionally hated.

Or...OH!

Cid probably knows that `cubi can read minds, and so as he's lying there watching Abel's face, he comes to the realization that he can give Abel some final advice that no one else needs to know.

...I seem to have something in my eye again.

Or even start thinking something like, ``Abel!  What the heck did you take all of that magic for?  Come here.  Use spell #224.  Now #253.  Now...''

(of course, I'd expect Abel to fail on the latter)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

GabrielsThoughts

there is no actual indication that it is aheart attack, Cid could be having a panic attack,
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 22, 2007, 12:33:59 PM
there is no actual indication that it is aheart attack, Cid could be having a panic attack,

Not explicitly, no.  But the suggestions are pretty clear.

1.  The ECG wave above his head in the middle-right frame
(as pointed out by superluser)
2. He's clutching his chest
3. He's saying "My hah-"

While he could possibly be trying to say "my head" or "my headwings", the fact that he's clutching his chest and not his head would tend to suggest otherwise.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

you're right the background does look like a cardiogram
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Angel

(gulp) Oh dear.... Not only have Abel, Hennya, and the readers figured out that yes, May had an incubus lover, but now Cid might die. A lot of plot for just two strips.

Geez.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

KarlOmega1

Oh snap...Please don't let Cid die yet...
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Reaver225

Quote from: Regal on April 22, 2007, 09:43:44 AM
Quote from: Reaver225 on April 22, 2007, 06:03:17 AM

Except "Our son" is followed by "is a damn incubus!". And Abel is clearly overhearing it.

It's still better than "That THING is a damn incubus!".

Stygian

[Looks shocked and stunned. Then, slowly, his face cracks into a most malicious grin]

I. Love! Where. This. Is. Going.

Fex

Quote from: Black_angel on April 22, 2007, 03:15:52 PM
(gulp) Oh dear.... Not only have Abel, Hennya, and the readers figured out that yes, May had an incubus lover, but now Cid might die. A lot of plot for just two strips.

Geez.

quick bring 2cc of plot now :3

Aridas

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on April 22, 2007, 09:59:32 AM
If Cid is a being he will.
Uh, no. That's like saying everyone dies of heart attacks. My dad's had AT LEAST 3 in his life and look, he's still there.

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 22, 2007, 01:05:45 PM
1.  The ECG wave above his head in the middle-right frame
Actually, it looks more like a visualisation of pain. Notice the panel before it has the same color theme but there is a straight line. If this was meant to be an ECG in any way, then he would've logically been dead on the previous panel.