Abel's Heritage Theories

Started by techmaster-glitch, March 28, 2007, 02:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaon

well there is the possibility that Cid was turned into a cubi on one of his many adventures
http://nice.llearch.net/dmfa_forum1871.htm#ref326
or that abel was given backwings naturally but while growing up was unknowingly turned into a cubi while in Zvinth

there is also the whole appearance issue
As far as I know most (if not all) persons from a being/creature relationship (cubi or otherwise) tend to look more like the being parent than the cibi one. It's more likely that Cid is the cubi parent (if there is one) rather than it being May.

superluser

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMMay could have seen that Abel was sporting a Tatoo, But she was too shock by that fact alone to Say That It looks the same as your father's.

Or...she might have almost said, ``Your dad has a Mad fold-in version of that tattoo on his...nevermind!''

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMAs for Cid (or May) not saying anything about Abel growing head wing: 1) the parent figures that he or she will be there for Abel when it happens... 2) and saying anything about Cubi is going to expose the LIE...

I can understand why Cid or May might want to keep that from Abel (as a young kid, he might not be good at keeping secrets), but keeping that from the other spouse doesn't make a lot of sense.  So both Cid and May should know the truth, if one of them does.  Once Abel goes through cuberty, however, they would have no reason to keep it from him.  Maybe they're keeping it from Hennya?

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 28, 2007, 03:11:40 PMLike most of the happier theories it doesn't explain Abel's detestation of shapeshifting though.  I have a strong feeling it's tied in with his heritage - if it was something he'd picked up during SAIA (almost said 'Uni') it's likely they would have been able to talk him out of it, so I'm thinking it was burned into him before he attended.

Why would they have any desire to talk Abel out of his fear of shapeshifting?  Not that they wouldn't, just that I'm not sure if there's any good reason for them to do that.

Quote from: Tezkat on March 28, 2007, 04:35:02 PMThey may be genuinely ignorant about the details of Cubi trait inheritance or development.

I tried to say this before, but I don't think it came out as well as you phrased it.

Quote from: Tezkat on March 28, 2007, 04:35:02 PMIt may not even be that he doesn't trust May. Perhaps such a revalation tore his own parents apart

Or his previous marriage(s).

Quote from: Tezkat on March 28, 2007, 04:35:02 PMGeez... I don't know about Furrae, but on this planet, a corporate entity can have as many trade names as it wants, but you cannot give your business a corporate identifier without being incorporated. Furthermore, once the corporation is set up and running, this "additional paperwork" burden consists of things that you would (or should) be doing anyway. For a one-man show, the only practical difference is that you submit taxes slightly more often. For a high cash flow business like a tavern/inn, a corporate structure can even make your accounting easier.

Yeah.  I don't have occasion to study much on corporations.  They're in the Uncanny Valley--too close to humans for comfort, so I tend not to seek out information on them.

I think you're right about Inc., PLC, LLP, & al., but when the word is part of the name, I'm not so sure.  Jy, Corp. would certainly need to be incorporated to use that identifier.  But I think JyCorp (or even Jy-Corp) might be OK, by extension of the corps metaphor.  People could plead ignorance and claim that they thought corp was the singular.

(on a tangent, I wonder if early-90's band Murder, Inc. was incorporated.  Pseudonyms aren't the same as DBAs, but the band probably formed a partnership to administer the rights, and I'd think the partnership would have borne the same name)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

the name is SPARKS

Maybe one of Abel's ancestors was a cubi and the gene for being a cubi was passed down to him

techmaster-glitch

Superluser, that wasnt what tapewolf was trying to say. He meant that Abel hates cubi who use their shapeshifting to IMPERSONATE someone else, he has no fear of shapeshifting. And like said, if the theory of an Incubus tricking May is true, then that right there would be reason enough to hate impersonators.

And sparks, if you could read, you would know that the ancestry theory has already been brought up, but no one can come to a good conclusion due to how much that is NOT known about how it works, Amber has yet to properly explain.

kaskar

How do we know that Cid and May are not a happily married pair of Cubi ? As Abel says , it would only be a cubi of extreme power or too much ego , not to disguise the various traits of the Cubi in public . Abel was too small to understand this as a kid , but Cid as a Cubi adventurer could be a goer , living happily with May .
8) Just Hanging Around ...

techmaster-glitch

Sorry about this kaskar, but...
Please try using something called a brain before posting. If Cid and May were both cubi, then all their interactions make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Especially May. If they were both cubi, then what the hell is the point of both of them pretending they arn't? If you would actually READ the comic, both Cid and especially May talk as if they don't know that their son is also going to grow up as a cubi, which they probably don't. Read this entire thread, and all the theories, and you will know why.

and just cuz i can't stop saying it...
Cid being the cubi and an Incubus tricking May are still the most likely theories, though I still hold for Incubus tricking May as the more likely.

Aridas

Uh, hello? They could be HIDING IT FROM EACH OTHER?

"sorry about this techmaster, but... please try using something called a brain before posting."

Seriously. All i've seen you do so far is boss people around, try to run the forum by telling everyone where to go and redirecting people as if you've been here since day one, insulting kaskar, and finally trying to push your own theories on people, shooting down or ignoring ones that have equal or greater likeliness...

Just... Stop being what half the people on the forum think I already am.

techmaster-glitch

soulfire, seriously, think about it. if they both happen to be cubi, then in May's case, why is she still playing @#!%ing dumb even though her son's headwings have come in? It. Makes. No. Sense.
And have i been acting the way you say? if so, I do apologize to all who feel that way. I will try to reveiw my posts more carefully in the future.
Though i thought i was ok, right up until kaskar. And yes, I will say I'm sorry, kaskar. My bad.

devilsislegrl

COMEDY RELIEF!!

:breaks out into dance number:  :ipod

I can't handle the suspense!!!  :eager  D:  HURRY UP SATURDAY!!!

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 28, 2007, 09:40:28 PMSuperluser, that wasnt what tapewolf was trying to say. He meant that Abel hates cubi who use their shapeshifting to IMPERSONATE someone else, he has no fear of shapeshifting.

1.) I think I know what TW was trying to say.  And that is indeed what he said.
2.) You misinterpreted my comments.  I meant that Abel has an issue with changing base forms.  Perhaps `fear' isn't the best term for it--more akin to fear of success or Erica Jong's Fear of Flying.
3.) Abel not only dislikes others who shapeshift to assume different identities, but also seems to have issues about doing it himself.
4.) Abel obviously has no problems with minor shapeshifting.

Here's a thought, though.  What if Cid is an ungulate incubus--specifically Kria's instructor?  I said before that that's kinda stupid, because Cid and Kria wouldn't have talked the way they did if Kria knew that Abel was Cid's.

But!  If Cid were disguised, then maybe the conversation would have happened that way.  And if Cid were disguised, then Abel would probably get pissed off that his own dad tried to have him killed.

This whole thing may play out that Kria visits the Rewanz family per her previous statements, and finds Cid, whom she has no idea is leading a double life.  Cid plays it coy and curious at first, then when Kria mentions that she was involved in the fight, he gets visibly upset, per his wont.  Then a double entendre.  Something like the following:

Kria: It's a good thing that I was there.
Cid: You were there?  What would a creature be doing in the middle of a creature-being fight?  Explain yourself!
Kria: I was just going to Cantiv to talk to Cindy's parents about creature-being relations.  I didn't know that I'd have to take care of Abel.
Cid: Take care of Abel?  Take care of Abel?  I knew it!  You b*tch!
May, Kria, Hennya and Abel: What?
[Cid pretends to attack Kria.  Everybody tries to pull him off.]
Kria: Look, Cid.  You've obviously had a rough day.  I should get going.  I'll be at the school tomorrow.  If you want to make an appointment to discuss this *calmly*--
Cid: I told you Kria, your weak-heartedness will be your undoing.
Kria: Professor?

Finding out that your dad was really an ungulate in disguise who tried to kill you--not even because he hated you, but simply because it was the proper thing to do for the assignment--might just put you off shifting base forms.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: superluser on March 28, 2007, 09:08:48 PM
Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMMay could have seen that Abel was sporting a Tattoo, But she was too shock by that fact alone to Say That It looks the same as your father's.

Or...she might have almost said, ``Your dad has a Mad fold-in version of that tattoo on his...nevermind!''

That would only be If May could Think clearly though her shock of Abel even have a Tattoo in the first place..and the second shock,  Abel is getting drunk enough to unable to remember some nights. (I wish your read what I wrote before this) That alone is some mother's worst nightmares.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMAs for Cid (or May) not saying anything about Abel growing head wing: 1) the parent figures that he or she will be there for Abel when it happens... 2) and saying anything about Cubi is going to expose the LIE...

I can understand why Cid or May might want to keep that from Abel (as a young kid, he might not be good at keeping secrets), but keeping that from the other spouse doesn't make a lot of sense.  So both Cid and May should know the truth, if one of them does.  Once Abel goes through cuberty, however, they would have no reason to keep it from him.  Maybe they're keeping it from Hennya?

If Cid has been LYING to May all this time, why would May think that Cid is not Cid...He doesn't shapeshift in first of her, and doesn't dreamsurf in her dreams.  Keeping a secret from a trusting spouse is easy if you are not sneaking around or trying to live a double life.  Cid is living one life  as a "Being" with May as his wife. And If Cid does mindread May, it can be to chalk up to "knowing" your wife completely.  Long married couples will talk in incomplete sentences and They know exactly what they are saying to each other, but the rest of us would be clueless.  Given a Cubi's powers, Cid could pull this off easily and May would be clueless to Cid true nature.

PBH  

BTW: I bet that is Cid's surprize or good news, he met up with Kria...and they both walk in the door.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on March 28, 2007, 10:53:35 PM

3.) Abel not only dislikes others who shapeshift to assume different identities, but also seems to have issues about doing it himself.
4.) Abel obviously has no problems with minor shapeshifting.
I thought those two things were screamingly obvious, which is why I didnt add them into what i originally said. Apparently I was mistaken. Now i know i must add every single little detail when i say something.

techmaster-glitch

Here's a thought, though.  What if Cid is an ungulate incubus--specifically Kria's instructor?  I said before that that's kinda stupid, because Cid and Kria wouldn't have talked the way they did if Kria knew that Abel was Cid's.

But!  If Cid were disguised, then maybe the conversation would have happened that way.  And if Cid were disguised, then Abel would probably get pissed off that his own dad tried to have him killed.

This whole thing may play out that Kria visits the Rewanz family per her previous statements, and finds Cid, whom she has no idea is leading a double life.  Cid plays it coy and curious at first, then when Kria mentions that she was involved in the fight, he gets visibly upset, per his wont.  Then a double entendre.  Something like the following:

Cid: You were there?  What would a creature be doing in the middle of a creature-being fight?  Explain yourself!
Kria: I was just going to Cantiv to talk to Cindy's parents about creature-being relations.  I didn't know that I'd have to take care of Abel.
Kria: Look, Cid.  You've obviously had a rough day.  I should get going.  I'll be at the school tomorrow.  If you want to make an appointment to discuss this *calmly*--

Finding out that your dad was really an ungulate in disguise who tried to kill you--not even because he hated you, but simply because it was the proper thing to do for the assignment--might just put you off shifting base forms.
Hmmmmmm..... thats.... actually an interesting theory. Kudos to you.

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 28, 2007, 11:04:45 PMI thought those two things were screamingly obvious, which is why I didnt add them into what i originally said. Apparently I was mistaken. Now i know i must add every single little detail when i say something.

I would have thought those two things were blindingly obvious to everyone, but you seemed to have trouble understanding what I was saying, and since you joined the forum two days ago, I couldn't be sure that *you* knew that.

P.S. (I'd usually PM this stuff, but since I've already got your attention) You might want to stop double-posting, and start using the modify button, instead.  Most people on the forum probably just find it annoying, but the moderators might have other, more rule-based objections.

I'll leave interpretation of the rules to the mods, though.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 10:59:22 PM
Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMMay could have seen that Abel was sporting a Tattoo, But she was too shock by that fact alone to Say That It looks the same as your father's.

That would only be If May could Think clearly though her shock of Abel even have a Tattoo in the first place..and the second shock,  Abel is getting drunk enough to unable to remember some nights. (I wish your read what I wrote before this) That alone is some mother's worst nightmares.

I did read that.  But she didn't know that Abel got blotto when she first saw the mark.  She certainly had enough time to recognize the shape, if it were familiar.  She should be thinking at least that clearly.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 28, 2007, 03:01:08 PMIf Cid has been LYING to May all this time, why would May think that Cid is not Cid

Well, my point is that Cid might not have been lying to May (*).  Maybe they're just lying to Abel.  They both know that Cid is an incubus, and they don't care.

(*) This is predicated on the Cid is an incubus theory.  It would not work on the Cid was replaced by an impostor theory, but you didn't specify which theory.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on March 28, 2007, 11:17:36 PM
P.S. (I'd usually PM this stuff, but since I've already got your attention) You might want to stop double-posting, and start using the modify button, instead.  Most people on the forum probably just find it annoying, but the moderators might have other, more rule-based objections.
I KNEW i should have done an apology on that double post...but i decided not to. All i did was make a mistake dammit. I did not mean to double-post. now I REALLY know i have to write every single little detail into everything i do. Damn, that is annoying.

Ok, sorry to everyone reading this. Enough about mistakes and the humans who naturally make them. Does anyone else want to bring up a theory or a point to a theory? I am eager to advance this thread.

kaskar

Everyone seems to forget that Abel's story is set around 400 years in the past . 25 years ago , Destina may have been lynched , except for the action of Edward . Dan seems slightly upset with his new status of one of the Cubi race . However , he has the support at Lost Lake that he needs . 400 years ago, with one or both of the partners in the marriage being a cubi , secrecy would be of real importance . As May said " life can be so cruel " . Thrown out and discriminated against in a being town , they go to Zvinth . Marks can be easily hidden ( Abel as Merlitz ) , actions could almost be role playing , (as with Azlan but in a more extreme way ) As Abel said , the cubi must be all powerfull or have such an inflated ego , not to hide their wings and other in public . Abel was a small child , before his 2nd wings when we started , and he grew up . Can the family still emotionally hold together ? Why the crack by Henna about reading how Cubi were mean buggers , ate babies , and other boogy man stuff . I wonder ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Reese Tora

Quote from: kaskar on March 29, 2007, 03:27:58 AM
         Everyone seems to forget that Abel's story is set around 400 years in the past . 25 years ago , Destina may have been lynched , except for the action of Edward . Dan seems slightly upset with his new status of one of the Cubi race . However , he has the support at Lost Lake that he needs . 400 years ago, with one or both of the partners in the marriage being a cubi , secrecy would be of real importance . As May said " life can be so cruel " . Thrown out and discriminated against in a being town , they go to Zvinth . Marks can be easily hidden ( Abel as Merlitz ) , actions could almost be role playing , (as with Azlan but in a more extreme way ) As Abel said , the cubi must be all powerfull or have such an inflated ego , not to hide their wings and other in public . Abel was a small child , before his 2nd wings when we started , and he grew up . Can the family still emotionally hold together ? Why the crack by Henna about reading how Cubi were mean buggers , ate babies , and other boogy man stuff . I wonder ?

Possible, but I see an alternate scenario.  Perhaps, in the past of Furrae, people, aside from in some small backwaters of the world, are in a golden age of civilization.  The creatures, in their many kinds, are generally accepted, even respected, members of the community.  Aside from a few hate mongers, society accepts the various odd variations.  The rarer variation, people know little about, and some fear of the unknown may give rise to stories, especially in communities where they are not found.  Some time in the intervening four hundred years, some event or series of events ended or retarded this golden age, and tolerance was lost.

I imagine that furrae could very well have had a society like that, similar to our own.  Cubi would be as rare in that society as albino people are in our society.  Many people know OF them, and fear them, but few know about them.  Now albinos are not as potentially sinister in nature as cubi are, but there was a time when someone who was different in such a way was shunned, cast out, hunted.  Perhaps even some event brought down the ire of the people on the cubi, like the albino uprising of 2013 will in human society, and... wait... you aren't supposed to know about that. *activates MIB style memory erasure flash*

Anyway, my point is, we don't know much about furrae society in Abel's time beyond what's presented in the comic, and half the time is spent in a small backwater village, and the other half in the erudite surroundings of apparently decent public education.  These two things are hardly a measure of society.

um... what were we talking about again? Abel's heritage?

I think we're going to be finding out in about a week, but I would say the Cid as a cubi and the Cid cuckolded by a cubi theories are the most plausible to me. *shrug* I don't have much to say on that. (hard to believe, no? :animesweat )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 28, 2007, 03:11:40 PMLike most of the happier theories it doesn't explain Abel's detestation of shapeshifting though.  I have a strong feeling it's tied in with his heritage - if it was something he'd picked up during SAIA (almost said 'Uni') it's likely they would have been able to talk him out of it, so I'm thinking it was burned into him before he attended.

Why would they have any desire to talk Abel out of his fear of shapeshifting?  Not that they wouldn't, just that I'm not sure if there's any good reason for them to do that.

Depends what the aim of SAIA is, really.  If I was training young 'cubi to survive in a world that wants them dead, I'd try to ensure they could use every trick available to them.  Someone who won't is going to be at a disadvantage and masquerading is likely to be an entire branch of study that Abel has shut himself off from.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is that if SAIA itself caused the fear, they'd probably provide counselling to prevent it affecting his studies.
Remember the depression and the goth thing?  Fa'Lina talked him out of that, so I'm thinking the only reason they haven't stopped the shapeshifting hangup is because they can't.  Maybe getting him to do cosmetic changes was the best they could manage.

Basically if it happened during the course, they could have nipped it in the bud and it wouldn't be as deeply-ingrained as if it affected the fabric of his childhood.

[You know this thread is getting to you when you dream that Abel's father was Mab.]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 04:35:14 AM
[You know this thread is getting to you when you dream that Abel's father was Mab.]

... I knew Fae were powerful, but that's ridiculous...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 29, 2007, 04:51:58 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 04:35:14 AM

... I knew Fae were powerful, but that's ridiculous...

???  When Did this rumor started?  ???

I can see if Cid or some cubi could be "hiding" so good that even they can sometime forgot what they are...or They could be hiding so much that they would hide their true nature from even their spouses.   Remember in May's lifetime, There is discrimination and what amounts to open warfare in the wilds between Creatures and Beings.

Alondro

Charline is Abel's mother AND father!  ZOMG!!  Who'd have ever suspected that!   ;) 

It's pointless to ponder the question of Abel's cubi heritage until the truth is finally revealed.  Amber will make sure none of our specs are correct!  She already knows what we're thinking!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on March 29, 2007, 09:02:56 AM
She already knows what we're thinking!   D:

... she knows when we've been bad or good, so we better be good, for goodness sake?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: kaskar on March 29, 2007, 03:27:58 AMWhy the crack by Henna about reading how Cubi were mean buggers , ate babies

Waitaminnit.

All of Devin's siblings were murdered as babies, right?  I wonder if the two are related.

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 29, 2007, 03:59:17 AMNow albinos are not as potentially sinister in nature as cubi are

Albinos are actually quite often portrayed as sinister in film and literature.  So much so that there's an entire article about it at Wikipedia.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 04:35:14 AMDepends what the aim of SAIA is, really.  If I was training young 'cubi to survive in a world that wants them dead, I'd try to ensure they could use every trick available to them.  Someone who won't is going to be at a disadvantage and masquerading is likely to be an entire branch of study that Abel has shut himself off from.

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is that if SAIA itself caused the fear, they'd probably provide counselling to prevent it affecting his studies.

I'm not sure that taking a different identity or doing anything more than hiding wings is really a necessity.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were against some religious beliefs, and SAIA doesn't want to try to change it.

You're nearly there, but I'm still not convinced.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: kaskar on March 29, 2007, 03:27:58 AM
Why the crack by Henna about reading how Cubi were mean buggers , ate babies , and other boogy man stuff . I wonder ?
I don't think that was a "crack", I think she thinks she is right. Contrayry to what someone said about the "golden age" of tolerance being during Abel's time, I think that is entirely incorrect. It seems that in Furrae, the farther back you go, the less tolerant and the more misinformed the general public gets, to the point where even other creatures such as Hennya the Mythos don't really know what they're talking about, even though they think they do. Kinda like how everyone thought the world was flat. They thought they knew what they were talking about, but they didnt.

Anywho, everyone does keep comeing up with good, plausible points as to why Cid/May would hide being a cubi, but this still has to be answered:
There is no possible way that I can think of that they wouldn't know their son would ruin the charade eventually, once they saw his backwings as a baby. Someone said, "what if Cid never went to SAIA and never learned about how cubi grow up?". Well, as far as headwings go, all cubi grow up in almost exactly the same way. So Cid's headwings (assuming he even has them) must have appeared at around the same time in his life as Abel's. If I was Cid, and was never educated that there were other ways odf a cubi growing up (which there arn't), I would assume that my kid is going to grow up in the exact same way as I did, and expect the headwings. So here is the question; Why let May find out the way she has, instead of breaking it to her himself, when almost anything he says has to be a better way of finding out?

ohhhhhh.......crap........ I just thought of something. We all know that there is no such thing as a partial cubi, right? you are fully a cubi or you arn't at all. But even during Dan's time, when more knowlegde is common, HE still didn't know that. So if you rewind 400 years to Abel's time when people know even less....... ohhh crapcrapcrap.......

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 29, 2007, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: kaskar on March 29, 2007, 03:27:58 AMWhy the crack by Henna about reading how Cubi were mean buggers , ate babies
All of Devin's siblings were murdered as babies, right?  I wonder if the two are related.

That would explain why his mother was totally gaga.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 04:35:14 AMIn a nutshell, what I'm saying is that if SAIA itself caused the fear, they'd probably provide counselling to prevent it affecting his studies.

I'm not sure that taking a different identity or doing anything more than hiding wings is really a necessity.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were against some religious beliefs, and SAIA doesn't want to try to change it.

You're nearly there, but I'm still not convinced.

Yes.  But on the flipside, if I sent my perfectly normal 'Cubi son to SAIA when his headwings came in, and when he came back he was afraid of shapeshifting I would have a few very nasty words to say to Fa'Lina, e.g. "What have you done to my son, you crazy old hag?"

Which ultimately reinforces my point that if SAIA traumatised Abel (or any other student) about shapeshifting, it would be in their interests to fix it ASAP.  Whereas I think we agree that if Abel (or any other student) went into SAIA with a hangup about shapeshifting they wouldn't be quite so adamant about curing it at any cost, particularly if, as you say, it's some kind of religious belief.

Which might be the case for Abel, but since he doesn't even know he can yet, is somewhat improbable. :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

devilsislegrl

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 10:10:51 AM

That would explain why his mother was totally gaga.

But I thought Devin's mom killed them... :erk  Plus, that was probably in a different town...

O BTW, just thinking about all the clan mark hiding, I just remembered reading in the wiku-wiki that cubi can't hide their marks through shapeshifting.  No matter what form they take, the mark will still be there...Here it is on the Cubi page under Clans, Magic, and Training.

Ok, back to my rabid belief that May is the Cubi.  Couldn't it be that she had never seen her clan's marking because maybe her Cubi parent (or parents) only themselves knew basic shapeshifting, and that's all they taught her?  Also, what we may see as her not knowing why Abel had headwings could be utter shock.  Maybe she believed that Abel would only be half cubi because she herself knew so little about being Cubi.  It's not like her clan would've had big conferences or something.

Also, maybe Abel's distaste for a cubi impersonating someone else comes from an event that hasn't happened yet...

Aridas

Waitaminnit.

I very much doubt it... It sounded like she was just making it up. Just look at the last thing she said about them... Even May believed Hennya was kidding around, and she didn't protest that she was serious.

Homicidal_Kitten

(Sorry if someone posted soemthing like this already. n.n;)

I sorta agree with the last one, what is May Slept with a Cubi.
Say Sid was gone for one night, or even for months, and she did sleep with a cubi?
Who said it had to change into Sid? I mean she could of slept with him willingly, whether its the cubi charm, or whether she even knew if he was cubi or not.
It seems a bit shallow(okay, Really shallow), but it explain why the village thought she was a wh*re. >.>;

Did that make a any sence? n.n;

techmaster-glitch

Perhaps the event that makes Abel hate impersonators hasn't happened yet, but this theory

And the theory that an Incubus tricked May conviniently provide an event already. Though if neither of these are used, then there will be a future event. Unless someone can come up with another senario that fits into what has already been written in the comics.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 28, 2007, 02:30:09 AM
Theory #8: An Incubus tricked May.
The last one, and just F.Y.I. i never inteded this one to be the end-all answer, it just makes the most sense. Cid is out on one of his many long adventures. May is asleep, dreaming about him. An Incubus chances by, enters May's mind, and finds about Cid. Incubus takes Cid's form and has a nice night with May, probably making her think she is still asleep. Cid finally returns, and neither of them know the difference, even when May turns out pregnant, because genreally, couples don't lead sexually inert marriges. And with Cid constantly being gone, they probably do it as often as they can (Until Able was born, and Cid gave up adventuring). Backing up a bit, hell, the Incubus doesnt even need for Cid to be on an adventure, Cid could just be gone in town for just one night and the incubus could pull it off. And there isn't the "hide the mark" problem, because the Incubus would only have to try to hide it for one night, not for months or years on end. Easily doable.
Verdict: Yes, I would have to say this is probably the only answer.
Yes, Homicidal-Kitten, this theory has been suggested. And zealously supported.

Dammit i double posted again. Shoot.