Best Doom Mod ever

Started by ilpalazzo, March 07, 2007, 02:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: RyudoLee on March 28, 2007, 02:52:05 PM
I recently picked up (and got working) jDoom, which came bundled with a bunch of enhancement packs for Doom, Heretic, and Hexen.  It supports jumping, and then some.  Only problem is that it has terrible support for my video card and so I have to use software rendering for the 3d models it uses.

I played Hexen through that once.  It wasn't quite the same, which was a wee bit disappointing.  One of the subtle differences between Hexen and Heretic is that if you die particularly messily, your head comes off.  It was possible to do various fun little things with that, like making sure you explode on top of a cliff so your head falls down the ravine.
I don't think any of the replacement engines I've seen so far support that :(

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Best ever?  Not sure, but psdoom must be up there.  I wonder what happens if you kill psdoom from inside psdoom.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 28, 2007, 09:49:37 PM
Best ever?  Not sure, but psdoom must be up there.  I wonder what happens if you kill psdoom from inside psdoom.

I used it to kill the windowing system.  That was kind of funny  >:3
I still think it would be better if the processes fought back, preferably with infighting...

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 06:05:22 AMI still think it would be better if the processes fought back, preferably with infighting...

I had been under the impression that they did.  Otherwise, how would the user get to less than 100% health in some of the shots?

Of course, you've played it.  I haven't, so...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 29, 2007, 11:12:24 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 29, 2007, 06:05:22 AMI still think it would be better if the processes fought back, preferably with infighting...

I had been under the impression that they did.  Otherwise, how would the user get to less than 100% health in some of the shots?

Standing in the acid, for one.  And yes, I have played it, but not since it came out, which was last century so I can't remember every little detail  >:3

I have a vague feeling they do a simple one-for-one attack - certainly they don't fight you like in the original, at least they default to milling around, running through walls and so on.

I'll have to give it another go.