Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Saist

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 27, 2007, 09:32:39 PM
Quote from: Manawolf on March 27, 2007, 09:16:50 PM
You don't have to choose, people.

Poppycock!

CHOOSE NOW

um... can I choose the Happy Sweet Amber who isn't about to kill everything that moves?

Manawolf

But they can have the Amber in either comic.  She cameoed, after all.  Let me find the appropriate picture.

Amber Williams

bill

Keleth

Quote from: je.saist on March 27, 2007, 09:37:00 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on March 27, 2007, 09:32:39 PM
You don't have to choose, people.

Poppycock!

CHOOSE NOW

um... can I choose the Happy Sweet Amber who isn't about to kill everything that moves?

I second Saist >: 

*Hides in a fortified bunker*
Help! I'm gay!

Kenji

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 27, 2007, 09:47:21 PM
No. No they can't.

CHOOSE NOW!

Man, this is a toughy... um... umm.... I....
I choose...

I Choo-Choo-Choose.....

The Dance!

Amber Williams

Aridas

Zedd

superluser

Quote from: Manawolf on March 27, 2007, 09:16:50 PMHopkins reincarnates his characters as well, and the Greeks never did go into such lavish detail on the terrain aside from listing the various punishments of the worst sinners.

I do believe that Æneas got reincarnated, I doubt that Hopkins describes Hell in greater detail than Dante or even Hieronymus Bosch, and they brought back Euripides in The Frogs. (and yes, I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes.  Or at least, of it)

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 27, 2007, 09:32:39 PMCHOOSE NOW

But I don't like Bill Moyers!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

bill

Manawolf

Quote from: superluser on March 27, 2007, 10:03:33 PM
Quote from: Manawolf on March 27, 2007, 09:16:50 PMHopkins reincarnates his characters as well, and the Greeks never did go into such lavish detail on the terrain aside from listing the various punishments of the worst sinners.

I do believe that Æneas got reincarnated, I doubt that Hopkins describes Hell in greater detail than Dante or even Hieronymus Bosch, and they brought back Euripides in The Frogs. (and yes, I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes.  Or at least, of it)

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 27, 2007, 09:32:39 PMCHOOSE NOW

But I don't like Bill Moyers!

Fact of entertainment:  Everything has already been done once, SO QUIT BITCHING ABOUT IT!

superluser

Quote from: Manawolf on March 27, 2007, 10:39:44 PMFact of entertainment:  Everything has already been done once, SO QUIT BITCHING ABOUT IT!

I do believe I said that Hopkins was in good company for copying that stuff.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

Azraelle

I .... wish for more wishes?

And there's always a way to re-incarnate a character.  Just look at Superman.  And the X-Files.  If they could re-incarnate Agent Spender, then anything's possible.

Wow, did anyone get the license number off that nerd attack that just hit me?

Zedd

Ummmm Azzy...What color did it look like?

kaskar

Quote from: Azraelle on March 27, 2007, 11:33:45 PM
I .... wish for more wishes?

And there's always a way to re-incarnate a character.  Just look at Superman.  And the X-Files.  If they could re-incarnate Agent Spender, then anything's possible.

Wow, did anyone get the license number off that nerd attack that just hit me?

It seems a character may only be able to die when everyone forgets all trace of them . Is it now the time for " the rise and and fall of dark pegasus, part 4 " ? Dan may have banished dark pegusus to his grave, by the powers ordained to him when he studied to be a mail order priest . Past studies in these pages show Dan is an Idiot . Who is to tell that he didn't idiotically foul up the banishment of dark pegasus ? And will Regina arise in full glory to radiate her true self to our presence ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Goatmon

Quote from: superluser on March 27, 2007, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Manawolf on March 27, 2007, 08:05:07 PMDavid Hopkins found one way around the problem, since his comic encompasses the life of his characters and the afterlife, so no one gets killed off as much as simply moves onto another place.

Homer did that, too.  Achilles, the protagonist of the Iliad, died before the beginning of the Odyssey, but he wrote a scene in which Odysseus goes to Hell and meets Achilles there.  So David Hopkins is (A) unoriginal, and (B) in good company.

::Kills Superluser, banishes soul to the Nine Hells::

Hopkins reincarnates his characters as well, and the Greeks never did go into such lavish detail on the terrain aside from listing the various punishments of the worst sinners.

And to keep things simple and take the pressure off Amber, if you want light hearted humor, read DMFA.  If you want drama and death, read Jack.  You don't have to choose, people.

Seriously.  And to those few who enjoy both forms of storytelling in their own individual goodness, there's no reason we can't read both.  Then there's Abel's Story which is a mesh of shiny kid-friendly art and serious semi-grim storytelling. 

Alondro

No. No they can't.

CHOOSE NOW!

Choose ye this day whom ye will serve!   :mwaha

PS:  A character is dead if they're named Poochie.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Manawolf

Yet he rose once more to mourn at Scratchy's funeral.

Azraelle

Quote from: Zedd on March 28, 2007, 02:01:45 AM

It was ... Matrix Green!  O.o

Zedd

Quote from: Azraelle on March 28, 2007, 08:11:25 PM
Quote from: Zedd on March 28, 2007, 02:01:45 AM

It was ... Matrix Green!  O.o

Damn...You should tooken the blue pill

Nino

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 26, 2007, 04:44:19 PM
My apologies, I figured the fact that there -was- a road toll was general enough knowledge, and that it took an effect on people (usually fatal) that I wouldn't have to list references.

I meant: There is a road toll. It's fairly well known. If you know a couple hundred people, which is reasonable, chances are there's going to be at least a couple of road deaths in that number.

Rolling those numbers out, across the world, that's a heck of a lot of deaths. That's a heck of a lot of people affected by those deaths.

It's really not -that- uncommon for a young person to die. Not on a global scale, not on a local scale. Not even if you limit it to Western countries.

Is that a little more explicit, Kattucino?

Well considering I had no idea what the term "road toll" was refering too, yeah, I'd say it is. I thought for a minute you were talking about toll roads. But yeah, assuming everyone knows every term out there is a good thing to do in life. You must just love condescending to people. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Besides, what you say is all fine and good, but if you want to have a convincing argument it's nice to have numbers to back up your statement. Saying it's "uncommon" isn't going to convince me of anything.

Goatmon

No. No they can't.

CHOOSE NOW!

I have no problem dwelling in Hell instead of Furrae, you know.  It'd be a good opportunity to hang out with my dad, even if he did kill me....

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kattuccino on March 29, 2007, 12:29:00 AM
Well considering I had no idea what the term "road toll" was refering too, yeah, I'd say it is. I thought for a minute you were talking about toll roads. But yeah, assuming everyone knows every term out there is a good thing to do in life. You must just love condescending to people. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Apparently, yes.

Quote from: Kattuccino on March 29, 2007, 12:29:00 AM
Besides, what you say is all fine and good, but if you want to have a convincing argument it's nice to have numbers to back up your statement. Saying it's "uncommon" isn't going to convince me of anything.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/statistics/stats-usa_indiv-states_per-capita_2003.htm
.. the 10th link on google for "united states road toll"

Or http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nscl.asp?ID=8094 or http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Transport-Travel/PubRoadAcc or http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html or http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

These give varying numbers - estimated 1.17 million deaths/year worldwide, or 48,000 for the US alone for 2003, or, for the city of london, 71 fatal and serious accidents on roads per 100,000 people, and 7.355 million people, giving something over five thousand incidents in 2003 alone.

I, personally, am aware of more than 5 separate incidents involving fatality, or serious injury, on the roads, of people I knew reasonably well. And I'm really not that friendly a guy.

If you only know of one person, consider yourself lucky. :-(
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Goatmon

I was a witness to a road accident that took the life of my beloved dog.    :<

ShiningShadow

No. No they can't.

CHOOSE NOW!

I choose you Amber you have been my day and made smile when I go over the comic in my head I laugh the people at looks at me strangely but I don't care It has been lots a laughs from your part that makes my day special.

Alondro

Ok, a character is dead if he's a cracy admiral on a Terran flagship surrounded by Neosapien warships and the guy sets the self-destruct and blows himself up to destroy the enemy fleet and give humans a fighting chance.

He's dead!  He was totally dead and didn't come back!  His body was friggin vaporized!   :tongue  So there! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

kaskar

A character , I feel , is only fully dead , when all trace of him is gone , bodily and mentally . Is that why they always seem to regenerate in the comics, under what could only be called, 'plot convenience' ?
8) Just Hanging Around ...