Song of the sea (ooc)

Started by Somber, March 23, 2007, 09:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somber

This is an ooc query of interest for a story that's been kicking around in my head for quite a while.  The characters would start out as passengers aboard a ship in the Furrae world.  I'm hopeing more for character interaction and less of madcap racing about or facing unknown ubernatural nastiness.  The usual furrae world rules apply: only beings and creatures in DMFA would be allowed, and preferably no super world shaking uberness.  Also, being that it's a sea based story, no mer at this time.  Later on it will be an option if any one wants.  Beings are strongly encouraged.  Possible roles are passengers, crew, or stowaways (if you like being in trouble).

The ship is the HRM Concordia.  A three masted sailing schooner that plies the ocean carrying passengers and perishable cargo.  Her captain is Jenanny Black, a sea cat not in the habit of asking questions of her passengers so long as the coin is bright and plentiful.  Some might question how a twenty something black cat maintains discipline until they meed Mr. Arrow.  The green scaled mythos resembling a crocotaur acts as her first mate, keeping the crew in line as they sail the sea lanes.

I'd like five or six players interested before starting, and plan to cap it at ten should there actually be that many people on board.

"Hope that I can interest you."

Somber

Boog

Sounds... Interesting. I believe I'll get in on this.

Name: Marco Poloskawitz
Sex: Male
Species: Chechire cat being
Proffession: Gardener
Appearance: Slightly above average height, fur in a shade of obviously-unnatural purple and black stripes, wears a white trenchcoat and a green hood that overshadows his face. Thus, of his face one can usually only see his eyes, his nose and his smile. Headfur is red and of jaw length, and his eyes are blue. There's a crooked bend to his tail, as though it were run over by a cart.
Personality: Relaxed, with a sharp wit and an overall friendly manner. Unless you catch him drunk, in which case he is the most unkind person you will ever meet. Has a dabbling interest in magic and in music, and knows a little of both. Tends to sneak up on people inadvertantly, and vanishes just as easily.
History. He's on this trip because his boss thinks he spends too much time on the job, and doesn't really like paying overtime. He tends the gardens at an old colonial-era house kept open as a sort of museum.

Somber

Glad to have you aboard. Hope that we get three or four more and then we can start.   He looks perfectly fine and normal so I shouldn't have any problem working with him.

"Hope to start playing soon."

Somber

Tiny crested flint

I'd like to join but can you give me some time to come up with a bio?

Somber

No problem.  We still need 3 more people to get started.

"Take your time."

Somber

Tapewolf

What time period are you thinking of, and what kind of ship is it?  Steamer?  Diesel?  Or one of those tacky wooden things?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lushin

Hrmm lets see if I can pull something off

Name: Gregor Reepar (Pronounced Reaper)
Species: River Otter (The river wolf/ Amazon river Otter)
Proffession: Deck hand/crew member
Appearance: Looks like a normal otter, fur color and all. Dark brown fur and hair, brown eyes and sharp teeth. He stands about 6'7" and is heavily musculared. His hair is shoulder length and is tied back in a some type of ponytail to keep the hair of of his eyes. He wears black cargo pants, a black leather belt with a leatherman strapped on his hip, he usually wears a black tank top while on ship. If he is in port he tends to wear a grey hooded sweat shirt.
Personality: Fairly quiet, he doesn't start conversations. If someone starts one with him, he normal keeps his responces short and simple. His reaction with the anyone one the crew is all business. He only talks to them if he needs help, is asked to help or the captain is giving orders, even then he only says what he needs to. This action has caused must people who know him to call him Grim, because he never seems to be in a good or bad mood.
Historty: All is know is that he has been on ships most of his life. He was one of the first to sign up on for crew of the Concordia, he had just finished a stint on another ship at the time. He doesn't talk much about his past, when asked about his past he always replies "Life is lived in the present and the future not the past".
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

Somber

Tacky wooden.  ::Thump!::  And just because it's wood and sail doesn't mean it's slow in the slightest.  Magic makes all the difference.  Besides, Dan and Co use swords despite modern convieniences.

As for Gregor, he looks just fine to me.  Just need 2 more now.

"Welcome aboard."

Somber

Tapewolf

Quote from: Somber on March 24, 2007, 07:18:39 PM
Tacky wooden.  ::Thump!::  And just because it's wood and sail doesn't mean it's slow in the slightest.  Magic makes all the difference.  Besides, Dan and Co use swords despite modern conveniences.

Oh no, it's not the speed I'm concerned about, it's more the lack of size and complexity.  If it was something huge like the QE2 with hundreds of passenger compartments and a vast array of diesel engines below deck to maintain (or malfunction), I'd join like a shot.

If you're going with a clipper or something, that's cool but it isn't my thing  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dezdemona Thanatos

Hey this sounds pretty neat. I'd like to join.

Name: Sha'Nai Felisa
Sex: Female
Species: Cat Being
Proffession: Body Guard
Appearance:  Long auburn hair, white fur, and an auburn tipped tail. She wears a long black dress that is surprisingly allowing for movement considering how it looks. She also wears fishnet gloves and stockings, along with combat boots. She has multiple ear pierceings and a spiked collar.
Personality: Dispite her gothed out look she's actually pretty outgoing and fun loving. She doesn't really go for the whole angsting thing. She loves to mingle and she tends to give out advice that should be beyond her years. She doesn't care for violence and avoids it when she can but when the need calls for it she can be a fierce combatant.
Historty: Forced at a young age to take up the job she was trained as an assassin. She worked at that for a few years but left at her first opportunity. She then set out to be a bodyguard and is currently looking for clients.

Somber

All righty.  I'd disagree with you on complexity, but it's certainly not mechanical if you were more interested in playing an engineer type.  If it's not your thing then its not your thing.  So we have three characters and one interest.  Just need two more characters finished and I can get started.

Some details on the ship.  It's constructed in basically four levels.  The bottom most is the bilge and holds.  The Concordia employs a magically chilled cold hold for perishables.  The dry holds carry cargo, food, and emergency water.  Above that is the crew deck, where most of the crew berths, galley, and trades can be found, such as the carpenter and sail mender.  Above that is the gun deck, with ten cannons that are rarely used.  The ship is designed to outrun trouble, not outfight it.  Besides, gunpowder is expensive.  Running is cheap.  The rear half of the gun deck is converted into a half dozen passenger quarters each designed to carry four passengers.  The final level is the "castle" or raised cabins on the rear of the ship.  This is devided between the captain's quarters, the captain's mess, and her officer's quarters.

The ship has a solid reputation for swift and safe travel, carrying goods and people all over the western oceans.  She even makes stops at the undead colony, finding passage there to be both lucerative and rather harmless... though she recommends living visitors to bring their own supply of food.  If the Concordia has a fault it's that it seems to attract an unhealthy share of adventure... which has been seen as a good and bad thing.

"Also, one thing to keep in mind is why is your character aboard the ship.  Are they looking for work, or simply going some where?"

Somber

Dezdemona Thanatos

My character is on her way to find work but is also open to working as a crew member is she is so needed.

Somber

Well I doubt that Jenanny would take a body guard, as long as Sha'nai is tough enough to do the work and smart enough to take orders, she could find work for passage and pay.

"Just a few more..."

Somber

Dezdemona Thanatos

Yeah she'd be willing to do all that.

Azlan

Looks kind of fun, I shall put forth an attempt.

Name: Kylun Auzric
Species: Raccoonish Angel
Profession: Ship's Doctor (Wardroom warrant officer)
Appearance: Average build raccoon anthro of silver fur with charcoal mask, striping and markings.  His wings match the marking patterns in his fur and are the atypical angel feathered type.  As wings are a liability ship board, he normally alters his shape to remove them.  His eyes are a deep sea green and his white hair is normally tied in a pony tail, hearkening back to the sailing days of old.  His dress is rather old as well and consists of a gray tunic, brown breeches and grey leg coverings.  He occasionally wears a velvet coat (late 18th and early 19th century) or a leather vest.  He wears shoes or will go bare pawed if working rigging for some particular reason.  He will dress more conventionally if necessary, adopting more modern styles.   
Personality: Inquisitive and somewhat reserved.  Tends toward seriousness and well ordered actions, but still remains flexible and adaptive to rapidly changing situations.  He may seem aloof at first, but is friendly after the initial uncertainty has worn off.
History: An anachronistic scientist/surgeon, the sailing naturalist.  A well studied and adventurous creature who enjoys the call of the sea far more then could be healthy.  He is reasonably skilled in the arts of medicine and when performed along with his minor capacity with healing magics, it makes for amazing results.  Why he has an obsession with the sea is not known, he has traveled aboard many ships and served aboard countless others.  Kylun has recently separated service from the Merchant Navy where he served as a Doctor and a Wardroom warrant officer.  His passion, besides the sea, is naturalistic science, history and anthropology.  No master of magic, he has developed his skills with darker magics to aid in his scientific investigations... though it is a unique use of necromantic disciplines.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Somber

Very interesting.  Ship's doctor is an important role and he looks like he'll fill it well.  I have a question: do people know he is a creature / angel?  Would Jenanny?  I ask just because Angels like to work behind the scenes and off the radar.  Otherwise he looks good and I'm glad to have him.

"One more and we can shove off."

Somber

Azlan

Quote from: Somber on March 27, 2007, 11:36:23 AM
Very interesting.  Ship's doctor is an important role and he looks like he'll fill it well.  I have a question: do people know he is a creature / angel?  Would Jenanny?  I ask just because Angels like to work behind the scenes and off the radar.  Otherwise he looks good and I'm glad to have him.

"One more and we can shove off."

Somber

I'm not one for secrets and Kylun is not one for living up to everyone's expectations for his race.  Let us say that he will not go out of his way to tell someone he is an Angel, but he has not necessarily hidden it.  If Jenanny doesn't make a habit of grilling staffers on every facet or asking the right questions, then Jenanny likely has not found out.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Somber

Then she probably will know there's something odd but not more than that.  She respects others privacy.

"Just need one more finished character to begin."

Somber

Tiny crested flint

Gaa! I'm sorry, but I'll have to step back this time.  Stupid RL will keep me away >:[.

Dang, and I wanted to the ship's cook too! :cry If you're still waiting on me to start, I'm sorry to let you down. I really wanted to and I was gonna be from the Griffin B race but I'll be too busy for now.

I hate breaking promises. Maybe I can come in at a later time.  Again, sorry :c.

Somber

That's all right.  RL happens... at least until we can plug ourselves into whatever fantasy world we like via virtual reality 24/7.  Till then just do what you have to do.  Just remember when you can join that no one likes feathers in their soup.

"What!  Is protein!"

Somber