Possible downtime (on my computer's side)

Started by Gabi, March 09, 2007, 06:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

I'm going to change one of my hard drives today (the one with the kernel, for those who know what I'm talking about). If everything goes well, I'll be back online tomorrow, or even tonight if I'm lucky. But if not, I may not be online during the weekend.

I'm posting this just so nobody's left wondering what happened to me in the event that things get complicated.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on March 09, 2007, 06:17:50 AM
I'm going to change one of my hard drives today (the one with the kernel, for those who know what I'm talking about). If everything goes well, I'll be back online tomorrow, or even tonight if I'm lucky. But if not, I may not be online during the weekend.

I'm posting this just so nobody's left wondering what happened to me in the event that things get complicated.

Should be smooth enough for Linux if you're booting with GRUB.  If you're booting from LILO it should be fine too, if you recreate the boot partition in the same spot and image it across with dd.

The only real problem with drive swaps is if you have Windows, particularly XP, because it triggers the self destruct happy fun licensing manager.

Let us know if you have any snags (I'm still trying to make wireless networking actually work)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

I'm using GRUB and I'm not letting Windows XP touch my computer any time soon. I do have Windows 2000 installed on it, but it's on the other hard drive so that shouldn't be a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: things went well. I lost some time due to the image of my old disk not working, but we (my brother and I) made up for it by unplugging the DVD writer and replacing it by the old disk to copy the Linux partition into the new one. Now everything's working again... I didn't even have to make any changes to my GRUB. And my 10-year-old 2GB disk is resting in a box until we find [someone who has] a use for it. I was surprised to confirm it was made in December, 1996 and it's still working properly, just full.

I can finally SSH myself without getting any 'no space left on device' errors, which also means I'll be able to install new programs when I need them. And on top of it all, I now have 1280MB of RAM (rather than just 256). This should keep my computer going for a while. I may even be able to watch videos without dropping a ridiculous amount of frames.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Good to hear, Gabi.

Hope The Gimp treats you equally well. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears