03/06/07 [Cubi02] Mind reading 2

Started by AndersW, March 06, 2007, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenji

Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 09:27:42 PM
Quote from: ShadesFox on March 07, 2007, 09:17:40 PMMaybe they both speak the language of plot device?

Look, I'm not wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts.  I'm assuming that they speak the same language, and I'm simply wondering what that language is called.

Convenience. Easiest language to learn.

Azlan

Quote from: Kenji on March 07, 2007, 09:33:02 PM

Here I thought it was Ruby.  The blue squirrel has a dirty mind... I knew he was off.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 09:03:54 PM
Lostlakian
I've never known a language to be based in such a small place before.

Alan Garou

Quote from: Ink on March 07, 2007, 04:02:04 PM

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 07, 2007, 02:56:20 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on March 07, 2007, 02:16:59 PM
Thanks everyone! And thanks Amber! Just warn me next time you deside to use me, kay?

NEVAH! :U
Coming Soon: DMFA-XXX, starring James Starunner...

...  >:3

You are giving me ideas.
For the love of god, Run James! D:

ShadesFox

Quote from: ShadesFox on March 07, 2007, 09:17:40 PMMaybe they both speak the language of plot device?

Look, I'm not wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts.  I'm assuming that they speak the same language, and I'm simply wondering what that language is called.

That is the best part of plot device though.  You don't even have to learn it!  You just sort of already know it some how.
The All Purpose Fox

Boog

Quote from: ShadesFox on March 07, 2007, 10:17:29 PM

That is the best part of plot device though.  You don't even have to learn it!  You just sort of already know it some how.

Which will be explained in some future, complicated story arc that entails a dangerous conspiracy, Wildy's parents and the true meaning of christmas. In that order.

Azlan

That seems to be too easy of an answer, it lacks the necessary complexity, literary rigmarole and legendary rhetoric that has been seen here.  It needs a fresh, ground-breaking view.

Kenji

Quote from: Azlan on March 07, 2007, 10:32:12 PM

That seems to be too easy of an answer, it lacks the necessary complexity, literary rigmarole and legendary rhetoric that has been seen here.  It needs a fresh, ground-breaking view.

Umm.. lessee... in return you have to replace your blood with.... root beer. Yes, root beer. And you must attend a Creature Council meeting and buy them all dinner.

Azlan

Quote from: Kenji on March 07, 2007, 10:33:40 PM

And you must attend a Creature Council meeting and buy them all dinner.

Wow... that's a creepy, do you know what some of these creatures eat?

My blood is already CVDP... will that do?

Kenji

Quote from: Azlan on March 07, 2007, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: Kenji on March 07, 2007, 10:33:40 PM

And you must attend a Creature Council meeting and buy them all dinner.

Wow... that's a creepy, do you know what some of these creatures eat?

My blood is already CVDP... will that do?

Yes. Yes it will. In fact, that sets you up at a very high level. However, now many beings and creatures will hunt you down in hopes of drinking your blood.

ShadesFox

There must be at least one mind control episode in that arc. 

And what is wrong with people just knowing it?  I mean, how did you learn how to dream?  Isn't it strange how we all take that in stride?
"Hey, are you going to be at the bar tonight?"
"No, I'm going to pass out for a few hours, hallucinate vividly, then forget the whole thing."

It obviously involves an epic struggle to find answers.  An epic involving friendship, cherry pie, and the human condition.

Mm... blood, give it to me Azzy!
The All Purpose Fox

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 07, 2007, 09:52:28 PM
Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 09:03:54 PMLostlakian

Well, Latin was named for the inhabitants of Latium, an area of about 700 square miles.  At its greatest extent, the Roman Empire (official language: Latin) spanned 2.5 million square miles.

I only mean the Lost Lake area.  It's certainly plausible that Lost Lake might be part of a larger region named after it.

I think we're overanalyzing this.  (And if *I* think we're overanalyzing...)  I just wanted confirmation on the name of the language...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on March 07, 2007, 10:41:53 PM
There must be at least one mind control episode in that arc. 

And what is wrong with people just knowing it?  I mean, how did you learn how to dream?  Isn't it strange how we all take that in stride?
"Hey, are you going to be at the bar tonight?"
"No, I'm going to pass out for a few hours, hallucinate vividly, then forget the whole thing."

It obviously involves an epic struggle to find answers to.  An epic involving friendship, cherry pie, and the human condition.

Naw, I think it should involve reverse engineering the brain.

uh huh uh huh... I'm pretty fly for a fox-guy.

KarlOmega1

James, you lucky squirrel! High five!

ok...now I have a question...would thinking like a Junkion* cause a cubi to go "What the heck?!" when it's nearby?

(*Junkion, referrence to the old G1 Transformers and old Transformers the movie...Junkions derive their speech from television, so they sound like a blend of commercials and tv shows)
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 07, 2007, 09:52:28 PM
Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 09:03:54 PMLostlakian

Well, Latin was named for the inhabitants of Latium, an area of about 700 square miles.  At its greatest extent, the Roman Empire (official language: Latin) spanned 2.5 million square miles.

I only mean the Lost Lake area.  It's certainly plausible that Lost Lake might be part of a larger region named after it.

I think we're overanalyzing this.  (And if *I* think we're overanalyzing...)  I just wanted confirmation on the name of the language...
But isn't lost lake just the inn/tavern? That's what it seems to say in the cast page.

Madmann135

I have a question to ask.  What if your someone like me and this happens.

standing at a bus stop.  Notices someone out of the corner of my eye and I think this.
"...who's that? don't care.  Wonder if he can hear my thoughts?  Probably not.  can you hear me now?  Can you hear me now?  CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!?  WHERE'S THE BLOODY BUS!!?  good grief, I've been here to long where's the cursed bus."  and that about where I start thinking of a song that never seems to end. 

And that's the process of my thoughts, so much random stuff that my brain doesn't stop.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 08, 2007, 12:25:09 AMBut isn't lost lake just the inn/tavern? That's what it seems to say in the cast page.

There's a lake there, too, you know.  Some places specify that if the surface area is less than 200 square km, it's not a lake, but a pond.  Assuming that the region extends for one mile surrounding the lake (and a circular lake and a circular surrounding region), that makes it a little over 100 square miles.  Not a bad geographical feature.

Azraelle

Oh I thought you meant me, and I was thinking, "The last time I posted in this thread was waaaay back on the first page," and I doubt anyone remembers it.

Anywho, it doesn't really matter on the language thing.  It's like in Star Wars.  They don't speak "English," they speak "Basic."  The movie just shows them speaking in English so we would understand them.  Otherwise, every line of dialog would need subtitles.

ShadesFox

Quote from: Azraelle on March 08, 2007, 01:06:54 AM

Oh I thought you meant me, and I was thinking, "The last time I posted in this thread was waaaay back on the first page," and I doubt anyone remembers it.

Two Azzies that I need blood from?  Double the fun!
The All Purpose Fox

LionHeart

Quote from: Azraelle on March 08, 2007, 01:06:54 AM
Anywho, it doesn't really matter on the language thing.  It's like in Star Wars.  They don't speak "English," they speak "Basic."  The movie just shows them speaking in English so we would understand them.  Otherwise, every line of dialog would need subtitles.

Much like the similar convention in Star Trek,, where everyone speaks "Federation Standard".

Of course the universal translators are so capable that they can translate any language, even from a species they've never encountered before.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 01:03:55 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 08, 2007, 12:25:09 AMBut isn't lost lake just the inn/tavern? That's what it seems to say in the cast page.

There's a lake there, too, you know.  Some places specify that if the surface area is less than 200 square km, it's not a lake, but a pond.  Assuming that the region extends for one mile surrounding the lake (and a circular lake and a circular surrounding region), that makes it a little over 100 square miles.  Not a bad geographical feature.
Nobody lives in a lake. At least, not any land dwelling types.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 07, 2007, 09:03:54 PM
I am actually asking because I'm having a character in my story (real soon now, I promise) who is a professor of what we would call English.  But is it English or Furrae or Lostlakian or...what?

Is that English literature or English language?  Because if it's literature, you could just call them a 'professor of literature' and keep it nice and ambiguous.

Anyway, the choice is up to you, but I'm assuming they're talking English for mine.

Oh... how about Wildy's fake Australian accent in 269-270 when she discovers Jyrras is a Kangaroo rat?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

Maybe at lost lake everybody speaks basic, simple or this strip will be like a foreign film damn I hate those films. >:3

Kasarn

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 08, 2007, 03:00:23 AM
Nobody lives in a lake. At least, not any land dwelling types.

We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake. :<

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 08, 2007, 03:00:23 AMNobody lives in a lake. At least, not any land dwelling types.

Well, nobody lives on mountains, either, but that's the major defining feature of Latium.  Chautauqua is named for the lake, but there's a nationwide Chautauqua movement named after it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2007, 05:02:22 AMIs that English literature or English language?  Because if it's literature, you could just call them a 'professor of literature' and keep it nice and ambiguous.

No, it's specifically historical English (or whatever it's called).

Quote from: Kasarn on March 08, 2007, 07:40:59 AMWe were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake. :<

Right!  I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing ``yes sir I can boogie.''

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 10:00:37 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2007, 05:02:22 AMIs that English literature or English language?  Because if it's literature, you could just call them a 'professor of literature' and keep it nice and ambiguous.

How about 'Language History' then?  Expand their field to include other languages, like the weird one the demon at the beach party was speaking...

GabrielsThoughts

Look, I'm not wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts...

Just repeat to yourelf its just a comic, you should really just relax.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 10:00:37 AM

You could call his a professor of etymology. (that being the study of how words evolved)
Though Tapewolf's suggestion is pretty darn good too.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

GabrielsThoughts

we only assume the human spoke english and not sme obscure language like french, or german.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 08, 2007, 03:10:07 PM
we only assume the human spoke english and not some obscure language like french, or german.
I'd be interested to hear the German or French equivalent of "G'Day mate!" from 269...

**EDIT**
If ever I refer to the language in CJP or Future History, I'll probably call it "the common tongue" or something like that.