03/06/07 [Cubi02] Mind reading 2

Started by AndersW, March 06, 2007, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2007, 03:14:30 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 08, 2007, 03:10:07 PM
we only assume the human spoke english and not some obscure language like french, or german.
I'd be interested to hear the German or French equivalent of "G'Day mate!" from 269...

**EDIT**
If ever I refer to the language in CJP or Future History, I'll probably call it "the common tongue" or something like that.

The folks at Lost Lake speak Gododian, the language of their God.   :mowwink

With regards,
Ted

Manawolf

Random fact semi-related to the subject: English in the Star Wars universe is known as Galactic Basic.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ted Schiller on March 08, 2007, 04:34:01 PM
The folks at Lost Lake speak Gododian, the language of their God.   :mowwink
Until his near-death in the DvP arc, (where he becomes a born-again Christian?), Dan always said "Oh my gods".  So does that mean they are polylingual?  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 08, 2007, 02:41:41 PMYou could call his a professor of etymology. (that being the study of how words evolved)
Though Tapewolf's suggestion is pretty darn good too.

Etymology is the study of how specific words evolved.  What I'm talking about are things like grammar and syntax.  And historical events like the Great Vowel Shift or the rise of initialisms (did you know that acronyms by and large didn't exist in the English language until the 19th century?).

Historical linguistics would seem to cover it, but he's not going to know any other languages (except perhaps dead languages).  You could call him a Chauvinist, except that he'd hate the concept of being associated with Nicholas Chauvin.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 08, 2007, 03:10:07 PMwe only assume the human spoke english and not sme obscure language like french, or german.

How are French and German obscure?

Quote from: Ted Schiller on March 08, 2007, 04:34:01 PMThe folks at Lost Lake speak Gododian, the language of their God.   :mowwink

``Nothing to be done.''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 07:42:07 PM
Historical linguistics would seem to cover it, but he's not going to know any other languages (except perhaps dead languages).
Is there any reason he doesn't know the Mythos language in #193?  IMHO he's not going to make a very good linguist if he only knows one language and has nothing to compare it against.  (Although you seem to be implying the reason is a personality flaw.)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Yukifox

Quote from: Manawolf on March 08, 2007, 04:35:33 PM
Random fact semi-related to the subject: English in the Star Wars universe is known as Galactic Basic.

"Galactic Basic, Rekcofrehtum! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"