Question: prehistoric-based beings in Furrae?

Started by ardaron, March 01, 2007, 07:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardaron

If this question's been asked before, feel free to smite me once for every time it's come up, but I have to know; can beings in Furrae be based on prehistoric creatures?  I.e., are there dinosaur- and saber-toothed-cat-based beings wandering around somewhere?  If so, why haven't they ever appeared in the comic; do they have their own separate civilizations, or are they just really rare?  (Or did Amber just not feel like drawing them?)  And if not, did they exist at one point and then go extinct (much like their real-world counterparts :lol), or has Furrae simply always been free of dinosaurs and saber-toothed cats?

Zedd

Urg ogg ooga booga...Amb-Urg will will tell..soon....*flys out walking on my knuckles*

Amber Williams

It's just never crossed my mind to be honest.

ardaron

So I actually asked a totally original question?  Cool!

Well, now that it has crossed your mind, might you be able to make up an answer?  You are the supreme creator, after all; whatever you say goes.  *whispers under her breath, "Please say yes please say yes please say yes"*  :eager

Um, I mean, I didn't say anything.  I'm not trying to influence your decisions about your comic in any way.

Aisha deCabre

A pretty good question I also think, actually...though since Furrae has a lot of wierd and interesting creatures running around, I'm not surprised that a few might be based like that...maybe not dinosaurs.  Some of them would rival the mega-freaking huge gryphons in size...  :rolleyes

Or at least otherwise recently-extinct creatures.  I have a succubus character whose species is one might recognize as a thylacine.   :shifty
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Amber Williams

While I might be able to make up an answer, at this time I'm going to hold back and think on the subject.  DMFA's world is already all sorts of wickety-wack and I don't want to just throw random things in without any thought.

I will flat out say dinosaurs of large proportion are more than likely not existing.  When you have giant dragons and gryphons mucking about, the last thing the world needs is dinosaurs stomping about.  As for being-sized, I'm not really sure. I confess I'm not really a big dinosaur buff so I don't know enough about them to really give them a special classification.  Odds are some mythos would look similar to certain types of dinosaurs, and its possible that some beings or creatures altered their looks to be more saber-toothed.

However if there are prehistoric creatures or beings, they wouldn't really be considered prehistoric so much as just a uniquely shaped reptile or different type of cat with extra big fangs.  There wouldn't be any special civilizations unless they are Mythos.

This is all in the hypothetical granted, as I just said I never thought on the subject before.  And its likely the subject may never be looked too deeply into in DMFA itself.  But considering the world, I wouldn't be suprised if there are some types that look similar to certain dinosaurs or ice-age mammals.  Just keep in mind it doesn't make them anymore special other than their aesthetics.

ardaron

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 01, 2007, 09:05:42 PM
While I might be able to make up an answer, at this time I'm going to hold back and think on the subject.  DMFA's world is already all sorts of wickety-wack and I don't want to just throw random things in without any thought.

I will flat out say dinosaurs of large proportion are more than likely not existing.  When you have giant dragons and gryphons mucking about, the last thing the world needs is dinosaurs stomping about.  As for being-sized, I'm not really sure. I confess I'm not really a big dinosaur buff so I don't know enough about them to really give them a special classification.  Odds are some mythos would look similar to certain types of dinosaurs, and its possible that some beings or creatures altered their looks to be more saber-toothed.

However if there are prehistoric creatures or beings, they wouldn't really be considered prehistoric so much as just a uniquely shaped reptile or different type of cat with extra big fangs.  There wouldn't be any special civilizations unless they are Mythos.

This is all in the hypothetical granted, as I just said I never thought on the subject before.  And its likely the subject may never be looked too deeply into in DMFA itself.  But considering the world, I wouldn't be suprised if there are some types that look similar to certain dinosaurs or ice-age mammals.  Just keep in mind it doesn't make them anymore special other than their aesthetics.

A lot of what you mention were things I had just sort of assumed as givens; it seemed logical to me that dinosaur-beings ought to be being-sized, and that they wouldn't be considered as any different from any other beings (after all, why would they be?).  And, now that you mention it, a separate civilization for them doesn't make a lot of sense; I was sort of just throwing that out there as a possible reason they might not be in the comic.

Dinosauroid mythos would be neat; I hadn't even thought of that possibility.

As for your last sentence, aesthetics was really all I was wondering about in the first place.

Okay, I'll leave you alone so you can think about it.  Thank you very much for answering my question (well, close enough to make me happy), and if you ever happen to need a dinosaur buff, I'm at your service.  I'm pretty sure I'm the resident expert on all things prehistoric on these forums.