2007/02/21 Sonnet 18

Started by superluser, February 20, 2007, 10:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilvan the Storyweaver

Quote from: Gabi on February 21, 2007, 05:47:40 AM
I like spiders too. But well, the thing about phobias is that they're irrational. You won't be able to find a logical explanation.

Thats not necessarily true, a significant portion of Phobias have a very good explanation to them.

Real Example: I have Hemophobia (Fear of Blood), I have this phobia because of a rather traumatic event that involved blood in the past.

Theoretical Examples: Having a Phobia of Dogs because you were attacked by one before.  Having a fear of large bodies of water because you almost drowned once, etc...

So, although some Phobias are completely unfounded, a great deal of them aren't.

As for the comic: Even though Abel looks really freaked out, he is still freaking sexy in that panel.  Course, when is there a time when Abel isn't sexy?  And Dan in the first panel is a combination of "OMG BISHIE!!!" and "HOLY SHIT DAN's BEING MATURE!!!!"

Dard

Quote from: Tilvan the Storyweaver on February 21, 2007, 06:53:45 AMThats not necessarily true, a significant portion of Phobias have a very good explanation to them.

Real Example: I have Hemophobia (Fear of Blood), I have this phobia because of a rather traumatic event that involved blood in the past.
So, although some Phobias are completely unfounded, a great deal of them aren't.
Having a logical explanation is different from having an explanation at all. Of course there are often reasons for phobias (for example traumatic events) but they are rarely logical for having a trauma.

I have a great fear of heights. Not exactly a phobia, but close. I can cite a number of explanations how I came to this fear, but none of them are logical.
Besides, living where I do, I have yet to find anybody who has a deep fear of spiders who could give me a reason for it, be it logical or otherwise.

Back on-topic: Is this "compare thee to a summer day" a quote or something that I should know?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dard, it's Shakespeare.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Sonnet 18, as listed in the thread topic.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Akisohida

Heey! Abel is stealing my girlfriend!

And as for spiders being fuzzy and cute; yes I am! ;)

I like seeing Dan mature, Wildy anytime, and Abel being hit on by a spider...Just not my girlfriend! :cry
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on February 21, 2007, 01:14:39 AM
This would be a perfect chance to bring in this character.

:D

Akisohida...Give up on that two timer.. Maybe you should try dating this character above .. She's a little closer to your size., but maybe a little bigger.  (mmmm I know I don't your size.)  Well, you guys seem to be from the same planet, so you have that much going for you.

PBH

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's ok, PBH - the female of the species is more deadly than the male...

... and usually a little larger. I'm sure they'd get on like a house on fire.

(You know, screams, flames, people running away... :) )

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 21, 2007, 09:05:59 AM

(You know, screams, flames, people running away... :) )

Yea, But only when they are hungry do they give chase...

But really the spider on Abel's shoulder is what about 4 inch tall... The female's of Akisohida's kind are as bigger as a Clydesdale, and the Queen is bigger than that...So Akisohida is about the size a a quarter horse, if he is on the short side.  A little big to have a girlfriend the size of a mouse.  But beings and dragons make a go at romance....:love2   So, who am I to said anything?

PBH

Dard

Hmm, I'm afraid Shakespeare's work other than his plays never impressed me much. I haven't heard of the Sonnett 18.
But I guess I could have known to use a search engine...

EvilIguana966

Mmmm.  Wildy fanservice.  We approve.

Bunnaroo

Quote from: Evil.Iguana on February 21, 2007, 09:44:43 AM
Mmmm.  Wildy fanservice.  We approve.
Ditto. String bikinis and a well supportive bra (two clasps). Obviously going for practical rather than sechs-ee. Unfortunately, it's only from the back. I have to admire her anatomy, as her tail seems to flow from the small of her back, as opposed to being "stuck-on". Words cannot express how technically proficient that looks...

??? I was wanting to see what Biggs drew on her face, too.

Akisohida

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on February 21, 2007, 08:59:57 AM
Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on February 21, 2007, 01:14:39 AM
This would be a perfect chance to bring in this character.

:D

Akisohida...Give up on that two timer.. Maybe you should try dating this character above .. She's a little closer to your size., but maybe a little bigger.  (mmmm I know I don't your size.)  Well, you guys seem to be from the same planet, so you have that much going for you.

PBH

Keep in mind, I am horrid with humbers but the origonal concept of Aki had the bottom of his abdomen about 2 1/2 feet off the ground and his head is about six feet off the ground. Probably not in proportion but, again, I am 'teh suck' with numbers. :) I always picture Aki as large enough to give one grown fur or two childs rides but not overly huge. ^.^
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Bunnaroo on February 21, 2007, 10:00:29 AM
??? I was wanting to see what Biggs drew on her face, too.

... We may still do so. It depends on how well it comes off... :-)

iownpants

Now my wonderful dreams of Wildy will be interrupted by Shakespearian Arachnid nightmares!  Poor Abel, why can't he just understand that the spiders are his friends.
Huh... that would be a cool band name.  Now we present: Shakespearian Arachnid Nightmares :ipod

Zedd

Belive me...I know theres gonna be a punchline hit to this all...Just like when Spears gave herself a nice clean scalp :)

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 21, 2007, 11:35:21 AM

... We may still do so. It depends on how well it comes off... :-)

Permanent markers will not come off IF she is using Soap and water only...
:mwaha

And Akisohida: Now, you have me trying to figure out just how tall and big your character is to Amber's characters and their height to everyone else.....mmm The queen look like 4 ft to 5 ft her thorax and her abdomen is 6ft in diameter, which puts her head at 8-10 ft off the ground.  mmm..I will have to get back to you on this. .... Levicel is 2/3-3/4 the queen's height, but only 1/2 her size....

:mowdizzy
PBH

Akisohida

Quote from: iownpants on February 21, 2007, 11:42:52 AM
Now my wonderful dreams of Wildy will be interrupted by Shakespearian Arachnid nightmares!  Poor Abel, why can't he just understand that the spiders are his friends.
Huh... that would be a cool band name.  Now we present: Shakespearian Arachnid Nightmares :ipod

We raiseith the roof..four times at once! :kirby

superluser

Quote from: Bunnaroo on February 21, 2007, 10:00:29 AM
Quote from: Evil.Iguana on February 21, 2007, 09:44:43 AMMmmm.  Wildy fanservice.  We approve.
Ditto. String bikinis and a well supportive bra (two clasps). Obviously going for practical rather than sechs-ee.

Er, is it just me, or does anyone else find that calling Wildy's appearance in the strip `fanservice' is a little creepy?  I mean, she's just cleaning up in her bathroom, not stripping.  I'm still trying to figure out the fanservice in 699 (thread).

Next thing you know, you'll be commenting on the fanservice in 550.  (That abbreviation is totally salacious)

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 21, 2007, 11:35:21 AM... We may still do so. It depends on how well it comes off... :-)

``Here's the smell of the ink still. All the solvents
of Alexsi's inn will not restore this little face. Oh, oh, oh!''

She might be washing off all the hair that she just shaved.
(Edit: Zedd, you may have ninja'd me today, but I think I have you beat)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Bunnaroo

Quote from: superluser on February 21, 2007, 11:58:40 AM
Er, is it just me, or does anyone else find that calling Wildy's appearance in the strip `fanservice' is a little creepy?  I mean, she's just cleaning up in her bathroom, not stripping. 
By definition, "fanservice" is the showing of a character the fans want to see in a "provocative" way. The definition of "provocative" differs, but it could be as simple as a male character removing his shirt because it's covered with mud, or a female character getting doused with soda. I remember one joke in A Doemain of Our Own where the artist makes a fanservice joke about Sue bending over to collect something from the floor. (All we could see was her hind end and tail on the bottom of the frame.)

Some of us furverts would find looking in on a certain ferret as she's cleaning up as fanservice, especially if we could see without the fear of losing portions of our anatomy.

Let me guess, Superluster, you never tried climbing a tree to peek in on someone in the bathroom? Made an attempt to sneak a peek inside the girl's locker room? "Accidentally" walked in on someone changing? (For those of you who think I might have attempted any of the above, I'm not telling either way!)

superluser

Quote from: Bunnaroo on February 21, 2007, 01:01:16 PMBy definition, "fanservice" is the showing of a character the fans want to see in a "provocative" way. The definition of "provocative" differs, but it could be as simple as a male character removing his shirt because it's covered with mud, or a female character getting doused with soda. I remember one joke in A Doemain of Our Own where the artist makes a fanservice joke about Sue bending over to collect something from the floor. (All we could see was her hind end and tail on the bottom of the frame.)

The examples above (Ooh!  My shirt is so dirty!  I guess I have to take it off) are certainly fanservice.  It's gratuitous beef/cheesecake which would not be expected to happen in the real world.

If I were scrubbing my face trying to get permanent marker out, I would certainly take off my shirt.  If I were wearing pants that I wanted to wear outside later, I'd probably take those off, too.  I just don't think that this is fanservice.

Quote from: Bunnaroo on February 21, 2007, 01:01:16 PMLet me guess, Superluster, you never tried climbing a tree to peek in on someone in the bathroom? Made an attempt to sneak a peek inside the girl's locker room? "Accidentally" walked in on someone changing? (For those of you who think I might have attempted any of the above, I'm not telling either way!)

Like I said, creepy (and I'll add voyeur).

Also, there is no `t' in superluser.  (Per Luster?)

Prof B Hunnydew

In comics and other visual media, Fanservice only counts if the fans see something...

Beefcake--Abel's panty and Dan's nice Chest
cheesecake-- Cubi01 and this thread's comic

But you may not think of a panties shots is Fan-service.

:mowhappy

PBH

Zedd

Bam...Three words...Cut it out :) *Dave Coulier ref*

Prof B Hunnydew

What 

The example of Beefcake or cheesecake?

Really, This forum services all fans reguardless of species, race, gender, or sexual orientation, so long as it is within the rules of this forum....MMM

Okay, Pai gon, I'll stop.  Back to the Shakespearian Spiders... Pls

PBH

Zedd

*blushes* Its just thinking of Beefcakes me go think of Tim or nice sliced carved chizeled boys...*rubs a circle on the desk slowly with a finger*

Stygian

[walks into the thread shirtless]

Alas, this is getting out of hand! Our wishes are truly farther to the thought, and I would very much wish some people here tongue-tied, that this progress away from mere banter and dissent.

True it is that Wildy hath removed her clothes, but it is but a back shot, with her decency still easily safe and assured by undergarments and towel. And if you should think this in any way to be indecent - why, be that as it may, the more fool you! In this I agree with Superluser, whole and fully.

As for prying and peeping, to that sort of folley and foul behaviour, I can only say that it is an eyesore upon this thread that you speak of it that way. And so, I bid you good riddance, sir.

[bows and walks out]

The LizardKing

Awwwww... who doesn't love spiders? heck, when i'm doing the vacuuming I dust around the spiderwebs. They're among the only type of insecty (i.e. with six or more legs) thing which i respect (apart from dragonflys, ladybugs, walking sticks, and honeybees). I've got a large spider hanging over the foot of my bed. Spideracists.
But yeah, Wildy in a bra. I didn't know she wore them anymore.  ;)
And that's onenice spider. It glows.
Abel's Mind: "17 6|_0\/\/5! 17'5 73|-| 3\/1|_!!!!" (It glows! it's evil!)
And that's all folks. the end of the arc. :<
\/\/|-|0'5 |\|3X7? :spidey

.....\/\/1|-DY'5 |-|07.

Boog

So, would this be the source of Abel's phobia or a side effect of it? Now that I look, his headwings do have a sort of spiderish quality to them. The batlike parts spines look sorta like spider legs, etc.

Prof B Hunnydew

Well, I don't know about that.. but whose been teaching spiders to talk anyway, or read for that matter?   Sure, culture will do anyone good, I think...of course it will not stop your evil side, but it gives you character.

:mowhappy
PBH

Bunnaroo

Quote from: Stygian on February 21, 2007, 03:55:14 PM
As for prying and peeping, to that sort of folley and foul behaviour, I can only say that it is an eyesore upon this thread that you speak of it that way. And so, I bid you good riddance, sir.
I'm confused. I was referring to the antics of certain young males, a rank of which I no longer qualify. Are you saying such prying and peeping is foul, or are you encouraging it?

It's just possible that my mind is a bit dirty, and needs to be washed...

Quote from: superluser on February 21, 2007, 01:36:11 PMAlso, there is no `t' in superluser.  (Per Luster?)
Oops, I thought your name was a reference to brightly polished things. It must have been bad eyesight. Getting old, you know...

superluser

Quote from: Stygian on February 21, 2007, 03:55:14 PMTrue it is that Wildy hath removed her clothes, but it is but a back shot, with her decency still easily safe and assured by undergarments and towel. And if you should think this in any way to be indecent - why, be that as it may, the more fool you! In this I agree with Superluser, whole and fully.

:erk Are we in agreement?  I think that's a sign of the apocalypse, or something.  Quickly, what's something that we can disagree about?

Uh...(points) That's not iambic pentameter!

Stygian

[zips back in]

I do not hold grudges, good sir. So stop that. And there is no need for rhyme. If the good Shakespeare did not always need it, then neither do I. I voice my opinion, and that is it, no matter what you and certain others may think...

Oh, and yes, I was saying that your mind is dirty, Bun.