'Furrae Project' FAQ thread

Started by tkg, February 24, 2007, 10:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkg

(While I could've been digging up a more or less dead thread over at the DMFA forum, I decided to just start a new one here instead... hope that is okay with you guys (mods in particular). This FAQ will also be crossposted to our project sites.)

As there has been some confusion about what the various sites at the project's disposal are currently (or are going to be) used for, I will try to explain it in detail here, along with other tidbits of information about the project in general. Note that this FAQ/help document is by no means complete, and will be updated from time to time.

Date of current edition: 24/02/07

Q1: "What's this project all about?"

A1: The project (tentatively named 'Project F') is an endeavour to employ Amber's world of Furrae into a more-or-less goal-oriented interactive 3D environment (aka "A Computer Game™"). The game is looking to be an open-ended role playing game, which will envelop a rich and dynamical world for the player to roam about in.

Q2: "Who is behind it?"

A2: A small group of people entitled 'Team Furrae', which was coined on 19/09/06 by a number of DMFA fans at the Clockwork Mansion Forums.

Q3: "I just joined the project. Where do I go, how do I get in, and what do I use it for?"

A3: We currently operate at three different locations around the web:

- 'Basecamp' - our main project site. Meeting schedules, announcements and task assignments (in due time) can be found here. Project updates will be sent out at least once a week, so please ensure that your email address is entered correctly in your Basecamp profile. First-time login instructions are given out upon enrollment.

- Sub-forum at the 'Crystaltopia forums' - our main discussion site (found under the 'Miscellaneous' section). While the message feature at Basecamp is used mostly for announcements, this can be used for more serious discussions. Also, summaries from our 'Campfire' (see below) sessions will be stored here. Requires an account at Crystaltopia (please use a nickname that is recognizable from either CMF or Basecamp) - after signing up, access to the project sub-forum will be granted ASAP.

- 'Campfire' - our chat client. This is basically used for hosting meetings, as well as more regular chat sessions. While meeting attendancy is not required, you are strongly encouraged to join in if you find your name and/or group listed in the meeting's description (which can be found at Basecamp). To log in, type in the same email address and password that you use when logging in to Basecamp. Note that the software apparently doesn't like Opera or older versions of IE - Firefox, Safari or IE 7 is thus recommended.

Still wonder about something that this FAQ didn't help you jack squat with? Please don't hesitate - either PM me or just make a post in this thread, and I'll do my best to accommodate.

bill

Wrong section.  :B Good job not gravedigging, though.

Gabi

I don't quite get it. What's the project about?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on February 24, 2007, 11:37:08 AM

A computer game set in Amber's universe.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

tkg

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 24, 2007, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: Gabi on February 24, 2007, 11:37:08 AM

A computer game set in Amber's universe.

Indeed. Also, reading a few of the first posts made in this thread could give you some more insight as for what it's basically about, although there has of course been several changes to that initial idea since this was posted. I'll include a project summary in the FAQ some time later today (but right now, there's dinner to be made/consumed :)).