The works of geniuses (OOC; call for interest, etc)

Started by Boog, February 17, 2007, 12:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

There was a little place that's now known to all as Changedland. Once, it was a major center of the scientific community. Three cities and many miles of wilderness, and all littered with being research centers. They said it was a land where knowledge flowed like water, where people prospered, where the future came faster than anywhere else in the world.
They made the future come too fast. They overshot the golden age and went straight into armageddon.
Oct. 13, a friday, people started losing contact with the labs. There were explosions, losses of communication equipment, safety measures in the labs, lives... It was as if every Chernobyl that would ever occur did, all in that area. Investigation and rescue teams were sent in. Casualty reports came back out. Eventually, the world forgot changedland, assuming there were no survivors and pretending that the place had never existed. The world has a habit of giving up rather easily.
They were, of course, wrong. Things made in those labs survived, and what few survivors rebuild a sort of civilization. Small bands of survivors became large ones. Small bands of experiments became large ones. In some cases, what few bands weren't noticably insane, experiments or survivors, even banded together to make almost towns. Creatures had a hard time of things, as whatever had happened had weakened the power of magic in Changedland. It was assumed most scientists were either killed in the incidents or by survivors who were peeved with their predicament.
Our story starts in what was once twelve buildings that were part of a closed community; Morningdawn Square. 276 people now live there, with the Neighborhood Assosiation making the big desicions and a big iron fence keeping out the more dangerous experiments. Out of those 276 people, 37 are experiments. They keep in touch with two neighboring bands; the brothers of the Sterile three blocks away, and the Guildsmen of the next city over. It is a nice, quiet place. Then one day, a stranger arrives with startling news, and many things change...

This RP is an idea I've been toying around with for quite some time, and is to be set in furrae. The rules are nothing new; play nice, don't munchkin, play well, have fun. Failure to do these will probably result in the storyline making sure you do. Please post a character bio with history, appearance, personality, age, sex, and any other quirks that you see fit to add. If you have any questions, ask them. Enjoy!

Arcalane

Interesting idea, I must say. Reminds me of Fallout.

Shame there's no guns in Furrae, or it'd be perfect for a Fallout-esque situation! <_< >_>

(It's hard to be menacing with a crossbow, dammit)

Boog

Mmm, I dunno. There are some more advanced technologies in furrae like cars and suchlike. Why not guns?

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Boogeyman on February 18, 2007, 07:44:33 PM
Mmm, I dunno. There are some more advanced technologies in furrae like cars and suchlike. Why not guns?

There are guns. In Wildy's spy story.

Therefore at least the _idea_ of guns exists in furrae.

Wait... More than that. In Jy's lab there was some sort of machine gun.

Arcalane

Amber's said before that there's no guns herself, so if this was a strictly Furrae setting, there probably wouldn't be any. On the other hand... :P

I have a profile in the works at the moment that should prove interesting.

Boog

Awesome! Anywho, yes, hadn't heard about the guns rule, that one's bent for this RP. As for profiles, they should be something like this:

Name and alias':
Appearance
Personality:
History:
Other details of note:

Arcalane

Any other limitations/lack thereof on technology one should be aware of?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on February 18, 2007, 09:19:35 PM

Amber's said before that there's no guns herself, so if this was a strictly Furrae setting, there probably wouldn't be any. On the other hand... :P

DMFA also has interplanar travel, so imports are not out of the question.   

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 05:34:49 AMDMFA also has interplanar travel, so imports are not out of the question.

Reliable sources of ammunition, however, are. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on February 22, 2007, 06:18:12 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 05:34:49 AMDMFA also has interplanar travel, so imports are not out of the question.
Reliable sources of ammunition, however, are. :P

Buckshot?  You could still use a crossbow for sniping.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Boog

Quote from: Sheridan on February 22, 2007, 05:30:10 AM
Any other limitations/lack thereof on technology one should be aware of?
My understanding of furrae tech was pretty much modern day. As much of that as was able to be salvaged after the labs started going crazy.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The other side of the menace thing is...

.. it's not the gun that's menacing. It's the guy holding it. Take Waylander, for example - carries a small double pistol crossbow, and can hit the eye of a frog from the other side of the pond... but it's not his accuracy, but his air of lethality that carries the day.

And if you've got a crossbow, there's the variants on that - from pistol sized, with accuracy of 50m or less, all the way up to the big crossbows (or arbalest) that can hit a target at 500m, and ballista, which the Romans used to good effect, which can nail someone to a wall a half mile away.

Wikipedia seems to agree with me, but is a bit vague about ranges... Personally, I like the idea of level-cocking a crossbow, which would work, I think, rather well. Particularly if you have a multi-cock action, meaning three lever pulls to fully cock the bow... for one bolt. Slow, but lets you put a heck of a lot more force into it...

Just my thoughts. Anything for More Power. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tiny crested flint

Boog

Of course! It's not like we're going to run out of space for experiment NPCs, there's thirty freaking seven of them! *sorry, took a while to notice people actually taking interest in this*