Abel 2007-02-03: The cameo charaters are dead

Started by Meech, February 02, 2007, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RushFox

EEK!  :erk

That's just brutal! I was going to make a joke about "death by nosebleed" but I know you guys like Devin too much to appreciate the humor. I like him too...  :cry

This is a extremely dark story considering Amber's normal works, which fall along the line of cute and funny. Poor Abel had to suffer through all this. No wonder he wants to be alone all the time...

As an aside, I really believe that when Abel and Kria meet up in the main storyline, it's going to be nuts, plot-wise. So many possibilities...

katzklaw

QuoteBut that wouldn't explain why she knows Abel has wings...

she never said Able had wings... all she said was "Are you aware of the condition of the third member of your party" (or some such)  that could have meant anything...

now that i've gone back and looked at it... i agree with the thought that Glory was blind from the start.  in the panel where she and Devin are facing each other, he's looking down at her, she's staring blankly at something close to his waist.

superluser

Quote from: katzklaw on February 03, 2007, 12:00:02 AMin the panel where she and Devin are facing each other, he's looking down at her, she's staring blankly at something close to his waist.

I don't like the idea for some rather deep-seated reasons, but I will admit that it's possible.  I would think that Glory would be looking up somewhere nearer Devin.  If she were truly looking straight ahead, that would be about 30 degrees off of Devin's face.

If you look more carefully, she actually is looking up.  Following her gaze, she appears to be looking at Devin's...lips?  Was there something going on between these two?

Also!  If Glory knew that Abel was an incubus, wouldn't she have said something along the lines of, ``Well, the wings coming out of his back, yes.  But what about the wings coming out of his head?''

Quote from: Zedd on February 02, 2007, 11:57:29 PMWell the wind will blend along and cross the plains the harmony of us cubi all will speak of bloodshed,horror,and sadness of this young boys happyness pulled away from him much like a piece of paper while burning hard as the cosmos of space!

Barkeep!  One of whatever Zedd's having.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zina

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 12:10:36 AM
Following her gaze, she appears to be looking at Devin's...lips?  Was there something going on between these two?

You are thinking WAY too much into it.
I mean, why is this even an issue? The way Amber colored Glory's eyes is typically the way people normal show 'blindness' in characters. Glory was blind the entire time.

Talonr

I would think that the dead silloutte is the other cameo character *Kammi?  Is that her name?  I can't say I'm too certain* judging by the fact that the profile of the face is humanoid-shaped, not a muzzle.  Kammi did not have a muzzle, she had an actual nose and mouth, it is one of the things I noticed about her design immediatly.

I'd say the profile matches up with her ears and hair just fine, you just have to realize that you're looking at them in certain angles, and since all you can see is the black outline, you'll lose details.  I'm partially tempted to try and make a sketch of it just to provide a visual. :/

Manawolf

We're a little thrown off in that Glory's eyes are pale blue, instead of grey, which is how most people show that a character is blind.

superluser

Quote from: Zina on February 03, 2007, 12:14:29 AM
Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 12:10:36 AMFollowing her gaze, she appears to be looking at Devin's...lips?  Was there something going on between these two?

I will note that I was being silly when I suggested that there was something going on.

Quote from: Talonr on February 03, 2007, 12:16:58 AMI'd say the profile matches up with her ears and hair just fine, you just have to realize that you're looking at them in certain angles, and since all you can see is the black outline, you'll lose details.  I'm partially tempted to try and make a sketch of it just to provide a visual.

Natural position of Kammi's ears.  In Abel's Arc, they're straight out, and curving a little forward.  Since she would be dead, the muscles would relax, and the ears drop down, unless she's got massive cartilage in the ears and her head is turned slightly toward the audience.  In that case, we should expect to see the other ear sticking out just past the nose, since it's that large.

Nino

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 12:43:21 AM
Quote from: Zina on February 03, 2007, 12:14:29 AM
Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 12:10:36 AMFollowing her gaze, she appears to be looking at Devin's...lips?  Was there something going on between these two?

I will note that I was being silly when I suggested that there was something going on.

Quote from: Talonr on February 03, 2007, 12:16:58 AMI'd say the profile matches up with her ears and hair just fine, you just have to realize that you're looking at them in certain angles, and since all you can see is the black outline, you'll lose details.  I'm partially tempted to try and make a sketch of it just to provide a visual.

Natural position of Kammi's ears.  In Abel's Arc, they're straight out, and curving a little forward.  Since she would be dead, the muscles would relax, and the ears drop down, unless she's got massive cartilage in the ears and her head is turned slightly toward the audience.  In that case, we should expect to see the other ear sticking out just past the nose, since it's that large.

The shadow has a human nose, it's got to be Kammi.

I also think Glory was blind from the start. Still, why would Amber put that in and then not let us know until this comic? How weird, I wonder if it has any significance.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 02, 2007, 09:50:22 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black JackalGlory DOES live, though I think she always WAS blind, now that I think about it.

Look back on previous strips, and how different her eyes are up close from everybody else's. While everybody else's has some sort of 'shine' to them, hers are a glassy, very two-dimensional shade. Just look here and compare. This means she may rely on some supernatural other sense to navigate.
That would explain why she doesn't look up at Devin while she's speaking to him.  But that wouldn't explain why she knows Abel has wings...

Actually, Glory never one said anything about wings.  She asked Devin about the "condition of his friend".  Devin responded with flippently, and Glory pretty much dropped the subject right there.  So maybe she saw Abel for what he really was.

Xuzaf D

Thumbs up for displaying those dead heros like peices of meat. I expect more great work in the future.

Zedd

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 12:10:36 AM
Barkeep!  One of whatever Zedd's having.

Quote from: Zedd on February 02, 2007, 11:57:29 PMWell the wind will blend along and cross the plains the harmony of us cubi all will speak of bloodshed,horror,and sadness of this young boys happyness pulled away from him much like a piece of paper while burning hard as the cosmos of space!

I am a poet by nature...But I was being bluntfuly honest what I ment

Fex

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 02, 2007, 09:50:22 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black JackalGlory DOES live, though I think she always WAS blind, now that I think about it.

Look back on previous strips, and how different her eyes are up close from everybody else's. While everybody else's has some sort of 'shine' to them, hers are a glassy, very two-dimensional shade. Just look here and compare. This means she may rely on some supernatural other sense to navigate.
That would explain why she doesn't look up at Devin while she's speaking to him.  But that wouldn't explain why she knows Abel has wings...

I have a little idea about that. There are some blind people who can see with sound like a bat maybe Glorya can do that to

superluser

Quote from: Zedd on February 03, 2007, 02:06:03 AMI am a poet by nature...But I was being bluntfuly honest what I ment

OK.  What did you mean by this?

Quotethis young boys happyness pulled away from him much like a piece of paper while burning hard as the cosmos of space!

I could dissect that and provide reasons why it's bad poetry, but I'd rather say that it's very creative use of words, and while I'm not sure that being able to write this way would be a good thing, I do believe that it would be a fun thing, and I'd like to be able to do it.

Cogidubnus

I would not be surprised if Glory was blind, and yet it lends such a...despair, almost, to the comic if she was not. Gut wrenching, almost.

Anri

Quote from: superluser on February 02, 2007, 11:52:05 PM
Quote from: Ink on February 02, 2007, 11:39:12 PMAlso, try checking the hairstyle of Kammi in the 'Glory's group' picture to the person nailed to the wall.

You have a good point.  Unless Kammi has more cartilage in the ears than we expect, the ears are too high and too small to be hers.

While it did take a bit of checking this out, it is her. It's just the perspective being different that throws you off. But I can tell what's what now. What you may see as back of the head, is one of the ponytails. Which also explains why it's a bit higher on the top. As for the ears, Well, I'm not sure. They look to be the right size, but sweeping back slightly. Collar is also on target.

Feather Dancer

This I suspect is why you don't let Amber cameo you for Abel, just might not come back un-zombified for a while :) Still, this ahs been showing Kria's "soft spots" as stated in her profile which has been interesting which does show nder all that rampaging there still manages to be that niggle.

Though wonder if she'll ever see Abel in the main? Talk about akward.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

"Now all his little friends are dead
But for some reason
Whatever killed them
Has never come for him"
--Joel Veitch, "A Frightened Boy"

Oh, that's rather sad.  Now I suppose we'd better see Xander's corpse again, just so we know that the demon isn't him...   >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

it's a good point that we haven't seen xander yet...

Dard

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 03, 2007, 05:13:58 AM
it's a good point that we haven't seen xander yet...
Well, it's probably just that Amber ran out of panels so I don't think it matters.

You know, I don't care how homicidal, thieving, power-mad and even sadistic characters are, as long as they have some sort of honor.
Kria seems to have some sort of honor. But not whoever she is talking to. This was very low from him. I hate him!

As for Amber's donation request: I can't help it, it seems very weird. On the one hand, Matilda talking fashion would be very cute. On the other hand, it strikes me very odd that someone is giving fashion lessons who is always nude!

Magic

Xander is dead. Why keep beating a dead horse? (To quote it bluntly, do not argue semantics here.)

Xander died in Abel's and Devin's line of sight, just beyond the cart. The attackers were coming from the other direction.

If he was the mentor, it would not explain Kria didn't see (or expect) anything in front of her; whereas the mentor came from behind her.

Besides which, it should not matter.

~

And; honour is overrated.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tycoon

I am really starting to hate Abel for his weakness. He could have saved lives if he was willing to fight.

I bet 100 brownie points that Abel will head home and will be found by an angry bunch of beings. They will know of the massacre at the outpost, see the demonic charm, and will immediately accuse Abel of the genocide. I doubt that he could fight off their accusations due to the wretched state that he is in.

The donation counter looks spiffy, though!

Oh, and Pyroduck will be annoyed to hear that the cameos are dying off, even though we heard their names http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_070.php
Seems to be breaking his rule of thumb.

Aridas

Who's to say Xander didn't die earlier, elsewhere? It's nothing to put away, and it's fun to play on. The whole "I'm a fake dead body" thing hasn't been used that much ever, has it?

MT Hazard

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the January donation image?

Didn't get around to copying it.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Is Xander really Kria's examiner?

Against

• Highly improbable - Occam's razor
  • Too many fingers
  • Wrong type of clothing
  • Abel saw him fall and began crying
  • We only saw the wrist from his corpse - he could be too badly kibbled for Amber to show

For

• Highly improbable - Amber's razor
  • Looks like a demon with the red eyes (remember the forum chat when he first appeared?)
  • Disappeared for an hour or so as soon as the party reached the fortress, came back claiming it was deserted and with some story about a lantern causing all the smoke
  • Conveniently disappeared again immediately before the attack to send a message (to his pupils?)
  • We know nothing of his past - he seems to have met Devin within the last year or so
  • We only saw the wrist from his corpse - he could be superficially injured/faking it

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Xander claiming it was empty and the lantern brings up an interesting point.  Why wasn't he killed then?  Were the creatures waiting for a larger group to show up so they could kill more adventurers?  But in that case, slaying Xander would have brought the rest anyway, as they'd come searching for him.  They'd have come more cautiously, but as the creatures had the high ground it wouldn't have made much difference as the first attack allerted the adventurers as it is, and thus nothing would have changed much. 

Or was Xander involved somehow and leading the rest to their doom?  Perhaps he was paid off and betrayed, or perhaps he IS the master! 

Time will tell...  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Meech

Quote from: RushFox on February 02, 2007, 11:59:11 PM
As an aside, I really believe that when Abel and Kria meet up in the main storyline, it's going to be nuts, plot-wise. So many possibilities...

We know that they have to meet up sooner than that so that Kria can get her amulet back.  That meeting will be very interesting.  This may be how Abel gets to the SAIA.

Aridas

But she's apparently already got it back in the main storyline... And that's what rush is talking about... things outside of abel's story.

Sid

:boogie

Gabi

Quote from: Manawolf on February 03, 2007, 12:24:09 AM
We're a little thrown off in that Glory's eyes are pale blue, instead of grey, which is how most people show that a character is blind.
Blind people's eyes can be any color. Sorry to disappoint those brown-eyed people who may believe they're safe from the possibility of going blind. They do have some more resistance to bright light, but that's all.

And all that speculation is going way too far, in my opinion.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

willow186129

Quote from: Ink on February 02, 2007, 11:39:12 PM
Quote from: Narethlian on February 02, 2007, 11:19:22 PM
I doubt the off-screen demon is Dark Pegasus for one simple fact. From what we can tell against Kria's wing, it has a defined hand. DP has hoof-like claws if you look back at the 'Warrior for Hire' arc.

Bravo. Well discerned, there.

Also, try checking the hairstyle of Kammi in the 'Glory's group' picture to the person nailed to the wall.

It's also, most likely, feline because you can sorta tell there's a claw on the index finger *nudges hand with a stick*