1/27/07: Failure

Started by Caswin, January 26, 2007, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 03:09:58 AM
That and creatures don't tend to see fellow creatures as inferior, and would be disinclined to kill them off.
My understanding was that it was a sort of Darwinism; the weak die off and the strong survive, regardless of species. It says in demonology 101 that demons are disinclined to avenge one another because if you get killed, you deserve it.
Then again, it could be to make things look good for the beings; "See? We can be civilized. Now keep selling stuff to us." For all their arrogence, creatures have plenty of reasons to fear beings of late. Advances in technology, meaning they don't have to put up with crap from creatures in order to obtain devices that would otherwise have to be made using magic, and advantage of numbers.

Aridas

in response to Fex:

didn't she say she plans ahead most of the time? I think I remember that but I'm not so sure. Well, at least recently.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fex on January 27, 2007, 03:28:01 PM
hmm I think I see through Amber's trick >:3 she reads these posts and picks things for the comic we would not think about and with that I deserve a cookie :mowcookie

Shh, don't let her hear that.  It's not true, because the core storyline is planned months in advance, but she can get kind of irritable when people think she's working on-the-fly.  Probably because it comes up so often :P

Now, as for this three-fingers, two-fingers business.  Furrae such as Dan have three fingers and one thumb.  The shadow we've seen has one thumb and two visible fingers, but it's possible the third is simply obscured.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

That's what I keep saying >_>

*kicks tapewolf for stealing* Bad tapewolf-thing!

Fex

sheez I am just joking I hope she does know that ... right ... right :boggle

I say that is just kria's owne hand

Aridas

kria can't reach that far. And it wouldn't be silhouetted... and we already see BOTH her arms crossed in front of her...

Sunblink

Quote from: Fex on January 27, 2007, 03:35:49 PM
sheez I am just joking I hope she does know that ... right ... right :boggle

I say that is just kria's owne hand

Kria's own hand? No, in that same panel, it's made rather obvious that Kria's arms are folded. Unless she magically grew another arm which somehow made it to the other end of the panel, I really doubt that's hers.

Also, think about it. It looks nothing like her own arm. There isn't any fur surrounding the wrist of the hand, just the silhouette of what looks like a bracelet.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

EDIT: *waves to Fex* :D

Fex

he keaton long time not seen since df :mowmeep

and that is possible to it is hard to say

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 27, 2007, 03:35:23 PM
That's what I keep saying >_>

I know, but what neither you nor anyone else has done is define 'fingers', which makes your point less obvious.  I'm sure some people are counting the thumb as a finger and that makes the entire discussion confusing, unless we can all agree on what we're discussing  >:3

Valynth

Quote from: Kesh on January 27, 2007, 12:52:01 AM
Quote from: Valynth on January 26, 2007, 10:52:54 PM
Well, she might have killed Glory's group.  I have no idea why everybody was up in arms over Devin and Xander's deaths, but glory and gang are barely even mentioned, save for mocking and punning.

We had time to 'get to know' Devin and Xander. Despite Devin's smartass front, he really was a decent person. Glory + gang had about 10 seconds worth of screen time before all hell broke loose, and all we had was a few "holier than thou" remarks and some comments from Devin implying she was the stereotypical "Lawful Stupid" paladin.

In other words, the former had character development, while the latter were red shirts. So far.

Thats if you refuse to acknowledge that people change.  Personally, I feel sorry for Glory, she might have had unresolved issues before she died, where as Devin burried the hatchet so to speak with Abel.

There's a reason for everything, even Glory's attitude, and I would be interested in seeing exactly what results in a, how do you put it?  Lawful-stupid attitude?

Also, she didn't seem lawful-stupid and she stopped seeing Abel as a threat when Devin vouched for him, in his own way.  Infact, she seemed concerned for both their safety when she tells them to leave. And she could have been very reasonable.  Frankly, I think it's a shame we didn't get to know Glory a bit more.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2007, 03:32:49 PMNow, as for this three-fingers, two-fingers business.  Furrae such as Dan have three fingers and one thumb.  The shadow we've seen has one thumb and two visible fingers, but it's possible the third is simply obscured.

No, we see one finger and one thumb.  We also see space for another finger, presumably not extended.  There is not enough room for three fingers and a thumb.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 27, 2007, 03:38:12 PMkria can't reach that far. And it wouldn't be silhouetted... and we already see BOTH her arms crossed in front of her...

She could be a Haggunenon.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

You haven't taken into acccount that the hand could be turned... besides, copy-pasting the same finger doesn't look right. >_>

superluser

You know, if DMFA were more formulaic, I'd suggest that the instructor might get one of the `cubi to impersonate Abel for Kria's next lesson.  That might cause Kria to deal with adventuring more harshly, and if Abel ever found out, he'd be reluctant to ever change base form.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 27, 2007, 04:19:54 PMYou haven't taken into acccount that the hand could be turned...

No, no.  Look to the right of the index finger.  See how the line dips and comes back up?  That's a knuckle.  We only see one.  Also, try to orient your hand that way.  You can't get it to the proper angle without seeing your other fingers, curled into your palm.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 04:16:46 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2007, 03:32:49 PMNow, as for this three-fingers, two-fingers business.  Furrae such as Dan have three fingers and one thumb.  The shadow we've seen has one thumb and two visible fingers, but it's possible the third is simply obscured.

No, we see one finger and one thumb.  We also see space for another finger, presumably not extended.  There is not enough room for three fingers and a thumb.

Alright then, we see one thumb, one finger, and at least one knuckle.  I'm counting the knuckle as a finger, since the hand gesture is something like this:  :nono
...hence two fingers, one thumb.  I'm open to the possibility that the there is a third finger, but looking at it again, you're right, there should really be an extra dip if what we're seeing two knuckles instead of one.  So it's probably a demon hand like Kria's, albeit a rounder one than she normally has.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2007, 03:32:49 PM
Quote from: Fex on January 27, 2007, 03:28:01 PM
hmm I think I see through Amber's trick >:3 she reads these posts and picks things for the comic we would not think about and with that I deserve a cookie :mowcookie

Shh, don't let her hear that.  It's not true, because the core storyline is planned months in advance, but she can get kind of irritable when people think she's working on-the-fly.  Probably because it comes up so often :P

I wouldn't say Amber picks things from the forum so much as  Amber picks things to change.  If somone gets a close to what she was originally planning on,  then it will be changed to suit her need to feel important, what you are spotting that looks like a plot twist or off the cuff planning  is a secondary option. Not unlike when she started writing about Abel and not about all the third party B.S.

The most I believe amber has is an outline for events she wants to happen, but I don't think an outline Qualifies as months in advance...or she'll have some text in mind but change it up a bit once she starts to make it webready.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Anri

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 04:48:28 PM
That might cause Kria to deal with adventuring more harshly, and if Abel ever found out, he'd be reluctant to ever change base form.

I'd personally think that learning of the deception that lead to one of your parents to bed with someone who wasn't what they seemed and resulting in yourself might also be a bit traumatic in that sense. I'm still up in the air over a 'cubi impersonating his 'father' and his mother being a 'cubi. Or heck, even just his father being one. WE SHALL SEE!

Tiger_T

Poor Selev.
:<
All we knew about thee is thy name.

Just because.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Goatmon

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on January 27, 2007, 11:09:05 AMAnyway....that's her hand.  Clearly.

Unless she developed a detachable third hand recently, we can see both of her hands in panel one, PLUS a third hand in silhouette in panel one.  To quote Goatmon:``You should pay more attention to the forum.''

I actually thought people were talking about the black hand.  I had no idea people were talking about the sliver of brown at the bottom.   It's just wood.....how the hell are people making a hand out of a patch of brown behind the gap in her wing?  There's a small patch of brown at her waist that matches the color of the wood belonging to the building behind her.  You can even see that the colors of the "hand" matches the wood.

Besides, the guy talking in that panel would have to have an awfully long reach in order to be tugging at her right waist while she's facing the right while the speaker is off panel to the right side. 

Aridas

Are you even paying attention? Nobody's tugging at anyone's anything...

Goatmon

Aridas

So then why are you saying it? So far everything you've said about the bleeding obvious has been wrong... Anything else?

Goatmon

I just checked the last page again to see if perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.  I didn't even notice the hand at first, since her wings are black and white to begin with, so it didn't even register when I first saw that panel.  If I hadn't looked straight at it I never woulda seen it. 

My mistake.   :<

Aridas

Kazairl

I'm interested in the implications of the last panel.  Abel appears to be crying again.  Did he hear that conversation and become upset that Kria was part of the group that killed Devin and Xander?  Or was he upset that Kria still considered him a baby?  Kria and The Sinister Unknown weren't exactly whispering.  Especially Kria...

Aridas

he could just still be crying from the incident while he's running away... we don't see any proof he was listening.

Sunblink

Quote from: Kazairl on January 27, 2007, 09:20:23 PM
I'm interested in the implications of the last panel.  Abel appears to be crying again.  Did he hear that conversation and become upset that Kria was part of the group that killed Devin and Xander?  Or was he upset that Kria still considered him a baby?  Kria and The Sinister Unknown weren't exactly whispering.  Especially Kria...

Upset that Kria considered him a baby? Even if Abel would've taken offense to that otherwise, I'm sure he would've had MUCH more pressing matters on his mind. Such as, say, getting a close-up view of the grisly murder of Devin and the dead body of Xander. After all of that, would he have even given a damn that Kria thought he was a child?

Besides, I'm fairly sure that Abel was too far away from Kria and her cohorts to overhear what they were debating about.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2007, 10:04:36 PMUpset that Kria considered him a baby?

More likely, upset that Kria considered him special enough not to be a target, which implies that others, who were less special, were targets.  It takes very little effort to come to the conclusion that Devin & al. were targets.

Of course, this assumes that he heard them.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2007, 10:04:36 PMBesides, I'm fairly sure that Abel was too far away from Kria and her cohorts to overhear what they were debating about.

Sound carries in open areas pretty well.  It's probably been all of 30 seconds or so since Abel started running; he couldn't have gotten far.  Note also that compared to humans, felines have extremely acute hearing.  If Kria were yelling, Abel should have been able to hear it.

Of course, in extremely stressful situations, your fight or flight reflex kicks in and you start to get tunnel vision--and tunnel hearing, to a certain extent.  That's a reasonable explanation for Abel not hearing Kria.

Boog

Quote from: Tikki on January 27, 2007, 06:39:27 PM
I'd personally think that learning of the deception that lead to one of your parents to bed with someone who wasn't what they seemed and resulting in yourself might also be a bit traumatic in that sense.
I dunno, King Arthur learned to cope. May or may not be a bad example, but still.

Sunblink

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 10:17:41 PM
More likely, upset that Kria considered him special enough not to be a target, which implies that others, who were less special, were targets.  It takes very little effort to come to the conclusion that Devin & al. were targets.

Of course, this assumes that he heard them.

Hmm, agreed. It also makes me wonder if Kria would've killed Devin and Xander without any qualms whatsoever, unless this is a more conscious Kria.

QuoteSound carries in open areas pretty well.  It's probably been all of 30 seconds or so since Abel started running; he couldn't have gotten far.  Note also that compared to humans, felines have extremely acute hearing.  If Kria were yelling, Abel should have been able to hear it.

Of course, in extremely stressful situations, your fight or flight reflex kicks in and you start to get tunnel vision--and tunnel hearing, to a certain extent.  That's a reasonable explanation for Abel not hearing Kria.

I'm going to agree again, though determining volume of voice--in Kria's situation--is rather difficult when you only have an exclamation point to go by, and not an actual voice. But like you said, Abel could've been so focused on GTFO'ing the area, and so distressed by the events which had occured, that he could've entirely missed what Kria had said.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

superluser

Quote from: Boogeyman on January 27, 2007, 10:40:39 PMI dunno, King Arthur learned to cope. May or may not be a bad example, but still.

Well, Arthur wasn't a slightly more neurotic version of Stan Laurel.  Arthur could get through it, but Abel doesn't have that sort of inner composure.  He may have the same sort of inner strength, a la Rincewind.

Also, we're not arguing about why Abel is neurotic.  We're arguing about why Abel doesn't want to change base forms.  Seems reasonable to me.  Your father seduced your mother pretending to be her husband, so you don't want to change forms.  Doesn't sound that strange.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 27, 2007, 10:44:39 PMI'm going to agree again, though determining volume of voice--in Kria's situation--is rather difficult when you only have an exclamation point to go by

Well, I'll admit that I can't recall how loud a horse's whinny is in real life, but I'd bet that Kria is at least a decibel above that.