Abel's Story, 10/23/07 - Go on, Shoo.

Started by Sunblink, January 22, 2007, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiningShadow

Who knows at this point the Xander Idea is feasable pretending to be dead and turning out to be a evil SOB hmmmmmmmmmmm. Glory, Xander, Kria's Mom, or someone new there's so many suspects there who knows make you feel that I will dress myself in a grass skirt with coconut bra and all*plot twist* if Amber has anything to say about.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2007, 09:36:02 AMHmm.  What if he decides he'd look cool with red fur?  If the thing is faintly glowing or pulsating, that would put a stop to that trick (I'd assume that there are tattoos which glow as well, since they must be magic to work on a furre).

Presumably, you've noticed that the Cyra clan mark is blue?  And Destania is all blue?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

ShiningShadow

Quote from: superluser on January 23, 2007, 10:12:44 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2007, 09:36:02 AMHmm.  What if he decides he'd look cool with red fur?  If the thing is faintly glowing or pulsating, that would put a stop to that trick (I'd assume that there are tattoos which glow as well, since they must be magic to work on a furre).

Presumably, you've noticed that the Cyra clan mark is blue?  And Destania is all blue?

I don't know maybe she changes color when she needs to show her clan mark to others of the same clan. I think she is hiding it just to show that she is freindly and such to trust her without a doubt.

Tapewolf

Yes, and I'd be interested to see her mark.  She certainly isn't blue for the express purpose of hiding it, otherwise she would have:

(A) Not gone waltzing around lost lake with her headwings and all (since that makes the mark kind of irrelevant)
(B) Have been a different colour inside SAIA

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2007, 10:20:43 AM

Yes, and I'd be interested to see her mark.  She certainly isn't blue for the express purpose of hiding it, otherwise she would have:

(A) Not gone waltzing around lost lake with her headwings and all (since that makes the mark kind of irrelevant)

So maybe Destania is not all blue as we all assume but a disguise to hide her real identity. If my small knowledege of Cubi's is that they are using different identities to fool their prey to give their prey a sense of false security that's how I see it.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 23, 2007, 12:21:45 AM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on January 22, 2007, 11:43:14 PMHow odd that everyone missed the obvious. It's Apocalypse Steer, future father of Lorenda. Granted Kria won't make nookie with him for another few hundred years but Apocalypse Steer eventually grew on her like a fungus. 
Stop makin' up them stories, junior!

we're speculating, no one said you couldn't make anything up.

In fact I think it's Mab! being all evil and stuff durring her second childhood. 
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Regal

The mystery voice is Cindy. She became hard and cold from years of taunting, developed powers, faked her death and now she wants the whole community dead. Even that cute little kid she used to babysit.

superluser

Quote from: superluser on January 23, 2007, 10:12:44 AMPresumably, you've noticed that the Cyra clan mark is blue?  And Destania is all blue?
She certainly isn't blue for the express purpose of hiding it, otherwise she would have:

Perhaps.  Remember Tiresisas.  He was forcibly changed into a woman, and then didn't want to be changed back.  Also note Stephen Hawking, who talks like an American, thanks to the original voice for his text-to-speech software.  When he had the opportunity to change to a British voice, he declined.

At some point, we identify with our affectations.  Maybe Destania made herself blue to hide her mark when she was younger and less powerful.  Now, she doesn't need to hide her headwings anymore, so she doesn't bother.  She has, however, identified with being blue, so she remains blue.

Also, have we ever actually seen Destania with her headwings out with anyone other than her close associates?  The flashback doesn't count, because that's based on Alexsi's narration, and at the time, she would have been one year old, and was probably in bed when the incident happened.

(Firefox has Tiresias in its glossary?)

Manawolf

It's a psychological phenomena to get attached to a change in lifestyle if you've lived with it long enough.  It's why so many people don't like being pulled out of their ruts, and is also kind of like Stockholm syndrome, getting attached to someone you lived with, even if they kidnapped you in the first place.

Sunblink

Quote from: ShiningShadow on January 23, 2007, 10:25:16 AM

So maybe Destania is not all blue as we all assume but a disguise to hide her real identity. If my small knowledege of Cubi's is that they are using different identities to fool their prey to give their prey a sense of false security that's how I see it.

I don't know, it seems like too easy of a loophole to try and hide one's clan marking.  I recall Aaryanna said that only 'really powerful Cubi' can alter or hide their clan markings, and I doubt Destania fits that insurmountable standard just yet.

I could be wrong, though. And as for blue not being her natural fur color, Dan happened to inherit blue wings, so I'm going to guess that it IS her normal color.

QuoteThe mystery voice is Cindy. She became hard and cold from years of taunting, developed powers, faked her death and now she wants the whole community dead. Even that cute little kid she used to babysit.

And if it WERE Cindy, what about the body in the casket during the funeral? Though, it WOULD be interesting to find out more about her since all we knew was a) that she babysat Abel, and b) was born with an eye on her hand, and caused as much of an uproar as Abel following her birth.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Manawolf

He could simply wear a shirt with an actual back to it.  Aary got stuck with a shoulder mark, and that'd only get covered up with long sleeves.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 23, 2007, 11:16:21 AM
At some point, we identify with our affectations.  Maybe Destania made herself blue to hide her mark when she was younger and less powerful.  Now, she doesn't need to hide her headwings anymore, so she doesn't bother.  She has, however, identified with being blue, so she remains blue.

That's plausible - indeed it's the reason I'm not interested in contact lenses.

The only potential flaw is the fact that Destania joined the Academy at around 25 (according to Fa'Lina), which would be before she was able to change her fur colour - judging from Abel's own ability at that (rough) age and his later description of how tricky it is.
From then on, Dee would have been safe among other 'cubi, and not needed to have hidden her heritage unless she went outside, so unless she tried it and decided it suited her, I'm not sure how likely it is.

The other point is we don't know if she's pureblood or half-Being.  In the latter case, the blue would have come from her Being parent.

Finally, Amber pointed out that Ink wouldn't be able to conceal his marking after 9000 years, so changing colour is way too simple.

QuoteAlso, have we ever actually seen Destania with her headwings out with anyone other than her close associates?  The flashback doesn't count, because that's based on Alexsi's narration, and at the time, she would have been one year old, and was probably in bed when the incident happened.

IIRC, only Dan's 388 flashback, and Aary's own flashbacks.

QuoteFirefox has Tiresias in its glossary?
Now I'm going to have to read about him since I've only come across the reference in passing.  Out of curiosity, are you studying literature or something?

ShiningShadow

So then Destania has the mark of her clan but we don't see it. Is it the kind of mark that appears if your original fur for example is blue it will come out either a lime greeen or yellow. Henceforth Abel fur color is cream colored his clan marking is red. I think the markings react to the fur color and use the color spectrum to highlight it accordinly. That could be and explanation on this.

Roureem Egas

Despite the fact that a marking is linked to magical powers and its usage, I highly doubt they change color to make it difficult to hide. Crests and symbols tend to be static.

Abel's hair is another thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Roureem Egas on January 23, 2007, 12:21:59 PM
Despite the fact that a marking is linked to magical powers and its usage, I highly doubt they change color to make it difficult to hide. Crests and symbols tend to be static.
Glowing or subtly pulsing with energy is a little more likely, IMHO.

ShiningShadow

But with Abel's hair I know it's a lot of work to keep that hair in that manner. I think Abel could do it with his training at SAIA he could pull this off with ease.

SkipSanders

What we really know about the mystery person talking to Kria is, 'They haven't learned yet not to piss her off'.

Regarding Kria being 'in on the kills', of course she could be, and probably was.  Whether you like it or not, she's always been shown as flatly evil, a remorseless killer, and especially so of beings.

It would be a major break with her established character if she wasn't.

That doesn't mean she can't, on whim, decide to spare someone she knows.  She's Abel's teacher, currently, and that might well, since she here for the first time sees his headwings, and thus knows darn well he's a cubi, cut him a break, as a definite creature.

Actually, Kria's 'evil' only from the standpoint of a being.  She doesn't 'kill for the fun of it', that we've noticed, really.  She simply doesn't consider it wrong to kill a being (or creature) who isn't powerful enough to stop her.  That's the creature ethics, in general, and it's not 'evil' to her, or to other creatures.

GabrielsThoughts

ok I think the true solution here is that it is the banana/dragon who later impregnated Fa'lina which produced Pyroduck.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Dard

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on January 23, 2007, 12:57:11 PM
ok I think the true solution here is that it is the banana/dragon who later impregnated Fa'lina which produced Pyroduck.
From Pyroduck's Cast Page:
QuoteFamily:Adopted-Mother(Fa'Lina)

Aridas

The way he said banana/dragon, I don't think he was being serious in the least.

Pendolse

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 23, 2007, 11:25:40 AMI don't know, it seems like too easy of a loophole to try and hide one's clan marking.  I recall Aaryanna said that only 'really powerful Cubi' can alter or hide their clan markings, and I doubt Destania fits that insurmountable standard just yet.

Well, I do believe that Destania is the third-eldest of all the `cubi we've met so far.  If she doesn't fit into it, then who would?  And as I said above, there are some really easy ways to get around the clan marking thing.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 23, 2007, 11:25:40 AMAnd if it WERE Cindy, what about the body in the casket during the funeral?

Radial tires, like in that episode of Law and Order: SVU.

We only saw the closed casket.  It looked like the type that opens at the top, but that might just be gold embellishment.  Anyways, jumping off a clif to your death is going to cause some major cosmetic damage, and I'd be willing to bet that no one wants to see her with all the cuts and abrasions to her face.

But I think we're agreed that it's not Cindy.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2007, 11:33:32 AMThe only potential flaw is the fact that Destania joined the Academy at around 25 (according to Fa'Lina), which would be before she was able to change her fur colour taking Abel's own ability at that (rough) age and his later description of how tricky it is.

Destania has no trouble changing forms.  Abel had no trouble reading minds before even learning how to do it.  Dan was able to change his headwings into moving shapes after one brief discussion with Abel. 

Abel appears to be quite adept at mindreading.  Maybe the Cyra gift is easy shapeshifting.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2007, 11:33:32 AMOut of curiosity, are you studying literature or something?

Naw.  I just learn by osmosis.  I once had to force myself to stop memorizing the digits of pi because it's too addicting.

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on January 23, 2007, 11:16:21 AM
Remember Tiresisas.  He was forcibly changed into a woman, and then didn't want to be changed back.

For one thing it's Tiresias

Actually, she/he eventually did want to turn back when she/he found the snakes coupling, she/he made sure to leave them alone.  Seeing that she/he had learnt his/her lesson, Hera returned him back to being a man.

Eventually he got caught up in a argument between Zeus and Hera about which gender had the most fun out of coupling.  In the end, they asked Tiresias since he had been both.  Knowing Zeus was the more powerful God, he went with women.  This sent Herra into a rage and she blinded Tiresias' eyes.  Zeus, taking pity on the man gave him immortality and the ability to see the future.

Unfortunately, this ends up being a curse since mortals should not be immortal so Tiresisas wanders the world till he winds up in Hades where he is found by Odysseus.  (this is the Odysseus version of Tiresias, there are many different versions with different views and morals.)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Goatmon

Quote from: ShiningShadow on January 23, 2007, 10:20:02 AM
I don't know maybe she changes color when she needs to show her clan mark to others of the same clan. I think she is hiding it just to show that she is freindly and such to trust her without a doubt.

Dan inherited blue wings and headwings from his mother, which match her color just fine.  Sure, it's not written in stone that Destania is naturally blue, but that's still the most likely answer here.  Speculation is all fine and good when it comes to trying to figure out a mystery but questioning stuff that really hasn't given us any reason for doubt seems like a waste to me.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on January 23, 2007, 03:33:08 PMFor one thing it's Tiresias

Yeah.  I dunno how the second s got in there.  Or why Firefox accepted both spellings.  I do know that it doesn't like it when you misspell Nietzsche. :/

Quote from: Valynth on January 23, 2007, 03:33:08 PMActually, she/he eventually did want to turn back when she/he found the snakes coupling, she/he made sure to leave them alone.  Seeing that she/he had learnt his/her lesson, Hera returned him back to being a man.

It appears in the Metamorphoses that Tiresias does indeed do this.  As you note, there are quite a few different versions of the Tiresias story.  Bulfinch doesn't mention it, but there is a mention in the Library of Apollodorus about him being turned from man to woman and back again, and having liked love better as a woman.  I do seem to remember that there's at least one version of the story where he sees the snakes again and thinks, ``Whoa.  I'd better not touch them or else the gods will change me back into a man,'' and Hera thinks that he still wants to turn back, so she turns him back against his will.

Zedd

Sides if anyone has any real proof going on here...Mail to 213-DU WERDEST EINE KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!  >:O

Akisohida

Quote from: ShiningShadow on January 23, 2007, 12:30:28 PM

But with Abel's hair I know it's a lot of work to keep that hair in that manner. I think Abel could do it with his training at SAIA he could pull this off with ease.

I think he was referring to the fact that Abels hair has brown tips and, if cut, the new ends become brown so he ALWAYS has brown ends to his hair.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tiger_T

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 23, 2007, 06:12:26 AM
. . .
One thing I'm wondering Is how on earth would you tattoo fur? Tattoos are usually beneath the skin. The answer is, inevitably, magic. Its like many religious texts (and sci-fi) one answer to many questions.
Quite easy. Use some chemicals to manipulate the roots of the hair where you want the furtoo. It'll make the hair grow in the color you want it to.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 23, 2007, 05:43:44 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 23, 2007, 05:34:10 AM
I wonder if hair/fur dye would work.
According to what Amber has said on the forum, several times, "No."
As I understood it, you just can't alter it by magic means.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on January 23, 2007, 04:25:36 PM
I do seem to remember that there's at least one version of the story where he sees the snakes again and thinks, ``Whoa.  I'd better not touch them or else the gods will change me back into a man,'' and Hera thinks that he still wants to turn back, so she turns him back against his will.

*shrugs*  It's open to interpretation, but I think the person who said that primarily relyed on the answer he gave Zeus and Herra to reverse-engineer, if you will, Tiresias' opinion on the matter.  Frankly, I think it would be too convienent for Zeus' selection to match perfectly with Tiresias' observation.  I think Tiresias really thought that men and women have the same amount of joy, but sided with Zeus since Zeus is the most powerful deity in the Greek ordering of gods.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

ShiningShadow

Woah that is so cool I'm so confused  :B.