Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the new iPhone?

So Cool!  Where do I get one?
It's okay
$500 Dollars?  It's too expensive
it SUCKS!
Won't come out

Netami

Jesus... 500 dollars can go a long way in a different direction. If I want to call someone, I'll use Skype!

xHaZxMaTx

Jack McSlay

I'd rather buy a DS and Flash Card and then get/write homebrew software for it. It'll do everything an iPhone does and still play kickass games.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Melpomene

Quote from: Netami on January 22, 2007, 06:23:53 PM
Jesus... 500 dollars can go a long way in a different direction. If I want to call someone, I'll use Skype!

Same. If I had that sort of money for a crappy iPod phone, I'd rather use it on a PS3.

Cvstos

There's a rumor going around that Cingular may offer current Verizon customers 18 months free service for switching and buying an iPhone.  I have *severe* doubts about the validity of that rumor, but if it was true then it would be easy to justify that purchase.  18 months of Cingular's cheapest plan is $720.  If they include a larger plan, it just goes up from there.

$500 is a bit much, yes, but if I sold my old iPod, Palm, and phone, and got free service for 18 months, well, I'd call that a pretty damn good deal!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

bill

Except that unlike the Palm, you don't get third party apps. Or Office support. Though I do have faith that Apple will realize how dumb having no Office support is.

Boog

iMsickofextracellphonefeatures. Seriously people, what happened to "Ring ring"? You don't need all that stuff.

LionHeart

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 27, 2007, 08:43:19 PM
Except that unlike the Palm, you don't get third party apps. Or Office support. Though I do have faith that Apple will realize how dumb having no Office support is.

Either that, or someone will create a port of OpenOffice.org for it...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

ITOS

Quote from: Boogeyman on January 27, 2007, 10:43:57 PM
iMsickofextracellphonefeatures. Seriously people, what happened to "Ring ring"? You don't need all that stuff.

Yes I do!

I get a great musicplayer with an equalizer and 2 gig memory.

Also, I use my phone's wi-fi waaay more than the phone feature.

It's more of a PDA, really, but why carry two things?
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: ITOS on January 28, 2007, 10:50:27 AM
Quote from: Boogeyman on January 27, 2007, 10:43:57 PM
You don't need all that stuff.

Yes I do!
I get a great musicplayer with an equalizer and 2 gig memory.
Also, I use my phone's wi-fi waaay more than the phone feature.
It's more of a PDA, really, but why carry two things?

It can't be used as a PDA, therefore it's not one.  Even the Psion Organiser could run third-party applications and that's twenty-two years ago.  So if you need to do PDA stuff, you'll have to buy a PDA, or a phone that can do both.

While I'm not opposed to a phone that is just a phone per se, the price for such a thing is shocking.  Of course, one of the reasons I'm bitter is that I was hoping it would force work to buy me a Mac for the porting work  >:3

Quote from: LionHeart on January 28, 2007, 10:32:05 AM
Either that, or someone will create a port of OpenOffice.org for it...
That's easy enough, but there's no point since unless things change, you won't be able to install it...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madd the Sane

What is this rumor that there will be no third-party software? There probably will be a way to add third-party software.  You forget that it is basically Mac OS X Lite.  You can add features to OS X, so you can probably do the same with the iPhone.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madd the Sane on January 31, 2007, 12:47:12 PM
What is this rumor that there will be no third-party software? There probably will be a way to add third-party software.

Oh, it's something Steve Jobs said.  It might be that he's being taken out of context - I hope so.  Here's one of them:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16566968/site/newsweek/page/2/

QuoteYou forget that it is basically Mac OS X Lite.  You can add features to OS X, so you can probably do the same with the iPhone.

Now I've never used a Mac since they went BSD, but I think you're forgetting how locked-down phones can be.  How about Orange?  Their recent devices run WM2005, but you can't install or run anything unless it's been digitally signed by them.  It's an OS feature - part of the right management subsystem.

If Apple wants to stop people running apps on the device, they can remove the shell (which they probably already have), stop the file explorer from being able to launch apps and remove any autorun facility it has on whatever removeable media it supports.  Or they can use cryptographic signing.

**EDIT**
It looks like they are allowing apps - if they've been 'blessed' by Apple.  Don't know if it's going to have enough impact for me to persuade anyone... still need to get the Symbian codebase operating properly first.

It's starting to make me wonder if I can score a cheap Mac on ebay or something, though...
(EDIT:  Apparently not  :erk)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E