[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 01, 2007, 04:02:05 PM
Oh, go on.  I'm trying to think of which themes it would be:
76 - Broken Pieces

I want to hug it, but I don't want to be broken. :cry

Cogidubnus

*hugs the Dark Keaton*  :3

Simply amazing, Keats. The hand is, again, fantastic-looking. Really, really nicely done.

techmaster-glitch

....... *total awe*

I cannot think of anything to say that would do this dark jackal justice....

llearch n'n'daCorna

... does this mean that if you put this on Keaton's arm... it'd be a Dark Mark? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Goatmon

KarlOmega1

Scary, yet amazing. You really know how to really bring out the A-game on art, Keaton!
*two thumbs up*
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Drake Manaweilder

... Should we be running or are we already as good as dead?

Er, anyways, the only thing i don't like about it is the abs. They kind of remind me of a giant 2x2 lego block... Perhaps removing the darker shadows just below the light spots would help? Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me of course.

Keep up the arts Keaton! :bow

Sunblink

I currently feel like crap, but that has nothing to do with any emotional bullshit. No, you can attribute the crappiness to the fact I have a dreadful cold and have to blow my nose every five seconds because I'm practically drowning in my own nose-mucus.

Quite a Christmas gift from God. :B

But honestly, I had a great Christmas. Family, friends, mad lootz, and happiness. Great stuff, good times. Oh yeah, and I got Schindler's List for the DVD and I must watch it. D: I desperately wanted that movie.

Oh yeah, and I got my Secret Santa contribution le finished.

Currently Listening To: "Balrog Boogie," by the Diablo Swing Orchestra
Time Taken:

• Drawing: Approximately 3 to 4 days (cos I was lazy :B)
  • Inking: 2 Days
  • Coloring: Unknown

I know it's not festive, but I wanted to do something a little generic for some reason. I didn't know if Fixxation actually celebrated Christmas and had entered the Secret Santa for the gift exchange, so I decided to draw this without a particular holiday as the the theme. I'll do something more Christmas-y next year. I know, sucky reasoning, but I'm very happy with this picture, and I hope Fixxation will be as well.

The denim texture was accomplished using a tutorial. Fucking jeans gave me a lot of crap, especially during the shading process, but I was very happy with the results. Bleached effect was achieved with the dodge tool set on a wonky brush.

Expect more art, because I'm planning on getting some giftart for random friends o' mine finished during a New Year's Eve Party my mother threatened me at gunpoint to attend that I'm going to go to. Hopefully I can get them all up in an uber-update for 2008.

Hope you all had a great Christmas, everyone.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Oooh, neat denim texture! :.  I tried using textures like that, once, but with horrible, blasphemous results. :cry  But that looks awesome; kudos. :3

Netrogo

Why can't I do mine that good :U

*attempts to steal Keaton's drawing talents for his own*

In all seriousness Fixx was lucky to get you as their SS, anyone would give their left arm for a drawing that good.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Cogidubnus

Those jeeeeeeans!  :U

Amazing, Keats. You can tell that you really put a lot of effort into it. Very nicely done!

Tapewolf

That's a superb picture.  I'm going to have to find another version of that character to compare against, because I'm curious now.

On the flipside, they look a little masculine.  That might just be the way it is for that character, as I say, I'll have to look for another rendition.
Secondly, the denim effect is indeed splendid, but IMHO it's at the wrong scale, or level of detail.  The lines in it look a bit too large unless she is actually full-size (i.e. about 12 inches high) which might be the case, I don't know.
Secondly, I think it clashes slightly with her fur because the sheer amount of detail in the trouser fabric makes the fur look odd - I think my eyes are expecting to see the individual hairs or something.

Anyway, nitpicking aside, it is very nice, and as Netrogo says, Fixx was dead lucky to get a Secret Santa from you and I hope they feel properly grateful  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

LionHeart

That is indeed very impressive.

Do you have a link to the tutorial for the denim texture?
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Sunblink

Quote from: LionHeart on December 27, 2007, 06:41:29 AM
That is indeed very impressive.

Do you have a link to the tutorial for the denim texture?

Thank you very much! As for the tutorial, to answer your question, yes...

LINK

I do.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 26, 2007, 04:58:26 PM
That's a superb picture.  I'm going to have to find another version of that character to compare against, because I'm curious now.

On the flipside, they look a little masculine.  That might just be the way it is for that character, as I say, I'll have to look for another rendition.
Secondly, the denim effect is indeed splendid, but IMHO it's at the wrong scale, or level of detail.  The lines in it look a bit too large unless she is actually full-size (i.e. about 12 inches high) which might be the case, I don't know.
Secondly, I think it clashes slightly with her fur because the sheer amount of detail in the trouser fabric makes the fur look odd - I think my eyes are expecting to see the individual hairs or something.

Anyway, nitpicking aside, it is very nice, and as Netrogo says, Fixx was dead lucky to get a Secret Santa from you and I hope they feel properly grateful  :P

Good critique, and much appreciated. The masculinity was sort of intentional... well, kind of. I was taking the build implied in the reference sheet a bit too literally. :B I was honestly really worried that it would look a bit bad after, but it turned out okay. Towards the denim detail, I again see what you mean, though to be honest I've tried an individual fur tutorial before (it was something fancy with the motion blur tool) and I couldn't for the life of me get it right. XD I'll need to try it again.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :) I'll try to get more pictures up soon. Besides the giftart, perhaps something for Eternal Rains.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

Thank you so much for your kind comments, everyone.  :tighthug You guys are fantastic.

I know I promised a major art jam, but it's not quite ready yet. Instead I decided to post up this picture to keep my gallery afloat until I've gotten the final few pictures finished. I'm extremely happy with the results.

As I looked back, I wasn't at all happy with Jyraneth's older design. She looked too ordinary for a certified delusional psychopath. She needed tweaking to make her more menacing, more corrupted by that encroaching dark presence she's sacrificed her sanity for.

I think this new design suits her more. :3

This picture is going to be colored in the future so that way I include more of Jyraneth's design, possibly with improved lineart (which includes the markings on the backs of her wings, which resemble the patterns on gypsy moths' wings). The tear-shaped markings around her eyes are sort of a tribute to the Marilyn Manson song which inspired the major revamps to Jyraneth's history and personality - it's sort of a subtle tribute, but hey. Normally Jyraneth doesn't wear an outfit like this, preferring more gothic lolita-style stuff with lace and fishnets and layers of black, but since I was so happy with her anatomy in this picture I decided to give her something more form-fitting. This is how her physique should be - unnaturally compact and sinewy, very strong and commanding.

Oh yeah, and her pose was stolen from a picture of Batman... kind of. There are some changes, but I feel I should give credit where credit is due.

I could go more into Jyraneth's backstory, but that's going to be detailed in a 100 Themes picture I have planned... :3 For now, just check out the Jyraneth Clan Wiku-Wiki article.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Cogidubnus

I still think it looks awesome, Keats. She looks fully capable of clawing someone's eyes out and beating them over the head with them.

And the eyes are win.  :3

Tapewolf

It's very well drawn.  I can easily see a dark messenger of the gods looking like that.
However, somehow I just can't reconcile it with the idea of a Jyraneth just a few steps away from breakdown.  She looks bleeding dangerous, but IMHO it's taken the edge off her in a sheer-out-of-her-gourd kind of way.

Sunblink

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 15, 2008, 04:46:01 PM
I still think it looks awesome, Keats. She looks fully capable of clawing someone's eyes out and beating them over the head with them.

And the eyes are win.  :3

Thank you, Cog!  :hug I'm really glad she looks dangerous. >:3 I'm normally not used to drawing dangerous things, believe it or not. oo;

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 15, 2008, 05:02:08 PM
It's very well drawn.  I can easily see a dark messenger of the gods looking like that.
However, somehow I just can't reconcile it with the idea of a Jyraneth just a few steps away from breakdown.  She looks bleeding dangerous, but IMHO it's taken the edge off her in a sheer-out-of-her-gourd kind of way.

Thank you very much! ^^ And honestly, I figured someone would say that, so I think I should specify: this is how Jyraneth will look in the second chapter of Keaton's backstory, where she is tentatively slated to make an appearance. This takes place before Jyraneth Clan is mostly-destroyed, so Jyraneth looks relatively stable in this picture.

I'll probably draw post-destruction Jyraneth in the 100 Themes picture she's going to appear in. She looks much more broken down there. As time passes and Jyraneth's stability starts dwindling, that blackness evident around her cheeks and eyes starts to encroach onto her features, and the color is bleached from her fur. Prior to when she started assimilating herself with the darkness, she was a very lovely mixture of golds, yellows, and oranges. If Jyraneth ever reaches the point where she's utterly consumed by darkness, she will, ironically, look like she's permanently frozen in that shadow-armor form Keaton and some members of the Jyraneth Clan use (seen in the fourth 100 Themes picture).

I hope that offers some explanation. ^^

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 15, 2008, 05:08:34 PM
Thank you very much! ^^ And honestly, I figured someone would say that, so I think I should specify: this is how Jyraneth will look in the second chapter of Keaton's backstory, where she is tentatively slated to make an appearance. This takes place before Jyraneth Clan is mostly-destroyed, so Jyraneth looks relatively stable in this picture.

Ah, right, so it's from when Keaton was younger?  Cool.  I must admit I tend to focus on the period just prior to the fall.  IIRC it was evident to some clan members at that point that she wasn't exactly sane...

Kenji

Nikki

love. pure love.

I hate trying to draw Xze as a psychopath D8 she already looks like one to a LOT of people...I can't draw Xze being psycho, and i can't draw Ozzie being cute DX

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

ahahahahhahahaha I totally suck because I promised an art jam and it isn't up yet. Instead I have the next of the 100 Themes pictures to show. But don't worry, the flood of art will be up as well soon. For now, here's something to hold you guys over.

Time Taken:

• Drawing: 2 Days
  • Inking: Unknown
  • Coloring: 2 Days
Currently Listening To: "Addicted," by Kelly Clarkson

I'm really lazy so I'm just going to post the description I put up on my DeviantArt here.

Aeriko Iyakune-Kamei'Sin, half-Cubi, SAIA student, involuntary member of Kamei'Sin Clan, and unfortunate subject of Keaton's wrath. While physically inept and vulnerable to just about everything, Aeriko is a promising magic practitioner and possesses abnormally advanced mental abilities for his age. As seen in this picture, he's demonstrating a mostly superficial spell generally used for shows.

More about him will be available in the future. I may either update this description to include more information, or write a more thorough summary with another picture. Either way, he's slated to appear in Keaton's upcoming backstory.

This... pretty much was finished by itself. I was very satisfied with the lineart, both inked and drawn, but I had no idea how to work with the colored image. The spell was a bitch to finish and took multiple layers and filters to give it an appropriately shiny effect. Cogidubnus helped by giving me a link to a tutorial which ultimately gave me instructions on how to achieve that aforementioned, desired "shiny effect." :) After that, I messed around with the same filter to give the darkened appearance in the picture.

To the picky ones: yes, I am aware the background is painfully simplistic. XD I wasn't going for perfection there. Plus, I'm not entirely used to adding backgrounds to my pictures. This is something I'm trying to get used to. Another thing is that I'm also not used to working with shading and highlights when the light source is originating from a unique position, so there are bound to be some errors.

I am encouraging advanced critique for this picture so I can get more in-depth comments and advice as to how to improve my light perspective.

All-in-all, though, while the outcome of the picture was unexpected, I really enjoy the results. :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ooo, lookattheshinee!

Slightly more seriously, that glowing ball is designed ot be above his hand, shining light on his feet, yes?

Shouldn't it also be shining light on his upper right arm, where it's horizontal? You may also note that the light patterns on the lower arm would be ... interesting. And possibly worth looking at fiddling with sometime.

I'd also expect the highlights of the face - the high points - to be highlighted by light as well. That's another tricky one to figure out, though. You might find holding a torch and looking into the mirror helpful, here.

And the sole of his left foot is highlighted, when it should be in shadow...

That about what you wanted?

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 28, 2008, 10:27:07 AM
Ooo, lookattheshinee!

Slightly more seriously, that glowing ball is designed ot be above his hand, shining light on his feet, yes?

Shouldn't it also be shining light on his upper right arm, where it's horizontal? You may also note that the light patterns on the lower arm would be ... interesting. And possibly worth looking at fiddling with sometime.

I'd also expect the highlights of the face - the high points - to be highlighted by light as well. That's another tricky one to figure out, though. You might find holding a torch and looking into the mirror helpful, here.

And the sole of his left foot is highlighted, when it should be in shadow...

That about what you wanted?

That's exactly what I wanted, thank you! :)

To be honest, the highlighting was much more prominent before I actually darkened the picture, but I wanted to accomplish a sort of subtle shading like in the recent pages of Abel's Story so I left it alone. It's only now I'm starting to get really good ideas about how to make the highlighting look more realistic, after I converted the file into a JPEG... BLEH. :< Dammit.

The reason behind the highlighting on the foot was because of the angle of the spotlight in the background. I guess I was worried it would look too weird without the highlighting on the sole... hum.

Thanks for the critique, Llearch. It was much appreciated.  :boogie

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 28, 2008, 12:16:42 PM
Thanks for the critique, Llearch. It was much appreciated.  :boogie

You're welcome.

... Now go post on ER. We're all waiting for you. ;-]

Tapewolf

Ooh, very nice.  How did you do the eyes?  Is that just a splodge of approximately the right shape or is it actually rendered somehow?

Cogidubnus

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 28, 2008, 01:36:53 PM
Ooh, very nice.  How did you do the eyes?  Is that just a splodge of approximately the right shape or is it actually rendered somehow?

Thank you very much! As for the eyes.. they sort of happened on their own. I keep the white light which brightens the eyes on its own layer, set on "Normal," so it was perfectly unaffected when I made the background and the picture darker. I was rather surprised, but pleased by the outcome. The effect, when you get right down to it, was more by chance and kind of unremarkable. :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal