I'm Back from Alabama... and I now officially hate American Airlines

Started by GabrielsThoughts, January 19, 2007, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

the trip was horrible, I hate to hang out in the sticks of "Alabamie" with my cousins.  None of which have internet access, I was forced to hear jokes about how I live in "lost wages" a southern vonacular apperently used to poorly translate the  spanish word "las vegas" into english... though Accurate. I never realized how wonderful it is to live in a city with services, unlike Repton or Monroeville where they apperently have to travel to Pensacola or Mobile to see a doctor. I never realized some people still treat the internet like a precious jewel. they'll tell you things like "well we have internet access in the back room but my husband keeps it locked up"...ok, I know what your husband has been up too... next group of cousins "we have a computer, it's in the shop... you wanna' go hunting " this is followed by tales of big foot and how much they hate puertoricans and ni-double-guh-ers, and I was asked once if I have a little black in me,    but before I visited my cousins, the Highlight of our journey was seeing the weinermobile, the beaches of Florida. We found a theater that sold tickets to movies for 50 cents!!! I was able to see "Stranger than fiction, Flushed away, DeJavu, and Borat for  2 dollars plus the cost of nacho's and a large soda!!!

of course everywhere outside the dollar theater the cost of everything was marked up by about 57 cents on the dollar over Las Vegas prices. although the improted goods are a bit sparce.

The trip back was aweful, really aweful I was stranded in pensecola fro seven hours ant then I was stranded in Dallas Fort wort for more than 13 hours, For all the trouble we had we may as well have been flying stand by instead of economy class, American Airlines nor hotwire will not provide stranded passengers food ,room, or any form of services if they strand you at an airport. The most sympathy you can expect to recieve is a cot and a blanket, which you practically have to beg  to get  in the first place.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

Ugh, sounds like you had yourself a wonderful time. :rolleyes  Makes me glad I took the train down there.

Zedd

Brunhidden

i grew up in a swamp, the nearby 'town' of a hundred or so people was actually named after the swamp. its sad when wild animals are actually a concern to your security when at home....coyotes can be reaaaaly creepy when theyre pawing at the door and looking in your windows. i also remember in the later years when i wanted to go to the bank to see if i could open an account that lets me purchase things online, to which they replied "whats the in-twer-newt?"

to anyone who has ever come face to face with foxfire on your path while walking home in the dark, you have both my sympathy and my empathy.

QuoteAnd then one time I ate some rotten berries. Man, there were some strong gases seepin' outta my butt that day!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Brunhidden

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/Thora_Thorsdottir/100_0245.jpg

wife took this photo of a local town sign, i live less then 15 miutes away from that place.

yes, the population of cheeseville IS 20 and it in no way needs to be updated.

QuoteCheesemakeing is the fine art of spoiling milk

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on January 19, 2007, 08:20:44 PMWe found a theater that sold tickets to movies for 50 cents!!!

So Hicks Pricefix Tix in Sticks?  :B

Actually, dollar theaters are pretty common.  We've got one here, and the metro area has over a million people.

Be glad that you're not anywhere near my parents' town.  State College, PA is the most backward place in the nation.  Plus, they think that the town is the next Athens or something.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Valynth

Okay, now imagine that you have lived in 'Bama for all your life.  Now add into the mix that you're an internet nerd.  You now have the lonely angst and lotheing for others that is my life.

You only got a few days of it....  I've got a lifetime.  Cause a degree from an Alabama college is only good, you guessed it, in Alabama.

I thank you for not only reminding me that my life is in the crapper, but flushing as well.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Goatmon

Hick relatives really are so delightful to hang out with.  Last time I attended a family reunion was a few years back, all the way at the other end of the country, in North Carolina.  I remember stepping into the my cousin Pat's house and heard the following sentence from the kitchen:

"Well all I know is; Wyatt Earp was NOT a yankee!"

If nothing else, at least the scenery's really nice out there.  So much untouched land covered in trees and grass that goes on for miles and miles.  I sometimes wish I could've grown up out there; with all that space to explore I probably could've kept myself busy for hours at a time.   :)

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on January 20, 2007, 01:57:05 AMYou only got a few days of it....  I've got a lifetime.  Cause a degree from an Alabama college is only good, you guessed it, in Alabama.

Well, you've got Tuskegee, Auburn and the U of Mobile.

Brunhidden

'untouched' is a relative term. large portions of the coutry now considered pristene forsets or the wild outdorrs....well, they USED to be farms, or were completely clearcut back in the days of the lumberjacks, or they used to be arid scrubland which is now a fledgeling forset due to human settlements diverting water flow.

i said i live in a swamp, but i dont live anywheres near the 'northwoods' that wisconsin is famous for. i do however go up to the north woods twice a year. its scary, after a certan point on the map the swamp looks like freaking new york citty in comparison. you see towns of seven people who live three miles appart, they just quit with the 'deer crossing' signs and only bother to warn you about bear crossings, racoons attack people as they exit bars, and traffic delays are half chance between a tree blocking the road and a bear fell asleep on the asphault.

ya know, i love trees. i love the colour forset green. i even love the smell you get with slightly decomposed leaves and wet bark. but the northwoods are just too much when you can drive at 65 MPH for two hours and only pass five buildings. thats just too many trees damnit, they need to export them elsewhere.  oklahoma for instance, someone told me it was like 'piss on a platter' without a tree in the whole state,  and he really flet sorry for kids living htere who wanted to play hide and seek cause they can only really just stand in the middle of the yard like an idiot.

QuoteMiracle Dectective Agency: If We Solve Your Crime, It's A Miracle!

RJ

...Dollar theatres? DOLLAR?!

:dface :dface :dface

You'd be hard pressed to find one of those in Australia (if they exist at all). I hate the movies... :<

*is still bitter about spending $6 of her dwindling cash suply on a large soda at the movies today*

Brunhidden

dollar theatres exist, but they usually show older movies (ones that the full price theatres stopped showing a month ago or will stop showing next week) and do most of thier business around noon or the early afternoon. also, many of them have thier selection of movies cut down to maybe three diffrent movies.

for example a movie theatre called "budget cinema south" located in milwaukee had listings in the paper that it was showing LOTR- the felowship when the other theatres were showing LOTR- the towers.

i still think one of the most fun things you can do is wait for the last week they show a movie and go in one of the unpopular times, you and your friends will probably be the only ones there and can talk all you want. the specific one i did this with was "shanghai nights" with a group of three friends and we had a blast just heckling the bad parts.

QuoteI'm a nut *clap clap* I'm a nut *clap clap*
Decended from a mighty oak, nuts to you and that's no joke!
I'm a nut *clap clap* I'm a nut *clap clap*

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on January 20, 2007, 01:43:29 PMdollar theatres exist, but they usually show older movies (ones that the full price theatres stopped showing a month ago or will stop showing next week)

There's another theatre over here that shows *really* old films.  For example, next month they're playing Citizen Kane and The Goonies.  Admission for this one is pretty much the same as any other full-price theatre.