Stoned Spiders, anybody?

Started by Turnsky, January 04, 2007, 11:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

xHaZxMaTx

Someone on another forum posted this just yesterday.  And yes, it is funny.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on January 04, 2007, 11:33:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc&eurl=
some funny stuff indeed

Funny, but I was hoping it was film of the actual experiments done by NASA 12 years ago.

I think these are they, but the Guardian article was funnier.  I'll have to see if I can find it again..

**EDIT**
This one's almost as good as The Guardian's take:
http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stygian

Hmmm... the workings of organic brain systems... If only we could find out how these things actually work, we'd... well, we'd not have any great use of it, but I'm sure we would have more fun somehow.

Alan Garou

Scientists: Torturing small animals for your amusement for over a century.  :mwaha

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alan Garou on January 04, 2007, 01:54:02 PM
Scientists: Torturing small animals for your amusement for over a century.  :mwaha

The Guardian writeup had something like "NASA picked on spiders because people were less likely to object than if they had performed the experiments on higher lifeforms."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Brunhidden

Im reminded of a book i read several years ago about the history of caffeene and americas dependancy on it. much of it was astounding, funny, freaky, or just plain obscure facts. one chapte specifically compared the effects of caffeene to other drugs by doseing spiders with the drugs and observing thier webs. can you imagine what a spider on marajuana will make for a web? how bout the web of a spider on crack? the heroin one was downright funny. but the researchers said the one dosed with caffeene was the most distorted because it was no longer a 'wheel' shape of concentric rings and spokes. in fact, it had several squares and at least three diffrent 'centers' to the web.

for some reason the researchers either diceded not to dose a spider with alcahol or they decided not to place the photo in this book. current theory states the spider probably made its web on the floor before passing out.

QuoteWell heidi-ho
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Blazehawk

What is it with all these spider-related conversations in forums I visit?  :U
Anyway, I couldn't help but think of Serqet, a scorpion goddess who is also connected to spiders.

"Dude....I need to come down here more often.."*snoozes in web*  :3

Boog

I'd heard about the actual experiment, but didn't know the specifics. This is pretty hilarious though.
Heh. Weird thought; could this video cure people of arachnophobia? Just an idea...

llearch n'n'daCorna

That youtube was well worth waiting for. :-) (can't view them at work, soo)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Yes, we scientists do torture small animals... but it's not for your amusement!  We have much better reasons for it! 

It's for OUR amusement.  *tortures a mouse he's named 'Gadget'*  :mwaha  :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zorro

Lab mice are cute, until one of the little bastards bite you.   :bunny

After that it is all evil overlord time!   :kruger

Zedd

Alan Garou

Quote from: Zorro on January 05, 2007, 09:06:35 PM
Lab mice are cute, until one of the little bastards bite you.   :bunny
Once, when I was five, a pet shop employee showed us the mice. My dad picked one up, and it bit clean through his fingernail. The employee had to pry the mouse's mouth open by hand. We decided to get a nice rat instead.

Vidar

Quote from: Alondro on January 05, 2007, 12:59:56 PM

Yes, we scientists do torture small animals... but it's not for your amusement!  We have much better reasons for it! 

It's for OUR amusement.  *tortures a mouse he's named 'Gadget'*  :mwaha  :mwaha

You hate the Rescue Rangers, don't you, you soulless evil bastard.  'A'
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Boogeyman on January 04, 2007, 07:56:31 PM
I'd heard about the actual experiment, but didn't know the specifics. This is pretty hilarious though.
Heh. Weird thought; could this video cure people of arachnophobia? Just an idea...

I dunno about this video...I do recall though an experiment in curing people of it where they are given a little virtual reality helmet and are able to play around with a virtual spider.

Seemed to work, too.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.