Video Game Review Contest

Started by fesworks, December 21, 2006, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

I HOPE I am not out of line with posting this here... If I am, I appologize and go ahead and delete it.

But I have posted this contest that I AM RUNNING on other boards of which I have been a part of for a while (albiet a lurker here, but still).

Basically the gaming forum I have been a long time member of is trying to increase it's population and Video Game Review section. I proposed a Video Game Review Contest, where Each submitted review can count as a name in the hat for a drawning for a Free Video game (or system periphial up to $60) of the winner's choice.

I'm running the contest myself. And the rules are pretty basic: Write a (well written, not half-assed) video game review of any console game released between Q4 or 2005 and when the contest ENDS on JANUARY 28th, 2007... Must be written to our Template for reviews. Enter as many times as you can.

Drawing will be on Youtube so you can see I won't be cheating. I am disqualified from winning.

Reviews should be obvious that you've played the game extensively and/or finished it.. otherwise it would not be much of a review. Not looking for "impressions".

Up to 3 different reviews per game will be accepted.. if you submit the 4th review of a certain game, your review will not be counted, sorry.

Zelda: Twillight Princess will have 3 Wii review slots and 3 GCN slots... only one LoZ:TP review (not one each) will be accepted per person... same goes for all ported games... unless the ports are DRASTICALLY different from one another... this is to prevent "port review, copy-paste, cheating".

Details of the contest are here:
http://thegamingrevolution.com/forums/showthread.php?p=227088#post227088

Also, I've been adding that the Prize can also be a Wii Remote and Nunchuck combination.. instead of just one game or one periphial (up to $60 value).

Again, I'm not spamming this on every message board I can find... just mentioning it on a few boards. Again, sorry if I am in the wrong for posting this, but he have not had a whole lot of entries thus far.

Supercheese

It's really too bad they emphasize the #/5 rating system. Do we really always have to have a rigid number system?

fesworks

Quote from: Supercheese on December 21, 2006, 01:43:55 PM
It's really too bad they emphasize the #/5 rating system. Do we really always have to have a rigid number system?

You can use decimals.... Basically it was decided to use "5" because it works with the "Rate this thread" feature we renamed to "Rate this Game" so others could vote on the game.. but it only goes up to 5 stars.

Also, its a bit easier with a "5" system because you easily have "3" as Average... whereas 5/10 does not look real average... in fact looks pretty terrible... and then you are only going by how NOT terrible a game is with a wider number scale... In my opinion anyway.

But yea, that's why we decided on Decimals too... I dunno.. it seemed to work well for us anyway. The real meat and potatoes are in the review itself of course.

bill

Quote from: fesworks on December 21, 2006, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: Supercheese on December 21, 2006, 01:43:55 PM

Also, its a bit easier with a "5" system because you easily have "3" as Average... whereas 5/10 does not look real average... in fact looks pretty terrible... and then you are only going by how NOT terrible a game is with a wider number scale... In my opinion anyway.

Uh, so, why don't you make 6/10 average?

fesworks

I can think of a few reasons:

1) The "Rate this Game" portion of the message board would not flow as nicely.

2) If you put it into percents, like in school, 6/10 would be a "D"... a below average score....

3) further more, 5/10 would be failing... and 1-4 would be how much more it is not good... too broad.

4) an out of "5" is ideal because its smaller and more concise in quick terms if its "Terrible", "Not that good", "Average", "Very Good", or "Excellent"... setting a teir for each level with variables inbetween...  were an out of 10 can screw too much of what people think of as average... its not that universal of a thought (you say 6/10 is average, I think 7/10 would be, some may think exact middle --- 5--- would be average) Most people (in my experience anyway) concieve a 3/5 an "average" game score.

5) It was already decided to make it out of 5 by all those involved :P

But really its moreso about the content than the actual score... I, personally, find that using percents and "out of 10" tends to be more of a numbers game, than what is actually written.... this is from my own experiences that I am making these statements. (I'm not trying to sound preachy :P ) This scoring system works for us, so that's what we're rolling with. :boogie

fesworks

Well, less than 10 days left. I probably won't bump this again.