It Hurts: 12-30-06

Started by willow186129, December 30, 2006, 03:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

I guess we wait and see. I'd expect Glory to take most of the heat, and I saw one of them had a shield somewhere...

Right hand side of panel 5 of strip 57, I believe. Abel59.jpg, anyway.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: Manawolf on December 30, 2006, 04:11:56 PM
The man has a punctured lung, that's why he can't breath.  Unfortunately, I don't think healing was that much of a skill for anyone here but the paladin.

Speaking of which, where did the barbarian and swashbuckler go?  Seriously, the sniper take them out too?

I'm fairly sure that I actually saw one of Glory's allies putting up a shield in the same strip that Xander was killed(?) in--there is a vague, blue shape in the corner of the very same panel that his hand was, and I'm assuming that was a shield, since a fireball was aimed directly toward it. Dang, is that Creature ever a multi-tasker.

I think someone once guessed that it was a clan symbol (Kittah's) when I was but a wee lurker.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Might be two different Creatures, Keaton. Remember that at this stage of the fight, there was the one on the roof and the one in the tower.

Admittedly the one on the roof swapped ammo pretty darn quickly, if that's what they did...

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 30, 2006, 05:52:34 PM
Might be two different Creatures, Keaton. Remember that at this stage of the fight, there was the one on the roof and the one in the tower.

Admittedly the one on the roof swapped ammo pretty darn quickly, if that's what they did...

Hmm, point. Just, are we talking about the roof of the watchtower, or on the fort itself? Because I think a creature would've come rather close to being skewered if he happened to be resting on the same place that became an icicle nest.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Faerie Alex

Quote from: FireKatKid on December 30, 2006, 03:47:29 PM
He's obviously just mumbling about his love for Xander. Devin's got the hots for spots. D:
I was thinking something like that...the last word does kinda look like "love" instead of "move" to me.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Aridas

He can't love? >_>

There's too much of a space if you were to take it that way.

bigj

Quote from: Gornemant on December 30, 2006, 07:26:54 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on December 30, 2006, 05:50:56 AM
Who says its thoughts that he's hearing?  I have no idea what reanimation feels like or how long it takes but this could be the start of the undead race. (or at least a increase to their numbers)

That kind of fits with the the "can't breath" and "It hurts" voices, I would expect 'so cold' to be heard as well soon, maybe with a little a little screaming as some of them realise whats going on.

Damn thats a creepy thought. Of course being stuck somewhere with a head full of dying peoples thoughts is pretty nasty as well but at least they won't come up to you looking for their loved ones/legs.
usually it takes longer than a few second for someone to die :x
I personally know someone who was clinically dead in one fashion or another for 45 minutes and is still alive today. Death, unless from the most extreme trauma, is not a straight line. Various organs, functions, and parts of consciousness die in differing order and at varying speeds.

Poor Abel... Poor Devin...  :mowsad

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 03:04:34 PMIf a fully-trained 'cubi can trap and eat souls, it also follows that 'cubi should be able to sense them, and I'd wager it's a damn sight easier if the soul has just detached from the body.

Depends on the details of the Furrae afterlife.  I suspect that souls of the deceased are not physically connected to a time and place, like Ghost or Hamlet or Field of Dreams, which seems to be a sort of animistic theory of souls.

So I think he's hearing his dying thoughts.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kibin

Technically, I thought that cubi eat emotions, not souls? The eating of the soul is more like torture, a cubi that consumes laughter might tickle their prey to death for example.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 30, 2006, 08:20:35 PM
Depends on the details of the Furrae afterlife.  I suspect that souls of the deceased are not physically connected to a time and place, like Ghost or Hamlet or Field of Dreams, which seems to be a sort of animistic theory of souls.

Difficult to work out what you're thinking here, because that's not quite what I meant.  As you say, it depends very much on the mechanics of the Furrae afterlife, details of which we do not current have.

I'm not suggesting that Devin is permanently tied to the location of his death so much that he's become separated from his body a'la #175 until 'the management' deals with him, whether it be Jack or the tunnel of light business in the 'Warrior For Hire' arc.

(Yes, I know the 175 arc was "rolled back" - whether that makes the concept invalid is an open question :S )

Quote from: Kibin on December 30, 2006, 08:36:40 PM
Technically, I thought that cubi eat emotions, not souls?

They eat energy, at least that's what the calendar says.  They are equipped to run off emotional energy and dream energy (add that to the wiki).  But yes, they can and often do devour people's souls which greatly increases their power and lifespan.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kibin

Oookay, put cubi on the "do not anger or they will eat your immortal soul" list...

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 08:41:26 PMI'm not suggesting that Devin is permanently tied to the location of his death so much that he's become separated from his body a'la #175 until 'the management' deals with him, whether it be Jack or the tunnel of light business in the 'Warrior For Hire' arc.

(Yes, I know the 175 arc was "rolled back" - whether that makes the concept invalid is an open question :S )

Well, fair enough.  I suspect that this might apply to spectres and ghosts, but not to souls in general.  My suspicion is that without a body to tie them to this world, souls just zap directly to their eternal reward, without passing GO or collecting 2 denarii.

This might be my personal religious beliefs coloring my view of Amber's world, but as I say, souls physically leaving the body sounds kinda archaic.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 08:41:26 PMBut yes, they can and often do devour people's souls which greatly increases their power and lifespan.

Has this been established in Amber's demonology?  Just curious.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 30, 2006, 08:52:25 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 08:41:26 PMBut yes, they can and often do devour people's souls which greatly increases their power and lifespan.

Has this been established in Amber's demonology?  Just curious.

Well, she's said it several times on the forums, but since you ask, here's an extract from the 'Cubi entry in the Demonology:

"..while many Cubi are content to live lives peacefully simply absorbing energy, quite a few Cubi will gladly go for the power boost [soul stealing] that requires a bit of cruelty but gets more results a lot faster."

and:

"Much like their demonic cousins, Cubi seem intent on gaining power as it not only increases their lifespan and allows them special abilities, it is a prime focus of their clans goals."

**EDIT**
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=746.msg18019#msg18019

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 09:00:47 PMWell, she's said it several times on the forums, but since you ask, here's an extract from the 'Cubi entry in the Demonology

Thanks, but I didn't necessarily mean Fluffy's Demonology 101.  Any of Amber's statements on the topic will do.

Specifically, the question is this: `cubi can feed on souls to extend their lives, but do they need to?

That picture in the attic certainly helped Dorian Gray live longer, but he was survived by those without the aid of magical paintings.

Alondro

Quote from: Kibin on December 30, 2006, 08:47:34 PM
Oookay, put cubi on the "do not anger or they will eat your immortal soul" list...

*Charline grins*  My dear, you don't need to get us angry for us to do that.  You just have to have an appetizing soul...

Yours could use some nutmeg...  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

Meh, I already lost my soul in a bizarre gardening accident.

Supercheese

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 30, 2006, 11:28:07 PM
Meh, I already lost my soul in a bizarre gardening accident.

Mistook a reaper for a Reaper, didja?

ShiningShadow

I think it Abel is developing the powers when the headwings appears. These things happens when stressful and dangerous situations arises and to hear Devin painfull words it's taking a toll on poor Abels mind. If that academy taught anything to abel about healing spells I hope he has some to give to Devin to save his life. If the chest wound is too much for Abel to handle then he has to hope that Glory will come and save Devin. I do know if Abel is a Libarian and can't do the skills of healing Devin. I don't know what will happens next I can't wait  :eager.

Arcalane

Quote from: Kibin on December 30, 2006, 08:36:40 PM
Technically, I thought that cubi eat emotions, not souls? The eating of the soul is more like torture, a cubi that consumes laughter might tickle their prey to death for example.

They can 'leech' emotions, but some of them go in for the whole soul-devouring deal. It's like you're faced with a cup filled with a substance that can extend your lifespan. Some will sip at it from time to time, and some will take it all in one go.

`cubi are just faced with multiple cups*. :B

Although I'm guessing the 'value' of the soul is probably based on personality, memory, and such. Getting the soul of, say, a famous adventurer, would give a longer boost than getting the soul of an average commoner. :P

(*millions of little cups on legs, walking around like little Happy Meals, just waiting to be eaten. Cookie to whoever gets the quote! :P)

Amber Williams

Quote from: Sheridan on December 31, 2006, 04:42:26 AM
(*millions of little cups on legs, walking around like little Happy Meals, just waiting to be eaten. Cookie to whoever gets the quote! :P)

Spike from Buffy when he's telling her why he doesn't want to let Angelus destroy the world?

Curse you DMoon and making me watch Buffy! D:

Zedd

Bufffy never stuck to me strange enough

Arcalane

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 31, 2006, 04:51:27 AM
Quote from: Sheridan on December 31, 2006, 04:42:26 AM

Spike from Buffy when he's telling her why he doesn't want to let Angelus destroy the world?

Curse you DMoon and making me watch Buffy! D:

Yup. But I can't find any cookies now.  :dface

EDIT: But I did find the image I wanted!

:B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 30, 2006, 08:41:26 PM
They eat energy, at least that's what the calendar says.  They are equipped to run off emotional energy and dream energy (add that to the wiki).  But yes, they can and often do devour people's souls which greatly increases their power and lifespan.

... which makes one wonder what happens if you plug a Cubi into the mains....

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2006, 07:49:48 AM
They eat energy, at least that's what the calendar says.  They are equipped to run off emotional energy and dream energy (add that to the wiki). 

About the same as if you tried to put crude oil into the petrol tank, or tried to eat raw carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
Element resistance notwithstanding, it would probably count as 'killed by normal means' especially if you flew into a 250kv 3-phase transmission line.

I'll probably be doing an in-depth look at 'alternative energy' sometime in 2007 when Jakob's past runs out...

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 31, 2006, 12:23:25 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2006, 07:49:48 AM
They eat energy, at least that's what the calendar says.  They are equipped to run off emotional energy and dream energy (add that to the wiki). 

About the same as if you tried to put crude oil into the petrol tank, or tried to eat raw carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
Element resistance notwithstanding, it would probably count as 'killed by normal means' especially if you flew into a 250kv 3-phase transmission line.

I'll probably be doing an in-depth look at 'alternative energy' sometime in 2007 when Jakob's past runs out...

Blame Rig for making me live so long....

Aleolus

OK, I see two possibilities at this point.  One, Able will realize he can use the magic he's learned how to use to heal Devin from the point of death, thus cementing their friendship and causing them both to go forth and SMITE whoever it is attacking them, or, option two, Devin dies (:crying :crying), causing Abel to go totally Berzerk, which will scare everyone else around, and eventually lead to Abel's going to Saia to find a place where he can belong.

willow186129

Quote from: Aleolus on December 31, 2006, 02:26:23 PM
OK, I see two possibilities at this point.  One, Able will realize he can use the magic he's learned how to use to heal Devin from the point of death, thus cementing their friendship and causing them both to go forth and SMITE whoever it is attacking them, or, option two, Devin dies (:crying :crying), causing Abel to go totally Berzerk, which will scare everyone else around, and eventually lead to Abel's going to Saia to find a place where he can belong.

I like the first one  :3

>> That'll hopefully....hopefully....be the one that ends up happening.

Sunblink

Quote from: Alondro on December 30, 2006, 11:08:07 PM

*Charline grins*  My dear, you don't need to get us angry for us to do that.  You just have to have an appetizing soul...

Yours could use some nutmeg...  >:3

Aww, but you wouldn't eat MY soul, now would you? :3 *flutters headwings and gives you her most precocious stare possible*

As for my opinion of what will happen next... here's what I think'll happen. Abel might crawl over to Devin's corpse to see if he's actually talking, following the thoughts he has been picking up. Upon realizing that the voice he's hearing is in his head, he'll freak out, too preoccupied with his own horror to realize that the creature has only ceased fire in order to appear behind Abel--here I think it might be another Cubi, one of Abel's relatives, or just a member of the same clan that Abel is part of--and recognize him in one way or another. Thus, this reveals the identity of the creature to us.

Another option is the one that everyone else seems to be going through: Glory comes back after slaying the creature, only to see Abel near Devin's dead body and assume the worst.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Angel

First, I must react to the comic.

Whoa. Just whoa. This has become a very stressful day indeed for Abel. And at first I thought Devin might have been talking somehow, but when I read the other posts I realized...

Aw expletive. Poor Abel. Poor Devin. It must suck to be alive when you're bleeding and in a lot of pain and can't breathe and... :(

And now, the speculation!

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 31, 2006, 02:48:45 PM

As for my opinion of what will happen next... here's what I think'll happen. Abel might crawl over to Devin's corpse to see if he's actually talking, following the thoughts he has been picking up. Upon realizing that the voice he's hearing is in his head, he'll freak out, too preoccupied with his own horror to realize that the creature has only ceased fire in order to appear behind Abel--here I think it might be another Cubi, one of Abel's relatives, or just a member of the same clan that Abel is part of--and recognize him in one way or another. Thus, this reveals the identity of the creature to us.

I'm thinking it's likely either Fa'Lina or Destania in that scenario. I was tempted to say Kria but then I remembered that she would have eaten the victims.

Dude - what if it's his biological parent (assuming it's neither May nor Cid)? I see another scenario... The Creature is his parent. S/he was about to kill Abel, but saw the headwings and fur and realized who Abel was. As s/he is leaving, Abel sees the marking on his/her back and gets a dawning realization. If he returns home, he'll probably mention it to his parents and depending on whether or not my theory is correct, one of Abel's parents will have an explanation.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 31, 2006, 02:48:45 PMAnother option is the one that everyone else seems to be going through: Glory comes back after slaying the creature, only to see Abel near Devin's dead body and assume the worst.

This seems very likely to me as well. She may know that the spear in Devin's throat isn't Abel's fault, but she didn't trust Abel to begin with, and thus will probably attack him anyway. So it may be best if the creature killed Glory.

The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on December 31, 2006, 03:21:41 PMIf he returns home, he'll probably mention it to his parents and depending on whether or not my theory is correct, one of Abel's parents will have an explanation.

The problem with this theory is that I doubt that this creature would leave Abel's parents alive.