Honesty hurts 27/12/06

Started by Zedd, December 27, 2006, 02:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 27, 2006, 05:02:27 AM
But as we already know, cyra clan cubi are rare,
Er, do we know that?  Cyra Clan is supposed to be high and powerful according to Dan's bio.  While I suppose it's possible that it consists of a handful of extremely powerful and influential members, I rather doubt it.
Abel's clan does supposedly consist of a handful of scattered members and that makes his clan 'virtually extinct'.  So I'd expect there to be a few dozen Cyra members at the very least...

Quote from: Stygian on December 27, 2006, 06:26:26 AM
In any case, now is not the time to cop out and make the story unbearably clear. How many revelations have we had in the latest few strips? Too many, that's my opinion. You need to keep some suspense...
Agreed.

I have little else to add...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Well you do notice that you don't see very many cyra clan around, don't you? ;P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 27, 2006, 07:28:08 AM
Well you do notice that you don't see very many cyra clan around, don't you? ;P
You don't see many other 'cubi, either... or do you?  >:3

Aridas

I was going to go by the assumption that clans would tend to share distinguishable features other than clan markings, but I could probably throw that one out the window. It still seems to me that the dragons have done something though, to get Destania so.. uh... crazy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 27, 2006, 07:41:21 AM
I was going to go by the assumption that clans would tend to share distinguishable features other than clan markings, but I could probably throw that one out the window.
Well there's the dragon heads and the pain thing, but that's not something you'd spot at first sight (not unless they tried to kill you, anyway).

QuoteIt still seems to me that the dragons have done something though, to get Destania so.. uh... crazy.
Good point, although I'm still thinking that Fa'Lina put her up to it since she seems to have a finger in all the pies, as it were.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Actually.. maybe it's jsut me, but I tend to think that Destania is not as simple-minded - nor as single-minded - as her conversations with Biggs may make her out to be.

Take, for example, Fa'Lina. Does -anyone- take anything she says for granted as being clear and straightforward? No? I thought not. Destania is almost as old as Fa'Lina. You can bet that she's going to be a lot brighter than she seems - and she seems smart enough already.

After all, it's not like you can survive to >7000 years without being at least a -little- street smart...

Of course, I may well be just reading more in to the comic than Amber ever put into it, which wouldn't surprise me at all. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 27, 2006, 07:56:07 AM
Actually.. maybe it's jsut me, but I tend to think that Destania is not as simple-minded - nor as single-minded - as her conversations with Biggs may make her out to be.

We know she can be stubborn though, and that despite their allegedly short attention spans, 'cubi can get locked into long-drawn out feuds.  Otherwise the clan rivalries would just have fizzled out.

QuoteTake, for example, Fa'Lina. Does -anyone- take anything she says for granted as being clear and straightforward? No? I thought not. Destania is almost as old as Fa'Lina. You can bet that she's going to be a lot brighter than she seems - and she seems smart enough already.

True, but she was like 2500 when the young Destania was brought into her care.  And she seems to be an expert manipulator.  If the Dragon business is Fa'Lina's idea, she could have drummed it into Destania over the course of seven millennia, starting from when Dee was young and malleable.

Caswin

So from what I'm hearing, this is supposed to be making everything clear and revealed and everything, but... well, Fa'Lina has managed to lose me over the last two comics.  What's going on?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nobody knows.

Well.. apart from Amber, who is snickering up her sleeves at us all. :-)

Madmann135

I'm wondering why Cyra clan is considered a powerful clan.. I have numerous guesses but I don't have evidence to prove it.

A few dragon related guesses.
1 - Cyra clan likes the souls of dragons, hense the dragon tentical head thingeys.
2 - Dragons don't like Cyra clan so they got strong to fight the dragons.
3 - A Cyra clan and a dragon fell in love and the offspring is considered an abomination by dragon kind and therefore must be removed.
4 - A dragon found out that a Cyra clan member tasted good and the Cyra clan wants revenge.

I wonder where did Pyro and Pink Poodle first see each other?

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

thetire

the day the feud started was around the same time that pink spray paint was invented. No dragon could ever look anyone in the eyes if he had pink nails!  :mwaha

Madmann135

so your saying that a Cyra clan member spraypainted a dragon's nails pink and that started the fude?

I think pink nails coud be explained by "had lunch and didn't clean up properly"

If it was spray paint I think painting "you dragons suck" on the back of a dragon would start it.
Or 
painting circles around a dragon's eyes.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

superluser

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 27, 2006, 06:00:19 AMRandom thought 2: What sort of "Nice" does Fa'Lina mean? The nice "Nice, or the naughty "Nice"?

I say it means fastidious, the real definition from the 16th century.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 27, 2006, 08:18:19 AMIf the Dragon business is Fa'Lina's idea, she could have drummed it into Destania over the course of seven millennia, starting from when Dee was young and malleable.

Well, that may be so, but it doesn't explain why she would make such a claim about the feud being a Cyra/Dan thing.  Also, why would Pyro specifically request that Fa'Lina talk to Abel, but not Aary?

Quote from: Stygian on December 27, 2006, 06:26:26 AM...I'm not sure how that all makes sense. Probably it doesn't. Hokay...

Yes.  I am currently running on two hours sleep.  Sorry about that.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kibin

The reason why the dragons are against Cyra clan members could possibly be because a member of the Cyra clan wronged the dragons in some way, probably something like stiffing the dragons on a deal. This has grown to be a feud between the two. It's possible Dan is in danger because as he is still young and inexperienced, he's a lot easier to take down than, say, Destania, and thus an easier target for the dragons to strike against the Cyra clan.

Destania's plotting would thus be part of this feud, and she would then have to have some way to wage a war against the dragons that she believes that she is going to win and that is going to be over fairly quickly. It might be related to the kidnapping that Biggs(and Destania) is doing. It also might be that speaking of the end of the dragon race is simply metaphorical, and that she's thinking of simply removing the dragon race from power, by economic means or something similar. Kidnapp people to gain information about the dragon's economic power, and once you have enough information, strike against them by a stock market crash or something like that.

thetire

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 27, 2006, 01:43:24 PM
so your saying that a Cyra clan member spraypainted a dragon's nails pink and that started the fude?

I think pink nails coud be explained by "had lunch and didn't clean up properly"

If it was spray paint I think painting "you dragons suck" on the back of a dragon would start it.
Or 
painting circles around a dragon's eyes.

*cough* not that I would know anything about that...  :animesweat

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 27, 2006, 07:14:02 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 27, 2006, 05:02:27 AM
But as we already know, cyra clan cubi are rare,
Er, do we know that?  Cyra Clan is supposed to be high and powerful according to Dan's bio.  While I suppose it's possible that it consists of a handful of extremely powerful and influential members, I rather doubt it.
Abel's clan does supposedly consist of a handful of scattered members and that makes his clan 'virtually extinct'.  So I'd expect there to be a few dozen Cyra members at the very least...
I have little else to add...

Other than I am the soul survivor of my own clain...Who looms like a mushroom?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on December 27, 2006, 01:49:06 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 27, 2006, 06:00:19 AMRandom thought 2: What sort of "Nice" does Fa'Lina mean? The nice "Nice, or the naughty "Nice"?

I say it means fastidious, the real definition from the 16th century.

You mean "scrupulously correct" ?

Alan Garou

Fa'Lina is obviously the mistress of the loophole. Awesome.  :)

Aleolus

...Ok, Fa'lina, could you be more vauge?  I mean, oi vey!

Alondro

*Charline hmms*  Cyra clan... *gasp!*  It's a racist attack by the CCC!  The Cyra Cats Clan!  They'll burn effigees on the dragons' front lawns!  They'll burn down dragon temples!  They'll force dragons to sit on the back ends of busses.. literallt sitting ON the back ends of busses...)  And look!  They're already keeping cubi and dragons segregated!  NOW it makes sense why Dan is a racist!  His whole clan is a bunch of evil hatemongers!   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on December 27, 2006, 07:29:10 PMIt's a racist attack by the CCC!  The Council of Conservative `Cubi!

Fixed that for ya.

Quote from: Alondro on December 27, 2006, 07:29:10 PMNOW it makes sense why Dan is a racist!  His whole clan is a bunch of evil hatemongers!   :U

And as we all know, it's been proven that you can predict the behavior of any organism by knowing what race clan he is.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on December 27, 2006, 07:40:34 PM
Quote from: Alondro on December 27, 2006, 07:29:10 PMIt's a racist attack by the CCC!  The Council of Conservative `Cubi!

Fixed that for ya.

Quote from: Alondro on December 27, 2006, 07:29:10 PMNOW it makes sense why Dan is a racist!  His whole clan is a bunch of evil hatemongers!   :U

And as we all know, it's been proven that you can predict the behavior of any organism by knowing what race clan he is.

Well, it would have been a good point if he'd been raised by his own clan... oh, wait, how long was he raised by his mother before she left?  I don't remember hearing how old he was when she did.  A child will generally imprint with thier parent's prejudices fairly quickly, so it would really depend on 1: how long Destania stuck around, and 2: whether or not Edward would have conflicting or reinforcing views of the dragon race.

If his parents both were prejudiced against dragons, it would be a very reasonable explanation to dan's own behavior (Which has been reinforced by personal experience as well.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Alan Garou on December 27, 2006, 06:47:22 PM
Fa'Lina is obviously the mistress of the loophole. Awesome.  :)

or it could be that amber s queen of the plotholes.but I didn't say anything.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Imperial fox

what is it with Dragons and the Cyra clan, honestly?
is it that they just hate eachother for no apparent reason.
or the clan is nearly wiped out so they would easily pick them off?
or
Cubi and Dragons just hate eachother?

Zedd

Quote from: Blade Fox on December 27, 2006, 11:12:03 PM
what is it with Dragons and the Cyra clan, honestly?
is it that they just hate eachother for no apparent reason.
or the clan is nearly wiped out so they would easily pick them off?
or
Cubi and Dragons just hate eachother?

Its just a romanice that can never be healed and stiched

Taross

Didn't dragons already kill Dan once? :P

Kibin

Quote from: Taross on December 28, 2006, 01:58:57 AM
Didn't dragons already kill Dan once? :P

That entire storyline was retconned.

Alondro

*Charles snerks*  I'm Conservative, BTW, superluser.   And yer obvee-usly a Lib'ral!  Now I gotcha ya pinko commie-nazi-Frenchman!  Time ta break of the Confed'rat flag an' git dem crosses a' burnin'!  Yee-haw!  NASCAR!  Where's mah cousin?  I needs to inbreed s'more!   :B

As for Dan being a racist, I wasn't referring to dragons.  I was referring to his racism against his own kind (though he hadn't exactly had any reasons to think otherwise up to this point, and Abel himself has admitted to Jyrras that most cubi are jerks... and Fa'lina did sorta bash him over the head... and Dr. Ink did sorta perform horrific tests upon him... and Arryanna didn't exactly help matters by constantly insisting that Dan tear apart young girls and devour their souls... uhm, I think maybe he has a valid excuse). 

My little farce is that Dan's clan is a hard-wired hate-mongering clan.  It stems from the fact that cubi clans are already programmed to have a preference for certain types of emotions, therefore why couldn't it apply to other behaviors as well?  A focus on one particular type of emotion would also tend to lead the clan members to certain actions that would then generate more of the emotion they feed upon.  Racism would lead to pain, obviously, in one form or another.  It'd become a self-reinforcing attitude, as they would gain strength from it, which would allow them to hate even more strongly and cause more pain, which would give them even more energy, and so on. 

And certainly there must be a clan out there that specializes in hate, regardless, since we must assume that all emotions are covered in the cubi races, unless the pure-hate clans were among those wiped out in the cubi wars.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

ShiningShadow

I knew Falina has a hand in this war against the dragons. I never trusted her since she first appeared. There is a war comming and Dan is the only one that he could stop it being from the Cyra Clan. I bet he's so powerful that he doesn't know it.

Alondro

Uhm... yeah... Dan will be the only cubi capable of acheiving the tetra-wing power level... cuz he's a half-breed and all half-breeds have WAY more power than pure-breds (except Inuyasha, who only has power because of his sword, otherwise he's a wussy lil demon compared to Sessomaru).  Oh wait!  Dan got a sword from matilda!  So that'll be the magic sword he was destined to get from his father... but his father was only an adventurer.  Hmm...

Okay, how's about this.  Dan's grandfather on his mother's side (obviously not he clan founder or Dan and destania wouldn't have tentacle heads) made a sword out of one of his wing-tentacles just before being slain by Edward.  Edward took the sword as a trophy, not realizing the hidden powers within!  Destania, already a grown cubi at the Academy, knows nothing of this and one day met up with Edward, had Dan; and now Dan by a mysterious power of fate as the sword and will soon unlock its tremendous power which will make him strong wnough to defeat even the wicked Dr. Ink, who is actually a being who gave his soul to the demons and gained tremendous powers and abilities and now seeks to destroy Inuya... er... Dan, who is destined to destroy him.  But he didn't do it at SAIA because Fa'lina would have sensed his true identity and destroyed him then and there, cuz she's mysteriously powerful too, thus he merely tested Dan to confirm his identity and knowledge of where he lives.  Dr. Ink is driving things behind the scenes to get Dan killed in battle so he won't have to do it.  He'll force Jy-squeak to kill the ones he loves by making him think they've betrayed him: Dan, Abel, Lorenda, and whoever else he gets a crush on eventually.  And after that, Dan is pinned with a techno-magic arrow to the ancient ale keg for 50 years until he realizes his true power and ascends to Super Cubyan level 600000000, thus easily destroying Dr. Ink and saving the world, after which they all celebrate with korean BBQ.

And that's what'll happen.   :3