Tech support: $.002 == .002 cents

Started by superluser, December 11, 2006, 08:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Halfway through this, you *will* start screaming.

Guy gets quoted a rate of .002 cents, gets charged $.002, and after thirty minutes of tech support time, no one can understand basic arithmetic.

Also made it on slashdot

(``Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.'')

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

xHaZxMaTx

Alan Garou

Yet again, tech support call recordings prove that 91.28% of the people in the world are complete and utter idiots who can't get a simple concept through their thick skulls.

Zedd

Aridas

well, they're tech support, not math support...

xHaZxMaTx

My sister's fiance actually works as tech support for Boost Mobile-  he says he gets a lot of stupid calls from a lot of stupid people.

Chaos

...You know, I work Verizon Tech Support. 3 things in my defence.

1. I'm Tech support, not billing, this is not related to me...
2. For that matter this seems to be Verizon Mobile, again not me
3. Trust me when I  say they are both idiots. I would have said, in the second call, and to quote "The main problem here is that if I am paying what I was quoted, I would be paying 71 cents, not $71. This is a difference, a large one. "

Confusion Solved.

mini-lion

That just seems beyond unbelieveable, all the guy wants to do is sort out his payment.

superluser

Quote from: Chaos on December 12, 2006, 03:18:30 AM3. Trust me when I  say they are both idiots. I would have said, in the second call, and to quote "The main problem here is that if I am paying what I was quoted, I would be paying 71 cents, not $71. This is a difference, a large one. "

Confusion Solved.

No, confusion still present.  That's what he said.  Repeatedly.  I found a longer version, where he says ``My, my bill according to what you quoted me should be 71 cents not 71 dollars.'' at around the 20:30 mark.

Recall, also, that he probably didn't record the previous calls, because he assumed that it wouldn't be any problem because people understand math.

P.S. I want my two dollars!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on December 11, 2006, 09:07:26 PM
*Brain snaps in half.*
Quote from: Zedd on December 11, 2006, 11:58:29 PM
OOOOWWWW!! MY BRRRAIIINS!

my remaining thoughts exactly...*twitch twitch* frig... I've got to do academic math homework later too...

xHaZxMaTx

No, I understand it, it just amazes me that so many people can be so ignorant.  Well... not really. :P

Vidar

Quote from: superluser on December 11, 2006, 08:30:33 PM
Halfway through this, you *will* start screaming.

Guy gets quoted a rate of .002 cents, gets charged $.002, and after thirty minutes of tech support time, no one can understand basic arithmetic.

Also made it on slashdot

(``Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.'')

AAAAARGH! MUST DESTROY STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

* rampages around the world, destroying everyone with an IQ of 120 or less. *
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

fesworks

It's simple math!

Also, the guy was doing a poor job of explaining it in my opinion.

I don;t think I heard once him say "$.002 = .2 cents"

This is how I would explain it:

"What the Math says I am being billed is calculated for .2 cents. The actual rate, as predetermined by your computer system is actually $.002 or .2 cents per kilobyte. What I was quoted by your people was ".002 cents" which is actually $.0002. As you have inputted into your computer is that I was quoted at .002 cents (NOT $.002), I was then MIS-quoted a price that is 100x cheaper than the actual rate. Since I was quoted at this lower price than what your computer is charging me for, and made my decision to use your service, I am only legally obligated to pay the price of which I was quoted, which the math comes out to 71.79 cents."

And if they don't get that, I'd say "I'm going to beat you with a .001 Kilometer stick."

HealingBlight

They should make people listen to that all day! :D

Vidar

Quote from: HealingBlight on December 18, 2006, 04:05:04 PM
They should make people listen to that all day! :D

That would be cruel.

* subjects disliked people to the .002 cents torture method *
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</