12/12/06 How awkward...

Started by Kasarn, December 12, 2006, 03:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stormfalcon on December 12, 2006, 12:21:27 PM
Of course, several things could happen though.  There's the ever-popular "Abel walks in and tells Dan that it's safe to remove the disguise" course of events (or variants thereof, like "Abel walks in and removes Dan's disguise spell").  Then there's the possibility of Jyrras running across the real Alexi on her way back from the Twink Territories and getting tipped off that it wasn't the real Alexi that he spilled the beans to (or worse, Alexi finding out from this that someone's been posing as her during her absence..."Stop!  Hammer Time!").

Pretty much all of those (except Jyrras-meets-the-real-Alexsi-first) can be ruled out, IMHO.  I'd be amazed if the photographer didn't return for a final word with the proprietor before leaving, and Alexsi must have been told what's going on by now.  If the inn-interview thing is really that important, her second sentence to Mab is going to be "What about the Inn?"

Mind you, Mab might not have told her that they disguised Dan as her, but that would be a pretty big oversight and I don't see Alexsi not asking for details as to just how the interview is being dealt with.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2006, 12:46:09 PMI'd be amazed if the photographer didn't return for a final word with the proprietor before leaving

But what about llearch's suggestion that the photographer says goodbye to the real Alexsi, not Danlexsi?

Also, I said I'd go hunting for similar expressions.  Dan looks awfully similar to panel 2 in 680, 626, and 489.  Also compare his bored expressions in 637 and 617.  And finally contrast Alexsi's expressions in 700, 621 and 390.

My impression?  Dan is feeling extremely petulant from having to listen to the whole spiel and being unable to respond.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 12:48:08 PM
But what about llearch's suggestion that the photographer says goodbye to the real Alexsi, not Danlexsi?

I must have missed that one.  In that case it would be Alexsi's bad and not Dan's :P

Sid

Thinking about it, I think it's unlikely that Alexsi will come back right now. The arc began with Alexsi saying that the reporter would arrive "in a couple hours", and the Rescue Party started off fairly quickly. Right now, the interview is already going on (possibly nearing the end), and Alexsi is just leaving the Twink Territory. So it should be some time till she gets home, unless Amber uses the implied time gaps (like Jyrras explaining things) to fill those few hours.

So it's possible, but I somehow doubt it. But to be fair: Amber has surprised us more than once during this arc, so I won't be surprised if she surprises us agai-... no, wait... :erk
:boogie

Ted Schiller

Quote from: secondwolf on December 12, 2006, 04:57:30 AM
I still have a feeling we are being tricked by Amber somehow... perhaps Jyrras did not reveal what we thought he revealed... or maybe thats just stupid thinking :D

Don't be silly.  We know exactly what Jyrras revealed.  He will marry Lorenda and won't have time for his old friends.    :)

With regards,
Ted

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2006, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 12:48:08 PMBut what about llearch's suggestion that the photographer says goodbye to the real Alexsi, not Danlexsi?

I must have missed that one.  In that case it would be Alexsi's bad and not Dan's :P

Well, he did try explaining it a few times.

Anyways, I don't see how that's Alexsi's fault.  What's she gonna do?

Reporter: Oh, hi!  I just wanted to thank you for letting me take a tour of your inn.  The article should make it to print in a couple months.  I'd send you an advance copy for review, but it's against our policy.

Alexsi: Yeah.  The person you were talking to before wasn't me, it was my brother, an incubus.  And that's not really Merlitz.  That's another incubus.

Quote from: Sid on December 12, 2006, 01:06:49 PMThinking about it, I think it's unlikely that Alexsi will come back right now. The arc began with Alexsi saying that the reporter would arrive "in a couple hours", and the Rescue Party started off fairly quickly. Right now, the interview is already going on (possibly nearing the end), and Alexsi is just leaving the Twink Territory. So it should be some time till she gets home, unless Amber uses the implied time gaps (like Jyrras explaining things) to fill those few hours.

Well, they made it to Twink territories in a couple of hours, and Dan is bored, so it's not impossible that they would be back by now.

Ooh!  And more speculation!  What if Jyrras knows that Merlitz is gone?  It wouldn't be unreasonable for Merlitz to ask Jyrras for some supplies before going on an adventure...

Kibin

Can't you all be OPTIMISTIC for once? And actually think that nothing will go wrong, everything will go fine, except for the few awkward moments like this comment.

Very awkward. Heh. But funny.

STAY HAPPY!  :ipod

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 01:27:02 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2006, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 12:48:08 PMBut what about llearch's suggestion that the photographer says goodbye to the real Alexsi, not Danlexsi?

Well, he did try explaining it a few times.
In one eye and out the other...

QuoteAnyways, I don't see how that's Alexsi's fault.  What's she gonna do?

What I meant was that it wouldn't be Dan's fault, after all she surely must have been briefed by the time they return, as I keep saying.

QuoteOoh!  And more speculation!  What if Jyrras knows that Merlitz is gone?  It wouldn't be unreasonable for Merlitz to ask Jyrras for some supplies before going on an adventure...

By the looks of it he was already gone while they were shopping, and Jyrras was with Abel when he was looking for a card.  Apart from that, it's a good suggestion.

ninjannihilator

^
That pic needs to go in the smiley section with the word AWKWARD on it.

Wasn't as funny as it could have been but I trust Amber she's going to take the smoothness of this situation and make it funny in another strip. It can still go wrong. Abel could see Jyrras talking to Dan, tackle him and tell him to not spill the beans because it is Dan. I think somehow, Jyrras will have a mental breakdown by the end of this arc.

And Kibin, when something goes wrong it's usually funny, we just want to see how funny.

Madmann135

OK... Jyrras told Dan about his conflicting emotions.  Dan being a smart and cleaver adventurer/incubus could possiably say "Jyrras it's not your fault, It's my uncontroled powers influncing you."

Dan's starting to grow up and become more mature, not to mention he got hit on many times while wearing his robe and looking all bishi in the past. so he's probably used to others asking him out.

that being said

That immage reminds me of many things including

1- BRAINNNSSSS!!!
2- AWKWARDDD!
3- I can't believe he said that.
4- BAD TOUCH SPOT!

All in all.
I will say that Dan acted quite mature about the subject and he probably gave Jyrras the best advice when Dan said "I really think you should talk to dan about this."  With the inital shock over Dan can act upon the subject much better than if he herd about it for the first time.

Now if you don't mind I'm gonna laugh at the post I posted

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Kibin

Yes, but subtle funny is better than that wasn't supposed to happen funny. Mainly because that wasn't supposed to happen funny tends to DELAY THE PLOT. And I want plot, dang it! Thus, I want this interview to be over already, and hoping for subtle funny, not that wasn't supposed to happen funny.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2006, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 01:27:02 PMOoh!  And more speculation!  What if Jyrras knows that Merlitz is gone?  It wouldn't be unreasonable for Merlitz to ask Jyrras for some supplies before going on an adventure...

By the looks of it he was already gone while they were shopping, and Jyrras was with Abel when he was looking for a card.  Apart from that, it's a good suggestion.

Well, you do mail cards, after all.  If you're going to see someone in person, you might as well tell him, rather than just handing someone a card and watching his reaction.  Note also that just because he says that he's interested in seeing his reaction doesn't mean that he's not interested in hanging out at the bar and waiting for Merlitz to run in screaming...

Maybe Merlitz just said that he was going on an adventure for a few days, and the state of the Furrae version of Thurn und Taxis is probably such that you can expect the mail to wait for a few days.

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:17:22 PMOK... Jyrras told Dan about his conflicting emotions.  Dan being a smart and cleaver adventurer/incubus could possiably say "Jyrras it's not your fault, It's my uncontroled powers influncing you."

I think that's kinda mean.  Nothing says extended therapy sessions like telling people that their feelings aren't genuine.

And as for ``his fault?''  How is someone's sexual identity a fault?

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 02:40:14 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:17:22 PMOK... Jyrras told Dan about his conflicting emotions. Dan being a smart and cleaver adventurer/incubus could possiably say "Jyrras it's not your fault, It's my uncontroled powers influncing you."

I think that's kinda mean. Nothing says extended therapy sessions like telling people that their feelings aren't genuine.

You're missing the potential for Dan to snap not from Jyras's crush but from his own issues about becoming an incubus. If he thought he was unknowingly influencing his friends that would shatter him.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Madmann135

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:17:22 PMOK... Jyrras told Dan about his conflicting emotions.  Dan being a smart and cleaver adventurer/incubus could possiably say "Jyrras it's not your fault, It's my uncontroled powers influncing you."

I think that's kinda mean.  Nothing says extended therapy sessions like telling people that their feelings aren't genuine.

And as for ``his fault?''  How is someone's sexual identity a fault?

I meant no offense nor cruelty, I was just saying that Dan in theory could say that Jyrras shouldn't be upset with himself but instead upset at Dan because Dan who hasn't mastered nor got a true firm grasp of his powers and therefore his powers are in a way out of control.

In a way I'm just saying that he should do what he tried to do with Matilda when they first met and she put the moves on him.

Mel Dragonkitty your right about what you said, Dan is taking be an incubus pretty hard and if his powers were to somehow harm or influence his friends and loved ones he would take it even harder.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

e_voyager

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:17:22 PM

that being said

That immage reminds me of many things including

1- BRAINNNSSSS!!!
2- AWKWARDDD!
3- I can't believe he said that.
4- BAD TOUCH SPOT!

All in all.
I will say that Dan acted quite mature about the subject and he probably gave Jyrras the best advice when Dan said "I really think you should talk to dan about this."  With the inital shock over Dan can act upon the subject much better than if he herd about it for the first time.

Now if you don't mind I'm gonna laugh at the post I posted

as funny as it may be it also reminds me of the look on his sisters face when she saw his wings come to life and attace the kitichen sink
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ninjannihilator

Yeah...Awkward, That's a pretty good word for this...
:lol

Stygian

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on December 12, 2006, 02:52:48 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:17:22 PMOK... Jyrras told Dan about his conflicting emotions. Dan being a smart and cleaver adventurer/incubus could possiably say "Jyrras it's not your fault, It's my uncontroled powers influncing you."

I think that's kinda mean. Nothing says extended therapy sessions like telling people that their feelings aren't genuine.

You're missing the potential for Dan to snap not from Jyras's crush but from his own issues about becoming an incubus. If he thought he was unknowingly influencing his friends that would shatter him.

Mel touches upon a point which I have already speculated on; do the cubi powers of attraction work to make someone appear as more attractive regardless of the attractee's sexuality, or are they dependent on it to work properly? I know that this is perhaps a bit borderline of being on the topic, but seeing as how we're all just mindlessly speculating anyhow...

superluser

Quote from: e_voyager on December 12, 2006, 03:20:21 PMas funny as it may be it also reminds me of the look on his sisters face when she saw his wings come to life and attace the kitichen sink

You are right, it does look similar.  I still say it's a very Dan expression, not an Alexsi expression.  Especially since the emotional circumstances are different.

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 12, 2006, 02:54:58 PMI was just saying that Dan in theory could say that Jyrras shouldn't be upset with himself but instead upset at Dan because Dan who hasn't mastered nor got a true firm grasp of his powers and therefore his powers are in a way out of control.

In a way I'm just saying that he should do what he tried to do with Matilda when they first met and she put the moves on him.

I don't know.  I have a strong suspicion that Jyrras' feelings are his own.  In part due to this strip.  Abel says that Jyrras has been friends with Dan since childhood, and while we never learn exactly how long he has had the crush, Abel's use of parallelism suggests that they're at least on the same order of magnitude.

And since Dan's powers haven't manifested themselves until recently, I think it's fair to say that Jyrras' feelings weren't affected by them.

Quote from: Stygian on December 12, 2006, 04:02:29 PMMel touches upon a point which I have already speculated on; do the cubi powers of attraction work to make someone appear as more attractive regardless of the attractee's sexuality, or are they dependent on it to work properly?

Well, that could explain why Devin was hitting on him...

Kibin

Dan's powers aren't manifesting? You must have missed the pants comic a month or so ago...

superluser

Quote from: Kibin on December 12, 2006, 04:17:14 PMDan's powers aren't manifesting? You must have missed the pants comic a month or so ago...

In story time or our time?

In story time, it's probably been less than a month since Dan got his acceptance letter, and far less than a year since his wings came in.

And it's not like they're born with all the powers.

Dan's powers were probably not manifest when Jyrras started having a crush on him.

GabrielsThoughts

Jyrras attraction to Dan could have occured when Jyrras had the shiny transformation sequence, obviously he was turned into a girl cubi, Jy did look an aweful lot like Amber  when he was a (Suc)Cubi.  Also one easy solution to the whole hight issue (in theory) would be for Jyrras to swap his "y" chromozome for his "x" chromazome. Meaning that Jyrras has been attracted to Dan since...um, wait (runs over calculations and scans over archive in brain) he saw a picture of him and Daniel together in his wallet when he payed Destina to let him go.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Falcarthum

Just for the fun of post it:

By the way, is there anyone besides me with a little debil in the head pleased how forgetful is Dan about his body mass arrangement?  >:3

"Fantasy & Reality are opposed sides of the same coin."
"Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity."

<== Yappity by Silverfox

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 12, 2006, 05:13:07 PMJy did look an aweful lot like Amber  when he was a (Suc)Cubi.

Huh?  I'm looking at 521 and 522, and Jyrras does not look like Amber.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on December 12, 2006, 05:13:07 PMAlso one easy solution to the whole hight issue (in theory) would be for Jyrras to swap his "y" chromozome for his "x" chromazome.

I strongly doubt that the height genes would be on the sex chromosomes.  On a purely evolutionary basis, this would lead to rapid speciation.  Small variations of the height genes would result in vastly different organisms, which would tend to interbreed within the same subset with the same genes, which would quickly result in new species which would have vastly smaller and less genetically diverse populations.

(Yes, Firefox spell check; speciation is a word.)

Netami

Quote from: superluser on December 12, 2006, 04:29:17 PM
Quote from: Kibin on December 12, 2006, 04:17:14 PMDan's powers aren't manifesting? You must have missed the pants comic a month or so ago...

In story time or our time?

In story time, it's probably been less than a month since Dan got his acceptance letter, and far less than a year since his wings came in.

And it's not like they're born with all the powers.

Dan's powers were probably not manifest when Jyrras started having a crush on him.

That fact alone makes making the timeline a HUGE pain in the ass. One real year does not = one comic year, though the timeline assumes that it's After Comic 6 and that everyone has aged six years since the comic started in 2000. So, so wrong.

Cheese Foxlee

Dan is taking things pretty well.

Boog

Well, on the plus side, Dan is definatly willing to talk to Jyrras about this. I just love the look on his/her face. :D

Stygian

Absolutely not. You can't ever think you're the only one as lewd as that. There are loads out there... *gazes over his shoulder on the rest of the forum, with that "They are coming..." look to him*

Question is though; Alexsi being an amazon, and an admittedly powerful and independent and "active" woman... would she not move like that?

And the strip I believe you are searching for is this; http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_350.php

Funny. Nothing very romantic about this one. I think you had it mixed up with Abel's...

superluser

Quote from: Stygian on December 12, 2006, 06:13:44 PMAbsolutely not. You can't ever think you're the only one as lewd as that. There are loads out there... *gazes over his shoulder on the rest of the forum, with that "They are coming..." look to him*

It definitely smacks of fanservice.  I'm not looking at it mainly because it seems kind of cheap.

Switching gears, I do think that Dan's look here would be the perfect one for Jyrras when he finds out that he wasn't talking to Alexsi.  Either that or the one from 612.

e_voyager

personally i think the crush came about when Dan save Jy-Jy form his sister's then the went to jump lover's leap together. hey lest jump this cliff.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Kenji

Quote from: e_voyager on December 12, 2006, 07:39:06 PM
personally i think the crush came about when Dan save Jy-Jy form his sister's then the went to bump lover's leap together. hey lest jump this cliff.

That's only cause Dan held him all the way down.