DSE: Chapter 1 | The Beginnings [The Show Hits the Road] [RP]

Started by Arcalane, November 10, 2006, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Following assembly and launch, the DSEV 1 arrives on the borders of the Amta system, some several million kilometers out from the 5th world. From here, sensors indicate the star is a fairly average reddish orange one, much like Sol's star. There are five planets, and two asteroid belts according to sensors.

As the ship arrives in system, the crew are assembled on the bridge. Accompanying the main crew are several Athure Corp. employees to assist you - a total of around 10, in fact. A Science Officer, three Security Officers, two Mechanics, an Engineer and three Ensigns of nondescript occupation (aka Redshirts). All are human.

Amta I
Amta I is a large backwater planet that's surface is roughly 70% water. The atmosphere appears to be oxygen/nitrogen based, much like Terra's. Sensors cannot detect anything more accurate from this distance, however.

Amta II, III, IV & V
Amta II through V are all generic gas giants, mostly with hydrogen atmospheres.

Asteroid Belts
An asteroid belt rests between Amta I and Amta II. Scans seem promising, but not too good. The second asteroid belt is sparsely split between Amta IV and Amta V. Interference from the gas giants is causing scanning difficulties.

Shortly after arrival and the initial scans are completed, your ship receives a hail from the Monitoring Station - BZ-5X9. Actions?

Boog

((OOC: First Post! Nyehehehehehe!))

Rickardo... Stays at his station. Messages aren't his job. He's making sure not to do much else other than his job lately; his fellow crewmates are mostly organics, and he'd heard somewhere that they're volitile. So he's been keeping his head down and doing his job, keeping an audio receptor open to whatever happens.

Stygian

Always a bit of a recluse, Stygian returned to his cramped quarters near the engineering section. He went through his things and cleaned up what wasn't in order, then sat down on his small bunk bed and lit up a smoke while thinking to himself, and keeping a small pilfered comm pad online.

ITOS

Angel sighed and tapped the screen displaying sensor data, the station's hail was totally irrelevant to her.

"I'm a fighter, not an engineer." she murmured to herself and tried to figure out how to get the sensors to make another scan of the outer belt. If it contained large asteroids it was more likely that she would have to go out to drill for samples.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

bill

Miles sighed, and keyed the PA input at his terminal.

"Wow, this sounds like a job for say, a communications officer. Do we have a mister, uh... Thivirith in the house?"

(ooc) Possibly not, as he hasn't posted since early October.

Azlan

"Officer Thivirith is off shift at the moment.  since I am the watch officer at the moment I will take that position for now.

Locklear made the appropriate notations on the communication console's log book to record his use of the system when the shift change went into affect.  He maneuvered his tail into the appropriate spot in the universal seat and began keying into the console with it before taking over with his hands. 

He activated the proper channel and with a cheerful smile began the dialogue, "This is DSEV 1 acknowledging hail from BZ-5X9.  Good Morning/day/afternoon or night sir, ma'am or other.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Arcalane

The main screen turns on (*meanwhile, DM purges Wing Zero from memory*) to reveal one of BZ-5X9's scientist staff. He is human, and his voice is very similar to that of Dr. Kleiner from Half-Life 2.

"Ah, good. I see you made it one piece. Now as I'm sure you know you have orders to survey the asteroid belts in this system. I suggest extreme caution when dealing with the outermost belt, as our scans indicate that it is mostly made of useless rock. The expenditures of scanning would probably outweigh the benefits of the data."

He looks to the side and picks up a clipboard, reading it.

"Hmmmm... yes... good... ah, here we are. Now according to our scans the surface of the primary planet is breathable to human species. Due to the low value of the outer belt, Athure has requested a change in mission parameters. They want you to take a shuttle down to explore some anomalous terrain. Old records indicate that an old Corporate Freighter landed on the planet several hundred years ago, and contact was lost since then. Naturally the Freighter is not one of Athure's, but nevertheless they are interested in what it may hold, or may have held."

The scientist smiles.

"Of course the planetary operations are entirely optional, but Athure are offering a small sum of credits on top of the standard mission completion payment. Oh, and, er, one more thing - the planet's atmosphere is mildly toxic and could cause minor illness from prolonged exposure without a filter pack. However they're standard equipment for a DSEV, so there should be a crate of them in the cargo hold. Right, I think that's everything... is there anything you need to ask? I have some critical tests to perform."

Stygian

At the last statement, Sebastian smiled lightly, teeth clenching around his cigarette. Toxic atmosphere and a search and excavation job. Great. He guessed that he would be one "volunteer" for this one then. But, he wasn't about to complain. It was solid ground under you anyhow, no matter what kind of rock it proved to be. He was curious as to what of importance a hundred-year old freighter might have hauled though.

ITOS

Angel turned around and leaned against the sensor console. No use trying to figure out all the acronyms and strange symbols she couldn't understand. The new side mission was of more relevance.

Convenient that most of us have weapon experience. She thought to herself. The loss of contact could have been caused by a bad landing/takeoff or... a hostile environment.

Admittedly, she was curious about this lost ship but unknown enemies and ground combat was pretty much the opposite of her usual situation.

Azlan

Locklear considered the information and continued his dialogue, "Thank you, very interesting opportunity.  If I might inquire, what was the freighter carrying?  What is the nature of the toxic substance found in the atmosphere?

Locklear paused and tapped his nose with the stylus, then with what appears to be sudden recognition in his eyes, his ears perk up and his tail bats about as he swivels around to face the screen fully, "What is the possibility of intelligent life on this planet... more so, if it is present, what is the likelyhood their culture has been influenced, developed or come about because of this freighter?  We could be facing a serious case of a cargo cult... hopefully one that developed the hairdryer before the wheel..."

Arcalane

"We are unsure of the Freighter's cargo, hence why we are offering a reward for recovery of the manifest logs. The toxicity situation with the atmosphere is... hard to pinpoint. It contains a higher level of some gases than a Earth-like atmosphere, as well as trace elements not usually found in such atmospheres."

The scientist thinks for a minute. "The possibility is low, but it is not impossible that some crew survived the impact and had an influence on any natives there might have been - despite the toxicity, it is low enough to have allowed them significant time to adapt. Unlikely, but still possible. Or the alternative that any intelligent life may be direct descendants of the crew... in which case you're probaby looking at a bunch of rednecks, to use the old Terran stereotype."

Boog

Rickardo continued to listen in. Possible primitave sentients? Dangerous yes, but the man had mentioned filter packs may be used, which could in turn give Rickardo access to parts that could be used to make that air filter he'd always wanted. He immediatly discarded this idea. The risks outweighed the benefits, and there would probably be plenty of safer times that would warrent his using a filter pack.
He noticed Angel looking around. Fighter class human. She's probably hoping for risks. With that little reminder that he was on a ship full of organics, Rickardo focused on his screen again, checking to see if the computer had any other information about the planet that they would doubtlessly end up examining. Just keep your head down and do your job...

lucas marcone

Ian walked in with the sort of self confidance that the lizard men always showed. "If there are infact some monkies runin round down there that are stupid nuff to try 'n' take us on, leave em to me!" With that  statement Ian held up two blaster type rifles, similar to the ones the storm troopers used in starwars. He did always have a sadistic glee when talking about riddleing things with his blasters. He then plopped into a chair and started singing "the blood song" from the new My Chemical Romance CD

bill

Miles chimed in. "Yeah, uh, folks, I'd just like to make it clear, that we did have some similar events happen back with SPC. There was a massive government insurrection while we were scouting, and it took some doing to get out, even with twelve armed guards with us. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that, however unlikely resistance is, I'd, well, overdress, if you get what I mean."

Stygian

Since he was probably not going to have much more idle time, and since he had gotten his things together, Sebastian sat up and slid off his bed, hitting the metal floor with a distinct thunk from his boots. He pawed the comm pad off his table and placed it in his pocket, put on his glasses and straightened his coat and then smoothly walked off toward the bridge, humming quietly. On the way he snuffed out his cigarette with his fingers. Last time he had been smoking outside quarters he'd almost thought Angel would kick him in the face for it.

lucas marcone

"Well Miles, if there are only some primitive races running around on the surface we may have no need to shoot anything. I mean even if this is some kind of cargo worship, experence has taught me that primitive cultures are more prone to a bewildered fear of outsiders reather than an agressive fear. But i still say we take one or two rifles just in case." Ian said waveing around a bowe knife as he talked.

ITOS

Angel glanced at Ian and raised an eyebrow. Some people are too quick to resort to violence. She though. Most enemies are quite easy to convince to put down their weapons... after you have detailed how you would crush them if they tried anything stupid. Angel smiled to herself. Maybe it was because of that way of thinking everyone else in her squad had higher kill counts than her.

Stygian

"'Tis a shameful thing, to think o' fightin' as a firs' option, Ian," Sebastian said in his characteristically deep voice while he practically glided in on the bridge, the Nithalan accent in his speech thick as ever. "An' put tha' cursed thing down, 'efore you skin tha' snout of yours worse than 'e already is." His face was slightly bitter, as usual, when he turned to Miles.
   "Far as 'e seems, I'd be surprised if we need worryin' more about the sentients than some bugs an' beasts tha' migh' be there, an' if we manage ourselves surely no' even tha'. I's no risk for police or military bein' there, an' we should be clear 'less some people" - his eyes went to Ian for just a fraction of a second - "do som'n... rash. How close to the ship can we set down?" he said, and leaned back against a wall with his arms folded across his chest.

lucas marcone

"First option my TUKUS! You know that i negotiate first threaten second and bust caps (more or less) last! An' you should lighten up!"
Ian threw his bowe knife in a high slow arch at Sebastian, giveing him ample time to catch it.

Stygian

Sebastian easily felt the knife zooming against him. He slid up his left hand at the last moment and snatched the knife in the air in between his index finger and thumb, the rest of him perfectly still. Quickly spinning the knife around in a simple loop he then placed it balanced between his both ring fingers, one at the base of the hilt and the other at the tip of the blade. The rest of him remained perfectly still.
   "Ligh'nin up has nothin' to do with it," he stated coolly. "You mentioned survivors. Wha' then would be the state of the riggin' and ship's integrated systems? Ev'n a century ago 'e was customary to har'wire cert'n cargo with... security devices."

Azlan

"I so hope for some type of culture!  For with a people comes... FOOD!  I so love to try local cuisine!"  Locklear's expression darkened, "However, my last experience in first contact situations was similar to what Miles mentioned.  Not a fun time, managed to get hurt in that one.  Got a nice bonus and lifetime stipend for the ordeal."

The Valallain smiled weakly after his comment, "I do hope they are not hostile.  Oh and stop throwing dangerous objects around the bridge or the captain will surely confiscate them and fine you for the faux pas."

lucas marcone

"I was just wondering if we could get a translateor for sebastion." said Ian. "I thought my race was hard to understand! guess i took five years of Standard Galactic all for nought." Ian shot a quick seedy grin to Sebastian.

Stygian

"Hmph. An' still it di'n improve your appearances," Sebastian said grinning to Ian, the sharp, light-reflecting green pupils of his eyes just visible as he tilted his head and looked over the rim of his dark glasses. He straightened, and then spun the knife yet again, throwing it hilt-first like a spear against Ian's crotch. "So 'ntschuldig'n S'e b'ette meine Sprach, Tyer." The last statement was delivered with more of a chill.
   "They're primitives, an' likely harmless such. An' we want to keep it tha' way. But if they don' stay off us, I'm guessing I'll have to have some 'o the locals for cuisine," Sebastian said, as plainly as if he had been talking about the weather, facing Locklear. "'S why I think we shoul' have tha' wisdom to try an' leave them alone."

Eibborn

Miki pokes his head in the door- he must have been passing and overheard. He is carrying a tool box, and walking on four limbs. He smiles at the others and says, "Speaking o' cuisine, Oi don't suppose we could pick up some eatables on th' planet? Some actual meat'd do me well. Protein suppl'ments are no substitute, no matter how well they're prepared. Jus' a thought, if we've got any toime left over."
/kicks the internet over

Boog

Rickardo's intense focus on his work (The other members of the crew are throwing Chk'takking weapons at each other on the Chk'takking DECK!?) is broken my Miki's interjection.
"Kkkt. If I may second that?" He adds nervously, raising a hand,  "Taste is not too great an issue, but I require rations with a few more mineral componants. That, and I believe I speak for many when I say that I am quite sick of living off of tofu blocks, noodles, and whatever else the higher ups thought would be the cheapest food to transport."

bill

"Well, if you want food down there, I'm guessing you shoot it yourself," Jeg said, "That probably is against company regulations, but, you know, what the hell. It's not as if anyone reads those anyway."

ITOS

When did things move from potentially dangerous situations to food? Angel was not intrested in food. You eat it and your body use it, that's it.

"Have we decided to accept the mission?" She asked, trying to get the discussion back to things that intrested her. "In which case we could say goodbye to the station and be on our way."

Stygian

Sebastian smiled bitterly. "I have no objections. After sittin' on this here hulk for mon's on end, I'm quie' keen on gettin' to move about a bit. 'Sides I only have two more jobs this size left for a bonus."

Aldoun

The communications officer, mr Thivirith as Miles had correctly pointed out, was off-duty and had been enjoying a bit of restfull sleep earlier on. As the message and the talks around it began Verain was just finished suiting up and on the way up to the majority of the crew. Shi arrived in time to catch the last few lines and decides to add something.

"If they didn't expect us to be able to supplement our rations they shouldn't have packed what they did. As long as whatever we might kill isn't going to throw the natives, if there are any, into a furious rage it should be fine, if it's edible. As for the mission I'll leave the decision to you. But a decision would be good as the good sir pointed out."

Whether the gender slip up was intentional or not, or even realised by the one who made it wasn't apparent. But given the monogender society shi came from it could easily be utterly unintentional.

lucas marcone

The knife hit Ian square in the groinic region. "EEEEEYEAHHHHHH HOO HOO HOOIE!......Had ya goin didn't I?" He picked up the knife and gave a good knock on something hard where the knife had hit. "When ya have such s*** luck with the ladies these babies become part of the standard uniform." He was obviously refering to his cup. Then he stood up and started out of the room. "I've business too attend to." and started for the restroom.